WWYD.......Where would u go ..school related updated 12/12 page 10

She does have same age friends that she can do some things with but they really just are not on the same level as her they dont really have the same intrests as her. They sometimes dont get her, like when she asks for more homework in class, asks for pop quizes wants to go faster in school. She wants kids that will work on science projects with her and she can talk about books with, someone who can challange her in scrable and trival persuit and race her in sudoko and crosswords.
She is involved in outside of academic activities she is in band , OM and does cross country and is looking forward to track season, she has done some drama productions and the area community band.

She hears about schools that has other courses and activities. she wants those kinds of classes.

My purpose of post where no one knows me is that you never know who knows the one piece of information you need. Some one here may know the name of the one school that would be the perfect fit for her. if you do or do not believe she is gifted or not thats ok.
I have not pushed her she skipped the grade when she was ready to, she could be already through high school if we did push her, they were ready to give her high school classesba few yrs ago, but we did it when she wanted.
She has spent her summers going to science and math camps and summer school, she already has othe rhigh school credits under her belt those are just the NYS High school regents classes she is taking now. Because that is what she wanted to do.

The school screwed up by saying they cant meet her needs, it opens them up to being financlially responsible...that is when they came up with the two yr plan. which I am not allowing.

She made a list for the school of classes that she wants to take during high school and now they r coming up with a plan to see if they can incorperate some of them.

The bolded sounds like my dd11. She fortunately has a group of friends who she calls "nerds" and they get each other. She has had many long conversations on the phone about birds! :rotfl2: And books they have read-almost an informal book club.

DD is in a school of 909 K-6th graders.

It sounds to me like a bigger school with more options would benefit her.

I am not really sure why the responsibility to challenge DD lies on the school your DD is in. :confused3

So, it doesn't really matter how "gifted" the OPs daughter may or may not be, if the district can't offer more classes than moving to a larger district could be a very good plan.

fYI, Giftedness is not under special Ed in all states. I know for a fact that in Houston "gifted" kids do not have IEPs/ARDs (unless there is a qualifying disability) but when I was a kid in West Virginia gifted kids did have IEPs

No IEP for gifted children is required here. I agree with the first paragraph whole heartedly.

She does have same age friends that she can do some things with but they really just are not on the same level as her they dont really have the same intrests as her. They sometimes dont get her, like when she asks for more homework in class, asks for pop quizes wants to go faster in school. She wants kids that will work on science projects with her and she can talk about books with, someone who can challange her in scrable and trival persuit and race her in sudoko and crosswords.

She is involved in outside of academic activities she is in band , OM and does cross country and is looking forward to track season, she has done some drama productions and the area community band.

She hears about schools that has other courses and activities. she wants those kinds of classes.

My purpose of post where no one knows me is that you never know who knows the one piece of information you need. Some one here may know the name of the one school that would be the perfect fit for her. if you do or do not believe she is gifted or not thats ok.
I have not pushed her she skipped the grade when she was ready to, she could be already through high school if we did push her, they were ready to give her high school classesba few yrs ago, but we did it when she wanted.
She has spent her summers going to science and math camps and summer school, she already has othe rhigh school credits under her belt those are just the NYS High school regents classes she is taking now. Because that is what she wanted to do.

The school screwed up by saying they cant meet her needs, it opens them up to being financlially responsible...that is when they came up with the two yr plan. which I am not allowing.

She made a list for the school of classes that she wants to take during high school and now they r coming up with a plan to see if they can incorperate some of them.

If she obtains the sufficient number of courses to graduate, the school is not responsible for any more schooling. Once she has the required courses to graduate, they can graduate her. It's not a good idea for a 10 or 11 year old to take high school classes in summer school or regular school for that matter. It's too bad that they let her.

Here are the names of some excellent girls boarding schools: Dana Hall in Wellesley, MA, Emma Willard in Troy, NY, Miss Porter's School in Farmington, CT, Havergal College in Toronto, Canada, Bishop Strachan in Toronto, Canada. The tuition for boarding students is generally about $50000 per year. Each of the schools mentioned will have financial aid.

Not sure where you are located but does your state or county offer virtual classes?

I was going to ask the same thing. My son took a couple of online classes. He loved them because he could plow right through them. Finished his physics class in half a year. He went through Virtual Learning Academy but I know BYU had some courses as well as a few others. Check with your guidance department.

I think that if she is aiming for Harvard she needs to plan backwards by looking at the kinds of experiences that most Harvard freshmen enter with. I don't have hard data but I can speak anecdotally about kids I know who have matriculated there. Generally they have:

-- at least a year of math beyond BC calc (e.g. multivariable calc, IB math H.L.).

-- either many AP classes, an IB diploma, or classes taken online or in person at a well regarded 4 year school (not a community college).

-- activities that show sustained commitment to an intellectual interest outside of school. The fact that she is asking for extra homework and pop quizzes tells me that she's got a lot of growing to do in this area as she is still expecting the adults to spoonfeed her and chart the course. As she matures she needs to think about what interests her and pursue that-- will she write a novel? Develop a research project? Take up a political or other cause and research/advocate/fundraise? Etc. . .

-- activities that demonstrate leadership.

-- meaningful ongoing community service

I think that if you look at this list you will find that your location provides both challenges and benefits. On one hand you will find that she needs to look harder for opportunities but doing so allows her to denonatrate initiative and develop independence. She may have fewer politicians or scientists to approach but if she finds a fit she may be the one highschooler doing meaningful work alongside adults, rather than one of a pack of interns doing busywork.

My DS15 was also reading at the age of 2. Skipped second grade and has an IQ of 146 (given by a child psychologist). I took a much different route though. As a military family, we move quite a bit. Schools and academic standards are different in every city/state in which we move. On our latest move, my son was quite a bit ahead and they wanted to put him in sophomore classes (he was a freshman) and we said No. He was already the youngest freshman due to skipping second grade. He didn't feel comfortable with the older kids. We decided to keep him with his peers. The only exception was history but only because he would have to completely repeat the same book. He is now a sophomore. The only Jr. level class he takes is History. I do not regret the decision at all. For us personally, there is more to life than hurrying through and trying to be the smartest one around. He runs cross country and track and has made good friends. That makes us all happy. I am already freaking out that my son will start college at 17. I would not do it one minute earlier though.

OP, having moved around quite a bit, I can you tell that you will not know the full extent of your child's level until she is adequately tested. Schools vary greatly from state to state. She may be very advanced compared to her peers now, but that could change greatly if you lived elsewhere. I have seen it with my own DS. Sometimes we move to a city where he is really far ahead and then sometimes, he attends a school where is a closer on track with everyone else. I would hate for you to make such a huge decision without all of your DD's academic facts.

My DS15 was also reading at the age of 2. Skipped second grade and has an IQ of 146 (given by a child psychologist). I took a much different route though. As a military family, we move quite a bit. Schools and academic standards are different in every city/state in which we move. On our latest move, my son was quite a bit ahead and they wanted to put him in sophomore classes (he was a freshman) and we said No. He was already the youngest freshman due to skipping second grade. He didn't feel comfortable with the older kids. We decided to keep him with his peers. The only exception was history but only because he would have to completely repeat the same book. He is now a sophomore. The only Jr. level class he takes is History. I do not regret the decision at all. For us personally, there is more to life than hurrying through and trying to be the smartest one around. He runs cross country and track and has made good friends. That makes us all happy. I am already freaking out that my son will start college at 17. I would not do it one minute earlier though.

OP, having moved around quite a bit, I can you tell that you will not know the full extent of your child's level until she is adequately tested. Schools vary greatly from state to state. She may be very advanced compared to her peers now, but that could change greatly if you lived elsewhere. I have seen it with my own DS. Sometimes we move to a city where he is really far ahead and then sometimes, he attends a school where is a closer on track with everyone else. I would have for you to make such a huge decision without all of your DD's academic facts.

This is very smart.

I am not a fan of skipping grades. I think that it does a disservice to children socially. While I think academics are important, I think that people get so caught up in the pride of their child being smart that they forget that there is more to life.

OP, it seems that your daughter is already missing social cues. No matter how academically challenging or advanced a class is, it is never socially acceptable amongst kids to ask for homework or pop quizzes. Even the most brilliant student sees this as sucking up.

The above poser is correct. Schools vary from district to district and state to state. Your daughter is obviously bright, but she may not be leaps and bounds above her peers in a different district. She may, indeed, be a big fish in a little pond.

I would also encourage you to seek out your nearest large, university-based hospital with a pediatrics department and have her tested by an educational psychologist. In all honesty, I would focus now more on enriching her education via extracurricular activities and online programs if she needs more intellectual stimulation.

they really dont offer any extras to add to her schedule

I am not encouraging the 2 yr high school plan. School is suggesting this.

Op, if the school is suggesting this, they surely have done some testing. Have you asked where she stands in relation to other kids her age, and do you know her IQ? Was her older brother gifted? Also, in most states, you need a certain core group of classes to graduate. For example, in my state, you need 4 years of English/LA/literature type classes. How does the school plan on having her meet those requirements?

I'm not a big fan of kids taking the SATs or ACTs early because I think a lot of the stuff on those tests is acquired knowledge. For example, it's hard to answer the math questions unless you have taken that particular math class. It doesn't mean a kid is not intelligent. Although they are not perfect, I think iq tests are a better indicator of intelligence. I'm also not a huge fan of the Johns Hopkins and Duke programs, because they are quite expensive. But, you've been given some good advice on some enrichment stuff online, such as the MIT and Yale open courses. They don't provide college credit, but they are free! Also, your daughter can self-study for any AP test, so if she finishes hs early, she can spend a year or two preparing herself to take those exams. Hoagies gifted was also mentioned, but again, most of that stuff costs $$$$. There are some competitive free programs,however. Do a search also to see if there is a parent advocate group anywhere in your area. They sometimes pool their resources to provide enrichment activities for their kids.

Also, please, please, please don't encourage your daughter to only set her sights on Harvard, or even the Ivy League in general. There are many, many excellent colleges in the US. Every year there are students with perfect SAT scores and gpas who are turned down at Harvard. It's really a total crapshoot.

And sorry, I also have two off topic comments. :offtopic: A prior poster mentioned a GIEP. I'm guessing that means a gifted iep. In CT, I used to get a letter every year saying that my child had been identified as gifted, and that they were obligated to inform me of that, but they were not obligated to provide services. Do other states mandate special services for gifted students?

Also, I'm curious about the specialized high schools in NYC. I always assumed that you had to actually live in nyc to apply to them. It sounds like that is not the case---is that true? Seems like a bad precedent, because then people from out of district can apply and take a spot from someone who is already a bona fide city resident. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

eta:Sorry. I started this post earlier in the evening. After I finished it, I read the posts that were written between the time I started writing and the time I finished it, and I see that others have mentioned that some states do, while others do not, require IEPs for gifted students. Personally, I think they should, but I don't rule the world.

My granddaughter is gifted. My daughter decided that she was to stay in her grade level. The teachers used her as a teachers aid and she did secretarial work as well. This went on for 3 yrs. She did really good in school however she lost all interest in it. It has been a hard battle getting her interested again and it isn't working. She is in her last year of HS and can do the work easily but is now very lazy. Her cousin was the same and ended up not going any further than HS. If she had of been pushed harder and given more challanging work it could have been so different.
tigercat

OP, it is apparent your daughter is interested in science. So we know the concentration area in which she would be interested. You are willing to move anywhere. How much are you willing/able to pay? Are you okay with religiously affiliated schools?

There are quite a few good prep schools in my area, but they are very costly, and many are religiously affiliated.

ctinct, for the specialized high schools you do need to be a resident. I believe you also have to be a resident for the gifted and talented programs, but I could be wrong about that.

You can go to other city high schools as a non-resident, but you will have to pay to attend the school.

This is just the type of place im looking for. She is taking her SAT in dec so that too may open up some opportunities for her

My dd took the SAT's in 7th grade as part of Northwestern's talent search. A few months after the test she started to get a bunch of offers from elite boarding schools to apply for scholarships and admission. She's in 9th grade now and still gets a couple of mailings a month.

And sorry, I also have two off topic comments. :offtopic: A prior poster mentioned a GIEP. I'm guessing that means a gifted iep. In CT, I used to get a letter every year saying that my child had been identified as gifted, and that they were obligated to inform me of that, but they were not obligated to provide services. Do other states mandate special services for gifted students?

Yes. In PA specifically gifted is identified as "having an IQ over 130 and in need of specially designed instruction". The Gifted IEP (GIEP) has the same core components as an IEP: present levels of performance, statements of goals and objectives, lists of specially designed instruction, and any special services such as a gifted pull-out program or or other alternative placements. It is revisited every year. Essentially, in our case, we plan in which areas my DD will receive enrichment or deeper teaching. We also list alternative means of assessment such as special projects. Each of her teachers is in contact with her to identify topics of particular interest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's a perfectly nice girl but I can't imagine many kids liking a kid who asks for more homework and asks for pop quizzes to be given in class? In my extremely competitive high school, she'd have been shunned - and we all liked academics and such. Asking for the whole class to be given more work because you want it is just verboten in school in my experience.

Kids who want more work go get more work for themselves - extra-credit projects or what have you.

Also, I'm curious about the specialized high schools in NYC. I always assumed that you had to actually live in nyc to apply to them. It sounds like that is not the case---is that true? Seems like a bad precedent, because then people from out of district can apply and take a spot from someone who is already a bona fide city resident. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

You have to live in the City to attend them but I dunno about taking the test. The OP said she'd move anyplace so ... :confused3 not sure if you need to reside already to take it or just to enroll if you make it in to one. Moot point though.

There's no districting to them though, if you meant it beside City/not, anyone in the City itself can go to any of them (like a kid from the Manhattan can go to B'klyn Latin, someone from Staten Island can go to Bronx Science, etc.)- admission is decided by your test score alone.

My purpose of post where no one knows me is that you never know who knows the one piece of information you need. Some one here may know the name of the one school that would be the perfect fit for her.

I'm not trying to be rude, honestly, but that's just unrealistic. We don't know your daughter, we have nothing concrete to assess (e.g. test scores) and we don't know your financial situation. As a PP poster mentioned, there are lots of top notch private schools - particularly in New England, places like Groton School, Phillips Andover, Phillips Exeter, Concord Academy might be worth looking into, depending on your financial situation. For public schools. I grew up in Harvard MA and the local high school, The Bromfield School, is small but has an excellent track record in sending its top students to Harvard, other Ivies & Little Ivies. However, I'm sure there are hundreds and hundreds of similar public schools - we have no way of identifying that "perfect fit" for your daughter.

I wish you the best of luck in working out what is best for your daughter. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter