WWYD.......Where would u go ..school related updated 12/12 page 10

My kids go to a very small Catholic school, with no "gifted" or "AP" classes. Algebra is standard, however, starting 1st quarter of 7th grade. So, an 8th grader taking Algebra is nothing, IMO...they also do Geometry in 8th grade, OP - sounds like your kid is in a very basic school. I wouldn't worry about anything more than sending her to a public school with more opportunities around you..

That is what I was thinking reading the entire thread. Our "completely average" kids take Algebra starting in 7th grade. That is our school's curriculum. :confused3

we're also in NY (Rochester) and in our school district algebra is the regular curriculum in 7th and 8th grade.

OP I think the first step should be having your DD's IQ officially tested and then to speak to a guidance counselor at your school to see what the options are. I personally think social skills are important also, not just academics. Also, colleges look for well rounded kids so she should get into some clubs, volunteering, etc.

From the OP and her follow ups it does not sound like the OP has focused on much other than how much sooner her child dose everything than other kids.
Childhood should not be a race to finish early, it should be a process to get the most TOTAL, whole being out of in those brief 18 years.

I couldn't agree more.

That is what I was thinking reading the entire thread. Our "completely average" kids take Algebra starting in 7th grade. That is our school's curriculum. :confused3

Which is why the OP is trying to get her kid in a different district I think. Here in MO schools are wildly different with urban, small town, & the burbs as far as curriculum. I don't blame here one bit for getting out of a district that is so limited.

The fact that the school had no "gifted program" to help point the parent in the right direction did not help OP either.

I hate to keep saying it but that is why the SAT & ACT test will give the OP relatively quick assessment of where her dd sits nationally & then OP can proceed from there.:thumbsup2

Look into Duke Tip and John Hopkins! I do know with Duke Tip you could get a letter of invite from them via your guidance counselor. If she is not in 6th grade yet then you are good.

The kicker is you have to take the test in Dec. because that is the deadline date. If she were to get a perfect score, you are looking at scholarship $ which is not unheard of. Also I do think the deadline date was Oct. for Duke Tip now that I think about it, but I would still look into it. Maybe John's Hokins program has something there. I do not know anything about that I am sure that is what your area of the country uses.

My dd took the ACT in 6th and got near a perfect score on the "english" part, no surprise there.

We went to there ceremony thing and a few kids got perfect scores at 11/12yo.:thumbsup2

So I would tell you to start looking into that.

I certainly have a kid who does not like the whole "highschool thing" and she WILL be happier in a more adult environment. But even she had things she would miss in every area we lived up and has been reluctant to move. A few close friends, karate schools, girl scout troops, etc. It appears from the OP that this girl has lived pretty much her entire life in one place--if NOTHING there,at age 11,causes her to feel she does not want to leave, it would seem that she has not been helped/encouraged to find things and places and people that she can connect with.

The OPs dd is 11, in an 8th grade class. Mom is a single parentin a small town, with 500 kids in K-12. That's 38 kids per grade. When you have that small of a peer group, you just don't have a ton of options, and what's available will just have the same peer group over and over again.

Clearly, the school is not prepared for academically advanced kids. And the more posters argue that OPs kid may not be THAT academically advanced, the more that means that the child's peer group is even further removed from her academically. I mean, if OPs dd was gifted or bright, rather than profoundly gifted, what does that say about the school system that says they cannot handle it? It says that in a spread over 13 years, they do not have a single student that is even close to OP's dd academically. Sorry, that doesn't mean that the dd is a failure socially. It could mean that she would welcome being in a peer group that is closer to her level of intelligence. Wouldn't you?

OP, I do agree with others that you need to get a quantitative feel for her level of intelligence. She could be profoundly gifted, gifted, or just plain bright. Here, 8th graders take the classes you listed (my own dd, who is in no way, shape or form gifted, took Honors Algebra in 7th) so that doesn't prove anything. Neither does potty-training or when they learn to read. But I do think that you absolutely need to find a place where you can get a larger peer group for your dd. One that will have more kids that are closer to her academic level. You say that a jobs a job, but many areas that have better schools also have a significantly higher cost of living. I'd give up the idea of raising another Doogie Howser graduating med school at 16, and instead focus on finding a high school that will work for her.

The OPs dd is 11, in an 8th grade class. Mom is a single parentin a small town, with 500 kids in K-12. That's 38 kids per grade. When you have that small of a peer group, you just don't have a ton of options, and what's available will just have the same peer group over and over again.

Clearly, the school is not prepared for academically advanced kids. And the more posters argue that OPs kid may not be THAT academically advanced, the more that means that the child's peer group is even further removed from her academically. I mean, if OPs dd was gifted or bright, rather than profoundly gifted, what does that say about the school system that says they cannot handle it? It says that in a spread over 13 years, they do not have a single student that is even close to OP's dd academically. Sorry, that doesn't mean that the dd is a failure socially. It could mean that she would welcome being in a peer group that is closer to her level of intelligence. Wouldn't you?OP, I do agree with others that you need to get a quantitative feel for her level of intelligence. She could be profoundly gifted, gifted, or just plain bright. Here, 8th graders take the classes you listed (my own dd, who is in no way, shape or form gifted, took Honors Algebra in 7th) so that doesn't prove anything. Neither does potty-training or when they learn to read. But I do think that you absolutely need to find a place where you can get a larger peer group for your dd. One that will have more kids that are closer to her academic level. You say that a jobs a job, but many areas that have better schools also have a significantly higher cost of living. I'd give up the idea of raising another Doogie Howser graduating med school at 16, and instead focus on finding a high school that will work for her.

I dont disagree with you that moving might help the OP's DD expand her network socially esp if the area is very small town but....

I disagree with the bolded statement. I want my kids to be friends with and interact with everyone from all levels! I want them to be able to interact with people, all people. The working world will be very diverse and even the smartest person in the world needs to communicate to those around them. And many people come in their own much later. I know many people who were in lower tracks than myself in HS who are now VERY successful business people. So intelligence is great and having a stimulating conversation with an intellectual equal is fun but there is more to life and people need to be more well-rounded than that.

I know a doctor who is suppose to be extremely brilliant. But he is also a complete arrogant tool. He does not know how to talk to his patients bc he feels he is so much smarter than them, and he probably is, but he puts them off.

I have an 11 yr old she is currently in the 8th grade taking 3 high classes. Algabra, biology and french 1. She attends a public school. While having a meeting with school last week reguarding history the guidence counsler and principal...told me that the school can no longer meet her needs and we should look at other options for high school. So now I have to figure out what the best option would be for her.

I am open to any and all ideas. I am willing to move just about anywhere. Only requirement is that i need to find a job but i dont care what i do.

Options i've started looking at:

combination of continuing at our public sublimented with online courses

private high schools both all girl and co-ed.

I am tring to find but with no luck yet the high school where u get your hish school diploma and associates degree at the same time.

Her ultimate goal is to go to Harvard and to be a Pediatric cardilogist or heart transplant surgeon and maybe on her days off she would work as a flight surgeon on a med flight helicopter.

What about community college classes? Otherwise, many of the elite private schools (not meaning parochial) have scholarship and financial aid available. While it sounds like you have a gifted child, has she been tested? For eighth grade, those classes sound great but not terribly advanced. My average seventh grader was offered French 1 (chose spanish) and is in pre-algebra. Also, have you asked the school why they can't meet her needs? Personally, I have very little tolerance for bright and gifted kids getting the shaft at school (most teachers I know do too). I know current laws and testing have schools focusing on troubled kids, but focusing on good kids is worth fighting for imho.

Reading the Algebra comment, I have to agree. I started being taught it in 4th grade (I was in a special program) and took a full load of it in 6th.

Also, has she learned to write long papers, and give presentations? Those are standard in college. I actually wrote an 8 page paper in 5th grade, and have to give an hour long presentation along with a hands on activity. We all had too. It was in a public school as well.

It could just be your daughter needs to attend a public high school with a tougher schedule.

mine either

i had the same reaction

Its over an hour away and not really the enviroment id want her in they actually have state police stationed in the school due to problems.

Most schools do have a police officer on staff. It doesn't mean the school is bad. Have you checked out the environment yourself? I went to a school considered dangerous to outsiders and while there were some rough kids, the bright kids were sheltered away from it all…and those schools tend to have amazing opportunities (it's whether you capitalize on them). Anyhoo…your daughter being much younger than the typical freshmen may be a problem though.

Clearly, the school is not prepared for academically advanced kids. And the more posters argue that OPs kid may not be THAT academically advanced, the more that means that the child's peer group is even further removed from her academically. I mean, if OPs dd was gifted or bright, rather than profoundly gifted, what does that say about the school system that says they cannot handle it? It says that in a spread over 13 years, they do not have a single student that is even close to OP's dd academically.

I don't buy it. In a school of 500, if you take the (generally) accepted 3-5% of students being gifted, there should be round about 15-25 students from K-12 who will come under the gifted label. I know that's just a statistic and MAYBE this school has never seen a gifted child before, but I'm calling bull. It's *possible* that every single gifted child at that school has been ignored and the school has a history of crying "we can't fill their needs!", but honestly, I don't believe it. I'd love to hear the school's side to all this!

1) social skills are important.
2) if she is two years away from harvard, how do you plan on paying for it.
3) are you prepared to move in 3 months if it comes down to that? and if it is a school that you need to pay for - how do you plan on paying for that?
4) has she had educational testing to tell where she is that - gifted children tend to excel in one area or another.
5) IQ testing is helpful.

I say that if she wants to move to have her needs met - send her to boarding school. :)

Problem solved.

1) social skills are important.
2) if she is two years away from harvard, how do you plan on paying for it.
3) are you prepared to move in 3 months if it comes down to that? and if it is a school that you need to pay for - how do you plan on paying for that?
4) has she had educational testing to tell where she is that - gifted children tend to excel in one area or another.
5) IQ testing is helpful.

I say that if she wants to move to have her needs met - send her to boarding school. :)

Problem solved.

Harvard is actually one of the cheapest schools you can go to, if you have financial need. Like a few other big-endowment schools (Yale, Princeton, etc.), their financial aid is very generous. If a family makes under $65,000, Harvard is completely free. If the family makes under $200,000, I think, they're only responsible for a portion. It's far cheaper to go to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton than many state schools--and that's one of the reasons it's become twice as competitive in the past decade.

I have lots of misgivings about the OP, but some experience and questions.

I have a friend whose brother was the accelerated kid. He read at 2, went to kindergarten at 3, skipped 2nd, and started college at 15. While he was extremely bright and was among his academic peers, emotionally and socially he was way behind. He never finished college because the atmosphere there was so miserable for him. Intellectually he was on par with his classmates, he had no social life. 18 year old college freshmen don't want to socialize with 15 year olds. They have very little in common. 21 year olds who are going to clubs aren't going to include 18 year old who can't get in in their plans. While the atmosphere was intellectually stimulating, it was socially retarding. Not to mention, having been to college, I know there are experiences my 15 year old is not emotionally prepared to handle.

Same friend, her cousin's son is a profoundly gifted child. He was in public school, and they openly admitted that they couldn't meet his intellectual ability. This was in elementary school. (and this is the only child I have ever known of in real life that is truly profoundly gifted) the SCHOOL arranged for his tuition to a private school that could better meet his intellectual needs, while maintaining his emotional needs by keeping him with age appropriate peers.

Now on to the OP.

I didn't think that public schools were allowed to tell a parent that they couldn't meet their needs and leave the responsibility on the parent to find those resources. Now I am not versed in this, having woefully average children, but I thought that is why IEPs existed. I thought IEPs were designed so that the school system meets the needs of children with special needs, and I would assume that being profoundly gifted is a special educational need.

What type of employment does the OP have that she is able to pick up and move "anywhere?"

What type of employment does the OP have that she is able to afford "any" school? I know what prep schools here cost (and they are day schools) I imagine the cost of an elite prep boarding school would be even more.

I would worry about the emotional development of an adolescent that is not only willing to move away from her social group, but is actually asking to do so. I have an 11 year old and a 15 year old, and they would fight that tooth and nail.

Are the "needs" of this child ones that the school thinks that she has? If so, again, I would think that it would be their responsibility as a public school to develop an IEP to meet those needs, or are these "needs" something the OP thinks the child has and the school doesn't agree? Thus the statement "we can't meet her needs."

Harvard is actually one of the cheapest schools you can go to, if you have financial need. Like a few other big-endowment schools (Yale, Princeton, etc.), their financial aid is very generous. If a family makes under $65,000, Harvard is completely free. If the family makes under $200,000, I think, they're only responsible for a portion. It's far cheaper to go to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton than many state schools--and that's one of the reasons it's become twice as competitive in the past decade.

This. Cost is the last thing to worry about re: Harvard.

However, again, no one, but no one, can bank on or even remotely plan on going to Harvard. It's a total lottery situation at this point. Not to mention that, honestly, for many people, there are better schools.

Don't get me wrong, friends who went loved it but there are a number of excellent, excellent schools. It's about finding the best fit. Of course, many of those are also crazy competitive, heh.

Maybe the OPs daughter is, but taking algebra, biology & French in the 8th grade was normal back when I was in school & just meant you were in the top stream, not some sort of child genius!

Algebra 1 and Language 1 is the normal 8th grade curriculum in our district. Nothing special about it.

If she was were she was supposed to be age wise she would be in 6th grade this year. Take into account some kids being left back she is in her math class with 15 & 16 yr olds too.

15 and 16 year ods in Algebra? That is Sophomore and Junior age. Pretty late to be taking Algebra. They should already be in Geometry with the advanced in Trig. It sounds like your school is a bit behind in academics. Now I see why you need to look for a new school.

Honestly, I would talk to them about trying to add LOTS of extras into her schedule (art, woodworking, theatre, etc) and spreading t out to four years anyway--so that she gets the time to grow socially and can broaden her horizons and not focus on all academics all the time.

If she complains of boredom, let her know that sometimes life is boring AND that it is up to her to find some interesting, non academic things to have n her life--that you want her to be well rounded and that she needs to grow up emotionally at a normal rate, even if her academics are accelerated.

If the school does not have enough electives to fill the day, perhaps she can be a helper in a younger classroom some of the time and also take some art courses, etc in the community for other times. Or take some things online as well.

they really dont offer any extras to add to her schedule

Oh I would really not encourage that! There was a 14 year old freshman in my college class and he *really* struggled socially. Academically he was fine (though from memory, he'd been on a fast track from elementary school whereas your daughter doesn't appear to be that ahead of her peers, though maybe I'm misunderstanding). He struggled to make friends - there's a massive difference between a 14 year old college freshman and an 18 year old one. I know he ended up being terribly unhappy. I'd encourage you to let your daughter slow down and enjoy her teen years in a high school, not a college environment.

I am not encouraging the 2 yr high school plan. School is suggesting this.

Most schools do have a police officer on staff. It doesn't mean the school is bad. Have you checked out the environment yourself? I went to a school considered dangerous to outsiders and while there were some rough kids, the bright kids were sheltered away from it all…and those schools tend to have amazing opportunities (it's whether you capitalize on them). Anyhoo…your daughter being much younger than the typical freshmen may be a problem though.

Not around here police officers are not the norm. we r very rural like seeing bears and mountian lions in our back yard, drive a half hr to go to the supermarket rural.

She does have same age friends that she can do some things with but they really just are not on the same level as her they dont really have the same intrests as her. They sometimes dont get her, like when she asks for more homework in class, asks for pop quizes wants to go faster in school. She wants kids that will work on science projects with her and she can talk about books with, someone who can challange her in scrable and trival persuit and race her in sudoko and crosswords.

She is involved in outside of academic activities she is in band , OM and does cross country and is looking forward to track season, she has done some drama productions and the area community band.

She hears about schools that has other courses and activities. she wants those kinds of classes.

My purpose of post where no one knows me is that you never know who knows the one piece of information you need. Some one here may know the name of the one school that would be the perfect fit for her. if you do or do not believe she is gifted or not thats ok.
I have not pushed her she skipped the grade when she was ready to, she could be already through high school if we did push her, they were ready to give her high school classesba few yrs ago, but we did it when she wanted.
She has spent her summers going to science and math camps and summer school, she already has othe rhigh school credits under her belt those are just the NYS High school regents classes she is taking now. Because that is what she wanted to do.

The school screwed up by saying they cant meet her needs, it opens them up to being financlially responsible...that is when they came up with the two yr plan. which I am not allowing.

She made a list for the school of classes that she wants to take during high school and now they r coming up with a plan to see if they can incorperate some of them.

I currently live in a very small town with about 250 students in K-12. There are 11 students in my DDs class that is graduating this year. It is true that there are limited resources. Some stuff just is not available that you would find in a larger school. This is our second year in this town after living in Houston, so I have seen both sides.

The advanced classes that were available in Texas just don't exist here. A few kids will take Algebra in 8th grade but most don't. My D was not able to take Calculus because it each math class is not offered every year. She started Spanish 1 in 7th grade in Texas. Here there are no foreign languages offered at all. My DD only needed to take English and History this year to finish out her graduation requirements in NM. She is a teacher aid 3-4 class periods because if she only went to school part of the day she would not get a class rank. She will have something like 24 hours of college credit from dual enrollment when she graduates this year. She hasn't taken a science class since the 10th grade because she had already taken 3 before we moved and they are the same three classes that are offered here-biology, chemistry, and environmental science.

So, it doesn't really matter how "gifted" the OPs daughter may or may not be, if the district can't offer more classes than moving to a larger district could be a very good plan.

fYI, Giftedness is not under special Ed in all states. I know for a fact that in Houston "gifted" kids do not have IEPs/ARDs (unless there is a qualifying disability) but when I was a kid in West Virginia gifted kids did have IEPs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter