Your State/Province slogan

Apparently Maryland has 3--you do learn something every day!
If you're looking for a merry land, go to Maryland!, (formerly) America in Miniature; (formerly) More Than You Can Imagine

0506oped_beam3.jpg
This:

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_slogans

says MA is either "Make It Yours" or "The Spirit of America" (from our license plates)

but I like the Thanksgiving one too!

I actually spent some time looking up our old travel slogans this summer because someone gave us a bag of buttons from this 1980s tourism campaign:

and we didn't know what they were from.

A few years ago there was a campaign to come up with something different as our state slogan.

Some of them were pretty funny (and true!):

Our Favorite Reader Submissions for Massachusetts State Slogans
We asked for suggested state slogans, and you obliged.
Eric Randall4/23/2015, 10:43 a.m.

sign1.jpg

The state’s tourism chief wants to do away with Massachusetts’s dullsville state slogan, “It’s All Here,” so we asked you, dear reader, to help us brainstorm some new suggestions. And brainstorm you did.

Not all the submissions made on our Facebook page were great. (Some of you should really stay away from careers in marketing or comedy writing.) But many were. It’s easy to make jokes about taxes (more on that in a moment), but it’s hard to come up with a real tourism slogan that doesn’t sound super lame. Among the earnest suggestions we liked:

“Massachusetts: Where it began.”

Or

“An Uncommon Commonwealth.”

Or

“Wicked Revolutionary.” (We know jokes about regionalisms are a little tired, but this one worked for us anyway.)

Of course, most of you did not take this exercise seriously, but we appreciated your submissions anyway. Submissions like:

“Massachusetts: Florida’s Summer Home.”

Or

“Massachusetts: “Hard to spell, impossible to beat.”

Or

“Massachusetts: Say hi to your motha’ for us.”

Sometimes, state slogans can serve a practical purpose, so we enjoyed this submission:

Massachusetts: Oncoming traffic yields at rotaries.”

Slogans can also exhibit a bit of bravado. Some states take the chance to display an ego. Delaware’s, for instance, is “It’s Good Being First.” With that in mind, we liked:

Massachusetts: Kiss our Mass.”

As we said, not all suggestions were good. Many of you are still feeling that April 15 sting, and suggested something to the effect of “Open Your Wallet,” or “Bend Over.” Let’s exclude those from consideration. This is for tourismpeople. State slogans can be occasions for political statements. (Washington D.C.’s is “Taxation without representation.”) But many of you got, shall we say, a bit too political. Like this commenter’s suggested slogan:

“Welcome to the land of do nothing hacks who get us to do their jobs for them. They were too lazy to come up with a slogan yet take a paycheck every day anyway. How’s that?”

Well, to tell the truth, it needs work, bud. It’s a little verbose, and honestly, we’d probably just as well stick with “It’s all here.”

:lmao:

Good thread, NFLDERS

I was born and raised in Philly, the City of Brotherly Love. Which is a completely untrue motto. Now I live in a Philly suburb in Southern New Jersey, a small town. No motto, but home to America's first drive-in movie theater which opened in 1933 (according to Wikipedia).

Ohio's current tourism slogan is "So much to discover." It used to be "Ohio. The heart of it all."
State motto is: With God, all things are possible.
Ohio is also known as the Buckeye State.

ETA: The Buckeye tree is the state tree of Ohio. I knew that already, but I never knew exactly why we're called the Buckeye state. I looked it up. Apparently, during the 1840 presidential campaign between Martin van Buren and William Henry Harrison, someone said something derrogatory about Harrison being from Ohio. Harrison turned that around and embraced it. He made Buckeyes a symbol of his campaign... and Ohio became known as the Buckeye state after that. Ohio State, whose mascot is the Buckeyes, was founded in 1870... and I don't think their football team started until 1890.

Last edited:
I know were The Golden State in CA. IDK of any tourism slogans, maybe some other Californians do.

Yes, it actually recently was updated. The actual slogan is "Honestly, it's not for everyone."

I misread this as "Honesty, it's not for everyone." I thought people were about to get some points here because we're about to get political!

I guess I'm officially in the Sunshine State but I think "Flori-duh, you won't believe what happens here" might be more apropos. Or maybe "Send us your weirdos."

Our current oh-so-exciting slogan is "Kansas, as big as you think". I liked it better when it was "the land of Ahhhs"!

As big as you think just makes it sound like the obstacle that separates Denver & KC. Land of Ahhhs is definitely better.

Missouri - The Show Me State, now Where The Rivers Run.
Recently this FB group for KS that I'm following had a post about your "honest Kansas" tourism tag lines.

One of the common ones (in jest of course lol :) ) is Kansas: Still not Missouri (just for you @Gumbo4x4 as I know you live in MO)

Or Kansas: Mother Nature doesn't know how she feels about us either

Or Kansas: Not as flat as the world thinks

And many others.

I do know another new slogan though not the official one for the state is "Land in Kansas" used by our present Gov's administration. I guess it's supposed to encourage visitors, businesses, etc.. His point was "If we continue to work together, we will ensure that Kansas is no longer viewed as a flyover state. We want people to land in Kansas.” I still think people will see Kansas as a flyover state lol.

I don't love the "Kansas, as big as you think" slogan but I guess I do get where they were going with it.

Pennsylvania's marketing slogan is "Pennsylvania. Pursue Your Happiness". I had to look it up, even though I've lived here all my life. It changed in 2016. I remember the old, old one ("You've Got a Friend in Pennsylvania").

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...icials-Unveil-New-State-Slogan-371406511.html

I was about to say I have no idea what PAs current slogan is, nor do I çare. I lived in Ohio when it was The Heart of it All. Planning to move to Virginia in a few years, wonder if they’ve changed their slogan from Virginia is for lovers?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter