• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Jan 28--WISH Walking/Running Club

Cam-OMG! What a genius. Eat less & you will lose weight. Maybe he should write a book because I would have never thought of that :sad2: You are not needy and I am proud to call you a teammate & friend!:love:

Kristi-so glad you are coming to Minnie!!! I'm glad your GP are o.k.

panthergirl-I keep having fleeting thoughts of doing the full next year. Everytime I do, I do that hyperventilating. But, I did that after I registered for the 1/2 too. But I know if you put in those steps, anything is possible. You can do it!! Congrats for signing up!

Didnt get to training today. Worked in the a.m. & had to run errands this afternoon. DS9 is doing an overnighter at the science museum tonight & had to get some stuff for that.

Have a great weekend everyon!

Geez, I seem to always come off as so needy here and such a drama queen. I swear I am VERY low maintenance in real life.

Cam - I have been thinking aobut you all day and getting more and more steamed as I go. Let me get this straight, you have lost 65 pounds AND run a marathon? That means you probably lost a lot more than 65 pounds because you gained muscle.

I didn't think you sounded needy or dramatic - you sounded like someone made you feel bad about yourself. I think he was jealous cause he hasn't run a marathon. He obviously doesn't realize what it takes.

Cam: I always tell DH I am low maintence he just laughs....not sure what that means:lmao:
Kim
My Dh has that same reaction. :confused: :lmao:

Anybody notice a change in my signature? That's right boys and girls I'm doing the full. :scared1: Did I forget that I am now OVER 50? What am I thinking? I have to sign off now so I can go hyperventilate!
I can relate to that feeling! I felt the same way after I signed up for Goofy. Way to go! You are already better trained than I was when I signed up and I only had 6 months to train - You can do it!:cheer2:

Just for fun I did the fitness test on one of the treadmills at my gym. I used to do these when I first started working out and they always said I had poor fitness. Well, today was no different. WHAT?! I just ran a marathon and I am in POOR physical condition? Why didn't somebody tell me this at about mile 21 when I was tired, hot and hurting? Then I could have gone to the med tent and said "i am in poor physical condition. What a bunch of garbage! And when I think of how depressed I used to get when I took those test a year ago! I think Cam's Dr invented that test.

Cecilia

Come over to the dark side Kim!

I know I should just sign up and do it. I think of Terry Fox, not sure if he gained any notiriety in the States but back in I believe the late 1970s he was planning on running across Canada to raise money for cancer, he made it 143 days running a average of 23.3 miles per day....that is almost a marathon a day for 143 days on 1 leg, and fighting cancer. He had to give up after 143 days as the cancer returned and he passed not long after.

Sorry to get so deep on you all, but I figure I should be able to do this. He is a Canadian hero.

Kim

Storms here in Central Florida (yes, I live next door to the mouse himself) were pretty bad when I was going into work at 6:00am this morning. All the news was about the weather (had me really excited, I'm an armchair weatherman) I was on NOAA watching the radars along with them. North East and North West Central Florida definatly got the worst of it. If you or someone you know were impacted by the tragic events today, you are in my family's prayers

Today is definatly a rest day for me.

Hope everyone has a great workout and a wonderful night.

This is the first time I've had to check in since Tuesday morning. All of a sudden, everything went crazy at work, resulting in three 12-15 hour days and no workouts for me. :sad2:

Hoping to get back to it tonight.

Cam - I'm so sorry your doctor was a jerk. Bah.

Texa - Do you live in Austin?

Hope all of you Floridians are safe and sound!

Thinking of all you Floridians and hoping you're safe and well! When I think of your situations, I feel silly complaining about our below-zero wind-chill days.

Kim: C'mon, join up...you know you want to! (Peer pressure, peer pressure.) I appreciated the reference to Terry Fox...he's a real inspiration.

I think I've finally kicked my cold, achy-breaky bug. Had my first long, feel-good workout since last weekend, which combined XT with week 3 of C25K. I'm really liking it. Was it this thread where someone brought up the little-engine-that-could mantra? I found myself doing thinking such things while on the TM--do any other newbies have that experience?

I know I should just sign up and do it. I think of Terry Fox, not sure if he gained any notiriety in the States but back in I believe the late 1970s he was planning on running across Canada to raise money for cancer, he made it 143 days running a average of 23.3 miles per day....that is almost a marathon a day for 143 days on 1 leg, and fighting cancer. He had to give up after 143 days as the cancer returned and he passed not long after.

Kim

Hey Kim,

Terry Fox was featured in Runnersworld magazine a few months ago not long after all the press about the guy, Dean Karnazes, who ran 50 marathons in 50days this Fall. There were a lot of Canadians that wrote in and reminded the editors about Terry Fox, an amputee with cancer, running across Canada to raise money for cancer who essentially ran almost a marathon in those 143 days before he was forced to quit.

This stuck with me because I grew up in Canada and remember this vividly.

It was a great article, brought back a lot of memories.

Colleen

Christa

I'm back to training easy, I will register for the 2008 full marathon, and I'll book the room for the week so it will be waiting for me. The only way I won't be in Orlando next January 13 is if Martha gets a job in Colorado. If that happens I'll spend my entire winter break out there with her instead of in Orlando.

Laurie

We do have big plans for the post-daughter-in-college era. And honestly, one reason I stay at this is so for many years yet to come, I'll be strong and healthy enough to do them all. If I can walk and climb all over Paris with my bride on my 75th birthday, it will all have been worth it.

FWIW, I think I learned a valuable lesson in the 2007 marathon. Yes, the heat pretty much tossed any pre-strategy in the trash, but I think while training I focused too much on the length of the long days, and didn't do enough high intensity work. I did really easy long work, and some up tempo short work, but I was lacking in workouts around 2 hours at near race pace. I was able to carry planned race pace with no difficulty for 10 miles in Orlando, but that took far too much out of my body. I had trained for long and slow, and short and quick, but I had not done longish and quickish. In retrospect, although I hadn't done any training runs longer than 2 hours 15 minutes for 2006's Goofy, lots of them were pretty hard, and I was probably fitter for 2006 than 2007.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. This year's training strategy will require more intensity. One of these days I'll figure it all out.

Craig

IIf it quits raining long enough today, I may be able to get out and go bike shopping. Lynnda's is a little small for me and I think she is secretly afraid that I am going to break it somehow.

Bill

Well, did you get one?

I have not caught up on the posts so you may have already answered, but just in case you didn't.....we need to know.

I was also thinking about our FL WISHers!

My grandparents live in The Villages where the tornados hit. My mom called me because her uncles in VA & PA could not get a hold of my grandparents. So, then we were in a panic. I call down to weather and the producer tells me there are fatalities. I don't tell Mom that! FINALLY, about 2 hours later, my grandfather called my Mom. That's all I know - that they are ok. From what I read online, it seems the Sumter Landing area of The Villages was hit hard. Thank God they live on the Spanish Springs side!

All that panic, then relief - I am exhausted now. I need a nap!

It's been pretty rough here today, but also pretty isolated. Some areas were hit pretty hard, but no wide spread damage.

After all, we are use to storms that cause $Billions in damage. Anything in the $Millions is small.

The sad part of last night is the number of deaths. You don't have that with hurricanes because people can prepare.

Jim -- please check in so we know you are okay. My geography stinks!

Sorry I did not check in earlier.

I didn't realize that our storms made the big time weather until my parents called from their cruise in Hawaii. They saw it on TV. I was to busy working.

Cam - Thanks for asking about Logic. We reset her bandages last night and I felt a lot of heat around the wound. I have to take her temp when I get home and if she is running a fever I will call the vet. BTW, since I inundated you all with pictures of Mist, Logic didn't get much press. So..here she is....

KLinbackyard-1.jpg

Logic5-1.jpg

I wouldn't have noticed that about ASICs either, except, well, you know how many pairs I bought when I was trying to find the right shoes, and all those boxes ended up in the bunny pen so they can climb around and chew on them. :upsidedow

That's pretty nice weather in NY for this time of year. Send some down to Florida. We could use it. :lmao:

FWIW, I think I learned a valuable lesson in the 2007 marathon. Yes, the heat pretty much tossed any pre-strategy in the trash, but I think while training I focused too much on the length of the long days, and didn't do enough high intensity work. I did really easy long work, and some up tempo short work, but I was lacking in workouts around 2 hours at near race pace. I was able to carry planned race pace with no difficulty for 10 miles in Orlando, but that took far too much out of my body. I had trained for long and slow, and short and quick, but I had not done longish and quickish. In retrospect, although I hadn't done any training runs longer than 2 hours 15 minutes for 2006's Goofy, lots of them were pretty hard, and I was probably fitter for 2006 than 2007.

Craig

Thanks for your thoughts. My running group does just that. Everything is focused on long and slow. To do any longer intense workouts I have to do them on my own....which is why I'm not running with the group tomorrow. I have a race coming up and want to get in one more longish and quickish run.

Hey Hey... I am back from Texas with a head cold. I'm feeling kind of rotten. The whole atmosphere and hotel was kind of sucky. You had to pay for the health club, but they also had a lap pool which was free. I swam on Wed. and Thurs for a bit. WOW, what a workout. Not sure if I will run this weekend tho, I guess it depends if I can breathe. I have to go into work tomorrow for a bit too.

SOOOO anyhooo, I skimmed through all 23 pages and took a couple of notes. I am sorry if I missed anything or anyone needing my attention. I am just so tired from my trip. I promise I will catch up.

Carrie - I have debated the Fox Valley Marathon also. Let me know if you are going to do it and if I don't run, maybe I can cheer you on. OH and YIKES on the TM. I have fallen off and almost face planted on it, but never been so gutsy as to try to jump back on. Sounds heroic to me!!!

Helen - Thanks for the bruscits (sp?) info. I have been resting my hip and it is feeling better.

Judy - Sorry your trip was so uneventful. I totally know what you mean, I have an aunt that may very well be your friends twin!!!! OH and that running group I did a little training with last summer were making inversion boards. They never offered me one to buy because I wasn't a "real" member. I thought that was skunky. But anyway, they looked easy to make.

Heather - WHOO HOO on the 2 mile run!!!!

Kristi - MAN OH MAN, let me tell you about the indoor track!! Remember I ran 132 laps for my final long run before the 1/2. Well last Saturday I did 5 miles on the indoor track. It's a good thing I am a heavy breather with my asthma, because the 2 across people were irritating me. I also cough and tromp my feet loud if I have to. After a couple times of this, they usually get the hint and watch for me coming up behind them. I have had people walk 3 across, then I have to say excuse me and glare to get them to move!!!

Craig - OH yah, I have cut people off short too! Our track is short, so It can be a big pain in the bum! We also have the social walkers, moms that meet up while their kids are in swim or gymnastic classes. They spend the whole time gossiping and not even walking at a speed for exercise.

Cam - Oh dear sweet Cam... your doctor is nuts!!! Any doctor with good bedside manner should know that losing weight is a struggle and if they don't encourage how far you have come, what incentive do you have to continue. BUT, you are one lucky WISHer to have such a great supportive group of friends to cheer you on. After meeting you last month, I don't think you are needy or whiney or anything bad. I think you are an awesome, wonderful, inspiring person.

Dave - If you don't mind me asking, what kind of help are you getting your daughter? If you don't want to share, that is fine, or if you want to PM that is fine also. We have battled our now 6.5 y/o with behaviour like you are describing. Last year we thought about counseling for her, but she seems to be getting better. Tho we still get those sudden out of control emotional moments.

OK, I need to get some cold drugs and get some sleep. Poor DD3 is sickly with a cold also. I knew I would get a cold sooner or later. This month I have been traveling 3 of the 4 weeks and in contact with more people than a normal person should be. It was germ heaven!!!!

I wanted to catch up with everyone's posts, but life has been crazy around here the last few days. One rest day turned into two as a teacher at my DD's school was arrested for allegedly molesting three girls in his classroom. DD is just fine, doesn't even really know the teacher, but needed a little extra TLC after all the confusion and seeing all the media in the parking lot, etc. We also got to have another "good touching vs. bad touching" conversation that left me a bit emotionally drained. All I can think about is how much this has disrupted our lives and I can't imagine how awful it has to be for the families that are more directly impacted by the whole thing. My heart just aches for them.

In other news, I was trying to figure out how to work in a run this weekend because my DH is on duty all weekend and my gym doesn't open until after he leaves for work and closes before he gets home on the weekends. (It is too darn cold here to be running outside!) My membership at my current gym expires this week and I have been checking out some other places. Anyway, I found out that another gym in town offers childcare for kids as young as 6 months and my youngest just turned 6 months old, so I am going to join up there. It is going to make it much easier for me to train if I have a place to dump the girls for a bit when my DH is working! So that is a bit of good news amidst all the bad news of the week.

Glad to hear that the folks in FL are okay! I hope to catch up with everyone else soon. Have a great weekend!

Just wanted to share the news with my WISH team mates.

I interviewed for a position last Friday and I got the call tonight that I will be receiving an offer next week :banana: :cool1: :yay:

I am in awe how you can remember all the info to comment back. I think while I'm reading of answers or questions and promptly forget them when I read another post. Must be a gift. Or all that running clears the brain. lol. I took notes finally.

Helen...I had planter fasciaiitis (yep there are two 'i"s side by side) and what worked was ultrasound and deep massage done by a physio. The bad news is that it took months to go away. The good news I could still do whatever I wanted.

Judy...Mist is beautiful!

Krista...PLEASE try walking backwards on the TM. Then I won't feel so all alone and weird on it. Maybe we could start a trend and everyone will be doing it. Anyway hold onto the rails and go slow. 5 minutes does the trick at 1.5. I can finally do it without holding on but I'm becoming a bit of a pro.
Hmnnn. Something I'm good at.

Dave...I do know how hard it is when a family member is acting out. Oh yeah that was me. My teenage years were not stellar to say the least. But somewhere along the line I smartened up, went to college, got my RN's. And honestly I became the most stable person around. My mother once said "I hope you have a daughter just like You (and not in a nice way,lol) And guess what...Carole #2 came along . We made it through the horrible teen years and she is a lovely person now.

Maggie..Yeah. Another walker. Your mile #2 was awesome. Have you done any races?

Looking forward to the gym tommorrow.

I ordered my through REI because of their exchange policy. They made it really easy to return several that had service problems.

Have you had a lot of issues with service problems on your Garmin? I just started looking into buying the 205 online, but I'd hate to have to ship it back and forth if there are service issues.

Have you had a lot of issues with service problems on your Garmin? I just started looking into buying the 205 online, but I'd hate to have to ship it back and forth if there are service issues.

Let me start by saying I love my Garmin and Garmin has been great to work with.

Yes, I have had service issues. The problem has been with the charging. After several months it would not turn on after removing it from the charger. They have always replaced it with no questions asked.

The last time I expressed my frustration and was passed to a supervisor. He had been doing some work on the problem because a few people had been having the same problem over and over. They found a solution (filling 4 vent holes with silicon) and that solved it. They sent me a new one, I filled the holes and it is working fine.

They will be sending me another one shortly.

Would I buy another one? Yes because no one has a product that will do what the Garmin does. Has it been frustrating? Yes, but they have fixed it and the supervisor knew about it and really helped out.

I still like the idea of buying at REI or Costco so if you change your mind and you don't like it.....send it back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter