Yeah... We're just offsite kinda' folks... (sorry, long rant)

I don't see this as having a right or wrong answer. It is more of a whatever floats your boat kind of thing.

I've done both on and off site stays, and I prefer on site. I like not having to drive at all. I like knowing if our group needs to split up it is easy peasy for them to get back to the resort. I like being in the Disney bubble for my whole vacation.

However, if someone said to me you have to go and stay off site, I would jump at it! There are many great off site resorts right next to the Disney parks. My favorite is pretty much smack dab at the entrance to DTD. For around $150 a night you can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite with a full kitchen and free breakfast.

In fact, the only reason we don't do off site more is that with 6 or 8 people you need a rental van instead of a car. And the van pretty much eats up any money we would save staying off site.

Do what works for you and your family. There really is no wrong way to do Disney.

To me both onsite and off sit are good depending on the vacation. As for being in 1 room at disney to me it is no problem. If I want a large house I can have that all year at home. At disney it is location location location and just fun for me.

I hear ya!!! I've stayed both on site and off site, from Pop to Animal Kingdom Lodge and I prefer to stay off site and have room to breathe!!

Going back in two weeks and staying across the street from Windsor Hills in a 3 bedroom 3 bath townhouse! :thumbsup2

Next year will be my 10th WDW trip, and our first time staying offsite as a family. (DH and I stayed offsite long before kids during my first trip in 1988 and DD#1 and I stayed with family in the area for a short stay in 2005). Once we started staying onsite, I never thought I'd want to try offsite. I like crossing under the Welcome to Disney World arch and staying onsite until we head back to the airport to go home. However, as our kids have gotten older and I've paid attention to our vacation needs, I have decided to give a 3 BR, 3 bath townhome a shot next summer. The reasons:

1. The four of us in a standard hotel room for a long trip (12 nights) is a bit too much togetherness for us. We all need our own space at the end of the day, especially my teenaged daughter (who will be 15 next trip). The 2011 trip will be the kids and me in a YC CL room for two nights, the whole family for 7 nights at WH, and then 3 nights in an RPR CL room for 3 nights (never been to Universal and want FOTL passes).
2. To get the same kind of room and amenities onsite, we'd have to spend WAAAAAAYYYY more than DH would ever agree to, and way more than I would.
3. Many times on our trips, I have found myself thinking that I wished I could be at home after a day in the parks. While the WH townhome isn't my home, I am hoping that it will be a more relaxing environment and that we won't come home as exhausted as we usually do.
4. Disney food doesn't thrill any of us, and I like the idea of the full kitchen. We won't be making gourmet meals (I am a lousy cook) but we can have some simple meals without having to shower and get dressed to go find food.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way!

I have friends going at the same time as us. They are paying close to if not more than $400 / night for two adjoining hotel rooms onsite. We are at WH for $160/night - 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. I tried convincing them otherwise but I don't think they got it. :confused3

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way!

I have friends going at the same time as us. They are paying close to if not more than $400 / night for two adjoining hotel rooms onsite. We are at WH for $160/night - 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. I tried convincing them otherwise but I don't think they got it. :confused3

Why is this a right and wrong kind of thing. Maybe they wonder why you don't get why they want to be on site?:confused3

I never said it was a right/wrong situation. Just saying that having 7 people crowded in very expensive hotel rooms is not going to be very comfortable. Plus, if you're in a financial bind on a day to day basis as they are, it would make more sense to spend substantially less and gain 1700 square feet of space. $3000 for 2 hotel rooms vs $1100 for a condo that everyone can stay in and split the cost of... it's common sense.

No it is not common sense, but a matter of choice. Maybe for you having 7 people in 2 rooms is crowded, but to them it is not. Maybe for you the extra perks you get staying on site are worthless, but to them are worth a lot.

You can't force your choices on other people. Maybe to your friends doing Disney on the cheap holds no appeal. And if it does to you that is fine, neither of you are wrong. You just choose to vacation in different manners. Maybe you need to try to see their side to it, and not just think they need to get your side.

It's been 4 years since we stayed onsite, and although DH and I would prefer to stay offsite both DC really want to stay onsite again. So for 2011 we're making it an onsite trip.

I think there is magic in both options, your vacation is what you make it! :wizard:

No it is not common sense, but a matter of choice. Maybe for you having 7 people in 2 rooms is crowded, but to them it is not. Maybe for you the extra perks you get staying on site are worthless, but to them are worth a lot.

You can't force your choices on other people. Maybe to your friends doing Disney on the cheap holds no appeal. And if it does to you that is fine, neither of you are wrong. You just choose to vacation in different manners. Maybe you need to try to see their side to it, and not just think they need to get your side.

Force? What?? How is telling someone how much we enjoy WH "forcing" them to do anything?? Worthless perks? Again - What?! Where did I say that? Maybe you don't know the whole story?? Maybe you should stop putting words in my mouth? Maybe you should stop assuming? Why is it wrong of me to simply agree with the OP's topic of liking offsite?? I never said a word about where to stay being right/wrong ~ you assumed I thought that based on a single comment that was only meant as an example as to why WE stay offsite. I never said a word about 'trying to get them to my side.' I never said ANY or implied those things, or that I didn't understand it was a choice or saw things from a different side. I don't care where anyone else stays or how they plan their vacation. I do it our way and what is best for us and that is my ONLY concern.

We've been to Disney numerous times both on-site and off-site. Although the "magic" of staying on-site (and the dining plan) is appealing, you tend to get more bang for your buck staying off-site. If money were no object, then my family would get a 2 BR DVC unit every time. However, our family prefers to go three to four times a year rather than just once a year. We would go broke fast paying for the 2 BR DVC units every time, especially when we go which is around the school breaks for the kids which tends to be high season.

However, as pp stated, to each their own. If you can only go to WDW once a year or less due to not only financial concerns, but vacation time availability, then splurging for on-site is worth the experience. This last time we went for pre-Christmas week, we "squeezed" into a POR-Riverside room for seven nights and we felt clausterphobic. The kids asked why we didn't go to the same place we were in the summer (Vistana Resorts). Needless to say we just booked a room for spring break at the Vistana Resorts. I guess as OP stated, "we're just offsite kinda folks".

Force? What?? How is telling someone how much we enjoy WH "forcing" them to do anything?? Worthless perks? Again - What?! Where did I say that? Maybe you don't know the whole story?? Maybe you should stop putting words in my mouth? Maybe you should stop assuming? Why is it wrong of me to simply agree with the OP's topic of liking offsite?? I never said a word about where to stay being right/wrong ~ you assumed I thought that based on a single comment that was only meant as an example as to why WE stay offsite. I never said a word about 'trying to get them to my side.' I never said ANY or implied those things, or that I didn't understand it was a choice or saw things from a different side. I don't care where anyone else stays or how they plan their vacation. I do it our way and what is best for us and that is my ONLY concern.

When you stated that you tried convincing them to see your point of view but you "don't think they got it", and then state that it is common sense to stay your way, it sounds to me like you did not understand their choice. A does bringing up their finances as another reason they should stay off-site.

My comments on perks and what not were just examples of what your friends might find of value that would convince them to stay on-site. I wasn't trying to pick a fight, but to point out that both ways of vacationing are equally valid. There is no wrong or right way. Even going back and re-reading your first comments, it does still sound as you think staying off-site is the "right" way, and that you think your friends are doing it the "wrong" way.

I'm sorry my comments upset you so.

I've always been an onsite person, but recently started staying offsite. I will say though, atleast make a fair comparison. You are staying at the cheapest, lowest end hotel that disney has.. upgrade to a deluxe and then report back.

The same could be said for making a Disney "deluxe" comparison to any other deluxe resort anywhere outside of Disney. Most average Hyatt's are better than any Deluxe resorts on Disney property in every way, shape, and form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter