Wonder West Coast B2B May 2014 Concierge - COMPLETED!

I know, right?! It was a crazy dream come true ... the DCL site had most fall cruises in a Cat T priced incorrectly. They were cheaper than the Vs. The pricing error was 2240$ per adult on a 7 night Fantasy. (The Cat Vs started at 2296$ per adult). After maybe 2 hours, they realized their mistake and they increased the price to $3080 per adult. Our two week B2B was around 9200$ total. Sometimes a week can cost almost that much! Most September to December cruises were priced this way, with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas. My TA got a pricing error cruise too!

If you can upgrade to the Walt, go for it! It's never been available for upgrades when we've gone.

Time to Pack

Only 11 more days to go, and I began the SERIOUS packing decision-making today. I’ve decided to live in capris and t-shirts at Disneyland, Maxi Dresses for the first few days of the cruise (while we’re still in warmer climes), a nice pair of colored capris and a fancier top for the Lasseter Family Winery tour, and capris or jeans with t-shirts and cardigans to ward off the chill as we cruise further north. Still a few more days until we have any type of reliable weather forecast, so when we actually put clothes into suitcases next weekend, there may be last minute changes. The guys are easy to pack for – shorts, t-shirts, polos for dinners, khaki pants, and a light jacket. Swimsuits, pajamas, socks, underwear, a variety of shoes for different occasions, and we’re all set! I also packed two cocktail dresses for our dinners at Palo. DH will wear a suit and tie.

We finished FE gifts last weekend, and are giving two different gifts. I will post photos when we get back, just so we don’t spoil the surprise if any of our FE group are reading along. One is a unique “from Wyoming” gift, and the other is a cute idea I got from Pinterest that was super easy.:flower3:

A couple of days ago, Pirates of the Caribbean was drained, and I hear the walls were going up in the Blue Bayou. A bit disappointing, but we decided to cancel our lunch reservations and eat at Café Orleans instead. Since next year is Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary, we will probably have to go back for a short trip, and we’ll make sure to eat there at that time. Such a shame we’ll have to visit again!!:lmao:

Best news of the week for DS – Space Mountain is going to be open after all! He’s decided to face his fear of upside-down roller coasters and give California Screamin’ a whirl. I hope he really loves it, but our expectation of him is that he should try everything once, and if he really hates it, we won’t pressure him to go again. Of course, if his other option is to take his little cousin on a kiddie ride, he might choose the coaster all day long.:rotfl2:

I am going back and re-reading sections of my guidebooks for DCL and Disneyland. An unofficial guide to Disneyland just came out last month, so it’s been fun looking through that. My "ah-ha" moment of the week is that Jungle Cruise is supposed to be pretty awesome at night. I have to say, of my many many rides on Jungle Cruise, I don't think we've ever ridden after dark. Hmmm... so we might give that a whirl. I’ve been loading the kindle with a few selections, so I’m ready for relaxation time on the verandah – Woo Hoo!:cheer2:

Next Up: Disneyland Day 1 (typing this just gave me butterflies in my stomach!)

I just started following along. My girlfriend and I are doing a B2B with the 5 night repositioning and the first Alaskan cruise 9 night. I read all your posts and was wondering what you meant by getting a transfer in Vancouver at 4 am?? Doesn't the ship dock around 7? Only a couple weeks!

I just started following along. My girlfriend and I are doing a B2B with the 5 night repositioning and the first Alaskan cruise 9 night. I read all your posts and was wondering what you meant by getting a transfer in Vancouver at 4 am?? Doesn't the ship dock around 7? Only a couple weeks!

Sorry for the confusion Sheldon- we are staying Saturday night in Vancouver. The early wake up call is for our flight back to Denver on Sunday morning. 10 days for us now - SINGLE DIGIT DANCE tomorrow! (I remember how excited I was about the DOUBLE DIGIT DANCE...) You are going to have an awesome vacation - 14 days - WOW! I can only dream that someday I'll be able to do the same. :cool1: See you on the ship!

Just a very quick update:

We received a call from shoreside concierge a few days ago - the Lasseter Winery tour has been cancelled. Such a disappointment. We were really looking forward to it. So we booked instead on a winery tour visiting two wineries in Sonoma - The Nicholson Ranch Winery and Viansa Winery and Italian Marketplace. With time for lunch on our own in Sonoma. Both look very nice, with several award-winning wines and tasting rooms. Fingers crossed it is a great experience. We've never been to wine country, so it will be fun.

Also - it is going to be HOT like you wouldn't believe while we are in Disneyland Wednesday - Friday. Floating around 100 degrees. I hope it keeps the crowds a little lower so that we can get more done in the morning hours. I called the Grand Californian and reserved a poolside cabana for Friday afternoon. I think it will be fun and relaxing for everyone, and the kids can play in the pool while we sit in the shade with icy drinks. I imagine we'll be sick of fighting the heat at that point.

The majority of the packing was completed yesterday. Honestly, it was a FUN Mother's Day to get everything in suitcases. So close now. Just have to tie up a few loose ends at work, and we're OFF!!!

How exciting! We are locals to the DLR area and know you're going to have an awesome time! Stay cool! So excited for you as your cruise is soooo close now! Enjoy and have an spectacular time!!!

Joining in from just south of you! A cruise and trip to DL sounds just like the thing during this snowstorm!

BTW, I ate at Napa Rose Chef's Counter last month and I let the chef choose my meal. It's the same price as the Vitner's menu and was a lot of fun!

Jill in CO

How exciting! We are locals to the DLR area and know you're going to have an awesome time! Stay cool! So excited for you as your cruise is soooo close now! Enjoy and have an spectacular time!!!

Thank you so much - we are really looking forward to it! I'm going to make myself leave the parks for a couple hours in the afternoon to keep my sanity in the heat.
Joining in from just south of you! A cruise and trip to DL sounds just like the thing during this snowstorm!

BTW, I ate at Napa Rose Chef's Counter last month and I let the chef choose my meal. It's the same price as the Vitner's menu and was a lot of fun!

Jill in CO

Welcome back Jill! I have been waiting for you to start your trip report, but you've been a busy lady! I am glad you had a good time at the Chef's Counter - we are planning to let the Chef choose for us as well. REALLY looking forward to it!

As Jill mentioned, we have had quite a snowstorm here in Wyoming and Colorado. It has finally stopped, after dumping 12 inches on us in Wyoming. Here is a photo borrowed from a friend of mine of her snow covered patio furniture yesterday, after about 9 inches had fallen. It was blowing so much this morning that I couldn't get a good picture. Mother Nature is having great fun with us this year - a week ago, it was 80 degrees and we had the air conditioning on in the house. This morning, back to the fireplace. I think I'll be in shock when I step off the plane in Orange County on Wednesday! :rotfl2:
SnowyBackPorch051214_zps9ecf463c.jpg

Coming to you from just a few miles from the park. It is hot hot hot!

You should have a great time. The schools are still in session so hopefully the parks won't be too crowded.

Jill is already on Day 4 of her TR so she is really cruising along.

Coming to you from just a few miles from the park. It is hot hot hot!

You should have a great time. The schools are still in session so hopefully the parks won't be too crowded.

Jill is already on Day 4 of her TR so she is really cruising along.

I just found Jill's trip report this afternoon. I'm so excited to be reading it. You ladies had a great time in California!! Great food, great touring, great friendship.

Excited to get a little heat, although I suppose the excitement about leaving this cold behind will be short-lived.

I will be trying to hold back the tears a lot in the next week as I visit Walt's place and then step foot in that magnificent atrium on board. Sniff...
:lovestruc

I had a great time in California! Loved meeting Alison!

It's supposed to be 80 this weekend...I can handle a late snowstorm when I know great weather is right behind it! I couldn't believe it didn't stop snowing until almost 3pm today!

Don't bother holding back the tears! I was a sobbing mess at the end of the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour and I always cry when I board a Disney ship. :)

Jill in CO

Have a great time neighbor (South Dakota here)! Cannot wait to hear all about it! Definitely following along with this TR.

Love your report so far and looking forward to more. I hope you have a wonderful time in Sonoma, I grew up in Sonoma County and it is just beautiful!

We will be on the 2 night with you:cool1: It's a little something to hold us over until Alaska! We are also using the short cruise to get to gold:)

I hope you have a great time at Disneyland:earsgirl: Have a Krakatoa Punch at Trader Sam's for me (love that place).

Day 1 – Travel and Disneyland!

Finally – the day came to wake up early (3:30 AM) and begin our adventure. Our flight on Frontier Airlines was due to leave at 8:00 AM, putting us into Orange County at 9:30 AM. After a few last minute chores, we were on the road at 4:45. Only a few minutes behind schedule, we arrived at Denver International at 6:15 AM, and got through security without any delays. Most humans are not at the airport at this time of day, so it was not crowded at all. We always prefer to begin vacation as soon as possible, so the day is not wasted.

Flying is definitely not as fun or comfortable as it used to be. Frontier Airlines, which we have always loved to fly, is now beginning to nickel and dime for everything. First snacks went away, then the free checked bag, then the free soft drink, and now they want to charge us for carry-on bags (beginning in another couple of months). The only thing that keeps us flying Frontier is that each seat has a TV monitor, and DH really enjoys watching TV while we fly. That, and the fact that Frontier is based in Denver, so there are lots of direct flights to choose from. OK – rant over – I didn’t mean to get so off-topic, and no one really cares, but it is just really getting annoying. :headache:

When we arrived in Santa Ana, it was already blazing hot, and we learned that we were in for a couple of days of record high heat – 100 degrees PLUS during our first two days in the park. (I told you I wouldn’t be complaining of the snow for too long). We had to wait about 20 minutes for the next Super Shuttle, but at least it was in the shade, and we were excited that we were in California!

We were the second stop on the Shuttle, and it was wonderful to step into the cool lobby of the Grand Californian. The bell staff took our bags for later delivery, since it was so early in the day, and a very nice gentleman at the check in desk gave DH a nice certificate to thank him for his military service. I wish I could remember his name, but he was also former military, and told us how each year, the cast members at the Grand Floridian who have prior military service are able to participate in a dedicated flag ceremony at Disneyland, and how they are presented with these commemorative certificates to pass along to guests of their choice. It was great to visit with him. He also gave us the schedule of the special events at the Grand Floridian for the week – the morning Power Walk through California Adventure (which we really wanted to do, but didn’t happen); the evening movie poolside (also didn’t happen); and the kids’ scavenger hunt around the hotel with the huge cookie prize at the end (you guessed it… didn’t happen.) :confused3

We were antsy to get out to the parks after that, so we stepped aside in the lobby, reorganized the hotel documents and the military service certificate, and were off! We headed to the hotel DCA entrance and the security checkpoint. Then we went through the turnstiles into DCA and exchanged our paper e-tickets for our park hopper passes. It was really convenient to do it that way, rather than going to the ticket booth, as we had to do last time we went to Walt Disney World. The attendant snapped our photos so that they were in the computer system. We went straight to Bugs Land to see about Fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers, and were able to get a return time of 5:30 – 6:30 PM. That was all we did in DCA, and crossed the esplanade plaza over to Disneyland. Yep – the sign over the archway gets me every time. Sniff! But no time to be sentimental, because my main (non-human) man was waiting for me on Main Street. He was SOOOOO happy to see me – you can see it in his face.

Disneyland051414MickeyMouse_zpsfe42f9e1.jpg

We were hungry at this point, so wanted to see if we could get into Café Orleans a bit earlier than our lunch reservation. After a very short wait, we were welcomed into this beautiful café. DH ordered seared salmon over salad (a very responsible and refreshing choice) , but I had to give the Monte Cristo a try, since Café Orleans offers a cheese-only version without the ham, and I wanted to see if it was as good as it sounds. I’m a little addicted to cheese. I’m glad that DS didn’t order a meal, because that sandwich was enough to feed four people, let enough one. So DS and I each ate one of the four sections, and then I used a fork to eat some extra cheese out of the leftover sections. I ordered a mint julep, the guys had sweet teas, and we shared the pommes frites between the three of us. On such a hot day, I could have done without the heavy food and just had the julep and the fries, to be honest. But we were trying to pack a lot of new experiences into our 2 ½ days at the park, so the Monte Cristo was still an excellent choice. The Pommes Frites were a huge hit with everyone. Extraordinarily delicious, and one of the best things we’ve ever eaten at any restaurant, we all agreed. So my cancellation of the Blue Bayou turned out to be one of the best decisions of the trip. I probably never would have tried Café Orleans if BB had been running as usual along with POTC, and this little restaurant is a real GEM. We would eat there again in a heartbeat.

After lunch, it was time to see some attractions. Since we were close, we headed to Indiana Jones. DS didn’t remember it very well from our trip 3 years ago, so was excited to go. We were beginning to bemoan the fact that we only had the daypack that went through security with us at the airport (so therefore did not contain sunscreen). DH was turning a little pink on the back of his neck. Since I’ve ridden Indy several times, I left the boys to ride by themselves, and I walked back to Main Street to visit the shops for sunscreen, and enjoy some blessed cool air. The sunscreen was pretty pricey (and is stocked behind the cash registers), but I didn’t think twice. It was a necessity, even though we had three perfectly good bottles back at the hotel in our checked luggage.

I met DH and DS back in Adventure Land, and we headed to Haunted Mansion. This is my favorite attraction, so I was excited! No wait whatsoever – which was especially awesome. Then we crossed the park and hit Space Mountain and Star Tours, which were also on our top 10 list. Next was Astro Blasters, which again had a very short line, which inexplicably didn’t move for about 5 minutes (we were soon to find out.) But then the line began to move quickly again and we were in, and trying for a high score. The ride stopped about 10 times while we were on it (technical difficulties – maybe heat induced?), so I DID achieve my high score, since while the ride was stopped, we could still rack up points – Take That, Evil Emperor Zurg!

Sad to say, but that’s about all we could take of the heat. We had received a message from the other part of the family that their plane was delayed from Seattle, so we wouldn’t expect them until around 4:30 or so. We had also received a text with our room number, indicating that it was ready. We meandered back through the shops along main street, toward the front of the park. I took this absolutely HORRIBLE photo of myself in some fantastic Minnie Mouse headgear to send back to work to demonstrate how miserable the heat was while my Wyoming coworkers were shoveling snow. Notice the sweat ravaged hair, lack of makeup (I believe it melted off on the way to Space Mountain) and the heat-defeated expression. But I was very very happy. Truly.

Disneyland051414LeslieMinnieHeadband_zps7563b1fb.jpg

As it was now 103 degrees, we were JUST as happy to spend a little time in our hotel room, cooling off while waiting for the rest of the family to arrive. The hotel had managed to arrange connecting rooms on the 5th floor overlooking Downtown Disney, which was an amazing feat, since the hotel was fully booked. The balcony had a table with two chairs, and from the far left, we could look out and see Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. The huge Disney Store was directly below us, a few floors down. Bell services delivered the luggage, and we unpacked the single suitcase we planned to get into during the Disneyland portion of our stay. My sister texted us soon after that they were downstairs checking in. My sister and niece were presented with “first visit” buttons, which was very special, and my niece was also given a photo of Belle. pixiedust:She told the cast member, “But that’s my favorite princess!”. It was really precious. Nice memory. I felt so proud that the trip was starting off so magically for them – I want them to love Disneyland as much as I do. :love:

We repeated the entry into DCA through the hotel entrance for my Mom, sister and niece, as it was getting close to our Fastpass return time for Radiator Springs Racers. The three of us headed there, and dropped the three newcomers off in Cars Land to ride Tow Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree. They all had a good time, and I think they rode twice. Even with Fastpass, our wait time was around 15 minutes for RSR, but it was much better than the wait for the poor souls standing in the regular 90 minute line. People had purchased water mister fans galore, and we were cooled off just by association from the people standing in line close to us. (It wouldn’t be long before my sister bought one of her own for us to use!). RSR was pretty amazing, I must say. It’s probably still not in my top 3, but I really enjoyed it. On this first visit, we did not get to experience an actual “race” as there was no car next to us, so that put a slight damper on things, but it was very slight. It was still a LOT of fun. And great to feel the breeze on our faces.

We then met back up with the rest of the family in Cars Land and headed over the bridge to Paradise Pier. My Mom’s leg was really acting up, and was very painful for her. She has some nerve pain due to some old injuries, and it’s gotten worse as she’s gotten older. It was sad for me to see, as I only see her once or twice a year, and I hadn’t realized how bad it has gotten. I felt guilty for expecting her to keep up with us. She is so young in many ways, so I don’t stop to think about what she’s been dealing with. So… Mom and niece were going to sit in the shade by the fountain next to King Triton’s carousel while the rest of us rode California Screamin’ – but darling niece decided to throw tantrum #1, and refused to let her Mom leave her. So my sister decided to leave Mom in the shade while she took our niece on the carousel. DH, DS12 and I went to ride California Screamin’ – and the wait wasn’t very long. About 5 minutes, if I remember. This was a good, good thing, as DS wasn’t at all sure about whether he would survive an upside-down roller coaster, despite all of our promises to the contrary. I didn’t want to give him too much time to think about it and chicken out. Sure enough, he started out terrified, but pronounced it “cool” when the ride was done. “You were right, Dad! It was going so fast that I couldn’t even feel that we were upside down!” Still, he wasn’t chomping at the bit to get right back on it. :rotfl2:

My original thought was to go over to Disneyland to Hungry Bear or Harbour Galley for a bite to eat at dinner, but with my Mom’s leg and the heat, we decided to find something closer. So we ate at Pilot’s Grill next to Soarin’. Nothing special, and the atmosphere kinda stinks, but Mom and Sis got a beer and we all got waters and some munchies, so were able to relax and cool down. Sis had found a table next to an air conditioning vent, so before long, we all decided that going over to Disneyland would be a good thing after all. On the way out, we saw Mickey in his “Hollywood” duds close to Carthay Circle, but just as we got in line so our niece could see him, his handler took him away. I held my breath, waiting for tantrum #2, but my sister handled the situation with aplomb, made some excuse about Mickey’s work hours or OSHA or Minnie had dinner on the table or some such, and we all happily traipsed over to Disneyland.

Ah, now here’s where we really started to feel the magic. Main Street as the sun was going down was cooler, the old-time music filled the air, balloons and smiling people were everywhere, and I think we all had a hitch in our breath as we saw my sister and niece take it all in for the first time. I think they were a little stunned into silence when they could finally see the castle at the end of Main Street. (my sister said it was smaller than she’d expected.) It was time to find rides that our niece could experience, so she would have a bit of fun on her first day ever at Disneyland. So we took a left and headed back to Haunted Mansion (she loved it, and was so excited to see the “Scary House” as she said.) My sister loved it too, I think. We split up into 3 separate doom buggies, so my sister and niece rode together, DS and his Grammy rode together, and DH and I had a doom buggy to ourselves for the first time in 12 years. LOL! Having an even number of people in the party really turned out to be handy! And the hitchhiking ghost didn’t have to sit on anyone’s lap!

From there, we rode Winnie the Pooh, Snow White and Pinocchio, and then decided to go back to the hotel. It was getting close to 9:00, and I still wanted to go to Trader Sam’s for a drink with DH and my sister. Our niece did not want to stay at the hotel without her Mom, and was pretty verbal about not getting ditched with her cousin and Grandma, but we ducked out anyway. What a relief to get temper tantrum #2 out of the way! The three of us walked down to the Disneyland Hotel, but there was not a table to be found ANYWHERE. I was so disappointed. Of course, DH was crabby that we’d walked all that way for nothing, and I wasn’t very happy either. Darn it! I really wanted a Krakatoa Punch or an Uh Oa! Apparently, record hot days equals a huge crowd after dark at Trader Sam’s, even on a Wednesday. So as a consolation prize, we went back to the Hearthstone Lounge at the Grand Californian and found a table there. We had a couple drinks each and chatted for a while, and then headed back upstairs. It had been a long, hot day for everyone, and we were all nearly asleep on our feet.

Sorry for the lack of photos – it didn’t seem like we saw much “new” – and everyone was a bit too hot and miserable to want to pose for photos. It gets better from here on out, I promise.

Next Up: A full day of fun with BBB and Napa Nose!

Great first day! I hate Frontier now....I hate the direction they are going.

What a change in temp! Nice they recognized your husbands service....hopefully the rest of trip goes with no more temper tantrums!

Jill in CO

Wow! You really did soooo much on your first day! We are locals and I remember how hot it was, too! Really enjoying your report! Can't wait for the next installment! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!