WONDERful Alaska - July 18, 2016

Hello-
Just joined this thread. This is our 8th Cruise, but our first to Alaska.
We are traveling with our daughter (6), our son (14) and two of his friends (both 14).

Is this the main thread for this cruise? There is usually a lot more 'chatter' on the cruise threads?

Lynn,
Yes, this is it for this thread. Unfortunately most of the chatter has moved to other websites since Disboards has implemented some new (late 2014) rules. I know I've been focusing my time in alternate locations.

Thanks!

Is anyone else coming in to Vancouver the day before? We're still figuring out specific flight times, but it's looking like we might fly in the afternoon before the cruise. If we do fly in the day before, any suggestions for where to go for the evening or dinner? We'll have two kindergarteners with us, so I need to start looking for an appropriate place for them to run around/play after being cooped up in the airport and plane all day.

Yeah, we're flying in a day early, but land around 7pm. We'll probably head straight to the hotel and miss out on all that Vancouver has to offer. I've heard that the city has some very family friendly activities, but I have not explored them myself. Hopefully someone can offer up some great ideas for entertaining the kiddos.

Question for those of you who have cruised on the Wonder before: Do you know if there is there room under the bed to store suitcases?

Question for those of you who have cruised on the Wonder before: Do you know if there is there room under the bed to store suitcases?

It's been a while since we were on the Wonder but, if I remember correctly, we stowed our luggage under the bed. I know for sure we did on the Magic, Fantasy, and Dream, so I would assume it would be the same on Wonder.

Here's a photo of our room on the Magic where you can see our suitcase under the bed.

4ff1b182-306f-46fc-9b9a-33e14b984db8.jpg

Last edited:
As we close in on the date to book excursions, what is everyone planning on doing in the ports? We're looking at the sled dog-related excursions, maybe zip lining, taking the mountain trail by 4x4, or the duck boat tour. We'll probably settle in on 2 of these activities. Anyone else looking at these? What do you plan to do at each stop?

If you've already done the Alaska cruise, which excursions do you recommend? Is there one you wouldn't miss if you had one chance to visit Alaska?

This is the cruise my Dad, sisters and I are doing! Our first Disney cruise and first cruise in general! I can't believe it's less than 3 months away now.

We already have a couple outside-Disney excursions booked since we wanted to have something in case what we want through Disney isn't available. Our window for booking those opens Wednesday. So as of now what we have booked is the White Pass train in Skagway and a wildlife tour in Ketchikan (we really want to see bears!) Still undecided on Juneau, but almost definitely a trip to Mendenhall Glacier and maybe ziplining. We've mentioned whale watching, but are uncertain.

This is the cruise my Dad, sisters and I are doing! Our first Disney cruise and first cruise in general! I can't believe it's less than 3 months away now.

We already have a couple outside-Disney excursions booked since we wanted to have something in case what we want through Disney isn't available. Our window for booking those opens Wednesday. So as of now what we have booked is the White Pass train in Skagway and a wildlife tour in Ketchikan (we really want to see bears!) Still undecided on Juneau, but almost definitely a trip to Mendenhall Glacier and maybe ziplining. We've mentioned whale watching, but are uncertain.

Awesome! Sounds like you guys are ready for a great time. Hopefully you enjoy the cruising experience. We're doing a dog sled excursion in Juneau and zip lining in Skagway. It should be lots of fun any way you slice it.

Do you guys have any questions about Disney cruising that the group can try to answer? Have you thought about joining a Fish Extender group?

Awesome! Sounds like you guys are ready for a great time. Hopefully you enjoy the cruising experience. We're doing a dog sled excursion in Juneau and zip lining in Skagway. It should be lots of fun any way you slice it.

Do you guys have any questions about Disney cruising that the group can try to answer? Have you thought about joining a Fish Extender group?
We are definitely looking forward to it! It will be a completely different experience for us. We've heard amazing things about the Disney cruises so hopefully we'll enjoy it. :) The dog sledding and ziplining sound fun!

I will definitely post questions if we come up with any as it gets closer. :thumbsup2 I hadn't thought about a Fish Extender group, but it's something to consider.

Just a friendly reminder that, now that we're under 75 days away from embarkation, everyone should be able to register for adult dining, spa treatments, and, my personal favorite, shore excursions! Get those activities booked!

When you're done, share what you signed up for. Perhaps we're on the same port adventures? And, if this isn't your first trip to Alaska, you can provide some do's and don'ts about the excursions!

Also, does anyone have any interest in getting kids connected pre-cruise? On previous cruises my kids have texted or Instagrammed with others their age leading up to the cruise & then had ready-made groups of friends to hang out with once on board. Anyone have any interest?

Our kids are a little young for texting/Instagramming (one 4.5, one 5), but if there are other kids interested, I bet they'd like to connect and have some buddies. Not sure how to set that up for their age group... Digital pen pals through parents?

Our kids are a little young for texting/Instagramming (one 4.5, one 5), but if there are other kids interested, I bet they'd like to connect and have some buddies. Not sure how to set that up for their age group... Digital pen pals through parents?

In that age range I definitely think communication would need to go through parents. I wouldn't have been comfortable with my 5 year old having unsupervised communication with someone.

Per a traveler who is currently on the Alaskan cruise, the Platinum Castaways received a burlap backpack and stainless steel travel mug as their stateroom gifts. Gold received the backpack. I'm still trying to track down Silver and Concierge gifts.

UPDATE: the same traveler said that Silver gets this bag as well. My guess is that the gold stitching is Silver for Silver castaways. But, that's a total guess.

13a05a7f-9b25-46f6-bada-9f5cc1c5f15f.jpg

Last edited:
We are. Our flight lands at like 9:30 that night, so we don't get to site see or anything.

Amy, most of the conversation about this sailing has moved to another website. I'm prohibited from sharing the URL due to the rules in play on this site. Send me a PM and we can chat further about the FE plan. You'll need to post a few more messages first though!

Amy, most of the conversation about this sailing has moved to another website. I'm prohibited from sharing the URL due to the rules in play on this site. Send me a PM and we can chat further about the FE plan. You'll need to post a few more messages first though!
Can't figure how to msg you on this board. Definitely interested in joining. What's the best way to connect.

Hello, is there a way for us to get connected to understand how many people would like to participate and coordinate, the other cruises seem to have a secondary link.
Thoughts?::MickeyMo

Hello, is there a way for us to get connected to understand how many people would like to participate and coordinate, the other cruises seem to have a secondary link.
Thoughts?::MickeyMo

@OCKRISTEN We've moved most of the discuss to another site & I am prohibited from listing it here. The group on the other site has been subsequently closed, but there may be a way for me to send you a link somehow. I'm not sure, but it might be possible. I think if I get your email address I can add you directly.

Can't figure how to msg you on this board. Definitely interested in joining. What's the best way to connect.

You have to have a certain number of posts before you can send a message. I think it's 10 total posts. Then you can click on my profile and "Start a Conversation" will be on of the options. From there we can connect via PM and get you squared away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter