Would you buy DVC if . . .

PSwisher

Earning My Ears
There's been a lot of Disney "magic" removed lately such as the Magic Bands, Fastpass, Magical Disney Express from airport, etc. What if Disney was removing these perks from the casual, once in a lifetime visitor, but instead restored them for DVC only? I know . . . the argument loses water when you consider Disney wants everyone to return time and again, but I just started thinking: what if Disney was really doing all of this to encourage people to purchase the real estate option (DVC) so they were doing all (or some) of this to drive bigger sales transactions? Inherently DVC folks (like myself) always get into the "perks" conversation, and Disney certainly has been building new DVC resorts, so . . . .

There's been a lot of Disney "magic" removed lately such as the Magic Bands, Fastpass, Magical Disney Express from airport, etc. What if Disney was removing these perks from the casual, once in a lifetime visitor, but instead restored them for DVC only? I know . . . the argument loses water when you consider Disney wants everyone to return time and again, but I just started thinking: what if Disney was really doing all of this to encourage people to purchase the real estate option (DVC) so they were doing all (or some) of this to drive bigger sales transactions? Inherently DVC folks (like myself) always get into the "perks" conversation, and Disney certainly has been building new DVC resorts, so . . . .
Probably wouldn't impact me as the "reinstated perks" would only go to top tier DVC owners. I'm post 2016 (but pre 2019), so I'm, I guess, mid tier?

If all of this was removed when I bought DVC, I probably wouldn't have bought it, tbh. I'm not unhappy with my DVC membership, and without DVC we probably wouldn't go to Disney as often as we do, so I know my kids are happy with it. But it is very, very difficult to justify the overinflated cost of staying on Disney property with none of the perks.

If I wasn't DVC, there is no way I'd pay to stay on property now. No fast passes, no dining plan, no ME, no EMH. No reason to pay more for these rooms than a Holiday Inn to be frank.

Probably wouldn't impact me as the "reinstated perks" would only go to top tier DVC owners. I'm post 2016 (but pre 2019), so I'm, I guess, mid tier?

If all of this was removed when I bought DVC, I probably wouldn't have bought it, tbh. I'm not unhappy with my DVC membership, and without DVC we probably wouldn't go to Disney as often as we do, so I know my kids are happy with it. But it is very, very difficult to justify the overinflated cost of staying on Disney property with none of the perks.

If I wasn't DVC, there is no way I'd pay to stay on property now. No fast passes, no dining plan, no ME, no EMH. No reason to pay more for these rooms than a Holiday Inn to be frank.
Yup its exactly the reason we have stopped our search for a 2nd contract. We have our 75 points for our blue card benefits(ie AP discount). We will keep it but the only way we will be buying any further points is if we get a current AKV awaiting ROFR that we don't expect to pass. Once that one is taken the search ends. We also were looking at buying Riviera direct as a backup to our AKV ROFR but not anymore

Last edited:
FYI, its now official I just notified Our DVC rep that the Riviera direct contract we were buying is no longer needed. I provided a bit of feedback why. I explained mostly that the "bubble" has burst, the benefits to staying onsite compared to off are almost completely gone. Disney has made it so that it only makes sense to stay off property now.

Same here. I was looking for a less expensive EP side DVC contract to make my wife happy, but going to just rent points especially with so many available. Also, if anything DVC members are captive audience, so I'd expect them to treat once in a lifetimes better to sucker them in.

Last night I found tons of 2+BR 2+BA condos just south of US192 for rent. Emerald Isle, Windsor Hills, etc. $750-900/week during peak pricing such as APR spring break or DEC Christmas week. Even when I add $200 for WDW parking and $400 for rental car, I'm still ahead of a Pop/All Star Movie value resort stay. Imagine that!

For my last Dec '20 trip, we did 13 TS meals in 7 days plus my wife bought whatever in gift shops (when I wasn't looking), so I was happy to pour money into WDW. Going forward if they want me to stay in the bubble and keep giving them money, they have to at least meet me half way.

What if Disney was removing these perks from the casual, once in a lifetime visitor, but instead restored them for DVC only?

You'd pay for them in dues. Not sure the casual buyer would realize it, but they'd all be absolutely dues supported.

ME was supported by the Resorts division, as were the Magic Bands; DVC was already paying for each in dues relative to their utilization. FP is something via Parks, and they'd make DVC pay for system maintenance if only DVC got it. None of those divisions will give DVC these items for free.

Yes. We joined DVC to save on the room cost at the BC. If only the BC room cost is taken into consideration then even using AP room discounts, bounce back options and the occasional email codes the DVC membership remains savings. While all the perks provided are nice, they aren't essential to our vacation experience. I sometimes think that Disney says here is this perk and offers it at an extremely attractive price or combines it with the room and then they take it away to return it for a price. It is just the 'Disney Way'.

$400 for rental car

Non-starter if I am driving on my trip I am not going to WDW. The world is big enough and the primary reason I will go to WDW every year or at minimum every other year is specifically for not dealing with all the extra junk you have to with other trips.

I am interested to see what happens but likely will just be scheduling towncars for our family moving forward. Maybe in like 2030 when they finish the train I will check it out (prior to covid would have a 4-5 hr round trip train ride 5-6 times a month so would feel like I am working lol).

I sometimes think that Disney says here is this perk and offers it at an extremely attractive price or combines it with the room and then they take it away to return it for a price. It is just the 'Disney Way'.

Someone brought this up in another thread as well but what falls in to the being free category to later be charged for?

what if Disney was really doing all of this to encourage people to purchase the real estate option (DVC) so they were doing all (or some) of this to drive bigger sales transactions?

They are in no rush to sell RIV, there is nothing even under construction to be next in line. As is obvious by all the cuts, sales seems to be the least of their concerns right now.

I think Disney will lose lots of potential DVC owners and those "once in a lifetime" visitors that fall in love and book annually. New "lifers" need to replace the old ones that feel that the door is being slammed in their faces - repeatedly.

I'm also DVC (we currently own 6 contracts) and we're probably in a different place than many other members as we are saddened about the loss of FP's, dining and ME even though we rarely used any of those perks. We enjoy the resorts and the "bubble". Our son and DIL live 3000 miles away from us and it is a fun place to meet and we have no desire to stay off property as that defeats the logistical convenience for us. Our plan is to stay a month or more starting in a couple years... I admit, the loss of ME is kind of the last straw even though we know it is illogical to think that way. We plan to drive, so why do we feel saddened?

My first visit to WDW was 1973, so I've seen it all. I understand the financial blow of covid but I think the continued nickel and diming and now loss of direct transportation to/from MCO whether it is bus, Minnie Van or train will have a much bigger impact than Disney expects. Personally, I think it is a miscalculation and will turn off many potential DVC buyers and many vacationers. Just my two cents!

Someone brought this up in another thread as well but what falls in to the being free category to later be charged for?

That is a reference to ME being taken away but it also applies to the Extra Magic Hours, magic bands, luggage service and the Dolphin/Swan have been removed from the internal bus system. For us, while these extras were convenient, they are not the reason we joined DVC.

They are in no rush to sell RIV, there is nothing even under construction to be next in line. As is obvious by all the cuts, sales seems to be the least of their concerns right now.
The Disneyland Tower is being built. Full steam ahead on it. It will sell out fast. As of right now there is very little reason for Disney to build new resorts at WDW. Heck Aulani is only 50% sold. They are getting rid of extras for staying at them. This will drive some people away to cheaper alternatives. If they want to draw more people they needed to add extras, not take them all away. The parks have been opening early for years and they let everyone in, not just WDW resort guests. So will there be 2 lines now. One for WDW resort guests and one for non, I doubt it.

Last edited:
The Disneyland Tower is being built. Full steam ahead on it. It will sell out fast. As of right now there is very little reason for Disney to build new resorts. They are getting rid of extras for staying at them. This will drive some people away.

Sure, and Aulani is still for sale. DVC will always need a WDW property to sell, and their current actions suggest RIV is going to be that property for a loooong time.

DL was in the works for decades, of course they will take it while they can.

What if Disney was removing these perks from the casual, once in a lifetime visitor, but instead restored them for DVC only?
In general, substantive perks don't happen for timeshares, because someone has to pay for them. Either they get folded into the resort operating budgets (in which case they are "free"), or they get paid for out of the timeshare sales marketing budget. In the latter case, by design, the cost of the perk is significantly outweighed by the marginal increase in sales volume. So, it will be an illusion of value, and not something that is actually valuable. That is especially true for ongoing benefits. "Free" transportation or (even worse) regular operating hours in the theme parks costs real money, and would have to be repaid with much higher prices for and/or sales of DVC points.

Honestly, the fact that the Gold DVC AP has lasted as long as it has is surprising, IMO. I suspect that the Parks budget is eating most of that and not charging DVD for most of the lost revenue and/or they believe it's a conversion tool to get more DVC Members to visit more often than they would without the presence of the discount.

Honestly, the fact that the Gold DVC AP has lasted as long as it has is surprising, IMO. I suspect that the Parks budget is eating most of that and not charging DVD for most of the lost revenue and/or they believe it's a conversion tool to get more DVC Members to visit more often than they would without the presence of the discount.

I agree. Maybe the ticketing system in general returns as something completely new. This might be the excuse Disney wanted to get that done. A one year, 11 Day DVC Explorer Pass would not surprise me at all.

May those wishes come true. Without the perks, I believe DVC is now over-valued (for sure!). Unless some magical perks return for DVC owners, I'm afraid I will no longer recommend ownership in DVC. There are far better values out there that will still get you very close to WDW at a fraction of the price.

I think that before COVID Disney realized they had a real problem on their hands with too many guests visiting the parks. (I know, strange problem for a business to have.) Guest satisfaction ratings must have been very low given the number of complaints posted just on these boards. With no new gate on the horizon something needed to be done. Raising park ticket prices seemed to do little to defer the crowds.

I'm no expert, but it appears to me that Disney has changed their model to be based on the principle that less number of people spending more money + less support cast members = same profit. So, I don't think they care about loosing the folks that choose not to visit anymore due to the loss of DME or Free Dining (was that really free?) or any of the other perks that saved people money on their trip. That may be the goal.

I'm no expert, but it appears to me that Disney has changed their model to be based on the principle that less number of people spending more money + less support cast members = same profit. So, I don't think they care about loosing the folks that choose not to visit anymore due to the loss of DME or Free Dining (was that really free?) or any of the other perks that saved people money on their trip. That may be the goal.
I don't believe that. People who were planning to visit will still visit, but will stay offsite and will spend their money other places (like Universal or offsite dining). Renting a car provides a lot more freedom then being trapped inside the bubble.

If they truly wanted to limit attendance to cut CM hours and spend less money to make more money, all they have to do is keep the park reservations system in place. They control how many guests they're allowing each day. That is literally all they have to do.

What they've chosen to do is going to bite them in the rear, I believe. I like staying onsite (obviously or I never would have bought DVC), but if I wasn't DVC, I wouldn't like it enough to continue to do so. Not when I'm spending literally thousands extra (travelling party of 8-10 usually) for benefits and perks that simply do not exist any longer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter