You just graduated from college!! What's next? 5/13 - 5/21 THAT'S A WRAP!

Following our breakfast at the Grand Floridian we took the monorail to Magic Kingdom where we were spending the day. For lunch the kids chose the Plaza Restaurant.

Someone (I think it was Emily, but it could have been Andrew) ordered a Root Beer Float...

My notes say that whoever ordered this rated it a 4 so it must have been pretty good. :thumbsup2

Our entrees were not quite as successful though. :worried: Let's begin with the best, which was ordered and shared by my two daughters...

Plaza Club with Smoked Ham, Turkey, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato, and Mayonnaise layered on Sourdough Bread served with French Fries

They liked the fries a lot, but the sandwich they both said was just okay and gave it a 3. I had this the last time I dined at The Plaza in October 2014 and thought it was pretty good. I probably would have rated it a 4.

And since I had enjoyed it last time, I was planning to again order the Club. But then when the girls chose this, I quickly switched to ordering the...

Cheese Steak Sandwich with Shaved Beef grilled with Onions, Mushrooms, Red Peppers, and White American Cheese on a Hoagie Roll, served with French Fries

Let's start with the good, which were the fries. These were delicious, as usual. But as for the sandwich...

...it did not taste nearly as good as it looked. :sad2: The meat was pretty flavorless, despite the fact that it supposedly had been grilled with onion and red peppers. Perhaps it would have benefited from some seasoning?? :confused3 But actually the worst part of the sandwich was the white American cheese. It tasted like the American cheese you buy at the grocery store that comes in individually wrapped slices...only with the plastic still on! :laughing: Consequently this sandwich rated only a 2.

So what did Andrew order that rated worse than a 2?...

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger with Bacon and Cheddar Cheese on a Flour-dusted Kaiser Roll, served with Homemade Chips

Again starting with the good, he really liked the homemade chips. :thumbsup2 He did not like the burger though, said it tasted like the "mystery meat" burgers that were served at his high school cafeteria. :eek: So even though he also rated this a 2, I think school cafeteria "mystery meat" burger trumps plastic cheese topped flavorless beef so Andrew gets the "dishonor" of having ordered the worst entree of this meal. ;)

But on the bright side, since Andrew and I just picked at our sandwiches and the girls shared theirs, we all had room to share this dessert...

Original Banana Split - a ripe Banana, three scoops of Ice Cream (Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry) topped with Hot Fudge, Strawberry Sauce, Crushed Pineapple, Chopped Nuts, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry

I have long wanted to try the Plaza's banana split, but the last two times there I've dined solo so there was no way I could eat this by myself. Therefore I was pretty excited when the kids agreed to share this for dessert. And I'm happy to report that it was as good as it looks in the photo. The Banana Split received an average rating of 4 from us. It might have gotten a 5 had I remembered to have them not put the nuts on top, since two of the kids do not like them. But subconsciously I might have forgotten "on purpose" since I love chopped nuts! ;)

So although our lunch at The Plaza was for the most part a "fail", it thankfully ended with a "success". :thumbsup2

Next up: Drinks at Trader Sam's

Last edited:
I've always heard mixed reviews about the Plaza. I haven't eaten there myself but it really does seem like it depends on what you order.

That banana split looks amazing and I can see why it was the highlight of the meal.

Can't wait to see what you think of trader sams.

The Plaza is such a hidden gem. Too bad your food wasn't better but that banana split looks so good!

Jill in CO

I've never had room for dessert at The Plaza but the how could anything with ice cream NOT be good! ;)

Can't wait to see what you thought of Trader Sam's! If you go into CRT knowing it is more about the ambiance it makes the food less disappointing...but even so, there is no way that the breakfast is worth 2 dining credits :sad2:
At least the fries and ice cream were good at the Plaza, that is disappointing about the rest!

I've always heard mixed reviews about the Plaza. I haven't eaten there myself but it really does seem like it depends on what you order.

That banana split looks amazing and I can see why it was the highlight of the meal.

Can't wait to see what you think of trader sams.

Trader Sam's review coming right up! :thumbsup2

The Plaza is such a hidden gem. Too bad your food wasn't better but that banana split looks so good!

Jill in CO

The delicious banana split definitely helped with the plastic cheese taste in my mouth! :laughing:

I've never had room for dessert at The Plaza but the how could anything with ice cream NOT be good! ;)

Very true, Fran! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to see what you thought of Trader Sam's! If you go into CRT knowing it is more about the ambiance it makes the food less disappointing...but even so, there is no way that the breakfast is worth 2 dining credits :sad2:
At least the fries and ice cream were good at the Plaza, that is disappointing about the rest!

Stay tuned for my thoughts on Trader Sam's. ;)

Not long after our lunch at the Plaza, Emily and Andrew went back to the room but Allison and I stuck around Magic Kingdom to see the Festival of Fantasy parade.

Immediately following the parade we left the park and hopped on the Resort monorail to the Polynesian. My goal was to make it there by 4:00, the opening time of...

We reached Trader Sam's at about 4:05 and they were already at maximum capacity. So we were given a pager and went outside to the Tiki Terrace to wait.

We checked out the Tiki bar menu...

EFC2D4C0-8275-4129-ACED-7B8BB69B527B.jpg

We were both hot and thirsty so decided to order a non-alcoholic beverage (aka a Sam's No Booze Brew). Allison chose the Skipper Sipper and I went with the Schweitzer Falls...

Skipper Sipper – Tropical Juices, Organic Agava Nectar, Falernum, Mint, and fresh Lime Juice topped with Soda Water – $4.79
Schweitzer Falls – Tropical Juices and Sam’s Gorilla Grog Topped with Sprite – $4.79

It looks like we photographed our drinks before we stirred them up. Once given a good stir with our straws, these were both very good and did the job of quenching our thirst. Both were given a rating of 5.

We sat on the terrace for at least 45 minutes sipping our drinks and enjoying the surroundings...

They even had live entertainment out on the terrace...

Finally at around 5:00 our pager went off and we were allowed to enter the Grotto bar inside.

Our dinner reservation at Kona Cafe was at 5:30 so we quickly placed our drink order once we found a table next to a "window" with a view of the volcano. ;)

For our cocktails, Allison chose a Shrunken Zombie Head and I went with a Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum (yes, that's 5 Tikis :laughing:)...

My drink was $11.50 and Allison's was $19.50 since it was served in a souvenir shrunken head cup...

So our drinks were not cheap, but Allison really liked hers (rated it a 5) and loves the cup that she got to take home. My drink was a little too strong though for my taste, and since we had so little time before our ADR I had to drink it quickly instead of sipping it slowly. Consequently, the Tiki Rum drink with a little too much "tiki" only received a rating of 3 for me. ;)

But overall our first experience at Trader Sam's Grotto and Tiki Terrace was a good one. I just wish we had had more time to savor those expensive drinks and experience more of the fun atmosphere and special effects.

Next up: Dinner at Kona Cafe

Looks great! I have heard a lot of good things about traders sams and it looks like a fun plus to go to. I can't get the full enjoyment yet being under 21 but I may have to stop by just to look inside next trip.

If Trader Sam's at WDW is anything like Trader Sam's here in California, all of the drinks are super strong. I can put away a lot of alcohol, but 2 drinks at Trader Sam's and I am good to go. :drinking1

Yikes on your plaza experience. We usually love it, but stick with ordering most of the same items. Your sandwich in particular looks like a big disappointment, but glad the banana split made it all better.

Thanks for the same review. We got to try it to, but ended up outside the whole time. The drinks are definitely expensive but I though the ones with the souvenir glasses were pretty reasonable all things considered.

It looks like you had a great time at Trader Sam's! Thanks for the reviews of the non-alcoholic drinks. I am currently pregnant and have been debating if it is worth a stop when we are there a month from now. I will definitely keep it on the possibility list.

Going back a few reviews.... if I had to choose between GF Cafe breakfast and Kona Cafe, oh my, that would be very tough. Sorry the French toast wasn't as spectacular as in the past. Like you, I never need a menu there.

Oh no!! I'm a bit nervous as to the Plaza Restaurant burger since I usually love them. For $16 for a burger you'd think they'd use "real" meat! ha ha! Finishing strong with the banana split had to redeem the experience.

Trader Sams here in CA is amost as hard to get a seat as at the Poly, just no pagers. Your tikix5 drink looks good... I'd quite possibly have to grab a chair for support if I downed that strong drink quickly before heading to dinner.

I too was NOT overwhelmed by the Plaza , not that bad that I wouldn't go again, but not a must do !!! Maybe could go for the banana split yummy!!!

Looks great! I have heard a lot of good things about traders sams and it looks like a fun plus to go to. I can't get the full enjoyment yet being under 21 but I may have to stop by just to look inside next trip.

I think I read somewhere that those under 21 are allowed in the Grotto bar before 8:00 p.m. so I think you should be okay. And I actually enjoyed my non-alcoholic beverage better than my Tiki x 5 Rum drink, so hopefully you can find a Sam's No Booze Brew that suits your taste. :thumbsup2

If Trader Sam's at WDW is anything like Trader Sam's here in California, all of the drinks are super strong. I can put away a lot of alcohol, but 2 drinks at Trader Sam's and I am good to go. :drinking1

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me being a wimp, that my drink was likely stronger than the typical bar drink. :laughing:

Yikes on your plaza experience. We usually love it, but stick with ordering most of the same items. Your sandwich in particular looks like a big disappointment, but glad the banana split made it all better.

Thanks for the same review. We got to try it to, but ended up outside the whole time. The drinks are definitely expensive but I though the ones with the souvenir glasses were pretty reasonable all things considered.

I actually enjoyed our experience outside on the terrace as much as the grotto bar, if not more. ;)

It looks like you had a great time at Trader Sam's! Thanks for the reviews of the non-alcoholic drinks. I am currently pregnant and have been debating if it is worth a stop when we are there a month from now. I will definitely keep it on the possibility list.

First of all, congratulations! :goodvibes As for Sam's No Booze Brews, I actually enjoyed my non-alcoholic beverage more than the Tiki Rum drink so I say...GO FOR IT! :thumbsup2

Your tropical drinks look delicious. It looks nice outside by the pool.

It was quite nice. I loved the view, listening to the music, and sipping on a refreshing tropical drink. Very relaxing!

Going back a few reviews.... if I had to choose between GF Cafe breakfast and Kona Cafe, oh my, that would be very tough. Sorry the French toast wasn't as spectacular as in the past. Like you, I never need a menu there.

Oh no!! I'm a bit nervous as to the Plaza Restaurant burger since I usually love them. For $16 for a burger you'd think they'd use "real" meat! ha ha! Finishing strong with the banana split had to redeem the experience.

Trader Sams here in CA is amost as hard to get a seat as at the Poly, just no pagers. Your tikix5 drink looks good... I'd quite possibly have to grab a chair for support if I downed that strong drink quickly before heading to dinner.

On my upcoming solo trip I will definitely be having breakfast at both GF Cafe and Kona. ::yes:: And I thought maybe the popularity of Sam's Grotto was due to the fact that it was new but it sounds like that might not be the case if the CA one is that popular.

I too was NOT overwhelmed by the Plaza , not that bad that I wouldn't go again, but not a must do !!! Maybe could go for the banana split yummy!!!

That's exactly how I feel about the Plaza. I will return sometime but I've been there on my last three trips so I think I'll be skipping it on my upcoming trip. I just wish my favorite MK restaurant for lunch, Liberty Tree Tavern, were going to be open. :sad:

Andrew and Emily were waiting for us upstairs at the Polynesian's...

Once we were seated, Emily ordered a Lapu Lapu since she had missed out on the cocktails at Trader Sam's...

This was our first experience with the Lapu Lapu. I was still feeling the effects of the Tiki rum so I didn't try it, but Emily really enjoyed her drink. She rated the Lapu Lapu a 5. :thumbsup2

Then we all looked over the menu and discussed what we would each be ordering, trying not to have any repeats...

And the sushi menu...

While waiting for our food, the Hawaiian bread and macadamia nut butter were delivered to our table...

We hadn't been to Kona Cafe for dinner since 2010 so I had forgotten just how good this bread is. Within 10 minutes this is what our bread plate looked like...

So it was a good thing that we had decided to order an appetizer...

Sticky Wings - Glazed Chicken Wings with tangy Mustard Drizzle and Toasted Sesame Seeds

These were quite tasty and we unanimously rated them a 4.

For our entrees, I was expecting Allison to order sushi but she surprised me and instead went with...

Sustainable Fish (this was swordfish) served with Swiss Chard, Forbidden Rice and Hibiscus-Beurre Rouge - Market Price (which was $23.99)

She said the fish was very good but the side dishes were just okay so she gave this an overall rating of 4. Oh, and she got the suggested wine pairing, which was MacMurray Pinot Noir, and said it was good.

I also rated my entree a 4...

Pan-Asian Noodles - Yakisoba Noodles, Wok-seared with Vegetables and your choice of Chicken or Tofu (for an extra $1.00 I chose shrimp instead) in a Ginger-Garlic Sauce

My first choice was actually the pork chop but then Andrew ordered it, so I quickly switched to this. It was pretty good but Andrew's pork chops was definitely better...

Kona Coffee-Rubbed Pork Chop - Grilled and served with Mashed Potatoes, Fire Roasted Corn, and Eggplant

He really liked the pork chop and mashed potatoes, didn't touch the corn or eggplant. Andrew gave this a rating of 5.

And that leaves Emily, who gets the award for the most impressive looking entree of this meal...

Grilled Curry-crusted Lamb Chops with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Swiss Chard, and Mango Compote

With the exception of the Swiss chard, she loved everything on her plate. Consequently, she rated her entree a 5.

And that just leaves dessert.

We decided to order two since we couldn't all agree on one to share. The girls chose this to share...

Warm Apple Tart with Cinnamon Gelato and Bacon-Macadamia Nut Brittle

And Andrew and I, the creme brulee fans of the family, ordered this to share...

Banana-Chocolate Creme Brulee with a Chocolate Spiral

Both of these desserts were rated a 4. I failed to write down in my notes as to why the girls rated their apple tart a 4 rather than a 5. But as for the creme brulee, both Andrew and I thought it was good but not as good as the creme brulee we had had the night before at California Grill.

So in conclusion, our dinner at Kona Cafe surpassed our expectations. The kids chose to dine here mostly due to its location, as the Polynesian was once our family's favorite Disney resort. We were pleasantly surprised that all of our food turned out to be above average, and a couple of our entrees were even rated as Very Good/Excellent. Personally I still prefer breakfast at Kona (due to the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes ;)), but I would definitely consider having dinner here again sometime on a future trip.

Next up: Breakfast for 2 at Starring Rolls

Last edited:
Kona Cafe is a place I've always wanted to try but just haven't yet. Hopefully I will be able to soon. It looks delicious.

We haven't bee back to Kona for dinner is several years and I am really not sure why. Your meal looks really good, especially that pork chop. Not sure DS and I will make it there in March but it is on my radar if DH and I make it to F&W next year. :thumbsup2

Kona Cafe is a place I've always wanted to try but just haven't yet. Hopefully I will be able to soon. It looks delicious.

We were pleasantly surprised by how good Kona Cafe was for dinner! :thumbsup2

We haven't bee back to Kona for dinner is several years and I am really not sure why. Your meal looks really good, especially that pork chop. Not sure DS and I will make it there in March but it is on my radar if DH and I make it to F&W next year. :thumbsup2

Oh, I really hope you and Jay do make it to F & W next year and that our trips overlap. As of now, I'm planning to go again whenever they have the Swan & Dolphin Food & Wine Classic. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter