YIPPEEE We are Finally Heading Home -- DVC Owners & Reservations At Last! 4/16 update

Congrats on your DVC purchase. If you have a car you will be happy no matter where you stay. I think OKW is a great choice. It's a wonderful resort and the points are low. So win-win!

As far as the overnight traveling - I still don't think I could do it. We'll see how the daytime drive goes in June before I try to tackle that.

Looking forward to hearing more.

The sneak trip sounds AWESOME! Although, I have to admit, I would have a hard time being there and not walking into MK or Epcot. But I still think it sounds perfect for a weekend getaway.:thumbsup2

I think if we were there longer, or if we were AP holders, it would be a different story. but as it is we are looking forward to doing some of the non-park things that are always on our "to do" list and never get done!

Congrats on your DVC purchase. If you have a car you will be happy no matter where you stay. I think OKW is a great choice. It's a wonderful resort and the points are low. So win-win!

As far as the overnight traveling - I still don't think I could do it. We'll see how the daytime drive goes in June before I try to tackle that.

Looking forward to hearing more.

We are so anxious for the darned thing to actually finalize. ugh the frustration of the resale. I guess most resales are not this troublesome but its just our luck. I think my last name was supposed to be Murphy.

Joe is a real night owl, and prefers the night shift, so it worked out pretty well last time. I start out the driving, in the daylight, and then when I am tired (last time it was when we hit Virginia) then he takes over. What we did learn on our last trip driving was that on the way TO Disney, its easy -- excitement and adrenaline keeps you going. On the way home, well, not so much!!! so we have it planned to drive most of the day Saturday and if we need to stop & sleep at night, we can just hit a motel on the highway & then get an early start sunday morning.

You at least get to skip the whole Phila / DC disaster for your drive. Nice!

I so hope you get OKW! I really think you will love it...it is so pretty and peaceful.

Two trips? I guess I missed the Halloween trip. Now after you experience that, you'll have to do a Christmas trip. I'm torn...but I think Christmas wins out just a tad more for me over our Halloween trips.

I so hope you get OKW! I really think you will love it...it is so pretty and peaceful.

Two trips? I guess I missed the Halloween trip. Now after you experience that, you'll have to do a Christmas trip. I'm torn...but I think Christmas wins out just a tad more for me over our Halloween trips.

You didn't miss the Halloween trip. I can't even plan it yet till I get the freaking points. I know you can sympathize with how much it is KILLING me that I cannot make reservations for the fall either. I suppose my consolation is that by the time we finally close, it will be within 7 months so I can shoot for any DVC resort, not just OKW. though I'd much rather have my OKW reservation solidified.

and yes, after Halloween we will do Christmas. It was a close call for this coming fall which holiday we'd do, but I think the lure of MNSSHP and F&W at the same time won out. I think that we will have to bite the bullet and to a July trip in between because Katie is getting a little sad that we have not done Disney for her birthday (July 8).

I see you just posted your Christmas party day -- have to sneak over and read that. and I'm anxious to ready about Mary Ellen & Cynthia's MNSSHP too.

I have been talking to my husband today about the two of going down for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary. He thinks I am crazy and I think he is cheap! :rotfl: I can't wait to read how it all turns out.

I have been talking to my husband today about the two of going down for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary. He thinks I am crazy and I think he is cheap! :rotfl: I can't wait to read how it all turns out.

I have to tell you every year about this time, Joe starts jonesing for warm weather & Disney World. I always tell him no, it's too expensive. Well, he had some "mad money" set aside to be used for just this - a splurge weekend or something fun, no bills allowed:lmao:. While I did put a stop to any parks - including "the dark side" of Harry Potter land, how can I resist a weekend of warm weather, kicking back, and touring Downtown Disney and some resorts? :confused3 no can do!!!

Till we pay for meals once we get there, our weekend splurge will have cost $1,000 including airfare, car rental, hotel, etc. I'll let you know later if we destroyed that (though really we can't because we have two family trips in the works for this year!!)

We are getting SOOO anxious for 2/22 to come along!

Oh my Mary Ellen,

I know I'm a bit behind on my subscriptions but did I just count up 3 Dis Trips?

A President's Weekend for two, a family & friends May trip and a Halloween trip...:faint:?

Lucky girl...

You should be getting ready for your weekend... how's that going?

popcorn::

Oh my Mary Ellen,

I know I'm a bit behind on my subscriptions but did I just count up 3 Dis Trips?

A President's Weekend for two, a family & friends May trip and a Halloween trip...:faint:?

Lucky girl...

You should be getting ready for your weekend... how's that going?

popcorn::

OMG I really AM an addict, aren't I!:lmao::lmao: LOL but the birthday weekend will not be to any parks. Actually, I've been planning our weekend :yay:(big shock I know:rolleyes:) and was just about to post the plans when I saw your comment

Here goes:

`````````````````````````````````````

****** What to do for my crazy birthday weekend! *******

We are flying into Sanford airport and our flight lands a little after noon. I rented a car & we’ll head to Orlando. Joe has to work the night before (he works a lot of midnight – 8am shifts) so I know he is hoping to at least catch a little sleep on the flight down and possibly in the car on the way to the hotel. :drive:

We are not staying at a Disney resort, but we are staying inside the Disney World area, at the Port Royal hotel. I saw a good discount code on my Mousesavers newsletter, and it has decent reviews. Again, I’ll keep you posted on our first non-Disney resort stay!

The hotel’s posted check in time is 4 p.m. I’m wondering if they are as generous as DisneyWorld in allowing for early check-ins. It would be lovely for Joe if he could have a nap in a real bed instead of only sitting up on the plane & in the car. Otherwise he will be :crazy2: and needing lots of :coffee:.

Hoping that he can sleep, I plan to head to the nearest grocery store for protein shakes & water (unless I do that on the drive in, which I may if I see a store that is easily accessible from the highway). While he is sleeping, I will wander the hotel & maybe catch a little sun by the pool :beach:(if its over 80 that is!).

Friday evening, we have dinner reservations at Kona, timed so that when we are finished, we can pick up something yummy to drink (can we say LapuLapu!
lapu.jpg
(photo borrowed from disboards) and watch the fireworks from the Polynesian beach.
IMG_5500.jpg
(borrowed from MEK’s TR) This is something that I have wanted to do since I read about it here on the boards. It just sound so peaceful, sitting on the beach watching the fireworks. Definitely how I want to spend my birthday!

While it makes us sound like old farts;) after this we will go back to the hotel. If Joe even manages to stay awake through the fireworks, he will be quite tired from only napping during the day. And we have a lot planned for Saturday!

Saturday:

While we won’t be up before dawn, there is just no sleeping in at Disney, even if we’re not at the parks! I’ll probably get up earlier than Joe & get some power walking in on the treadmill before the day really begins.

For breakfast we are heading out for what is (supposedly) one of Orlando’s best pancake spots. Keke’s Breakfast Café. It’s about 15-20 minutes drive from the Downtown Disney area.
http://www.kekesbreakfastcafe.com/breakfastmenu.html

Joe loves a good pancake meal – he has been craving the pancake dish he had in St. Augustine last June --
11_joes_peanutbutterbananapecanpancakes.JPG

So I did a bit of googling and found Keke’s. Have you been there? Heard of it? Let me know if you have. They claim to be from PA and decided that Floridians needed real old fashioned pancakes, and that's how they came up with their restaurant & menu. The menu looks great so I’ll keep you all posted!

After breakfast, we are planning to visit Old Key West. We are buying the points (if it ever finally closes!!!) but have never really visited the resort. I say really because after seeing so many gorgeous photos on TR’s here (KatMark, MEK, EandEsmom, etc) I fell in love with the place. So we thought we’d either do a self tour, or possibly ask for the DVC tour of the resort. Part of me feels that its wasting the time of the DVC Cast member, but then again, maybe it gives them something to do also. I mean how many people want to spend a Saturday morning touring a resort? We already know we are not buying directly from DVC, but thought that taking their grand tour may show us the whole resort, and on our own we may miss some things.

We also want to visit the Animal Kingdom Resort. Its another spot that’s been on our list to visit for the last two trips. I’d really like to visit and see the animal preserve there, and walk around the resort itself.

I have to say I really am looking forward to a day of not being in parks – to spending some time at resorts and maybe downtown Disney.

Depending on the weather, we will probably spend at least a little time enjoying the pool. Joe has told Katie that we are going to the beach. I thought about dragging him to one, but it seems like a huge chunk of our day would be driving, so forget it! I'll settle for Poly's beach on Friday night!

We have not made dinner plans for Saturday night – I think we are going to play it by ear. There are certainly enough places to eat in the area. A few of the options we are looking at are Paradisio 37 in Downtown Disney, dinner & dancing at Rix at the Coronado (Thanks Kathy!) or spending the evening at the Boardwalk, enjoying the street performances, visiting Atlantic Dance Hall or the dueling pianos, and possibly catching some of Illuminations from the bridge between the Boardwalk & the Yacht Club. I recently installed the new My Disney Experience App, which offers dining times on it so I'll just check it out while we are there & see what we are in the mood for.

---side note: has anyone else downloaded this app? I have been disappointed in it so far because while it lets me see what's going on in the parks right now, it does not let me see my existing reservations. I hope they improve it soon.

While I am not a huge night owl, I am looking forward to spending the evening out. And pacing ourselves during the day, leaving a little pool and/or nap time, should let us (mostly me, Joe IS a night owl) stay up past my usual 10 pm bed time.

Sunday :sad2: there will be no sleeping in as we have an early flight out of Sanford. We have an 8:40 am flight so we will have to up & out the door pretty early. Sanford is about an hour's drive, plus we will have to return the rental. We are not checking any baggage so hopefully it will be fast & easy.

BTW if anyone has any advice/tidbits about Sanford, please share! Having never been there, I'd rather avoid any ugly surprises.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

So are you doing a little birthday trip in addition to your OKW trip? Where are you flying out of to go to Sanford. I'm confused. I feel like a missed a piece of important info along the way.

My first DVC resale seemed to take a long time because it did not pass ROFR. My second one seemed to go smoother, but it is hard to be patient until those points are in the bank.

We will miss the Phila traffic when we drive, but we don't miss DC. Well, we will actually go do 301, across the Bay Bridge, and continue 301 all the way to Richmond. Technically longer, but it will keep us as far away from DC as possible and there are a lot of Wawas on the route - so coffee and clean bathrooms are a bonus!

So are you doing a little birthday trip in addition to your OKW trip? Where are you flying out of to go to Sanford. I'm confused. I feel like a missed a piece of important info along the way.

Joe wanted to "get away" for my birthday, which is next week. So we booked a cheap flight on Allegient from ABE to Sanford & are staying in the Downtown Disney area. We are not going to any parks, but will still be getting our Disney fix. and maybe a little time for coffee on the verandah.;)

My first DVC resale seemed to take a long time because it did not pass ROFR. My second one seemed to go smoother, but it is hard to be patient until those points are in the bank.

oooh the patience thing is killing me. Lord help me if this runs past the date that our broker gave us as a "realistic expectation".

We will miss the Phila traffic when we drive, but we don't miss DC. Well, we will actually go do 301, across the Bay Bridge, and continue 301 all the way to Richmond. Technically longer, but it will keep us as far away from DC as possible and there are a lot of Wawas on the route - so coffee and clean bathrooms are a bonus!

I am sooo bad at geography, so was thinking that you were below DC but guess not. I love knowing that Wawa is moving south -- and that there are now a few Wawas in Florida! I love their coffee best.mmmm.

I just ordered our AAA TripTix for our drive down. Last June we took that huge detour through NC to pick up Lesley so I wanted a clean set. We were going to go down through Phila but frankly for an extra 37 miles I do not mind driving out past Harrisburg and skipping Philly and DC traffic completely. Last year we ended up in the DC area at 11 p.m. and still sat in bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 minutes. ugh!

I just ordered our AAA TripTix for our drive down. Last June we took that huge detour through NC to pick up Lesley so I wanted a clean set. We were going to go down through Phila but frankly for an extra 37 miles I do not mind driving out past Harrisburg and skipping Philly and DC traffic completely. Last year we ended up in the DC area at 11 p.m. and still sat in bumper to bumper traffic for about 45 minutes. ugh!

Tell me about it. I drove my son to a soccer tournament in Richmond a few years ago and I was stuck in traffic hell on that beltway for hours. Never again. You totally should do the extra 37 miles or do my trick of 301 (which might be longer for you, not sure). But basically you exit 95 at the University of Delaware exit (right before you enter Maryland). Head south straight to 301 and keep going south till you pick up 95 again in Richmond. You get off there and just go straight on the same road. It's pretty easy. There are some traffic lights around the outskirts of DC, but otherwise its a pleasant ride and actually gets very countryfied from time to time. Finding that route is the only reason I would even consider driving because the drive from Richmond is a no brainer.

Oh - and congrats on the b-day weekend trip. Very nice! Enjoy!

The birthday trip plans sound like so much fun...well except for the early flight back on Sunday! Lol. On our last trip in Sept. DH and I did the whole romantic Wishes on the beach. It was very romantic, except for the group of drunk people who kept saying, "Oh here's the big one....wait nope not it.":rotfl: and there kids who were having a game of tag on the beach and somehow we seemed to be in the middle of it :rolleyes1 :rotfl2: So maybe it wasn't the romantic moment we thought, but all I could think of was the awesome memories those families were making by being in Disney together.:goodvibes

Having DONE that drive my self quite a few times, I do not blame you for NOT wanting to be sitting bumper to bumper!

I wanted to say THANK YOU for watching Lisa's revel to help her BD wish come true, for commenting on it and for just being you!!!

Joining in!!! I have been subscribed, but just now caught up. How was the non-Disney FL trip? Those pancakes look amazing!

The birthday trip plans sound like so much fun...well except for the early flight back on Sunday! Lol. On our last trip in Sept. DH and I did the whole romantic Wishes on the beach. It was very romantic, except for the group of drunk people who kept saying, "Oh here's the big one....wait nope not it.":rotfl: and there kids who were having a game of tag on the beach and somehow we seemed to be in the middle of it :rolleyes1 :rotfl2: So maybe it wasn't the romantic moment we thought, but all I could think of was the awesome memories those families were making by being in Disney together.:goodvibes

Oh that does not sound romantic at all. :crazy2: but its nice that you put it all into perspective!

Having DONE that drive my self quite a few times, I do not blame you for NOT wanting to be sitting bumper to bumper!

I wanted to say THANK YOU for watching Lisa's revel to help her BD wish come true, for commenting on it and for just being you!!!

Hi Judy!! Nope, not a fan of bumper to bumper traffic at all. How close is Lisa to her goal? I posted a link on my FB wall as well, hopefully more shares will bring her more views and likes. I just love watching that video!

Joining in!!! I have been subscribed, but just now caught up. How was the non-Disney FL trip? Those pancakes look amazing!

Hi Brook!!:wave2: The non-Disney trip was awesome. I just finished uploading and resizing my photos and hopefully tomorrow will be able to write about it & post a few photos. I'm about of of zoom for the night!

Friday February 22, Katie and I got up and followed our usual routines – me to the treadmill & walking the dog, she getting ready for school—except instead of me getting ready for work, I was getting ready to FLY TO FLORIDA. YAHOOOO!:cool1:

Joe, my sweet hubby, was actually working a midnight shift, and got home at 8 a.m. – just in time to change out of uniform & into comfy traveling clothes. He put Katie on the bus as I did last minute things so as not to leave a mess for my wonderful sister in law, who was staying at our house for the weekend to take care of Katie & Thor.

By 8:45 we were in the car and on our way!!! We flew out of our local airport, which is an easy 15 -20 minute drive from home. I had pre-printed our boarding passes so once the car was parked, it was through the security check & up to the gates. Easy peasy!!! The most difficult thing was waiting in line to buy some water once we got to the gate. I like that kind of morning.

We flew Allegiant airlines – a first for us.

Pros: easy, they are at our local airport & fly relatively cheap to Sanford airport, just a bit north east of Orlando. They use the smaller sized planes – you know the type, three seat on one side, 2 on the other.

Cons: they charge you for absolutely everything. When I made my reservations, the form told me to select my seats – so I did, and was happy to reserve seats in the exit row for my 6’4 ½” hubby to stretch out his legs. But later I realized that I was charged for the privilege. Ok, that was worth it, and I have “upgraded” almost every flight we’ve ever taken in order to pick a row with leg room for Joe. But we also were charged to bring a carry-on suitcase. The only thing you get to bring “for free” onto allegiant is your one personal item, which must fit under the seat in front of you—and they are sticklers, too. And they charge you for any snack or drink you want on the plane, so bring your own. (I had anticipated this & grabbed a 100 calorie bag of nuts for Joe to snack on.)

We took off a few minutes early, and with only a bit of minor turbulence along the way, we landed in sunny Florida about 12:30. Yee ha!

We rented a car from Alamo (got a decent weekend rate when I booked the car rental at the same time as my flight through the Allegiant) and I happily picked a sporty red Dodge Avenger. I’ve been driving a big minivan for so long I forgot how zippy and easy to drive a normal car is. Joe laughed at me for once again picking the red car. Apparently I am predictable!!:lmao:

We hit the road, stopping at a Walmart for water, protein shakes, sunblock & food. Nothing fancy for lunch, we were out & out starving. Joe had a hoagie (sub for you non PA folks!) and I had two hard boiled eggs (minus the yolks). Need for food satisfied, we finished the drive to the Royal Plaza Hotel.

The Royal Plaza is right down the street from Downtown Disney and is very easy to get to despite the thick traffic. I used a savings code from a certain savers newsletter I get by e-mail so we had a decent rate. Basically we paid a “value” rate, but the beds were the comfort level of a moderate J

This being a “low budget” trip, I did not opt for any fancy views. Our room was nice – clean, simple. No fridge though. I kept the ice bucket filled to chill my protein drinks.

IMAG0705.jpg

IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

There was also a small couch near the sliding glass doors – my photo came out very very dark, so there’s no point in posting it. Opposite the couch were two wooden chairs (like kitchen chairs) but no table. Joe moved one chair next to the bed as an additional night stand for our stay.

Our small patio (no chairs on it) over looked first part of the roof and then the courtyard table area near the pool.

Once I unpacked, we walked around the hotel just to check out the pool, hot tub and gym locations, visit the gift shop & small Disney merchandise store, and check out their little café. By this time Joe looked ready to fall over. Understand that aside from a 2 hour nap the evening before, he had been up since 5 am on Thursday. He was beat! I convinced him to go lay down for a short nap & I’d be fine.

I headed out to check out the area – there was a shopping center I wanted to check out, and a souvenir shop with a crazy paint job that I just had to visit.

IMG_0445.jpg

(image borrowed from tackyfabulousorlando)

The shopping center, which is opposite the Disney World sign on S Apopka Vineland Rd, is chock full of restaurants of all sorts – I remember taco bell, McDonalds, Red Lobster, FuddRuckers, Buffalo Wild Wings – about 20-25 places in all, mostly chains/franchises, and a grocery store. There was one non-chain restaurant, Johnny’s Hideaway – we ate there on Saturday. If you have a car, and are looking for something only slightly off-property, drive on up. Just follow signs for downtown Disney & keep going past it to the other hotels. If you don’t find what you are looking for in this shopping center, you have only to make a left or a right out of the shopping center and you will find loads of eateries.

It was a challenge to get to the tacky souvenir shop (it was on the opposite side of the road), but once in I found some decent deals and fun items. I bought a charm for Katie with her name on it (spelled correctly Kathryn, which is not found everywhere), a Mickey pin for Joe & an Orlando magnet for the fridge. And a made a note to come back in April, when we had no luggage space limitations.

I drove a bit further down past the shopping center and found more restaurants and more “bargain” stores advertising Disney merchandise. I stopped in one, and found lots of goodies and some adorable sundresses. I’ll be going back to that one in April. By the time I browsed a bit, it was time to go back & wake up Joe. I’d told him I’d be back at 5 and it was five of. Traffic made me just a few minutes late (traffic on that road was always ridiculous) and I returned about ten after & Joe was awake, refreshed and ready to head out.

Where were we off to? We had 6:40 dinner reservations at Kona Café! We arrived at the Polynesian a little before 6 pm, so we wandered around, checking out the gift shop and the art store. There was an artist visiting that evening – Michael Godard. Cool paintings that oddly have olives as a common element in just about all of his work.
dirtymartini.jpg

(image from olivesgonewild.com)
He was signing purchases and looked like he was doing some sketching out in front. Joe and I were not familiar with him at all but there was a small group surrounding his table so clearly he had fans.

Eventually we went upstairs & checked in for our reservations. Waited a bit more, taking a photo of the pretty lobby floral/ fountain
IMAG0713.jpg

and checking out the menu. As we waited we watched this one dad with one toddler sitting on his shoulders push a second one in a stroller -- he did about 6 laps before he finally took the little one off his shoulders & made him stay with mom. They were cute, but Joe and I were reminded how much we were enjoying our child-free weekend :goodvibes

I was disappointed that the menu I had read on disboards was not exactly the same. The Crab cakes on the appetizer had a different cream sauce that looked too hot/spicy for me, and I had been looking forward to the pineapple relish that was no longer on the menu. I suppose I could have asked for it, but well, the Polynesian Pork Ribs looked good too, so I ordered that instead.

Joe ordered Portuguese bean & sausage soup, which he loved. He also ate the whole loaf of that yummmmy bread minus one tiny taste (I could not resist!). For dinner he ordered the Togarashi Spiced Ahi Tuna, with tempura fried vegetable maki roll (like an egg roll but with veggies & rice). He really enjoyed his dinner. Sorry, but he requested that we go photo-free for meals this trip. I just took notes instead. Here are photos that I’ve borrowed from the internet—they are the same a what we had:
Ahi Tuna:

Disney2012084.jpg

Pork Ribs:

8271732406_12328724f6_z.jpg

The ribs just fell off the bone with my fork – very tender. The pickled vegetable slaw that came with it had an unusual flavor when I tasted it alone – I wasn’t wild about it . I did put some slaw and some pork on my fork at the same time, and it was a nice complement. But still I did not each much of the slaw. The ribs were great – but I only had room for about two of them. I took the remaining two in a box.

Sadly there was no room for dessert, and while I had every intention of ordering a Lapu Lapu for my post-dinner drink (I will almost always prefer to “spend” calories on a yummy drink than a sweet pastry or dessert), once I realized how truly big it was, and the fact that you pretty much HAD to drink it from a straw (Can you imagine lifting a big pineapple up to drink out of? Ridiculous!!!) I had to change my plan.

(*If this is the first (P)TR you’ve read of mine, you should know that in December of 2012 I underwent bariatric surgery and had the size of my stomach significantly reduced. This has been one of the best decisions I have ever made but I’m not selling you on it – I’m sharing it because as far as DIS reading goes, it makes a difference – I truly eat to live, not live to eat. I eat very small portions, 90% protein, don’t drink through straws, ever, nor do I ever drink soda, carbonated beverages, or while I am eating. I typically eat about 800 calories a day. So you’ll see some different perspectives on dining from me from now on. )
Tummies and taste buds satisfied, we wandered out to the beach. I had timed our dinner reservation so that we could watch Wishes from the beach, and was so looking forward to it! The weather was just perfect – warm with a light breeze, clear, no humidity. We wandered out and they were playing Tangled on the beach, so we grabbed two towels to sit on & watched a bit of the movie while we called Katie to check in and say good night. Luck was with us as the people sitting on the swing left – we sat on the swing a bit (can you believe the swinging was making me a bit motion sick? UGH!!) and then moved over to a lounge chair to sit side by side.

We were traveling light, so all photos are from my phone:

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0728.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0730.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

It really was a perfect way to spend my birthday evening – watching the fireworks reflect off of the water, with the castle glowing in the back, just magical.

After fireworks, we headed back to our hotel. We changed into our swimsuits and headed down to the hot tub. Joe stopped for a soda and I stopped in the lounge for something a little stronger. The bartender was very chatty but in the process forgot to add the cranberry juice to my Bay Breeze, so it was just vodka & pineapple juice. Nothing as fancy as the Lapu Lapu I had wanted that’s for sure!

After chatting and relaxing for a while, we decided to call it a night. It was early by many folk’s standards (maybe 10 pm? ) but well, it is what it is!

(more soon!!)

Sounds like a great day, MaryEllen (besides the airline charges for everything!).

The room looks quite lovely; I'm thinking maybe I should look at that over Pop (I'm just not sold on Pop for our one night in April).

Your dinner looks wonderful, and your pictures of Wishes from the beach at the Poly are terrific. I can't wait to do that in August...one of the things I've missed from when we used to stay at the Poly.

Can't wait to read more.

Good to know that Allegiant charges for EVERYTHING! Just in case I decide to fly them.

How was the Sanford airport?

The ahi tuna looks divine!

So no food issues for you? I remember one DISer who had a terrible time eating after her bariatric surgery. Everything got "stuck". It sounds like that would be pretty uncomfortable. I think everyone eats differently in Disney anyway and that can sometimes reek a little havoc on the GI tract (oh yes - this happened to me in October - spoiler alert), so I can imagine eating after bariatric surgery can be a little dicey at times. Still - congrats to you for taking this step. So awesome!

I really like your hotel room! That bathtub looks heavenly. (Although that could be because I'm only 2/3 done with my 2nd 12 hr. shift of 3! ;) ). My DH and I ate at Kona for our date night and we loved it. I thought your phone took fantastic photos of Wishes.

Sounds like a great day, MaryEllen (besides the airline charges for everything!).

The room looks quite lovely; I'm thinking maybe I should look at that over Pop (I'm just not sold on Pop for our one night in April).

Your dinner looks wonderful, and your pictures of Wishes from the beach at the Poly are terrific. I can't wait to do that in August...one of the things I've missed from when we used to stay at the Poly.

Can't wait to read more.

Kathy, the room was very nice. The hotel itself is undergoing renovations - they were working on the top floors this month, and are working on the lower floors starting in April. They are trying to be more "resort-like" I guess. We were happy with them--really we got POP prices for a CSR comfort level -- comfy beds, thicker walls :) Do you get the Mousesaver newsletter? That's where I got my discount code. I will look for the subscribe link & send it to you.

I can't tell you how much we enjoyed Poly that night. Dinner was just right, and sitting on the beach was, well, really romantic. There were a fair amount of people but every one was really well behaved and enjoying the movie & fireworks.

Good to know that Allegiant charges for EVERYTHING! Just in case I decide to fly them.

How was the Sanford airport?

The ahi tuna looks divine!

So no food issues for you? I remember one DISer who had a terrible time eating after her bariatric surgery. Everything got "stuck". It sounds like that would be pretty uncomfortable. I think everyone eats differently in Disney anyway and that can sometimes reek a little havoc on the GI tract (oh yes - this happened to me in October - spoiler alert), so I can imagine eating after bariatric surgery can be a little dicey at times. Still - congrats to you for taking this step. So awesome!

Sanford was a nice little airport -- size wise a little bigger than Lehigh Valley but not much. Funny though because the TSA agents at Lehigh Valley are umm well they give the impression of being a little laid back. Sanford's TSA were practically militant - in a good way. Well organized, they kept the line moving right along, polite and professional. Same thing for the Alamo rental agents. friendly & efficient - my type of professionals!!

Joe loved the tuna. I would have tasted it but he did say the sauce had a bit of a kick and I don't do spicy. I have been very careful since my surgery not to try wildly different things when I am away from home. I even "practiced" a sugary slushy drink at good friends with a tastefully simple electric blue lemonade bucket (yay, I should have no problems enjoying my Grand Marnier slushy!:cheer2:) But all in all I have not had any food issues. I really do stick to mostly proteins, and choose very carefully to find ones that will be moist - the "getting stuck" happens when food is even a tiny bit dry as post-bariatric patients do not drink with their meals, so you can't "wash it down". I am just now venturing into raw fruits and veggies, still avoiding most carbs aside from a tiny taste here and there like the bread. I have heard some scary stories about digestive issues, but they seem more to happen to folks who have had RNY (gastric bypass) and not the sleeve, which is what I had.

Here is a comparison of my 2009 drivers license (my worst year ever weight wise) and the one I had taken last week:

PADLcompare.jpg

You can see just from the photos why this has been such a fantastic and life changing experience for me -- and that doesn't even clue you in to all of the other health improvements I've experienced. Its not for everyone, and its not "the easy way" even slightly, but its working for me.

I really like your hotel room! That bathtub looks heavenly. (Although that could be because I'm only 2/3 done with my 2nd 12 hr. shift of 3! ;) ). My DH and I ate at Kona for our date night and we loved it. I thought your phone took fantastic photos of Wishes.

LOL 12 hour shifts sound awful. DH's dept will be moving to them by the summer.

We've been to Kona now for breakfast and dinner and thoroughly enjoyed both meals. It definitely is on our return list, and well, Wishes from the beach is wonderful. I think I would even take a ferry out of MK to Poly for the FW & then go back if it were a late night. It was just so calming -- and frankly when my feet are tired from walking I just love squishing my toes in the sand:beach:, its a do it yourself massage!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter