Would you be interested.....

SimonV

Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'
In a special discount coupon book for everything in central Florida?

This is something we're looking to add to the Brit's Guide for 2003. Basically, it is a massive book of coupons - usually available only by mail order to Florida residents - which you buy for $35 and then use at a vast array of attractions, hotels, shops, restaurants and other outlets throughout central Florida. Although $35 may seem a bit much, you would save that with two meals out, with savings of almost $20 a time. And that's before you use the coupons at nearly all the main attractions (but not Disney), etc.

We're looking to set up a collection and payment point at one of the local supermarkets specifically for Brit's Guide readers. Do you think this is something you'd buy into?? (We wouldn't be making any money on it, BTW, but a small part of the cost goes as a donation to the local Red Cross organisation)

Thanks for all your thoughts,

Simon

I've always felt uncomfortable using discount coupons in any situation, although I do acknowledge that I'm probably a bit odd!

I've always found that discount voucher books in one form or another are thrown at you from all angles in Orlando. We had 3 in our hotel room! You seem to able to pick them up all over the place.

Having said that we never actually used any of them! (apart from the ones you get from the Ponderosa with your mints :) ).

I think if you are the sort who eats out at a variety of places during your trip then it may be worth while. Otherwise I would be worried that I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the savings.

Excellent idea, Simon.

We (I) always use coupons wherever I can. I spend some time picking out the best deals when we arrive ( How sad am I!!!!!) and am an avid collector of coupon books (Now you can see how sad).

I bring some of the better ones back (SeeOrlando, BestRead Guide, Welcome Maps) to send to my guests before the fly out to Florida, so they have an idea of what to expect and of course the maps are always useful.

Sounds a good idea.

If its anything like the ENTERTAINMENT ORLANDO book my only criticism is many of the restaurants are away from the main tourist areas, that said we've dined out with several Orlando locals and they all pull their Entertainment cards and vouchers out at every opertunity :D

Me and DH say yes please Simon. We use the coupon books and have saved a fortune in the past.

Bring it on.:Pinkbounc

Simon, would there be any way of checking what discounts are available before we decide whether to buy the discount book? A 'Brit's Guide Website' perhaps? Would it be possible to buy the discount book in advance, so we wouldn't have to make a special journey to the right supermarket when we arrived in Orlando? How would the discounts compare with the Entertainment Book? In general, how long would the discounts be valid for? If it was for more than 12 months that would help visitors from the UK who might visit Orlando every other year.

In principle I would be very interested as I think these kind of schemes help you to avoid the 'tourist prices' that you sometimes find around Orlando. Whether I actually bought the discount book would, of course, depend on what discounts were available (and how long before they expired).

BTW Simon, how's the DLP book coming along?

Regards

Rob

........... I'm not sure. As you have to pay $35 up front, it would depend on the quality of the places offering the discounts, e.g. some of the discount books offer coupons for rather obscure restaurants and we don't like taking chances with food so prefer to go to places that have been recommended/well known and are convenient to access.

hi, I think it sounds a great idea. I think as your book is so focused on us brits i would hope the discounts would reflect our needs.

good luck with it.

cool chris.

Simon

I guess it comes down to the fact that its a great idea if your one of the people that use coupons.

We certainly do where possible, but tend to use the coupons for the places we would normally go to anyway.

However, I feel Rob has a good point. I wouldn't be overly impressed if I bought one and found all places off the beaten track.

Regards

Dazzle

I also agree with Rob, much of it depends on the actual; places on offer. Because of this I think it wou;ld be of limited value to first time visitors as I think it un;likely they would shell out unless they knew the location of the various establishments. It may get better uptake from regulars who know as least some of the places that feature. Afterall if you know for certain , for example, that you would eat once at Bahama Breeze on I-Drive and once at the Rainforest Cafe in DTD and both those restaurants included a $20 off coupon then it's a "free option" for the balance of the book. If there aren't any places that I was DEFINATELY going to visit then it's unlikely I'd pay out the money on a chance I'd use the vouchers and alter my plans. I think it could be one of those plans that looks good on paper, but in practice would get a limited take up.

I have to say, like others, I would want to know what the discounts were for before, but I suppose you could easily print them in the Brits Guide. BTW Simon, I tried using the Alamo discount in the 2002 Guide and I the quote they gave me was ludicrously high, so I'm yet to be convinced about some discounts.

I'd be interested in principle definately...but based on two things.

Knowing what coupons could be used where and for what, and also, I'm with Rob thinking I'd prefer to buy in advance - to be honest, it's unlikely that I would go out of my way to a store just to buy that.

Oh, and the expiry date of the coupons...guess that's three things, hehehe.

Penny :)

Wow, you're good Dave (fatman) and Rob. I didn't think anyone else knew about the Entertainment Book! But yes, you've guesed, it, that's what it is, and Dave (fm) has posted the ideal link to check it out. To give you an idea, there are currently 103 restaurant deals in the book and, as Dave says, many are out of the main tourist area. However, the ones that ARE in the areas like I-Drive and Lake Buena Vista are:

Amigo’s – value $9
Jungle Jim’s – value $9
Pebbles – value $15
Mark II Dinner Theater – value $15
Waffle House – value 1 breakfast sandwich
Le Jardin – value $22
Trattoria (Portofino Bay Hotel) – value $16
Far Pavilion – value $12
Sharky & Jack’s (Universal Blvd) – value $15
Starlight Grille (Sheraton Studio City Hotel) – value $18
International Lighthouse Lobster Feast – value $18
Ocean Grill – value $15
Pirates Dinner Adventure – value $15
Shalimar Tandoor – value $17
Shogun Steakhouse – value $19
Sleuths Dinner Show – value $15
Adobe Gilas (The Pointe) – value $9
Cafe Gauguin – value $20
Café Matisse – value $22
Cargo Bay Bar & Grill – value $19
Everglades (Rosen Center Hotel) – value $30
Jack’s Place (Rosen Plaza Hotel) – value $28
Lulu’s (The Pointe) – value $15
Pineapple Grill – value $30
Arthur’s 27 (Wyndham Palace Hotel) – value $30
India Palace – value $10

And I think you'd have to agree, that's a pretty decent list of 'tourist' discounts! (And Arthur's 27, Everglades, Jack's Place, Adobe Gilas, Lulu's, Jungle Jim's, Pebbles, Far Pavilion, Shogun, Ocean Grill, Sleauths, Trattoria and Le Jardin are all places I would personally endorse for a good meal).

Then there are more than 5,000 hotel offers, 52 for shopping and services, 115 sports and leisure and many more. But check out Dave's link and see what you think. The deal we're looking to set up would be for the 2003 edition, which should have even more value to it.

Simon

I guess I need to get out more :), unfortunately for me there is only one place there that I could guarantee I would go to. On that showing I wouldn't buy myself.

I notice that there are 3 Indian Restuarants on the list - so you can count me in now :cool: :cool:

So, if it's the Entertainment book, would discounts be available for the Universal Hotels? I'd buy it for those - the Entertainment rates are better than I can get as a Universal Annual Passholder.

As its the Entertainment book then it is valid for the hotel discounts. I have got one for the past 2 years and saved a bundle. Great idea.
Wendy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter