xmas budget?

I have 2 boys, ages 8 & 4, and I typically start with their wish lists and work backwards from there. Each boy typically gets 10 presents total, from Santa and us. I know this sounds like a lot but some of the presents are cheap little things, hot wheels, small action figures, etc. They typically get one "big" gift each.

Thankfully as an entire we family we dicided not to buy for extended family anymore a couple of years ago. My husband is the baby of 6 and I am an only child but have more cousins than I can count that we used to shop for. We now only buy for the grandparents and I do one of 2 things every year. I scrapbook a calender for the next year or I make a book from one of the many online photo shops with pictures of my boys throughout the year. Both have been a big hit. These gifts typically only cost me about $30 each.

I have 2 boys, ages 8 & 4, and I typically start with their wish lists and work backwards from there. Each boy typically gets 10 presents total, from Santa and us. I know this sounds like a lot but some of the presents are cheap little things, hot wheels, small action figures, etc. They typically get one "big" gift each.

Thankfully as an entire we family we dicided not to buy for extended family anymore a couple of years ago. My husband is the baby of 6 and I am an only child but have more cousins than I can count that we used to shop for. We now only buy for the grandparents and I do one of 2 things every year. I scrapbook a calender for the next year or I make a book from one of the many online photo shops with pictures of my boys throughout the year. Both have been a big hit. These gifts typically only cost me about $30 each.

10...no that doesnt sound like a lot. i have 3 kids. i would like to keep it at 10. the last couple years was just too much. last year each kid got around 25-30 things each. and then they have 8 aunts and uncles who each get them something. 2 sets of grandparents. 1 great grandmother and 2 great aunts. so in all each kid ended up with about 40 things.

i told my husband this year i would actually like to keep it around 15 a kid. im not looking to cut it completely back. i commend those who give only 3 gifts, but thats just not our thing. we love the huge xmas with piles of presents under the tree.

i told my husband this year i would actually like to keep it around 15 a kid. im not looking to cut it completely back. i commend those who give only 3 gifts, but thats just not our thing. we love the huge xmas with piles of presents under the tree.

I didn’t think I would like only 3 gift either. I did go over my limit last year and it was more like 8ish :confused3 This year I am going to try to stick to 3. It is a little different when the 3 gifts cost twice what the piles and piles used to. :) Last year my DD’s list was a pink digital camera, new cell phone and an ipod "with the docking station if it was not to much" :) She didn’t get a new cell phone (she got a new one in September) but it is first on her list this year. My older 3 kids have their lists on the refrigerator already. I guess they are excited! If I buy them 3 gifts plus stocking stuffers they still end up with 20+ gifts to open.

I am done with our X-mas shopping for the kids.

The rule in our home is you may ask Santa for 3 gifts. Yup 3. Of course if the gift is insanely expensive Santa might just bring one big gift but we haven't come across that yet. By the time it is all said and done (gifts from us as well as Santa- stocking stuffers, ect) This year my DD will have 10 gifts and it cost us about $100. I love Amazon.

Our Son is getting fewer toys (though he is getting his own table and chairs set from Santa) but he has so many we were running out of ideas. He will get two toys from us and a bunch of clothes which is fine since right now he just loves the wrapping paper. His cost was at $100 too.

Both my parents (seperately- they are divorced) and my PILs (Together) will fill in any gaps (actually overfill IMO). Generally I send off a list to my Dad of stuff I know Cat and James would love and again I heart Amazon. He lives in Texas and just has the gifts sent directly to us. I wrap them and put them under the tree from him.

Really my DD doesn't play with her toys that much. She loves to read and dance so most of her stuff is geared towards music (an Mp3 Player) or reading (ie. a magazine sub to American Girl). Both of my children have birthdays at the end of January, beginning of Feb (so does DH) so we try not to go overboard at Xmas and I know that if they are really disappointed in not getting something that I can get it for their birthday. (I will sadly admit that I am obviously OCD and have most of their B-day shopping done- save room for one extra gift)

We do buy for all the small extended children (8 in total) in DH family- we normally spend about $10 on each and I love to give books. I am not sure if the kids love em but the parents sure do. Plus with all the little junk they get I hate to add to it.

For my parents and DH parents we spend about $30 on each and then $20 on each of DH's three brothers and my step sister.

So where down the line we pick up gifts for ourselves (like Santa is bringing me Legally Blonde tickets) but we try not to get crazy about it. Normally my family (grandparents, Dad, ect) send us Cash and we use that to get us our Christmas presents.

Curious how much do you spend on your SO?

-Becca-

I

-Becca-

im assuming this is to everyone so ill answer for my family.

my husbadn and i exchange gifts randomly. this year for example as of now i dont see us buying each other a gift. basically the rule is no gifts between us, xmas is for the kids. but if theres something one of us really wants its a good chance the other will buy it. although it seems we never seem to buy each other gifts the same year, lol.
one year i really wanted to get him patriots tickets, i probably spent close to $1000 for the 2 tickets.
there was the year i needed a new camera. he bought me my dream camera. he probably spent upwards of $1000.

we dont just give gifts to give gifts. and its great because its always a surprise.

The second year of our marriage, we decided to buy something for "us" rather than exchange gifts. The first few years we bought electronics and furniture and stuff needed for our house mostly, and in the ensuing years have gone on trips, to see shows (we lived in Vegas), upgraded electronics, or otherwise jointly decided what our gift to ourselves would be.

17 years later we have not regretted that at all and still do not exchange gifts at Christmas :)

It may be a little different for us since we only have one child, but we go kind of hog wild at Christmas. DD only gets gifts/toys twice a year- once on her birthday and once at Christmas. We don't just randomly buy her a barbie at Target, she has to wait for a holiday. She also gets an allowance for chores so she can choose to buy toys with her money.

Anyway, we have a Christmas Club set up year round that I put $100 a month in, so by Dec 1 I have $1200 to spend. I spend $100 on each set of parents, $100 for each of her 2 teachers, $100 to be divided amongest various others such as my stylist, the newspaper boy, etc. I spend about $50 on a gift exchange at work and about $100 on DH. That leaves me with what I can spend on DD- about $550. I then go through her list and buy her one "big ticket" item. Last year it was a Wii and this year it will probably be a My Twin doll with accessories. I then buy as many little things on her list as possible until I reach my limit. It there are still items on the list, they are bought by the grandparents and my brother. She usually gets everything on the list and more. But, they will be lasting for the whole year!

First let me recommend this website. It teaches you how to truly budget—you know, living on last month’s income and flagging every last dollar. The software is worth every last penny, but there is a ton of free advice/tools on there. It works equally as well for those with big incomes as those with little incomes.

We set aside some of our money for Christmas every month of the year. We then have the kids make a Christmas wish list. They also pick what they want most of all. They always get there #1 pick, whether it is from us, grandparents, etc, provided it is within reason.

We do not spend an equal amount on each child—their wants do not equal the same amount. We could spend more on 3 items for our oldest (who has just crossed that bridge of wants) than 15 items for our youngest. We also do not count presents so they get the same number. However, from Mom and Dad, wrapped and under the tree, is the same number; Santa isn’t as “equal”. Of course, there isn’t a huge divide either, and having all boys close in age most, but not all, things are shared anyhow. My boys aren’t really that possessive.

We just make sure that each child gets their number one wish list item and then a few extras. Many times the extras are things they need anyhow or accessories to the thing they wanted most. I always get a few books and puzzles in there too. Oh, and dollar store items for the stocking. We don’t go way overboard on Christmas gifts and focus more on the other aspects of the season. Family get them so much anyhow—you can’t control what others do and it is tacky to even try, so I just trim the fat at my house.

As far as spending on each other (DH and I), we don’t. I just don’t see the point. We do exchange cards. As far as spending on other family members, no more than $20 per niece and nephew. DH and I don’t spend on our siblings and get a token gift from the kids/all of us for our parents—DH’s parents never appreciate anything and my parents have everything.

We don't do a budget plan for the holidays- it would be too difficult to stick to since I like to get a gift that is perfect for each person.
I can relate to the posters who talk about too much stuff! I hate that the holiday has turned into a gimme fest! I like to keep the focus on family togetherness and the spirit of the season. It's tough to do that though- when my DDs are the only grandchildren on both sides of the family!!!! We have been overwhelmed by the gifts in years past. When we finally got to my MIL's house on Christmas Day my then DD2 refused to open any more presents and burst into tears. It was just too much for her. It doesn't help us any that we have DD3's birthday in Nov., and DD5's and DH's birthdays in December!!!
I really put the brakes on the gift giving. I told my family and DH's family that they were limited to meaningful and appropriate gifts. It took them a little practice to get the hang of it- but last year was a HUGE improvement.
Two years ago I stopped buying gifts for anyone other than my DH and DDs. Except for a few perfect gifts for special people. I felt like the gifts had lost their meaning when they were just given because of obligation.
We are very lucky to come from well-to-do families who never have to worry about money. If they need something or want something- they just go and buy it. Holidays were just silly- no one really wanted anything- but we all gave each other "stuff" anyway.
So I started something different.
We adopt a needy family through out town's social services department. We get their wish lists and suggestions of things they need from the social worker. Then my DH, and two DDs and I shop together as a family and choose special things to make this family's holiday wonderful! Last year we had a family of 3- the mother was dying of cancer and this would be her last Christmas. They had too many medical bills to be able to have a Christmas. There was an 8 year old daughter. We did everything we could to make it special for them. A new camera, board games, DVD player, DVDs to watch as a family, plus a new coat and boots for Dad. A new bike for the little girl and all the toys on her wish list. For mom we purchased a new bedding set so she could snuggle up with her family and a cashmere blanket to wrap around herself. It made us feel good to do something so nice for someone who needed it more than we did. We also put together a Christmas dinner basket with all the fixings and a gift card to our local grocery so they have it to purchase any extras.
Before we delivered all the gifts to the social services office- we piled them all up and took a picture. Then I blew it up to 8x10 and mounted it on a poster board. I wrapped two of these signs and gave them as a gift to my family and DH's family along with the information about the family. They were able to see what the money we would have spent needlessly on them- could do for others.
After Christmas we got a wonderful thank you card from the family. Everything is kept confidential- but the social workers correspond back and forth.
It was wonderful. We think our DDs get more out of that experience than spending days tromping through the malls trying to find something that Grandma doesn't already have!
-Sarah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter