Yara Shahidi is the new Tinkerbell

i mean...the real villain of the story is Peter.

He's an emotionally unavailable manipulator who thinks the only thing girls can do is sew and tell stories, and elicits unrequited love wherever he goes, The Mermaids, Water Lily, Wendy, Tink.

Yes. Peter is practically a sociopath. Really, the only character in the film that acts with any sense of responsibility is Nana!

I find it absolutely hilarious that there is always an uproar about the race of actors picked to play fictional characters. I wonder what's going to happen when they discover that Yara doesn't have wings sprouting out of her back.:hyper2::scared:

I never get too concerned, but I do agreee that sometimes there is an issue of why or how it is handled. Most of the time it's fine, but if it seems really off or forced, it can hurt the work overall (anything that seems forced will do this of course). Sometimes I notice interesting trends too, like how often they replace a character who is redhead with freckles, a ginger, with a black actor. Of course, the gingers were pretty much also always in marginalized roles, so they are basically handing that secondary role to another minority to create the illusion of progress and then keeping the main characters as is - is that better? It's just something to think about.

I never get too concerned, but I do agreee that sometimes there is an issue of why or how it is handled. Most of the time it's fine, but if it seems really off or forced, it can hurt the work overall (anything that seems forced will do this of course). Sometimes I notice interesting trends too, like how often they replace a character who is redhead with freckles, a ginger, with a black actor. Of course, the gingers were pretty much also always in marginalized roles, so they are basically handing that secondary role to another minority to create the illusion of progress and then keeping the main characters as is - is that better? It's just something to think about.

I get what you are saying. The only issue I have with your example is that there ARE black people with red hair and freckles. Malcom X had red hair. Take a look at these photos.

https://www.pinterest.com/khamprincess/black-gingers/

I get what you are saying. The only issue I have with your example is that there ARE black people with red hair and freckles. Malcom X had red hair. Take a look at these photos.

https://www.pinterest.com/khamprincess/black-gingers/

Oh, certainly true, it's just very common that they marginalize gingers to begin with and then recast them (not necessarily with a black ginger either). Again, I'm not typically bothered by recasting as long as it is done well and works with the character, but there are things to think about is all.

Last edited:
Or maybe... wait for it... she was the best choice for the character? You know, as an actress. It may have NOTHING to do with race or how she looks.

It is a fictional character from a book that Disney took and made it into what they wanted at the time. Now they want to take it in another direction. It's not the end of the world. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

I think that colorblind casting, like the Frozen at the Hyperion in DL, can send a powerful message about the story being stronger than racial preconceptions.

I think casting with racial intent, as in Hamilton, can be an incredibly powerful storytelling device.

And I think that somewhere between the two, a general leaning towards inclusivity on the part of major studios chip chips away at my views on the redeemability of humanity as a species.

There was no mention of the Little Mermaid's race (other than mermaid) nor her hair color in the source material. There was no mention of Tinkerbell's race (other than fairy) nor her hair color in the source material. Nor was there any part of either story that was built upon a particular racial identity, as was the case in the Princess Frog movie or Mulan.

All there was, was a modern American interpretation of that material that imagined them as Caucasian. I greatly enjoy those interpretations, but I cannot kid myself into believing that demanding that particular imagining of those characters can be rooted in 'traditionalism'. I honestly didn't care much for Auli'i Cravalho as the little mermaid in the live action TV special but that was probably more to do with the production itself, but I'm glad they took the chance and I look forward to seeing Halle Bailey in the roll for the same reason.

Ms. Shahidi is a better than fair actress with absolutely elfin features. I see a lot of pitfalls for a Peter Pan live action, but this casting choice isn't likely to be one of them.

I wonder, was there much uproar against it in 1997 when Brandy Norwood played Cinderella?

In my lifetime anytime someone has started a sentence with “I’m not racist but” it’s always been followed by some racist statement. Always.
I totally get what you're saying but for me, I think it's all about perception. I think people feel the need to start off a sentence like that because they're made to feel that any time an issue dealing candidly with race, that is not in complete favor of the minority, they are going to be called out as racist anyway. People just aren't able to handle civil and reasonable conversations these days about hot button issues and it's no secret that we're living in a time where everyone preaches tolerance until it comes to being tolerant of an opposing point of view....then it's a free for all, and you're the devil. lol This has been nice and I enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts on the subject. No one's wrong here, we're all just different and that's what makes the world go round. It's refreshing to have a candid chat where everyone can speak their mind without it turning ugly. Very rare anymore.

Good point. My issue isn't as much about the characters being replaced as much as it is about the annoying rate at which Hollywood is so desperately trying to say, "look at us and how much we care!" It's to an eyerolling degree. The older generations know just how bad they were. I mean they were painting white dudes orange instead of paying a Native American to portray themselves in their old cowboys and indian movies, but Johnny Depp got blasted for "cultural appropriation" for playing Tonto in a comic role. It's all gotten sooo stupid but, Hollywood is run by clowns that are more guilty than most for doing the things they are on their high horse about now. They are counting on the younger generation to be clueless. They know their audience, and they know just who to pander to.

I wonder, was there much uproar against it in 1997 when Brandy Norwood played Cinderella?
There wasn't. But the '97 Cinderella wasn't a remake or even a live action version of the animated classic. It was a new production of the R&H musical, and I think that bought them a lot of slack.

I totally get what you're saying but for me, I think it's all about perception. I think people feel the need to start off a sentence like that because they're made to feel that any time an issue dealing candidly with race, that is not in complete favor of the minority, they are going to be called out as racist anyway.
It is said by people who do not feel that they are racist at all, but know that they have a view that might be considered racist by others; and especially by those who are the subject of what they are about to say. Now... Taken all on its own, I don't think there is anything controversial about that last sentence.

In practice, it is the sort of preamble that is often used by the likes of Paula Dean to describe her comments about hosting a plantation wedding reception and her use of the n-word. The fact that it is used so much by people to excuse their expression of absolutely racist views should give pause to anyone who does not actually have any racist views.

A better prefix might be, for example, "I don't consider myself a racist, yet I do think a lot of these casting choices come off as pandering."
Or the vibe I like to set, "I realize that I look like the sort of guy who would interrupt you in order to say, 'Ah ah, ALL lives matter', ... "

My issue isn't as much about the characters being replaced as much as it is about the annoying rate at which Hollywood is so desperately trying to say, "look at us and how much we care!" It's to an eyerolling degree. The older generations know just how bad they were.
That's just it. The older generations (mine, my father's) all to often don't know or don't care. Every time I see one of us haul out, "It was a different time..." to excuse inhumane behavior I understand why the current generation has run so hard with the Karen meme. Someone found a picture of you in blackface? "It was a different time." I found out my dad used to go to minstrel shows, "It was a different time." Then they lament the passing of the good 'ol' days, or, in accepting those days as gone, their hopes to make things great again.

My daughter tells me a while back people used to play a game of tag named after assault on a 'lgbt slur', Yep. We played that on my school playground. In gym class. Lead by a gym teacher. It wasn't a different time. It was a worse time. My enjoyment of that behavior is not something "normal for the time", it was a humanist Sin that I carry around my neck like a sea bird to this day; one that I hope to atone for by raising children who are better than I was.

It's all gotten sooo stupid but, Hollywood is run by clowns that are more guilty than most for doing the things they are on their high horse about now.
One might say that today's Hollywood has a lot to atone for as well.

By comparison, think about it if West Side Story’s lead female character was played by someone who couldn’t even hope to pass for a Latina....would one be defending it if that character was played by someone who was about as blond and white as Elsa?

Guess who played Maria in the movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter