Would you be proud of your son or daughter if they Joined the Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband is one of those brainwashed people. I don't know how or why I'm proud but I guess it's because he isn't my child. He has been in 10 years and been to Iraq twice and getting ready for a third tour and still has all 10 toes and fingers and all his head parts. He is a college educated man who is choosing to stay in. No, he doesn't go around killing babies and maiming elderly people.

Over one million soliders, sailors, marines, and airmen have rotated in and out of Iraq since 2003. Yes the 3000+ casualities are horrible but you take the number compared to number of people roated in and out and you find statiscally that you are more likely to die in an automobile crash than in Iraq.

BTW, lets talk about a little forgotten war in Afghanstain. Is that a just war? A reason for someone to be proud of the child serving in a war? I don't get the idea that some believe that a war can be picked or what reasons are just for war. What would happen if there were not brave, selfless people willing to protect this country and our freedoms?

One last thing and I'm done with this. My husband's family isn't that thrilled or proud of his service. They do not send him cards or goodie boxes when deployed and can hardly be bothered to talk to him on the phone when he calls from 10k miles away. His job, to them, is a job with the name on the shirt and just not good enough. I wonder if they ever wonder why my husband can't be bothered enough to go see his family or pretty much has dropped all contact. I guess I was raised weird. I was raised that family is family to the end and you are proud that they are productive adults doing the American Way as long as nothing illegal is involved. Some of these mighty additudes are going to get a major wake up call some day with out when their child realizes that unconditonal love and support only happens if done they way the parent wants.

There's never really anything to add after you post, Tina.

God bless you and your DH.

Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan
I would not be proud. I would be appalled. It is expected in my family to go to college. You can be anything you want - artist, actor, accountant, but you will not be a soldier.

No one in immediate or extended family is in or was in the military (unless drafted). It would be looked down upon, I consider the service as something that other kids do ... those without the desire for college, without money, without other options. (How many kids of US senators, representatives, CEOs etc are in the services?)

I am grateful to all who serve.

How sad to think this way - when I read this I just couldn't beleive that someone would think like this, it made me sick.

My DH joined the AF after 2 years of college, a very smart man. Joining the military was something he always wanted to do.

So you would look down upon your child if they were a soldier but not an actor? :sad2:

I would not be proud. I would be appalled. It is expected in my family to go to college. You can be anything you want - artist, actor, accountant, but you will not be a soldier.

No one in immediate or extended family is in or was in the military (unless drafted). It would be looked down upon, I consider the service as something that other kids do ... those without the desire for college, without money, without other options. (How many kids of US senators, representatives, CEOs etc are in the services?)

You are grateful to all who serve as long as those men and women are not in your family, is that what you mean?

How fortunate you are that someone else's son or daughter will put a life on the line so that your child can reap the benefits of freedom. I am not offended that you think the military is not for your family, I am offended that you stereotype the people who enlist and serve our country. Must be people who are not smart enough to further their education, or who cannot afford to further it. The armed service is good enough for those people. :sad1:

And I'm grateful that my husband will NEVER have to serve with anyone in your family. And in case you're wondering, this is me looking down on you.

That is a hard question to answer because dh and I are Air Force. I'm a vet and Dh is still active. If my kids wanted to join the Army, I'd probably naturally steer them towards the Air Force because that what we know. As far as joining the military in general, it wouldn't be my choice for them. I'd want them to have a more stable lifestyle, but if they chose it, then I'd be proud.

Of course I would be proud. My political or social issues should never cloud my judgement on my child's choices unless they are doing something illegal or immoral.

My BIL was in Iraq for 4 years. He is doing great now and has all kinds of job offers in his field.

Oh, and BTW: Between DH and me, we have 3 MAs. My father was a physician. We make enough money to live well. And I would STILL BE PROUD!

Dawn

Why is it that some of you assume that if you join the military you are automatically a soldier on the front lines?

There are many, many jobs/fields within the military that are NOT fighting. My uncle was a doctor in the Army for several years. My BIL worked the satellite communications office.

Go to college? All the family I know who went into the service either had college or got it while in the service.

Dawn

Honestly I was relieved when DS started college in 2005. A lot of students from his HS joined the army, etc.

The recruiters still call him and he's going into his third year of college, guess they want to make sure he doesn't change his mind. If they only knew how he really felt about joining.
We have had family in Iraq in recent years serving and I have to say if it were my son
I would be scared if he joined, but it's his life and he can do what he wants. I'm grateful he chose college and is happy.

You don't seem to know much about the military, do you? Yes, there is much more to the military than the front lines. You do know that, like many have stated already, that there are men and women with college degrees or when they get out they enroll in college, right? I have classmates in my classes taking advantage of getting a college education who have retired from serving. They are recareering to become doctors, lawyers, business people, teachers, etc. Smart and what a deal they have through the GI Bill.

(Just so you know the Montgomery GI Bill entitles veterans to VA home loan guarantee and education programs.)

I have a neighbor who retired from the Air Force and was a physician. Another neighbor served in intelligence and is now a high level executive with Aetna. Serving in the military is a good thing and eventually helped advance their careers, I'm sure. I have parents in our Girl Scout troop who are officers, chaplains, aviation techs, one mom works in the AFB finance department, and such. They are hard-working, dedicated, and productive people.

Gotta give a shout out to the folks at Langley AFB, Fort Eustis, and NAS Oceana! :cheer2:

I don't mean to be snarky and I don't want points, but I am genuinely curious to know .... what may I ask do you do for a living?

I can see why being an actor would make one proud. Just look at all the fabulous role models out there. :rolleyes:

Hi Tina! Give Matt my best.

I You can be anything you want - artist, actor, accountant, but you will not be a soldier.

Just curious, if your child decided to enlist at the age of 18, even 20, how would you stop him/her? Disown them?

(How many kids of US senators, representatives, CEOs etc are in the services?)

Not sure how many, but John McCain's son is not only in the military, but he has served in Iraq. I don't think he is the only senator in the US who has a child serving in the military.

I can't imagine that this makes any sense to anyone who has ever attended military academies.

You can be anything you want, as long as I say it is OK. :confused3

I normally don’t post on threads like this but

You can thank the military for allowing you the freedom to post such inane dribble as that

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it- Voltaire

Honestly? I'd be pretty sad if any of my kids decided to join the military. I wouldn't understand why, since it's not like they need the $$ for college (we're paying 100% of college and grad. school costs). I just wouldn't wish the military life on my worst enemy. We are saying goodbye to our military (Army) neighbors this Saturday, as they are reporting to their next duty station. I wonder what kind of a life that is for their kids. They have no stability. They've lived in I don't even know how many different places, changed schools repeatedly, and watched dad get deployed repeatedly. No, I would not be proud or happy if my child joined the military. I'd honestly wonder where I'd gone wrong.

I'd honestly wonder where I'd gone wrong.

Wow! This statement it just sad. Most people have good lives in the military. All seven of my brothers were in the military at some point in their life, one sister was in the army reserves for years, and went full time army a few years ago.

My sister and one of my brothers made a career out of the military. My brother retired after 27 years as a Master Chief Petty officer. The highest rank you can get without a college degree.

My BIL (DH's brother) makes a good living as a financial officer in the Marines.

Sorry guys...I answered the question the OP posted as honestly as I could. My opinion on the matter. Maybe the Army needs a better PR firm.

And I was not posting on professionals - I am aware of the many in the service. I took the question to be "would you be proud of your child if they came home and said they were joining the Army". Period. Not they wanted to go to med school and then work as a surgeon, not they want to build bridges as an engineer. Simply that they wanted to go into the Army as a private.

I know no one in my workplace, family, or friends who was or is in the military. My high school forbade recruiters from coming on campus. My parents made it clear I was not to join the services when I was an engineering student and ROTC wanted me.

Its a little ironic that almost any other profession can be poked at and their supporters do not spew diatribe.

If anyone wants to join the service, great for them. They deserve better pay, and certainly better health care. They deserve not to have their tours extended, or be stop-lossed. No one in the military should be on food stamps.

But I would still be appalled if that was my childs choice. Love them yes, wish they had chosen differently, of course.

[If anyone wants to join the service, great for them. They deserve better pay, and certainly better health care. They deserve not to have their tours extended, or be stop-lossed/QUOTE]

While extended tours and stop-loss can be painful, I understand why they are needed.

Lets say you are being treated for a highly aggressive form of cancer. You go to the Dr, consult with him, go through all the test, planning etc. Then you show up for your surgery and a surgeon you've never met is there. They don't know you, or your medical needs. The reason given to you "well your Dr was rotated out to a different hospital, moved, retired etc".

My dh went to college. He has his Masters Degree! He serves in the Air Force and his family is very proud of him.

We're so glad you're 'grateful to all who serve' even if they're people you look down on.

LoveBWVVER said:
Honestly? I'd be pretty sad if any of my kids decided to join the military. I wouldn't understand why, since it's not like they need the $$ for college (we're paying 100% of college and grad. school costs). I just wouldn't wish the military life on my worst enemy. We are saying goodbye to our military (Army) neighbors this Saturday, as they are reporting to their next duty station. I wonder what kind of a life that is for their kids. They have no stability. They've lived in I don't even know how many different places, changed schools repeatedly, and watched dad get deployed repeatedly. No, I would not be proud or happy if my child joined the military. I'd honestly wonder where I'd gone wrong.

Yeah, my kids are complete messes. They've lived all over the US and Egypt. They're on their way to Belgium this summer. Plus, their POS Dad goes on deployments so that people like you can live free.:rolleyes:

It's amazing that those lowlife scum neighbors of yours could afford to live near your perfect self! I hope you didn't let your kids spend too much time
with them. That military stupidity might be contagious.

My dh went to college. He has his Masters Degree! He serves in the Air Force and his family is very proud of him.

We're so glad you're 'grateful to all who serve' even if they're people you look down on.

Yeah, my kids are complete messes. They've lived all over the US and Egypt. They're on their way to Belgium this summer. Plus, their POS Dad goes on deployments so that people like you can live free.:rolleyes:

It's amazing that those lowlife scum neighbors of yours could afford to live near your perfect self! I hope you didn't let your kids spend too much time
with them. That military stupidity might be contagious.

Don't let *******s get to you sweetie.:hug: I know that myself and AT LEAST 99% of the DIS are so proud of your husband and those that selflessly protect our country.:hug: Also, of the sacrifice YOU make to our country.....I know it can't be easy to be a military wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter