2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Book #5 - Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives

Okay, so I gave up on this book halfway through. I reserved it at my library as it's one of the few, newish e-books they had and it had fairly decent reviews. I didn't read past the first three words of the title and thought it was some chick-lit book.

No, it's a non-fiction book about six younger women who've lost their spouses and the challenges they face as being "non-traditional" widows. It started out sort of interesting but that there was just too much introspection on the part of the author throughout.

Anyway, not my thing but it is probably a VERY GOOD read for anyone who has lost their spouse at an early age and needs to start life over again, essentially. I think there is a valid point of view there.

I rarely give up on a book but I've go so many in the library queue now and I've only got 21 days to read them all.

Started The Death of Bees last night and it seems promising.

Took a short break from reading but back at it. Decided to read The Shoemakers Wife. I'm liking it quite a bit.

Goal 72

#12 Messenger by Lois Lowry

This is the 3rd book of the Giver Quartet. I just love these books!! Starting on the final one of the series today.

Goal - 50 books

Book #13 - "Pompeii" by Robert Harris

This book takes place in the days leading up to the eruption of Vesuvius. Something funny has happened to the water source and an engineer is sent to find out what. While there he stumbles upon blackmail, intrigue and romance. Of course, it ends with the volcano erupting, and all the chaos that came with it.

I enjoyed this book, but wouldn't go out of my way to read it again. Some of the characters were well written, but there were way too many stereotypes.

Next up: "Daddy's Girl" by Lisa Scottoline, and still working on "Team of Rivals."

So what does everyone think of the Anne of Green Gables brouhaha?

I can't link the article but Amazon has the first three books as a set for sale and the picture shows Anne as a busty blonde leaning on a haystack.

BOOOOO maybe they need to read the books they are selling.

I can't link the article but Amazon has the first three books as a set for sale and the picture shows Anne as a busty blonde leaning on a haystack.

Ok, your post caught my eye and I went to amazon to check it out and all I have to say is what the heck?! I mean, let's not even mention the lack of red hair but what kind of cover is that? The book series is one of my favorites but that cover looks like some self-published drivel

Took a short break from reading but back at it. Decided to read The Shoemakers Wife. I'm liking it quite a bit.

I just finished that one last week. Can't say I LOVED it, but it was a beautiful story.

I downloaded this one a few days ago, someone reviw it soon! currios if i really wanna read it!

So I wanna up my goal! Im gonna go for 50!!!

Haha, I saw this!! You're up to 50! :wizard:

I just went to look and yikes! that's a really weird cover! Definitely not the Anne of Green Gables I know. More like Annie from down on the farm...

I've been missing for a few weeks. January got a little crazy, we took our first family trip to Disney so I didn't get much reading done with all that craziness. Now I'm back and back to reading! Last I posted, I had only read 4 books. I've read 4 so far since we've been back, my favorite being The Long Winter from the Little House series :goodvibes I just ordered The Aviator's wife from Barnes and Noble. I'm excited to get that and read that.

So my total so far for the year is 8. I better get crackin' on my goal of 100!

Goal 72

#12 Messenger by Lois Lowry

This is the 3rd book of the Giver Quartet. I just love these books!! Starting on the final one of the series today.

I've got this on hold on our virtual library. The regular library doesn't have it! The hold is taking FOREVER!!!

Goal: 52 books this year

Book #10 down and done.

A Fatal Grace by Louise Perry. The death of CC de Poitiers, a low-level Martha Stewart wannabe, baffles the head of the Surete du Quebec, as there are an abundance of suspects and motives. The death of a homeless street person complicates matters and the ending was completely surprising. This is the second in the series, and I'm still looking for the first so I can get all the characters straight in my mind.

#11 - 1939: The Last Season of Peace, by Angela Lambert. This book is a recollection of the 1939 season of the presentation of debutants in pre-war London. Wouldn't appeal to everyone but I'm an big Anglophile, and I'm fascinated with this era.

Queen Colleen

I have a few more to add.

15/52 - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover -- Wow! This one was good. A love story but so much more. This is pretty near a 5/5.

16/52 - Maid for Love by Marie Force (The McCarthy's of Gansett Island) - I'd liked her suspense series ("Fatal"....), but this one was more of an ordinary chick lit love story. I think it's the first in a series, but I don't anticipate buying the others.

17/52 - The Single Daddy Club: Derrick -- Pretty ordinary. Cliche epilogue. Got it for free on Kindle and it's the first in a series. I don't anticipate buying the others.

18/52 - Text Appeal by Lexi Ryan - Cute, sexy chit lit. Takes place in Vegas; it's always nice to read something with an interesting locale. I'll look for more by this author. I really liked the strength of the male lead in this.

Yay!!! I finally finished #2!

I started #3 last night-

Whole Lotta Trouble by Stephanie Bond

I'm on my phone so I'll edit a description in tomorrow.

I have a few more to add.

15/52 - Hopeless by Colleen Hoover -- Wow! This one was good. A love story but so much more. This is pretty near a 5/5.

I have this one on my list too. Can't wait to read it!! But I think I'm going to try and hold off until the summer. Sounds like a great book for poolside. :thumbsup2

:crazy2: Her red hair is so important to the stories!

Finished book #6: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

This is a great book! Such a sad story though. You do have to follow the story closely to keep track of which characters & what time each chapter is happening in. Definitely worth reading!

A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book—a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday, they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and very little to go on, "Nell" sets out to trace her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell’s death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. A spellbinding tale of mystery and self-discovery, The Forgotten Garden will take hold of your imagination and never let go.

Book 7 of 100

Bound by Kira Saito (Young Adult Paranormal Fantasy / Romance)

Description by Amazon: Sixteen year old Arelia LaRue lives in New Orleans where the music is loud, voodoo queens inhabit every street corner, and the ghosts are alive and well. Despite her surroundings, all she wants is to help her Grand-mere Bea pay the rent and save up for college.

When her best friend Sabrina convinces her to take a well-paying summer job at the infamous Darkwood plantation, owned by the wealthy LaPlante family, Arelia agrees.

However, at Darkwood nothing is what is seems. Arelia enters a world full of tricky spirits, strange characters and forbidden love.

In the intoxicating world of New Orleans Hoodoo/Voodoo expect the unexpected!

I found this book on Amazon's free list. It is book one of the Arelie LaRue series. I was unsure at first, but found myself to be sucked into the story and wanting to find out more. I hate, I mean hate, the ending as it leaves you hanging (Did I mention that I hate that! :confused:). And because of how it ends, I may have to pick up book two to see if I want to keep reading the series.

This is a great book! Such a sad story though. You do have to follow the story closely to keep track of which characters & what time each chapter is happening in. Definitely worth reading!

A tiny girl is abandoned on a ship headed for Australia in 1913. She arrives completely alone with nothing but a small suitcase containing a few clothes and a single book—a beautiful volume of fairy tales. She is taken in by the dockmaster and his wife and raised as their own. On her twenty-first birthday, they tell her the truth, and with her sense of self shattered and very little to go on, "Nell" sets out to trace her real identity. Her quest leads her to Blackhurst Manor on the Cornish coast and the secrets of the doomed Mountrachet family. But it is not until her granddaughter, Cassandra, takes up the search after Nell’s death that all the pieces of the puzzle are assembled. A spellbinding tale of mystery and self-discovery, The Forgotten Garden will take hold of your imagination and never let go.

Ooh! Sounds good.

So many books! So little time!

Kristen

I have that one on my "to read" list. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the great review!

So many books! So little time!

Kristen

My sentiments EXACTLY!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter