Your best Disney fact or insider story...

Yes! They don't want the gum getting spit onto the sidewalks and getting tracked through the park! (Yuck!)

My fact is that throughout the Tower of Terror there are references to the Twilight Zone Television serious. First is the poster in the lobby for the Anthony Fremont band who is playing at the tip top club tonight. In both libraries very high upon the very too shelf there is a devil headed fortune teller from the episode "The Nick of Time". In the right library the broken glasses from the episode "Time Enough at Last". In the left library the alien (decoded) To Serve Man book is on the shelf from the episode "To Serve Man". The last one I know of is the ventriloquist dummy among the boxes and hotel items in the basement (the unloading area right after the ending film) from "The Dummy."
Also, the attraction itself is 199 feet tall to prevent it from needing a blinking red light on top for planes.
When the building was still under construction it was actually struck by lightening!

That is so cool, never saw the references to the twilight zone episodes. I have been on that ride a lot too!

The first time, I walked my kids up to the loading doors, and then I took the chicken exit. My kids were embarrassed. The elevator guy couldn't even look at me he was so disappointed. I wasn't really as scared about the ride (maybe a little :) ), but I was worried it was going to be jarring and hurt my lower back. After the ride, My kids then made me experience it over and over again. It doesn't hurt. And it makes me laugh. It is a great ride. Awesome with large groups.

One of my favorite stories happened on this ride when I did everything I could to keep an older from bailing on the ride at the last minute. That will have to wait for another day.

Other things that I haven't seen yet in this thread.

• Mission: Space is the first theme park attraction in the world equipped with barf bags.
  • The 3D glasses for Star Tours, when purchased, were state-of-the-art and cost Disney $9 per pair.
  • Backstage at Epcot has a large machine that washes all 3-D glasses used everywhere on property. DL also has one. If a machine breaks down in one location, the glasses are airmailed to the other until the machine comes back up.
  • There's only one "real-life" application of the TTA PeopleMover technology - Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Are all the 3-d glasses really cleaned between each use? I always wondered. I really hope this is a true story!!!::yes::

As for mission space, I have had to wait in the loading bays several times for barf cleanup on that ride. I also was looking enough to get a freshly cleaned unit one time. There was some smells left behind...

Also on a very sad note, we were in Epcot at the Mission Space when a child died on the ride in June 2005. We were waiting in the courtyard area when things started happening.

Someone can correct me if I have it wrong, but Madame Leota (in the crystal ball in the Haunted Mansion) is modeled on Leota Thomas a friend of Walt's and Disney Imagineer...but the voice was done by the actress who voiced Malificent and Lady Tremaine. She was also memorialized with a tombstone in the HM graveyard.

Madame Leota was played by Leota Toombs (face) and Eleanor Audley (voice). Our KTTK guide said what a weird last name to be in the Haunted Mansion! Leota Toombs also plays the Ghost Hostess who appears at the end of the attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haunted_Mansion_characters

Are all the 3-d glasses really cleaned between each use? I always wondered. I really hope this is a true story!!!::yes::

I don't know if they clean them after each use, but I'm assuming any glasses that get dropped in the bins after the attractions end up being cleaned. They had a very large amount of glasses going through the conveyor belt. The machine looked like an automatic car wash of sorts. They use 150 degree water.

While KTTK is a great tour for MK history, UnDISCOVERED Future World lets you see a lot more of the operational side of things. We saw the glasses being cleaned, we saw the Test Track workshop when they had a car up on the hoist for maintenance, we saw the main costuming / seamstress area for Epcot, and we got to go to the backstage marina where they store the Earth Globe and fireworks barges for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

While KTTK is a great tour for MK history, UnDISCOVERED Future World lets you see a lot more of the operational side of things. We saw the glasses being cleaned, we saw the Test Track workshop when they had a car up on the hoist for maintenance, we saw the main costuming / seamstress area for Epcot, and we got to go to the backstage marina where they store the Earth Globe and fireworks barges for IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.

I'm gonna have to check that one out. Thanks!

I don't have anything to really add. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted the stories!

WDW has the largest privately-owned laundry facility in the world. They do so much laundry that they invented their own washing drums to accomodate the volume. (I visited the laundry as part of the Disney Leadership Institute)

Also, I haven't verified this but I've been told that Walt is created with creating the trash cans seen around the parks. The trash cans of the day did not have tops so you could see the trash, which Walt hated. He also knew that no one would want to touch the can to remove a lid. So, he invented the hinged door trash cans!

Madame Leota was played by Leota Toombs (face) and Eleanor Audley (voice). Our KTTK guide said what a weird last name to be in the Haunted Mansion! Leota Toombs also plays the Ghost Hostess who appears at the end of the attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Haunted_Mansion_characters

Here's a very little known fact...it USED to be Leota Toombs face in the Crystal Ball but they upgraded the animation technology a few years ago and it didn't look quite right anymore to use Leota so the face you see now is actually modeled by her daughter. They don't advertise that much because the story of Leota being a beloved Disneyland employee is so dear that it sounds better. And when you hear Leota's real voice at the end of the ride you hear why they couldn't use her voice. It's just so sweet.

I have also heard the Imagineers aren't so crazy about the dinner plate hidden mickey in the ballroom scene since it was placed by CMs not the imagineers and they consider the hidden mickey something of a signature on their work of art.

I thought of one not mentioned!

The Cinderella fountain behind the Castle, if you look from below up at the Cinderella statue towards the mural behind her, you can "crown" her (there is a crown in the mural). :thumbsup2

When my 2 DS were young, we were on the bus to the MK. We were wondering out loud how to get enough points on the rBuzz Light Year ide to become a space ranger (or whatever the top rank is). A CM told us there is a 100,000 point target in one of the hands (can't remeber if it was right or left) of the big Zorg. However, I was the only one to hit it enough to make top rank the first time through. After that, my boys could get some high scores.

Probably want impress your father but an inside tip none the less.

When my 2 DS were young, we were on the bus to the MK. We were wondering out loud how to get enough points on the rBuzz Light Year ide to become a space ranger (or whatever the top rank is). A CM told us there is a 100,000 point target in one of the hands (can't remeber if it was right or left) of the big Zorg. However, I was the only one to hit it enough to make top rank the first time through. After that, my boys could get some high scores.

Probably want impress your father but an inside tip none the less.

I won't tell him! He can be impressed by my score! :)

Here's a very little known fact...it USED to be Leota Toombs face in the Crystal Ball but they upgraded the animation technology a few years ago and it didn't look quite right anymore to use Leota so the face you see now is actually modeled by her daughter. They don't advertise that much because the story of Leota being a beloved Disneyland employee is so dear that it sounds better. And when you hear Leota's real voice at the end of the ride you hear why they couldn't use her voice. It's just so sweet.

I have also heard the Imagineers aren't so crazy about the dinner plate hidden mickey in the ballroom scene since it was placed by CMs not the imagineers and they consider the hidden mickey something of a signature on their work of art.

More haunted mansion material. That ride should be named a national treasure! It's depth of detail is incomparable.

Another sad Epcot story, but my kids were a little distraught during the behind the seeds tour when the guide said the baby alligators were being raised to become handbags and shoes. I don't think the guide was kidding. :eek:

I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I just can't imagine Disney saying no to someone willing to pay thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands (there are billionaires out there who might!) for one night in this teeny tiny suite.

This is so cool!

If that were so how come we hear about Suri Cruse staying there at least twice a yr??

Does anyone even win it anymore? I never hear about that anymore.

THANKS for all the great stories. I'm patiently waiting for both DSs to be 16 to do the KTTK tour. 3 more years & yes I've been tempted to do it w/o them.

Thought of another one.

In Future World East, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize an angular, artificial appearance. All pavilions are based on man-made concepts.

In Future World West, the pavilions, sidewalks, and trees all emphasize a free-flowing, natural appearance. All pavilions are based on the natural world. (Though I can't quite fit the Imagination Pavilion into this design personally.)

Just heard this one on WDW Today. Oh, and you could consider Imagination human nature, as imagination is much more intuitive than space travel, energy creation, and cars.

And here's another one to add, though this one might have been said. Because most humans have a natural instinct to look or lean towards the right, Disney built all of the locations that would better appeal to entering the park on MSUSA on the right as you enter the park. In the morning, grab a bagel and a cup of (soon to be Starbucks) coffee at MSB. During any time, get the energy to tour the park by grabbing some candy to munch on at the Confectionary or have lunch at Tony's.

Conversely, as you exit the park (so on the right as you are leaving), you'll find locations catering to folks who want to "remember" your day. Obviously, the Emporium provides souvenirs but the photo center lets you take home photos, too.

I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I just can't imagine Disney saying no to someone willing to pay thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands (there are billionaires out there who might!) for one night in this teeny tiny suite.

This is so cool!

Mariah Carey was turned down. I don't know how much she offered to pay, but she was told no. She was there visiting at the same time a friend of mine won a night there during the Million Dreams promotion. The CM's that gave them their Castle key told them Mariah asked to stay there that night and how lucky they were that they were chosen when Mariah was turned down. The CM said not even celebrities could buy their way into the castle. It was reserved for the magic of being won.

Since they are no longer doing the Year of a Million Dreams promotion and no longer giving out Castle stays, it would be reasonable to assume Disney would rent it out to a celebrity or millionaire for the right amount of money. It makes sense to make money off of it rather than it sitting empty. But I'm sure Disney won't confirm that because it would take away from the magic of the public thinking it can only be won.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter