• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Your Zippity Doo Dah tip for the day! Where NOT to put moleskin. Day 5

jennymouse

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/"targe
Your Cast of Characters: Me, Skye, my DGD8 & Lynn, my friend/coworker & first timer.

We're going to attempt to do Animal Kingdom again today. That is if the Bus God's are willing. There is so much at Animal Kingdom that Skye and I still haven't seen/done and I've vowed to bypass some of the things we've done twice and experience some knew things. We have a "plan" this morning for getting on that bus. Instead of sitting on one of the benches as you first enter the area, we claimed a bench right next to where the bus stops & opens the doors then we'll hop up and be one of the first in line. The wait for the bus is about 25 minutes and again it's crowded when it arrives, but because of our "plan" we get on. I have Skye sit on my lap so a lady holding a baby can sit down.

Because of the lateness of the bus, there's already long lines waiting to get in. The talking tree that Skye always loves is there and comments about all the "things" in her hair. (ponytail holder, etc.) Skye knows that the characters are just real people dressed up, but this tree has no room for anyone to be inside it so it is still magical to her how it can know she has things in her hair.LOL

I look over and see that Rainforest Cafe is open and decide to impress my friend with my insider secrets. I've never done this before because I usually get there early enough to be up closer in the line. I whispered to the girls to follow me, that I knew a secret entrance. Inside, I make my way to the back entrance to the park. The doors were closed but not blocked or locked so out I go. Bells, whistle and sirens go off....A helicopter swoops down from overhead and someone on a bullhorn shouts "Stop, you can't enter that way!" Well, there really wasn't any bells, whistles, sirens or helecopters, but a RFC employee informs me politely that I had to wait at the doors...it was Disney's new rule not thiers.:rolleyes: Well, this was new to me and I'm an informed DISer! Another man was coming through the same door as we were about to go in but he was stopped in his tracks too. We decided that at least we weren't waiting in the hot sun so it was still a good secret. Anyway, we're forced to go back inside and shop for a couple minutes before heading in.

We headed to the safari ride but since we weren't able to make full use of the secret entrance there was already a line. We grabbed a FastPass and went to Tusker House for one of those hot cinnomon rolls I had my mouth twisted up for yesterday and didn't get. I took the girls around back to where the fake kitchen noises are but don't tell them it's fake for a while. When I did I don't think they believed me. After breakfast, it was on to the safari.

It was a good one with lots of animals, but an animal got in the road ahead and stopped a whole row of vehicles. We weren't in a good spot for it but I'm sure others enjoyed the chance to take pictures etc. without the bouncing around. It was the best safari ride I've had. Even the lion was up and scaling the rocks this time. Afterwards we went and saw Festival of the Lion King. Excellent show as usual. Now it was time to do/see some things we haven't done/seen before, so it was off to Asia. I looked for Devine on the way but didn't see her.:( We grabbed a FastPass for Kali River Rapids then went to see Flights of Wonder, nice show. Skye got to go up and participate in the show.

Afterwards, we took the trail and saw the Tigers, aviary, etc. then went on Kali River Rapids with the FastPass. It was fun, but way too short for as wet as you get. I wouldn't have minded getting wet for a longer ride, but it's like the rides whole purpose is to drench you then dump you.

After the soaking we decided we needed to shop a bit before heading out. We had tickets for Enight this evening and I wanted to try to get Skye to take a nap this afternoon. I was uncomfortable shopping in soaking wet jeans shorts and could tell I was getting chaffed on the insides of my thighs. We'd talked about going to AKL for lunch so Lynn could see where we stayed on our October trip, but we decided we didn't want to go wet. By the time we walked to the bus stop I could tell my chaffing was going to be bad. We had a long wait for the bus and then it had to make 4 stops before getting to the Boardwalk. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of the bus transportation from the BWV.

Once at the BWV we ordered room service for lunch. The burgers were huge and yummy. I laid down with Skye and no sooner than she'd uttered the words "Nana, I can't sleep." she was out like a light. She did the same thing when I had her take a nap before MNSSHP in October.LOL After she was asleep I filled the jacuzzi with hot water to try to relieve the huge chaffed welps on my thighs. I tried 3 different pairs of shorts but I could tell that I was still going to be hurting. I dug through the Mary Poppins bag of remadies trying to find something that would help. I sprinkled the Gold Bond powder on and tried not to wake everyone while I screamed in silence and danced around the bathroom burning. I jumped in the shower and washed it off as fast as I could. What could I find to put on my legs to keep them from rubbing? I pulled out the package of Moleskin and tip toed naked into the bedroom for my reading glasses, sat on the toilet and read the package. There's no mention of NOT putting this anywhere other than your feet so I used one whole sheet on one thigh and another whole sheet on the other. I still had rubbing but at least the worst of it was covered. I dressed and got ready for Enight, Lynn got in the shower while I got woke Skye and got her ready too.

I had a PS for 1900 Park Fare, but we decided to head on to MK so that we could get in some of the faster loading rides before Enight started. We hadn't spend much time at MK at all this trip so we were anxious to get lots of stuff done. We arrived at MK around 6pm and the place was packed cheek to cheek. Everything we tried to ride had huge waits. I don't think it was this packed during our spring break trip in 2001. We decided to get some shopping done since we couldn't ride. We tried the Christmas shop first and although there were still people in there the doors were locked and a CM came & told us they were closed.:confused: We tried another and it was closed too! We couldn't believe it. The park is full of people and it was at least two hours before the park closed at 10pm and they were closing the shops! Lynn is in sales/marketing and she couldn't get over it. I truly think she was more amazed at this than any of the attractions/shows she saw the whole trip. She is still to this day talking about it. So here we are, we can't ride, can't shop so what to do. EAT!

Spectromagic was showing tonight and Lynn asked if there was anywhere to eat & watch the parade. I told her we'd try Pecos Bill's again. The line was long but we got food then found a table outside along the parade route. There was a fence but if we stood we could still see it. We ate and fought off the birds, but it was still an hour before the parade, but since there wasn't anything else we could do we sat it out. I was wishing we'd kept the 1900 Park Fare PS at this point. We took turns going to the bathroom & walking around a bit to kill time.

The moleskin on my legs was starting to roll & curl around the edges a bit at this point and the places that were not covered were hurting bad and getting worse every step I took. We talked about visiting the first aid station to see if they had anything that would help but the crowd was too thick and we'd loose our spot for the parade. I had been looking forward to our first ever Enight for months and now I was dreading the thought of walking around the park. I decided to take one last bathroom break before the parade started. Alone in the stall, little did I know that the parts of the moleskin that had curled around the edges had stuck to my shorts and as I pulled down my shorts, not only did the moleskin pull away from my thigh but it did so tearing away jennymouse skin as well. I wenched in pain and screamed my silent scream again. I kid you not, I could see my skin on the moleskin. I threw away the moleskin with the jennymouse skin on it leaving bare raw sores and walked like I'd been riding Pecos Bill's horse all day back to the table. Lynn commented on the paleness of my face and I told her what happened. :eek:

We watched the parade and it was awsome as always. Before long Enight started and we started in Fronteerland with Splash & BTMRR. Skye loves these rides so we rode them a couple times each. This suited me as it meant I didn't have to walk too far. This being our first ever Enight I didn't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was awfully crowded. We had waits of up to 30 minutes for anything we did except for TTA. We stopped by the first aid station and told them my situation. The nice nurse said that what I needed was some diaper rash cream of which they were all out of because it was summer and they get lots of people stopping in with my same problem. Sounds like a good time to stock up to me!:confused: I thanked her anyway and left with no relief. Finally at 12:15am I told Skye that I couldn't go on anymore and we left a little early, endured the 4 bus stops before we got back to BWV, where I covered my wounds with anitbiotic ointment, stuck a soft Tshirt between my legs, took a 600mil ibuprophen, two Tylonal PM's and went to bed.

:eek: thats stinks about your legs i had the same pronblem 1 day i wore a skirt ( not my idea) and my legs were killing me i didnt put the moleskin on but I thought about it
Im glad i didnt though!
But it sounds like your having fun!
cant wait to read more

All I can say is.....Poor Baby! I learned the hard way too not to wear jean shorts when you stand the chance of getting wet. In fact, I don't even own a pair anymore......

When you posted yesterday about where not to put the moleskin I was hoping not there! :eek: I've done it and I feel your pain.

Originally posted by bobcat
When you posted yesterday about where not to put the moleskin I was hoping not there! :eek: I've done it and I feel your pain.

I'm glad I'm not alone!LOL To tell you the truth I felt pretty stupid for doing that. They ought to put warning labels on that stuff!LOL

Sorry about you not feeling well. That is terrible when alot of walking is involved.

Your e-night sounds crowded to me. We went to E-night last August and our longest wait was 15 minutes and that was at the end of the night. Maybe we were just lucky.:D

:eek: Ouch!! I hope your legs felt better after getting some rest and ointment.

....I can't remember laughing as hard as I did when I read your post!!!!!!! I know,I'm sick....but I could just picture the whole scene!! Maybe it was the way you described it,it was very funny!!!!! I DO hope it didn't hurt you your whole trip!!!!

airhead

Am I the only one who has no idea what moleskin is or what it's for??? Also, how do your thighs get chafed?? I can understand feet-but thighs?? Guess I'm not getting it??!!!

Moleskin is for blisters on your feet. Thighs get chafed when they rub together in the heat all day at WDW.

Originally posted by Micca
Moleskin is for blisters on your feet. Thighs get chafed when they rub together in the heat all day at WDW.

And it's made from the skin of moles... Mwwaaaa haaaa haaaa haa hahahaha!

I did the moleskin thing in the summer of 99 ( I was pregnant and it had rained all day) and I still have the scars on my inner thighs to prove it!!! I Hope you only took one layer of skin off... I took 2-4 layers in chunks..... I have never cryed like that in my life.... I feel your pain.

Originally posted by merryweather's twin
I did the moleskin thing in the summer of 99 ( I was pregnant and it had rained all day) and I still have the scars on my inner thighs to prove it!!! I Hope you only took one layer of skin off... I took 2-4 layers in chunks..... I have never cryed like that in my life.... I feel your pain.

I think I'm going to have scars too!:( I don't know how many layers of skin it ripped off, but it's definately deeper in some spots than others.

This topic actually brings up a rather interesting question. I've never had any problems with rashes or thighs rubbing except when I visit WDW. I assume it must be the heat, humidity and the walking, walking, walking, walking...

Does anyone have any tips on what products out there either prevent this discomfort altogether or perhaps alleviate it a bit?

chaffing hurts so I feel some of your pain! Great report.

As for a tip on what to do to prevent...read on these boards about a product called "Bodyglide" sold at some sporting goods stores. Found it at REI and have it on hand for our next trip.

Sharon

I've been reading your trip reports in order- thanks for posting them! I know I have atleast a couple more to go. I'm enjoying reading them.

This one sounds like not such a great day though- not only busy during e-night but also the chaffing! I know the getting wet causes it more often- it has happened to me before if I go to a water park and I'm there from open to close- by closing tiny spots on inner thighs are chafed from rubbing on the wet material of the swimsuit there. :( I hate that! And it is so painful. I'd rather have blisters on my feet -all over my feet- than that! :(

Liquid bandaids might actually help this problem in the future- well not at the water parks but if you got chaffed from walking with wet clothes on as in this instance. Ya think?

Oh jennymouse!!!! I have loved reading all your trip reports, you seem so sweet and kind, but I have to admit, when I read this report, while sneeking a peek at the DIS at work, I couldn't help but crack up, out loud mind you, at your very painful description!!! You certainly have a way with words, while describing this! I'm sorry I found laughter from your pain! You poor, poor thing!!!

I hope your legs are better! I know I have felt that pain before and it just plain sucks! But, I've learned from your mistake! I will bring diaper rash cream with me... just in case! Ugh!

Great reports, by the way! I'm enjoying reading them!

And I'm so sorry about your mom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter