Wyndham Bonnet Creek FEE now $5 PER PERSON, PER TRIP -- see Post #147

Well, I wasn't thrilled either to see this fee. I am not booking my trip just yet (planning for perhaps October of 2014) but I got a quote from VS for October 2013 just to see a ballpark price. A 1 BR deluxe would run me about 89 a night. Then I saw the fee discussion, and realized that would take me over 100 a night. With parking at the parks as well (we would be bringing a vehicle as we have a lot of medical equipment to transport) it would bring it up to $115 a night. My cheap little soul shriveled, thinking about the fact that I could get a Value resort accessible room for $98 a night, free parking, free shuttles (Disney busses, which we don't mind), EMH, and the possibility of free dining. However, if we can't get free dining, the ball swings back toward WBC because at least there we have a kitchen and can do some meals for a lot cheaper. Plus my daughter has fallen in love with the pictures and wants to spend at least one non-park day in the pools, lazy river and mini-golf. If I have one more day of vacation doing resort tours and DTD, I may not have to buy tickets for as long, and maybe even, if I plan it right, wouldn't need the park hopper option. If she got bored of one park (a distinct possibility with her special needs) I bet I could appease her with the resort amenities and downtown disney and other resorts. And we have a ton more room in the room for all my hubby's needs - scooter, recliner, etc. Plus, when he has to take the vehicle to go get treatments, my daughter and I could still use WBC shuttles to get somewhere. We'd just be more locked into their schedules until his treatment was over. i dunno. Overall, I think I have to agree with another poster that this fee turns WBC from a fabulous deal into a great deal. It's definitely still on the list for possible accomodation next fall!

so now it is a "resort" fee. will they stop charging $25 rental fee for pool towels then? :(
i barely use anything more than the pools and now this fee. Well i guess ill get my moneys worth now. :(

They don't charge a rental fee for the towels, They mention they will charge you if the towels aren't returned.

As someone mentioned, They used to just have the towels out at the pools where you could just grab them when you wanted one. The problem was that too many towels were going missing, which resulted in towel shortages, and the resort being forced to pay to replace them. Since the budget for the resort, including towel replacement, is payed by the maintenance fees paid by the owners, the HOA decided to enact the checkout w/ penalty charge if not returned system to keep down the costs. The idea is that having the potential to charge you if not returned, It makes it more likely people will make sure they return the towels. And if towels go missing, the costs to replace the towels is covered by the fee charged.

(In practice, I've had times where I've accidentally left towels in my room instead of returning them as I'm supposed too... or even misplaced a single towel and not been charged.)

So...after reading some emails people have received on this thread and the TUG thread....both from rental agencies and management at WBC...it seems official that the fee will be imposed on all guests (who do not own at WBC or are Club Wyndham Access owners) regardless of parking a car or using a shuttle.

I am not happy with this change.

I took the shuttle 2-3 days on my last trip to save on parking. Each time we tipped the driver a few bucks there and back. Does this new fee mean they will be paying the driver more and I don't need to tip? I doubt it!

Does this new fee mean that the buses will come more frequently? I doubt that too.

It seems like Wyndham just wants to make it more difficult for owners to rent their points out, as WBC has become a resort that has a ton of people there who are renting points and aren't owners.

Remember that this change has been enacted by the HOA, and NOT by Wyndham. [at least directly. I'm not entirely sure how much influence Wyndham still has over the HOA].

That being said, I'm thinking that maybe this charge has been enacted to counteract the loss of subsidies from the sales department. As I'm thinking about it now, I don't think I've seen a line item for the Shuttle on the budget I've received for the past couple years. Since WBC is pretty much sold out at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Subsidies that funding things, such as the shuttle, which made it easier to sell the resort were cut back (Beginning of the year would make sense as a cut-off time). This means that the HOA would end up being forced to make a decision to either discontinue the shuttle service, or find another way to fund it. Their options would end up being either increase the MF's charged to the owner to pay for the shuttle, or enact a fee designed to help fund the system by those who use it. (In theory, The MF's already would help fund the system by the owners of the resort).

As others have mentioned, many offsite properties do not have nearly the same quality of shuttle to the parks, let alone "free" shuttles.

i hope WBC is reading this thread. because they will be very empty next year with alot of ticked off owners.
To the owners, it is six of one. Anything that is "free" at the resort ends up in their maintenance fees. Anything the resort charges for is just something that they don't have to pay for through their maintenance fees. And, if my understanding is correct, those who own at Bonnet will not have to pay this fee. In other words, to the extent that the owners (by which I mean the "own-to-use" owners) care, they are going to love this.

They don't charge a rental fee for the towels, They mention they will charge you if the towels aren't returned.

As someone mentioned, They used to just have the towels out at the pools where you could just grab them when you wanted one. The problem was that too many towels were going missing, which resulted in towel shortages, and the resort being forced to pay to replace them. Since the budget for the resort, including towel replacement, is payed by the maintenance fees paid by the owners, the HOA decided to enact the checkout w/ penalty charge if not returned system to keep down the costs. The idea is that having the potential to charge you if not returned, It makes it more likely people will make sure they return the towels. And if towels go missing, the costs to replace the towels is covered by the fee charged.

(In practice, I've had times where I've accidentally left towels in my room instead of returning them as I'm supposed too... or even misplaced a single towel and not been charged.)

Remember that this change has been enacted by the HOA, and NOT by Wyndham. [at least directly. I'm not entirely sure how much influence Wyndham still has over the HOA].

That being said, I'm thinking that maybe this charge has been enacted to counteract the loss of subsidies from the sales department. As I'm thinking about it now, I don't think I've seen a line item for the Shuttle on the budget I've received for the past couple years. Since WBC is pretty much sold out at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Subsidies that funding things, such as the shuttle, which made it easier to sell the resort were cut back (Beginning of the year would make sense as a cut-off time). This means that the HOA would end up being forced to make a decision to either discontinue the shuttle service, or find another way to fund it. Their options would end up being either increase the MF's charged to the owner to pay for the shuttle, or enact a fee designed to help fund the system by those who use it. (In theory, The MF's already would help fund the system by the owners of the resort).

As others have mentioned, many offsite properties do not have nearly the same quality of shuttle to the parks, let alone "free" shuttles.
I have no issue with the new fee. I do have issue with the way they are implementing it. The communication to owners and the fee launch day are to tight. Also, all existing reservations/renters before the communication date should not have to pay the fee since they made a decision based on the price and promised amenities at the time of reservation.

To the owners, it is six of one. Anything that is "free" at the resort ends up in their maintenance fees. Anything the resort charges for is just something that they don't have to pay for through their maintenance fees. And, if my understanding is correct, those who own at Bonnet will not have to pay this fee. In other words, to the extent that the owners (by which I mean the "own-to-use" owners) care, they are going to love this.

And it's also worth mentioning that many of the people who rent out stays here, They don't actually own at this specific resort. At least, the amount of points needed for the number of stays they rent out.

Honestly... I own there, and for the most part I am for this as it'll keep me from having to pay more for the bus services I don't even use. I'm a bit torn on my feelings regarding the extent of who's being charged... specifically, other Wyndham Owners and even potentially Exchanges into the resort due to the fact I don't really expect to pay a surcharge if I use my Bonnet points to stay at their home resorts.... But beyond that, I don't mind this at all.

I've personally seen first hand how the resort's operations and certain policies have changed for the worse over the past several years in direct response to the increase in rental popularity at the resort. (Pools used to be 24/7 until party groups and vandalism resulted in their hours being shortened with a hard-close at midnight.....The Towel Checkout situation... The checkout procedures moving from a Timeshare-norm type policy to a much more hotel-like policy [which has resulted in both a hit to my MF's as well as I believe some of the issues we've seen with room cleanliness or readiness after turnover due to the turnover staff having more they need to do during the flip process])

We just booked this resort from a private owner a few weeks ago and she forwarded me an email she received just yesterday. It reads:

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your recent reservation at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. As you may know, the resort provides shuttle transportation to and from Walt Disney World Resort, seven days a week for all individuals staying at the resort. Effective Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, the Bonnet Creek Resort Vacation Condominium Association, Inc. will begin implementing a $12 per unit/per day transportation fee. The fee applies to all reservations, except those made for units to be occupied by deeded owners at Bonnet Creek Resort, CLUB WYNDHAM Access owners and CLUB WYNDHAM Presidential Reserve owners.

Sincerely,
Richard Scinta, Resort Manager

While I was not thrilled by this, disappointed really, the more I thought about it the more I "got over it". I've maxed our budget at this point but at the same time I have 3 months to save up another $168.00 and that shouldn't be too hard. We do plan to use the shuttles in addition to the car so that may be part of it. It also helps that we got a steal to begin with. I know what else it out there and for the cost, location, amenities and SPACE I'll book there again if I can get a similar rate. It's not the "OMG what a STEAL" but it's still "Wow what a DEAL" and I'm plenty happy to get a good deal!

I have no issue with the new fee. I do have issue with the way they are implementing it. The communication to owners and the fee launch day are to tight. Also, all existing reservations/renters before the communication date should not have to pay the fee since they made a decision based on the price and promised amenities at the time of reservation.

That, I'll agree with you. I STILL haven't received any official communication from the resort, and I own AND have a reservation for next October. The implimentation timeframe, lack of notice, and issues with even getting a straight answer out of people once news leaked out is disappointing.

I will say however that Wyndham doesn't have an exclusive on the lack of notice before a new fee however. I've heard stories of DVC's removal of the free Valet for owners perk and it's horrible handling. Basically, DVC changed the policy effective Midnight.... So owners who Valeted their car for free the night before woke up to discover they owed $$ to pay for the Valet parking the previous night.

To be fair, they don't really have to tell you. You own there; you won't be paying when you stay. And, yes, DVC didn't exactly go out of their way to let people know about the change in valet policy.

The checkout procedures moving from a Timeshare-norm type policy to a much more hotel-like policy
I don't think this has anything to do with rentals at BC. Wyndham-managed properties have moved in this direction generally.

I don't really expect to pay a surcharge if I use my Bonnet points to stay at their home resorts....
True. Just a few examples come to mind of things that other resorts provide to in-system but non-home-resort owners: the water park access at Glacier and one of the Smoky Mountain resorts, the Smuggs pass at Smuggler's Notch, etc.

What a bummer since we don't use the bus.

Maybe they are making you pay this fee .... at the parking pass desk cuz people were not getting parking passes and the salespeople were getting lonely. :rotfl:

I've heard stories of DVC's removal of the free Valet for owners perk and it's horrible handling. Basically, DVC changed the policy effective Midnight.... So owners who Valeted their car for free the night before woke up to discover they owed $$ to pay for the Valet parking the previous night.

DVC did not do this. Disney did. Disney went from using their employee to an outside service. Disney has a bad habit of not telling the right hand what the left hand is doing - until it is done.

DVC from day one has charged $95 per reservation for any traders (first II now RCI) mainly for the buses - but really also for the dinning, DME and some other things - it was first called a transportation fee (I think) then it was just changed to a fee. although some have say that if you get 2 weeks together in the same DVC resort - you are only charged the fee once.

sounds like WBC is per day.

might stay there again some day - but for right now still trying out the other II or RCI resorts in the area - there is a lot to pick from.

Will those who have already exchanged their timeshare points through RCI for WBC (which includes use of points and an exchange fee) have to pay this additional fee for an upcoming reservation?

Probably. RCI generally allows resorts to make these sorts of changes, and stays out of it.

I STILL haven't received any official communication from the resort
Looks like they've fixed this. On the resort's home page, it states:

Effective February 15, 2013, guests staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek will be required to pay a transportation fee (per unit/per day) for the Walt Disney World® Resort shuttle. Please contact the resort for additional information.

RCI has added it as well, under the Urgent Information section:
Resort Fees
Transportation fee is 84 U.S. dollars.

A few months ago, RCI also *significantly* increased the trade power required to exchange into Bonnet. In some cases, more than similarly-sized units at DVC.

A few months ago, RCI also *significantly* increased the trade power required to exchange into Bonnet. In some cases, more than similarly-sized units at DVC.

I noticed it too. I'm glad I did not take your advice in possibly waiting to exchange into WBC. I made my reservations at the ten month mark (using my 2012 Wyndham points and about 8,000 of 2014 points).

With WBC becoming the go-to place for a cheap Disney vacation for non-timeshare owners, do you think that's the reason why the RCI trade power is so high? I still don't see Wyndham increasing the point value of a week's stay, so we can still use our Wyndham points. But I'm wondering, would it now be better to trade into DVC if you're using RCI? That's something to think about. I also own a week outside of Wyndham. I don't mind staying in cramped quarters....some of our RCI exchanges were pretty cramped.

I don't even try to guess why trade power fluctuates in RCI. We'll never know for sure, and it is pointless to speculate.

As to the Wyndham point requirements: no they will probably not change. It is *possible* that they *could* but it is unlikely.

In the past, I would have preferred a Bonnet exchange to OKW or SSR in many cases---lower TPU and no $95 Disney extortion fee. Now that Bonnet has comparable trade power requirements and just about the same fee, I'm leaning back to any of the DVC resorts.

Just got this from VS

Dear Guest,​​Last week, we were notified by Mr. Richard Scinta, the Resort Manager at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek (Orlando, FL) that effective February 15th, 2013, there will be a $12 per day per villa 'transportation/shuttle fee', that will be applied to ALL NEW and EXISTING reservations, with the check in date on or after 2/15/13. This fee will apply to all reservations whether or not the guest utilizes their transportation service and regardless of which company the guest has booked through. ​​Please note, this is a new policy the resort is about to implement and was not in place at the time you made the booking. We had stated in our original quote that our price includes all taxes and fees, which was true of that time. However, with the implementation of this new Wyndham policy, that has now changed. This is a Wyndham fee that is due at the time of check-in, and is paid directly to the resort upon check. It would apply no matter who your reservation was booked through, such as Orbitz, Expedia, or even another private owner etc…​​We have contacted the resort and Wyndham corporate several times to get some clarity on this matter and there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not this fee will still go into effect. However, we feel it is best to notify our guests in advance of this possibility.​​We apologize about the inconvenience this may cause. Should you have questions or concerns about this potential fee, we have setup a special email account so that you will get a quicker response to your questions.​​mailto:fee@vacationstrategy.com ​​Let us know if you have any questions. We are here to assist you.​​Sincerely,​​Rick & Humaira Bourne​Owners Vacation Strategy, LLC

This should answer the vacation strategies vs vacation upgrades debate moving forward. VU standing behind their contract and reimbursing for this fee.

This should answer the vacation strategies vs vacation upgrades debate moving forward. VU standing behind their contract and reimbursing for this fee.

The fact that VU was $668 more than VS for 14 nights I'm still $500 to the good :yay:

The fact that VU was $668 more than VS for 14 nights I'm still $500 to the good :yay:

Same here. Even with the $12.00 parking/transportation fee, Vacation Strategys is still cheaper than the quotes I got from Vacation Upgrades for me too.

I also got the email yesterday from VS. I was hoping they'd absorb the fees like VU, but still feel I got a good deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter