Would AP make sense?

JennysSeven

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking a rather last-minute trip to WDW for 7 days in early March. We aren't planning to stay on site, primarily because not much is available within our budget. We'll eat in the parks, and we'll be parking a rental car at a park each day.

We also have an already-booked package for 10 days in December for our family of 9, staying on-site with DDP. We won't need parking for that trip, but we will get Memory Maker. We will have our kids with us so we will also buy souvenirs, do things like BBB, etc.

So, would it make any sense at all to go ahead and get APs for my husband and myself? How would that work with a package? Does the AP discount on food, etc. apply only to the two of us, or would that apply to food we ordered for our family? (We'd drop DDP and pay out of pocket if that worked better for us.) I'm just trying to figure out if we're missing anything that might save us a some money, and I'm not familiar with APs at all, other than the tiny bit of info on the WDW site.

Thanks!!

Did you call and ask what AP room rates are still available for your trip in March? You might want to see if there are any discounts that make it more affordable to stay onsite.

Now, if you are staying offsite and going to the parks all seven days, that would save you about $140, plus you would get Photopass for free. (Saving $150)

Just based on the number of days you plan to be at WDW for the March and December trip, the best money sense would be to get APs for you both. This means you would need to change your package to a ticketless package if you want to keep the DDP and purchase the tickets separately for anyone staying in the same room. As long as the person with the AP pays then the discount is applied, with the presentation of your AP and ID. Also, once room discounts for AP are released for the time frame of your trip, if available, you can see if you can apply them.

Also, unless the rules have changed, and AP holder can have the AP discount applied to two additional rooms as long as the AP holder is using one of the three. More money saved.

It's definitely a no-brainer for you and your husband. Ticket prices alone would make it worthwhile, but add in potential room discounts, food and merchandise discounts, free parking and Memory Maker, and it's a slam dunk.

You would have to change the December trip to a room-only reservation and buy tickets for the kids. You could add dining if you find you would still want it, as a ticketless package, but your AP food discounts could well be a better deal.

Thank you! We're going to go with the annual passes.
We did call this morning and were able to get rooms with the discount, so we're staying on-site after all. Thanks for helping me think through this...I just had no idea how it would work with a package when some of us had tickets already and some didn't. It does look like it will save us a decent amount of money to go this route.

The only way it wouldn't make sense is if your December package was free dining (and therefore a ticket purchase is required.)

You might look into Tables in Wonderland... although with the current AP discounts on food, it's harder to justify. Might be worth it due to Dec though, since the discount will be gone by then. (Unless they extend it!)

We are definitely considering Tables in Wonderland. It appears (in my very limited research so far) that TiW covers more locations and at a higher percentage off than the AP food discounts. That looks like it will save us enough to drop the dining plan and pay out of pocket. I would be extremely surprised if free dining became available for our dates (12/6-12/15) so I'm not really factoring in that possibility.

The one risk you run is the Disney math becomes a real issue. We were in a similar spot when we went in November with also planning a June trip. We went ahead and got the annual pass which saved us the cost of the photopass, got us the discounts at the shops and the expanded discounts at many of the restaurants (I love me some De-Luxe burger). For our June trip we were able to get a great AP rate so all and all I have seen a lot of value in having it.

Where the AP becomes dangerous is the fact that the AP rates sure make quick trips really appealing. Just this last weekend we did a 3 day at AKL at a fantastic rate and next month for my birthday myself and DW will be enjoying a quick 3 day escape at WL. If you get the AP you just may find yourself looking for cheap airfare and trying to find ways to do short getaways, at least that is how the AP is costing us.

LOL I would love to take the risk of Disney math becoming an issue!! Unfortunately it probably won't be for us, because we're only getting the APs for hubby and myself and we have 7 kids at home. Cheap airfare is one thing, but childcare costs while we are gone is another thing entirely!

I just got my AP. Seemed to make sense for us considering we are staying off property and don't have the meal plan.

I just got an AP as well. The free memory maker, plus the AP room discount, nearly made up for the cost of upgrading just for this trip... And the discounts are great too (this past trip I got nice discounts on Disney merchandise which includes Krispie treats, some Disney food places, and even things like Pandora and Havianas at Disney Springs).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter