Would Genie+ be worth it for us?

TeamSy

DIS Veteran
This is our first time going since the pandemic and Genie+. The day we arrive we always go to a park half day. In the past it's usually been Hollywood, as we tend to often stay at BC/YC/BW/Swan, but this time we are staying at Contemporary so it will be Magic Kingdom. Obviously in the past we would secure our 3 FP+ in advance, but now we will be in the air when it is time to make our first Genie+ selection at 7am (we don't land until just before 9). We plan on getting to the park around 11ish (and it closes @ 6 for the halloween party, which is fine since we will likely be tired by then anyway). But is Genie+ a waste for that day if I can't start making my first selection until around 9, or do you think I could still get some decent times and make it worthwhile until 6? I think we would be most interested in trying for Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and things on that side of the park (nothing in Fantasyland as we plan on doing that a different day)???

This is our first time going since the pandemic and Genie+. The day we arrive we always go to a park half day. In the past it's usually been Hollywood, as we tend to often stay at BC/YC/BW/Swan, but this time we are staying at Contemporary so it will be Magic Kingdom. Obviously in the past we would secure our 3 FP+ in advance, but now we will be in the air when it is time to make our first Genie+ selection at 7am (we don't land until just before 9). We plan on getting to the park around 11ish (and it closes @ 6 for the halloween party, which is fine since we will likely be tired by then anyway). But is Genie+ a waste for that day if I can't start making my first selection until around 9, or do you think I could still get some decent times and make it worthwhile until 6? I think we would be most interested in trying for Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and things on that side of the park (nothing in Fantasyland as we plan on doing that a different day)???
Replying as we are wondering the same! We'll arrive about 3pm so I'm thinking it's not worth it, and that we can do some of the lower line attractions on arrival day, watch the parades and shows etc and then get Genie+ for our full day in MK (when we'll also rope drop with early entry). But I am keen to hear other peoples takes!

I'm generally for doing Genie+ in most situations as I'd rather save time than a small amount of money. I would get it in both of these situations. Let's say on the 11 a.m. arrival day the park opens at 9 a.m. like it does today. You're not missing out on anything really. Whether you book at 7 a.m. or at 8:45 a.m., either way you can book your second lightning lane at 11 a.m. I'm guessing you would still be able to enter the park with a Jungle Cruise lightning lane and one other lightning lane.

In the 3 p.m. arrival you can stack lightning lanes up for the late arrival. You'd have three or four ready to go by the time you arrive.

Now if you don't mind a partial day focusing on less popular attractions then you certainly can skip Genie+. Personally I would get it though.

If you'll be in the air, I'd splurge for wifi on the plane and make your first selection at 7. I'd probably do it, but that's just me. :)

Do you have a trusted friend or family member who would log in to your account at 6:50 to buy G+ and then grab Jungle Cruise right at 7am? That's what I'd be doing if I were in your position. Then you are neither splurging for the wifi nor waiting until 9 to make your first selection.

That said, I think you'd still get good benefit out of G+ if you weren't booking until 9am. Your JC reservation will be late in the day, but it won't put you too far behind everyone else who is making second reservations at 11am.

So if I'm in your shoes, likely yes, I would. We have done G+ for shorter days/late arrivals and it's sort of a nice stress free day to have rides booked before you even get in the park. Only being in MK from 11a-6p leaves you a short window so you'd have to make sure you book times that stick to that schedule (sometimes G+ shows you one time but after you select it, it may give you a different time, that's always a bummer w/ G+) but if you WiFi on the plane, you could have two rides booked by 11am and as many G+ choices that there are in MK, you could easily secure 5 rides via G+. There won't be any late G+ options anyway since there's a party.

Really, IMO, I think since MK has so many rides, it's really the only park that still has G+ ride offerings later in the day so for that reason alone, I usually do G+ in MK.

Now not having ever used it, I would do some at home practice runs to make sure you're familiar with it and have your faves pinned. But only you can decide if it's truly worth it but I always feel like if we can bypass a few lines, then it's done the job.

If you'll be in the air, I'd splurge for wifi on the plane and make your first selection at 7. I'd probably do it, but that's just me. :)

Yes that would def be ideal!!! Unfortunately our flight is the only one listed for the whole day that does NOT have in flight Wi-Fi!!!!

Do you have a trusted friend or family member who would log in to your account at 6:50 to buy G+ and then grab Jungle Cruise right at 7am? That's what I'd be doing if I were in your position. Then you are neither splurging for the wifi nor waiting until 9 to make your first selection.

That said, I think you'd still get good benefit out of G+ if you weren't booking until 9am. Your JC reservation will be late in the day, but it won't put you too far behind everyone else who is making second reservations at 11am.

That’s a good idea!! I don’t know who I could convince to wake up then but worth a shot haha!

Yes I was thinking it would *probably* be worth it I just want sure since we would be done at 6! So between a bit of a late start and an early stop it felt unknown since it’s so new to us. But I also wasn’t taking into account you can book every 2 hours. I also didn’t know how late in the day they go by then, since again by 6pm we’d be done!

At 9 AM you should have lots of availability for MK to start stacking rides. The 6 PM part will certainly decrease your number of rides.

It seems to me that Genie Plus would be a good tool to help you get the most out of your time (11 AM to 6 PM) and ride the most rides but it's your judgement call whether you want to spend money on it for half a day. I probably would...

Thank you all for the replies! It sounds like it would still be a good option for us! Appreciate it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter