Zombie Apocalypse and Pixie Dust - A 2 week Disneymoon (PTR link 11/14)

Day 0 part 2 - An Evening of Appetizers

I didn't explicitly mention it in my first update, but one big pixie dust was that our room was ready when we checked-in. After we dropped off our bags (and after I checked for bed bugs) we made our way to Everything POP, which is part souvenir store, part food court.
028.jpg

We got our refillable that came with the QSDP.
We got our wedding colors!
DSC03004.jpg

We were starving! We got an Angus BBQ burger and fries to share, with a bottle of water and a fruit cup. It was plenty enough for the both of us. I'm sorry, we forgot to take a picture. I promise this did not happen too often. Here are some more pictures of the food court instead.

Two of the four counters serving food:
DSC03232.jpg

Grab N Go section
DSC03231.jpg

DSC03229.jpg

Cashiers
DSC03230.jpg

Drinks, condiments, microwave and such station
DSC03233.jpg

For those of you who followed my PTR you may remember that we were considering many different options as to what to do on arrival day. I had often mentioned to DH that we would probably just take a nap since we had to get up so early to be at the airport. He, however, thought we would be way too excited to just rest and that we would for sure want to do something. So, who was right?

I was! It was about 3pm by the time we finished eating lunch. We went back to the room to nap/watch TV until about 5pm. We got ready then walked around the resort a little. We didn't take many pictures, but we took a bigger walk later in the trip.
026.jpg

We went to the bus stop. In the 15 minutes it took for the MK bus to show we saw three HS buses. AT MK we did not go in (we only had 10 park days tickets and did not want to *waste* them on less than a full day), but went straight to the ferry that goes tot the TTC.
DSC02533.jpg

DSC02537.jpg

I love being on a boat! We went on the upper deck, there was a nice breeze.
DSC02534.jpg

DSC02535.jpg

It was also getting close to sunset so it was quite pretty.
DSC02538.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

I quite enjoy the walk from the TTC to the Poly. It's so close! And very pretty.
DSC02541.jpg

DSC02543.jpg

We were way too early for our ADR so we just walked around and enjoyed the beautiful grounds.
DSC02544.jpg

DSC02545.jpg

DSC02555.jpg

We sat on a swing on the beach, looking at the Magic Kingdom. It was so nice to slow down and soak it all in. We finally were at Disney. So close to the Magic Kingdom, but can't go in just yet.

We saw quite a few animals
DSC02547.jpg

DSC02552.jpg

DSC02553.jpg

DSC02556.jpg

DSC02557.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Day 0 part 2 - An Evening of Appetizers

We walked around some more. Oh how we would love to stay at the Poly one day!
DSC02561.jpg

DSC02560.jpg

DSC02562.jpg

Saw an impromptu hidden Mickey
DSC02563.jpg

Wedding Pavilion. We are so renewing our vows there when we win the lottery. yes, I said when, not if. Gotta think positive! :laughing:
DSC02564.jpg

We went inside and checked out the lobby.
DSC02567.jpg

We looked through the shop, where we almost bought this cute Lilo & Stitch picture frame. I was hesitating between two, which were both on sale. I couldn't decide which one so I thought I'd come back later to get it, but I never did. :sad2:
DSC02570.jpg

We went in the art store where I feel in love with many of the artworks. I picked out all the ones I want to buy when we win the jackpot. ;) Sorry, was too mesmerized to take pictures.

More hidden Mickeys
DSC02568.jpg

DSC02569.jpg

Our ADR for the night was Kona Cafe
DSC02575.jpg

Before checking in we checked out the sushi bar
DSC02572.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

We were handed a pager. I only had time to take this photo before we were called in
DSC02574.jpg

We were seated in a cute little booth in a corner near the dessert bar. It felt a little more private and quiet than the rest of the restaurant so I was quite pleased.

Our drinks were Island Sunset for Ron and Kona Cool Sundown for me. Ron thought his drink was very tasty and sorta like a smoothie.
DSC02576.jpg

As for me, I kinda wish I hadn't been persuaded out of trying the other drink I was hesitating between as my drink was basically a regular vodka-cranberry. Good, just not special.
DSC02577.jpg

Our waitress was Malia and she was very nice. She took our picture.
DSC02578.jpg

First we got the most DELICIOUS bread I have ever tasted! I believe it's a sweet bread (so warm and soft!) with an unbelievable macadamia nut butter. It taste like food sent from heaven! I could have ate just that and be happy, but I stopped myself. Sorry for no picture, but it just looks like normal bread.

Ron also got Tuna Poke as an appetizer, which he said was amazing. It's a slightly spicy, slightly salty tuna salad served on a crispy cracker.
DSC02579.jpg

Despite the awesome food (or maybe because of it) Ron is starting to feel quite tired and a bit queasy. It's been a long day. Will we last until Wishes?

For our entrees I got Pan-Asian Noodles. The noodles were tasty, but the chicken was a tiny bit bland. It was also very filling (okay, maybe it was the bread...), so I took the rest to go.
DSC02581.jpg

Ron got a very good New York Strip Teriyaki Steak with rice.It was extremmely filling however. He said he was to stuffed to think! Hahaha
DSC02580.jpg

We're way too full for dessert, so we pay and leave. As much as I like to stay for Wishes, I too am very tired and Wishes is still 90 minutes away. No way we can last that long.

I feel like being on a boat again so we make our way to the dock. We have a bit of a wait for the boat, but leave just before the Electric Water Pageant starts. We do get to see a little of it as we head towards MK. Kinda like an appetizer of what's to come. So nice to feel the breeze again.
DSC02587.jpg

DSC02583.jpg

DSC02584.jpg

As we exit the boat we have yet another appetizer: a glimpse of the Main Street Electrical Parade through the tunnels under the train station.

Then as we walk towards the bus we get our last "appetizer" of the evening: a glimpse at another night time show; the fireworks from Illuminations.

There is no wait for the bus and it's almost empty as the parade is still going on. We are back at POP by 9:30pm, watch a little TV and finally go to bed.

Up Next, which character is flirting with me and who's a true gentleman?

Great start to your trip! Love seeing the pics of POP Century- one of my favorite places to stay!

Cannot wait to read all about your honeymoon!!!

Glad you are here! I can understand why POP is one of your favorite places to stay, we had an awesome time there!

We set out to try every resort. We stayed at the Beach Club, Boardwalk villas, SSR, POR, CBR, CSR, POP, All Star Movies, Sports, and Music. We easily found our favorites and just keep on repeating. We ARE trying a new one in December, POFQ.

So lucky!! Which ones are your favorites? Out of those you mentioned I'd love to try Beach Club the most. POFQ is the next resort I would stay at if we can afford moderate.

It sounds like you had a great first day! Yay for getting your king bed request! And it sounds like your location was great. That is so important! Love the view, too! I really want to stay at Pop sometime. It looks like such a fun place.

Your Poly pictures are making me want to go back so badly! I just love that resort, even more so now after the fact. Dinner at Kona sounds yummy! :goodvibes

Your trip report is bringing back fond memories of my own Disneymoon in 2009. We also stayed at Pop and fell in love with the resort. It is just such a fun place to stay. And we also started our Disneymoon off with dinner at Kona. You are right, that bread is awesome! I can't wait to read more.

That's alot of appetizers! ;) How wonderful that you got to wet your appetite for Disney as you went to and from dinner.

This is the 2nd review of Kona I've seen for dinner. I'm sold! We will try it sometime! Ate lunch there years ago with TLinden16, but we didn't get that sweet bread!

The Poly is such a beautiful resort! The landscaping is so pretty. IMHO it has one of the prettiest lobbies, so lush and tropical. I've been to the Poly a gazillion times and I don't remember seeing that stream. Will have to look for it the next time we head there.

You were just steps away from a Dole Whip machine when you took pics of the waterslide and pool. Right behind you at Capt'n Cooks!! You could have had dessert as the first course, as you tried out the hammock!

Love the pics of Pop too! Did you get to do the hustle during your stay? The button they give out for it is cute.

So lucky!! Which ones are your favorites? Out of those you mentioned I'd love to try Beach Club the most. POFQ is the next resort I would stay at if we can afford moderate.

My husband and I have been married 20 years!! Perhaps in another 20 years your list will grow as well!

My favorite value is POP!! (though we were very sad when they removed the slushy machines!!)

Favorite MOD so far is CSR!!!! (once I stay at POFQ for 1st time, I will be more definative on favorite MOD)

Favorite DVC resort is SSR!! (stayed at SSR and BWV, but have visited friends when they stayed at OKW, BCV, and AKV.)

The only deluxe we stayed at was the Beach Club. We stayed there our first 2 Disney vacations. The first time was right after we were married. The second time was when oldest son was a toddler. I'd love to stay there again some time!! IMHO, Storm along Bay is THE BEST pool on property!!! Just can't justify the difference in price for BC. I'd rather stay more often at a less expensive resort!!

Thanks for sharing the pics of Everything Pop! :thumbsup2

Yeah, I can imagine you guys would be tired after being up so early that day but yay on having a teaser of things to come! Love that you took the ferry over to TTC and then walked to the Poly - I would also love to stay at that resort one day! :laughing:

Sounds like you had a great first night meal.

It sounds like you had a great first day! Yay for getting your king bed request! And it sounds like your location was great. That is so important! Love the view, too! I really want to stay at Pop sometime. It looks like such a fun place.

Your Poly pictures are making me want to go back so badly! I just love that resort, even more so now after the fact. Dinner at Kona sounds yummy! :goodvibes

We were so lucky with the location and the king bed.
It might be hard coming from a dream honeymoon at the Poly and going to a value, but as long as you don't expect something similar you could be fine. POP is great!

Your trip report is bringing back fond memories of my own Disneymoon in 2009. We also stayed at Pop and fell in love with the resort. It is just such a fun place to stay. And we also started our Disneymoon off with dinner at Kona. You are right, that bread is awesome! I can't wait to read more.

How cool that we both Disneymooned at POP and ate at Kona first. :goodvibes

That's alot of appetizers! ;) How wonderful that you got to wet your appetite for Disney as you went to and from dinner.

This is the 2nd review of Kona I've seen for dinner. I'm sold! We will try it sometime! Ate lunch there years ago with TLinden16, but we didn't get that sweet bread!

The Poly is such a beautiful resort! The landscaping is so pretty. IMHO it has one of the prettiest lobbies, so lush and tropical. I've been to the Poly a gazillion times and I don't remember seeing that stream. Will have to look for it the next time we head there.

You were just steps away from a Dole Whip machine when you took pics of the waterslide and pool. Right behind you at Capt'n Cooks!! You could have had dessert as the first course, as you tried out the hammock!

Love the pics of Pop too! Did you get to do the hustle during your stay? The button they give out for it is cute.

We really couldn't have asked for a better first day, getting a little taste of everything before really jumping into it.

You have to try that bread! I'm craving it right now. I think Kona might have to become a regular place for us.

The stream is somewhere between Samoa, the great ceremonial house and the volcano pool.

Though Dole Whip would've been great, I needed to be as hungry as possible for the greatness of Kona. But we did get to try it later on in the trip. ;)

My husband and I have been married 20 years!! Perhaps in another 20 years your list will grow as well!

My favorite value is POP!! (though we were very sad when they removed the slushy machines!!)

Favorite MOD so far is CSR!!!! (once I stay at POFQ for 1st time, I will be more definative on favorite MOD)

Favorite DVC resort is SSR!! (stayed at SSR and BWV, but have visited friends when they stayed at OKW, BCV, and AKV.)

The only deluxe we stayed at was the Beach Club. We stayed there our first 2 Disney vacations. The first time was right after we were married. The second time was when oldest son was a toddler. I'd love to stay there again some time!! IMHO, Storm along Bay is THE BEST pool on property!!! Just can't justify the difference in price for BC. I'd rather stay more often at a less expensive resort!!

I don't know that we'll ever have the budget to travel to Disney more often than every 5-6 years, but I sure hope so! We might celebrate each milestone anniversary there...

Thanks for sharing the pics of Everything Pop! :thumbsup2

Yeah, I can imagine you guys would be tired after being up so early that day but yay on having a teaser of things to come! Love that you took the ferry over to TTC and then walked to the Poly - I would also love to stay at that resort one day! :laughing:

Sounds like you had a great first night meal.

Poly is our dream resort. It's got the best of everything for us : the tropical setting I love so much, on the monorail, view of Wishes, a great pool. Ron just priced out for fun how much it would cost us to stay there in the best possible room concierge level for 2 weeks, with premium annual passes, and it came to a total over 12,000$. Where's that lottery ticket? :rotfl:

Reading about your Kona dinner made me hungry! That Tuna appetizer looks really yummy! And I could eat pounds of Kona's bread... soooo good!

HI! Joining in! What a great arrival day. I can't wait to read more. A two-week Disneymoon is my dream honeymoon. :goodvibes

Reading about your Kona dinner made me hungry! That Tuna appetizer looks really yummy! And I could eat pounds of Kona's bread... soooo good!

I wish there was a way to have that bread delivered to my home right now. :laughing:

HI! Joining in! What a great arrival day. I can't wait to read more. A two-week Disneymoon is my dream honeymoon. :goodvibes

:welcome: It really was a dream honeymoon.

I don't have any plans for today other than to RELAX! so I should be able to put up another update later. :)

Day 1 part 1 - "Hey Rafiki! That's MY Wife!"

Our first park day! We got up at 7am, which became our regular time. Ron had my leftover noodles for breakfast while I got some cereals and milk from the food court.

By 8am we were on a bus to Animal Kingdom. It's our second trip and both times we've started in this park. Maybe next time we'll try something new?

029.jpg

032.jpg

Since we got there so early we are front and center at the rope for the little show. I remember two years ago rope drop was on Discovery Island, but this it's in the Oasis, steps away from the turnstiles.

035.jpg

Hidden Mickey on the right

039.jpg

Our first ride of the trip is something we missed last time: Kilimanjaro Safari. We get FP for later and then walk on the ride.

041.jpg

I have about 50 safari pictures, so I'll just post a few.

DSC02597.jpg

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

DSC02609.jpg

I really enjoyed the safari and how long it lasts, but I was a bit disappointed not to see any giraffes.

We exit the safari and go to Asia to get FPs for Kali River Rapid. We get a photopass picture taken along the way.

Speaking of which, I hope I get the CD not too long after I order it so I can include the pictures in the TR. Anyone know how long it takes to receive it?

Back in Africa Ron gets a coffee while I take some photos.

DSC02614.jpg

DSC02619.jpg

It was not really crowded yet.

DSC02616.jpg

DSC02618.jpg

We want to go to Rafiki's Planet Watch so Ron asks if he's allowed to bring his coffee on the train. The CM jokes that it'll only be a problem if Ron spills some on himself. Haha So on the train we go.

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

Ron and his coffee, which he did not spill.

DSC02625.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

As we approach the Conservation Station a CM hands me what looks like a brown rock. I take it then ask what it is. Rhino poop. Oh great! LOL

DSC02631.jpg

Inside a CM is a presentation on owls. It's interesting so we listen in. One girl, about 9-10, happens to be fascinated with owls so that was nice for her!

DSC02637.jpg

In the vet lab some rats are getting their annual check-up. I was looking forward to seeing vets work on some animal, but they are not talking through the procedure at all so it's kinda boring.

DSC02638.jpg

A couple of characters are coming out so we get in line to meet them. First up is Rafiki. He keeps giving me kisses and flirting with me, while making weird noises every time he looks at Ron, kinda saying to him "I don't like you". Ron doesn't like him either.

DSC02639.jpg

I'm having a blast!

DSC02640.jpg

Ron and Rafiki stop fighting long enough to get a good picture
DSC02641.jpg

When it was time to leave Rafiki he kissed my hand... then my arm... then my cheek. He wouldn't let me go! Ron had to grab hold of my other arm and pull me away. "Hey Rafiki! That's MY Wife!" I was loving all the attention. When do you ever get your husband and a monkey fight over you?

Next up is Jiminy Cricket. When he realizes it's our honeymoon he insists on Ron and I standing close together. What a gentleman!

DSC02643.jpg

While waiting in line for Jiminy Cricket we were looking at this guy acting like a monkey and rolling on the floor. I think he was trying to attract kids to the kidcot station (is that how they are called in AK?). He was hilarious!

DSC02644.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Really enjoying the TR so far! I love the looks of Pop! I want to stay there someday, but it will probably have to wait until I'm off on my own because we're DVC members now! :banana:

Yay Kona! I love that place. The bread is AMAZING. I always get the steak that Ron got. :thumbsup2 Delish!

LOL about Rafiki and Ron fighting over you. Too cute.

Can't wait for more!

Day 1 part 1 cont'd - "Hey Rafiki! That's MY Wife!"

I forgot to get an autograph from Rafiki so I went back. I forgot to say please, so he wasn't sure if he wanted to sign or not. His handler was joking with him, telling him to make sure to spell his name right. He made a crazy motion then pointed at her. He drew a heart next to his name. I love you too Rafiki!

We continued exploring the Conservation Station and went into a sound booth to listen to sounds of the rainforest. The darkness and the rain sounds were making me sleepy so we didn't stay in there long.

I walked back towards the entrance because I wanted to find at least one hidden Mickey in the mural that I had seen in another TR (thanks Mickeytoonstown!)

DSC02645.jpg

We went outside to the petting station where a very nice CM gave us tips on romantic things to do in Disney. We already knew them (like visiting other resorts such as the Poly and watching Wishes from there), but we listened and thanked her.

A kid came up to her and asked about a hidden Mickey on a black sheep. Turns out they shaved a Mickey head on it's butt. Cute! We tried taking a picture, but the sheep was sleeping and we failed. Here's me with another sheep instead.

059.jpg

We took the train back to Harambe.

DSC02647.jpg

DSC02649.jpg

We were allowed to get new FPs so we chose Expedition Everest. We then walked to Dinosaur, but the line was out of the building so we turned around. the 11:45am presentation of Finding Nemo was about to start so we went in. Awwww, air conditioning!

DSC02650.jpg

061.jpg

Ron absolutely adored the show! It's his new favorite. I liked it too, but I still prefer Festival of the Lion King.

We walked back to Dinosaur to get FPs then it was time for lunch. We chose Yak & Yeti where we both got the honey chicken.

We were both hot and hungry so things got a little tense while trying to find a place to sit and I forgot to take a picture. Sorry. Anyway it's in one of those chinese food boxes so you can't really see anything. It also makes it hard to eat because all the rice is at the bottom and we like to have a bit of both in the same bite (rice and chicken). Probably didn't help that we were eating on a tiny and unstable round table.

We had gotten frozen lemonade for dessert, but we were both so full that we gave them away to a family sitting nearby. I liked passing on some pixie dust.

This part of the TR doesn't have enough pictures, so here's one of my a shadow of my ears.

DSC02651.jpg

We really needed a place to get out of the heat again so we went to watch It's Tough to be a Bug. This show makes me laugh, I like it a lot!

063.jpg

Then we got our 5th set of FP for the day, EE again. We hadn't even started using them! And no, that's not our record number of fastpasses held at one time.

DSC02652.jpg

We finally started using our FP and rode Everest.

064.jpg

I didn't feel as bad as I did two years ago, but I still hated the backward part. It's such a beautiful coaster, but it makes me queasy.

We used our Dinosaur FPs next. I love the ride, but I don't get how people are so scared. It's a lot of fun, but the big dinosaur doesn't startle me at all. And I'm someone who is scared easily!

Remember how I said EE did not make me feel that bad? Well, I take it back. I was HOT and no matter how much water I drank I did not feel better. Our water was kinda warm so I got a cup of ice water, which helped a bit. But then we had to walk in the scorching sun to Kali River Rapid.

I was getting worried about overheating and Ron was getting grumpy because of my non-desire to ride EE again. I think the fact that we were going on KRR was not helping his grumpiness since he hates getting wet.

Speaking of which, even with FPs it took a little while to get on the ride. Maybe 15 minutes, which is not incredibly long, but in the heat it felt worse.

065.jpg

066.jpg

068.jpg

070.jpg

Here comes the wave!

071.jpg

I got partly soaked, but unfortunately not my head. It did help make me feel better though.

073.jpg

074.jpg

We walked through the Maharaja Trek

DSC02653.jpg

Even the tiger was hot and was in the pool

078.jpg

077.jpg

Here are some more pictures from the trek. It's such a beautiful place with lots of details!

079.jpg

083.jpg

086.jpg

090.jpg

089.jpg

Up Next, more characters interactions thanks to my ears.

Really enjoying the TR so far! I love the looks of Pop! I want to stay there someday, but it will probably have to wait until I'm off on my own because we're DVC members now! :banana:

Yay Kona! I love that place. The bread is AMAZING. I always get the steak that Ron got. :thumbsup2 Delish!

LOL about Rafiki and Ron fighting over you. Too cute.

Can't wait for more!

yay! I'm so glad you joined in. :cool1:

So jealous that you are DVC members! Is that new from your recent trip?

At first Kona was just a place for us to eat before watching Wishes, but it turned out to be the highlight of the night and now a new favorite. :wizard:

Rafiki was awesome. :lovestruc

OMG Yaaayyy! I am so happy to see you started you TR. I have not read it yet, but I wanted to let you know I'm in!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter