• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Jan 28--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Team

Abra Cat NC
akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
CaroleD Carole ON
Chernabog#1Fan FL
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload Dawn GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
deekaypee
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice FL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Honeibee Judy NY
hoosmi Jen GA
Jen117 Jen WI
jodistar Jodi CT
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kim10110 Kim
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
Meghan74 Meghan
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
panthergirl Susan NC
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks IL
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

Posting live from POR tonight, so I'll keep it brief! Pirate and Princess Party was cold, but very cool last night! DD3 was the princess, the rest of the fam was a group of unruly pirates pirate: Not a whole lot of people there...we lined up directly on Main Street for the parade without having to get there an hour ahead of time to save a spot. Capt Jack was a good look-alike and definitely well in-character! The fireworks were very cool...pirates 'stormed' the castle!

Too cold to get up early and run this morning so we ran this afternoon before dinner at Boma (excellent post-run recovery meal :thumbsup2 ). DH has renewed interest and ran with me. I think he's going to be way faster than me when he gets his endurance up :sad1: 3.5 miles today (2 loops around the Sassagoula) in 43:20. Hope I'll be able to talk him into doing the half this year :thumbsup2

Everyone was talking about respecting the distance last week...anyone have a list of runner's 'rules' for stuff like that? Or maybe we can come up with our own? I have one, based on this year...respect the conditions. I think I was too cavalier with it this year. The weather was something I know and love, but it still kicked my butt. I've learned that training in certain conditions does NOT make you immune to them.

BTW...there are 111 names on the WISH team list!

Mel - Any time a WDW is a good time. A time without a lot of people...FANTASTIC! I get the grumbellies just thinking about Boma.

Cecelia - Isn't it crazy how good it feels to have someone tell you something you already know. It's great that you got the recognition as an athelete (but even better that you could outrun your DD).

Dave - Great job in bad conditions. Boston is in you future. Know it and you can make it happen.

Stephanie - Excellent LR.

Jim - Being the supportive parent is great and all but in retrospect maybe you should have tripped your DS at the start. :rolleyes1

Howard - Good luck with your back. Cam - Good luck with the message. Wait, maybe I have my "Good Luck"s switched.

Just a quick question: Has anyone that registered for next year's races by mail (DVC/Cast Member) received any sort of confirmation yet? I haven't heard anything back yet and don't know whether to get nervous yet with Goofy filling up fast.

Dave - Great job in bad conditions. Boston is in you future. Know it and you can make it happen.

Jim - Being the supportive parent is great and all but in retrospect maybe you should have tripped your DS at the start. :rolleyes1

I like the way you think Mike! & Dave, I agree 100%

I ended up only running 6 yesterday but I ran them at an 8:44 minute pace! :banana:

I was struggling to keep up with everyone and thinking my cold was what was making it so hard. I knew we were running fast but not that fast! The real bummer is that I was the only one who put my midweek mileage in. Everyone else there hadn't run in a week. I hate naturally fast people.

Cecilia

Just a quick question: Has anyone that registered for next year's races by mail (DVC/Cast Member) received any sort of confirmation yet? I haven't heard anything back yet and don't know whether to get nervous yet with Goofy filling up fast.

I mailed my app in the first week that the DVC discount apps were available on disneyrunning.com. I also have not received any notice back from Disney, nor have they dropped the race fees onto my Visa, but I remember last year I took them a while to do this also. I'm sure we'll be OK.:thumbsup2

Stephanie - great job on the long run!! Hey, the Sylamore 50k is on Feb 17th. I just sent my paperwork in. You could come for a mini meet and use it as a long run:)

Stephanie - great job on the long run!! Hey, the Sylamore 50k is on Feb 17th. I just sent my paperwork in. You could come for a mini meet and use it as a long run:)

AAAHH--fortunately for me, that's the first week of my taper!!! ;) Maybe next year--when I've completely lost my senses!!!;)

Good afternoon TEAM!!!

Today is suppose to be a rest day, after curling all day yesterday my legs are soooooo tired. But have been doing housework all morning.....UUGGGHHHH.

Mel, I need to add my DH name to the list, he is doing the 1/2 or full as well he isn't sure which. I am trying to get him to start posting here to get to know everyone but he is resisting....I hope to convince him to join in and chat. Also WTG on the run with DH.

Cecilia: WTG that is awesome.:cheer2:

OK, 5 min break is over back to housework.:laundy: :laundy: It never ends.

Kim

Good morning WISHers!

I was too much of a sissy-boy to brave the cold and wet this morning, so I ran on the TM. Ran 9 (13:49 MPM) and walked 1. Nothing to write home about, but it was better than doing nothing. Glad there was auto racing on the tube.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday.

Take care.

Kim, congratulations on getting the entire hockeychic family in on the training. Is your daughter going to participate in the Donald/Mickey/Goofy too, or just the Minnie?

I did another 11 miler yesterday. I cut 9 minutes off Wednesday's time even though I'm not doing these for time yet. It was way too crowded at the park. Sunny Saturday morning - who would have thunk it? ;)

I'm going to revise my Minnie goal time. I was thinking 1:45, but I'm running that now. My thing is that it takes me a LONG time to get warm. Especially in my hip flexors. I know I should do yoga again because that really helped when I did it before, but I just don't know where I'm going to fit it into my schedule.

aladdinsgirl, you asked if I take icebaths after long runs. :scared1: I am way too much of a sissy for that. I do know not to linger in a hot shower afterwards.

Today is a rest day. Tomorrow I'll either go to the park again or hit the gym, depending on the weather. Then Tuesday I'll work out with my trainer. Tuesday night I'm hopping the red-eye to MCO for my solo trip.

blueroses and Vic congrats on your training, you are so inspirational.

Blueroses: DD and I are doing the Minnie and DH and I are doing marathon weekend. DH was originally coming to the Minnie weekend with me but I decided the kids where too young to stay alone for a extended long weekend so he is staying home with DS, they are hoping for a early, dry spring and can get in some golfing while we are away.

DH has a user name from a few years ago when we where chatting with cruise people so I hope to get him on soon.

Kim

I registred last year for Food and Wine through the mail. I never did get a confirmation until I started calling. It was about 30 days before the event until I got a confirmation email.

That experience is why I registred on line for the Goofy. Figured the $15 fee was worth it.

aladdinsgirl, you asked if I take icebaths after long runs. :scared1: I am way too much of a sissy for that. I do know not to linger in a hot shower afterwards.

I'm sitting here shivering as I just got out of an ice bath. Ran 20 miles this morning and I take a bath for anything over 16 miles.

They are cold, but I do think they speed up my recovery.

They also help prepare me for cold water scuba.

Hey there WISH team! Just checking in quickly. I went on a 5 mile run today. I finished in 48:43, which was about a minute faster than my 5 mile run last week, so I was happy about that! I averaged a 9:42 pace, which is pretty consistent with my other shorter runs during the week.

Kim-way to go on getting your DH to run! That is so awesome that you are into curling. I really want to go curling someday. I just found a curling club right near the school where I teach. We actually set up a program in which the high school physical education classes go on a field trip to learn how to curl!! I wish I could go with them one day, I will have to get over there on my own one day! BTW-how are your blisters???

blueroses-way to go on your run! taking 9 minutes off is a lot!!! Keep up the good work.

vic-way to go to get on the TM and get in a workout! I was watching the Rolex 24 hour race from Daytona Speedway this morning and had to tear myself away to get out to do my workout!!! Only a few weeks till Nascar starts I can't wait!!

Howard-How is the back doing today?

Cecilia-way to go on your run!!! Great pace!!

mel-way to go getting your DH out there with you to run, especially when on vacation!!! Isn't it great when Disney is so empty!

Keep up the good work everyone!!

When y'all talk about taking an ice bath, do you literally mean that you put ice in the tub with your cold water? Or just a really cold bath?

Good afternoon!

I'm having a rest day, and trying not to feel too guilty about it. I am so psyched because I did all five workouts I had planned for last week! I am actually following a plan, and I'm not so sore I can't walk. Actually, I'm not very sore at all, thanks to all the great advice from everyone on this thread!

I have to run before work tomorrow, because we're taking ds out for his birthday dinner. Don't get too excited, it will be a nine year-old's idea of fine cuisine, which equals Friendly's (sit-down very kid friendly meals w/ice cream specialties). It will be interesting to see how my day goes with my exercise out of the way before I'm tired from my day...hope I don't fall asleep at my desk!

I'm interested in the ice bath question, too, but I'm a very long way from the distance where you need them! My long run yesterday was only 2.5 miles...but I did it, and ran the entire way.

One really basic thing I've learned this week -- when I finish running, I can't completely stop moving (i.e. plunk on the couch and not leave until I go to bed). I need to move around a bit or else I do feel sore the next day.

Here's to a great Sunday, and a fantastic week!
Maria

When y'all talk about taking an ice bath, do you literally mean that you put ice in the tub with your cold water? Or just a really cold bath?

:rotfl: I love newbie questions like that!

Yes, actually put ice in! :scared1:

My Method:

Get in tub with no water. I wear a sweatshirt to keep my top half warm.

Start filling tub with cold water.

Once you are used to that temp and tub is full...

Add a couple bags of ice. :eek:

It actually starts feeling really good!:yay:

I usually stay in for 15-20 minutes.

Also:

We have a separated tub and shower, so I get out of the tub and have my warm shower. On especially long or tough runs (16+ miles) I GET BACK IN THE ICE TUB for another 10-15 minutes!:scared:

I feel great the next day!

Colleen

Woke up feeling marginally better than yesterday, but with a migraine lingering. Somehow talked DD16 into a walk this afternoon, so we decided to walk to the library. Ended up with a 5.5 mile walk - longest distance I've ever done, but I won't report the pace, since this was DD's first real distance - every time I started walking at my usual pace, she started whining! Let's just say it was a leisurely walk and leave it at that - I'm just going to claim I got the miles in this weekend and be happy.

Jackie

Hey guys! Everyone enjoying the winter weather?? I think I spoke too soon when I said I like winter weather running. I had to bundle up with more layers than I have all year this morning for my run in 5 degree windchill weather. :scared1:

Jim--WTG on the 20 miler! I can't remember--are you training for anything in coming up soon or just cranking out 20 milers for fun? Since 20 miles is so much fun, right? :)

blueroses--nice job on the 11 miles. And cutting 9 minutes off your previous time?! Wow, pretty impressive.

Vic--isn't it great when you find something good to watch during a TM run? Makes the time go by so much faster. Good job on the 10.

Cecilia--wow, you're fast! I'm trying to get back to splits like those for semi-long runs, but it'll take me awhile. And yeah, I'm with you--don't you just hate naturally fast people?

Mel--you're at WDW yet again? Well, I'm jealous (yet again!).

Jackie--increasing the mileage again? WTG!

TXAng--ice baths. Oh, the lovely ice baths. In answer to your question, yes, I do actually add ice to the tub of cold water. Had a kind of funny story about that last year, and somehow I ended up with the Iceman nickname. :confused3 In all seriousness, though, I think you do have to be careful how much ice you actually do add to the tub. I think they recommend a temperature above 45 degrees, which means most ice should melt in the tub. Much colder than that and it apparently doesn't help too much, and can actually cause problems if it's REALLY cold. I've put enough ice in the tub a few times that my toes actually burned to the point that I had to keep them out of the water. That wasn't good. The nice thing about a real ice bath, though, is that once you get past the initial 2 minutes of pain, your body pretty much goes numb and the rest of the 15-20 minutes isn't really too bad (unless you move around and the water splashes onto dry skin :scared1: ).

Well, as I mentioned, I braved the cold this morning to get my LR in. Did 10 miles in 1:36. Felt pretty good with that. I think I may not increase my LR distance too much more for the next two months or so, so that I can work on some speed. I don't want to break the cardinal rule and increase speed and distance at the same time. We'll see how that goes. I'm still not completely used to this "reverse-taper" after a marathon. Last year I completely screwed this whole process up, started back too soon, and ended up injured for a month. This year, I'm probably starting back too slow. I know you need to start back gradually, and rebuild your miles slowly over a few weeks, but I'm wondering if it's too early to add in some speed sessions/hill work, etc. Any thoughts?

Well, hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend. Talk to you all later!

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter