Working on my onboard budget.

Mom24Princesses

DIS Veteran
I always forget something. It’s been awhile since we sailed DCL and things change. I don’t want surprises.

Do crew members really welcome US cash?
I know about the room service tips and alway have left over small bills.

I know that bar drinks have a gratuity added automatically. Is it really necessary to tip on top of that? Would a server/bartender welcome US cash? Or just add it on the slip you sign. I’ve read about people who hang out in the same part of the ship everyday and develop a relationship with a server/bartender. I don’t think we will be doing that.

US cash???
Jamaica
Grand Cayman

I’m using DGC from Target/Red Card deals and I want to have enough but not too too much left over as that money would be Disney Only. But the deals are too good to pass up. I got 3 $360 ($1080) cards last night for $998.50!

I always forget something. It’s been awhile since we sailed DCL and things change. I don’t want surprises.

Do crew members really welcome US cash?
I know about the room service tips and alway have left over small bills.

I know that bar drinks have a gratuity added automatically. Is it really necessary to tip on top of that? Would a server/bartender welcome US cash? Or just add it on the slip you sign. I’ve read about people who hang out in the same part of the ship everyday and develop a relationship with a server/bartender. I don’t think we will be doing that.

US cash???
Jamaica
Grand Cayman

I’m using DGC from Target/Red Card deals and I want to have enough but not too too much left over as that money would be Disney Only. But the deals are too good to pass up. I got 3 $360 ($1080) cards last night for $998.50!
Yes, US cash is welcomed.

Beverage purchases have a 15% auto gratuity. This is pooled to be shared by all beverage servers and bartenders onboard. Any additional tip (if you wish to) will go only to the person you tip. You can add it to the bill, or tip in cash.

Make sure you have cash to tip any excursion workers. There is a misconception that people can apply a tip to their onboard account, but you cannot. The 1st time we cruised, I felt like a heel because I had no way to tip the guys taking us parasailing.

Since as shmoo said the autogratuity is only 15% and is pooled, I like to give something extra, but I usually write it in since it is just easier than carrying cash. On shore excursions US cash is definitely welcomed.

Figuring out onboard spending isn't too terrible.
I know what my auto gratuities are. I have an idea of what I typically provide in way of additional gratuities to those, and those I make sure are added to my onboard account.
I know what excursions I plan on taking (if any).
Same with any dining (Palo) and any beverage tastings (plus tip).
We don't do room service, but again, an easy estimate.

We tip extra on drinks from servers if they are quick and the drinks haven't melted. They often will take multiple orders, go have them filled, then return. If you are the last person they drop off to, your frozen beverage will be less so. NOW, we will tip the bar keep if we go see them. They DO rotate locations and will also be on Castaway Cay. Those folks can do a great job remembering who you are and what you like to drink. I don't mind tipping for that service.

I use cash tips for the following persons:
Port Canaveral bag porters at drop off. Again if we use them at disembarkation.
Port Excursions.

You could add in Room Service if that's your thing.

Am I missing anyone else who is better with a cash tip? I know people debate the charging your account vs. cash in envelopes for your serving and house keeping teams. But honestly, if they get cash, they have to wait in line to deposit it with their purser when they could be resting or preparing for the next group of guests.

Make sure you have cash to tip any excursion workers. There is a misconception that people can apply a tip to their onboard account, but you cannot. The 1st time we cruised, I felt like a heel because I had no way to tip the guys taking us parasailing.

Oh shoot! I'm glad I read this. We're going on a 3 night on the Dream this weekend, and have the jetski excursion scheduled for Castaway Cay. I had no idea that you need to bring extra $$ for a tip!

We always bring ones and fives for room service tips -- they love receiving the cash. Also bring small bills to tip your excursion driver and/or guide on land.

We tip extra on drinks from servers if they are quick and the drinks haven't melted. They often will take multiple orders, go have them filled, then return. If you are the last person they drop off to, your frozen beverage will be less so. NOW, we will tip the bar keep if we go see them. They DO rotate locations and will also be on Castaway Cay. Those folks can do a great job remembering who you are and what you like to drink. I don't mind tipping for that service.
I enjoy doing Bingo. I usually get my beer mug filled at the beginning of the session. If my wife comes as well, she may get some frozen drink. I will add add some amount to the bill on top of the 15 (18) % tip that DCL adds. I find that after one or two sessions, the serve make sure to check on me and take my order.

Just want to clarify, it's handy to have the cash for a tip on excursions, but it's not required to tip.

True. I always like to tip if we've had a great experience and a good guide, but they don't seem to expect it overall. And I like having extra cash to tip a good bartender that I get to know, and our room steward in the end.

Since as shmoo said the autogratuity is only 15% and is pooled, I like to give something extra, but I usually write it in since it is just easier than carrying cash. On shore excursions US cash is definitely welcomed.
If it is added to the “check” does it go to that server or to the “pool”?

If it is added to the “check” does it go to that server or to the “pool”?
Server. I also asked at our mixology class if I could “write in” a tip, and the bartender said yes and gave me a zero dollar receipt to add gratuity too, just in case anyone else is wondering how that works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!