WISHING for FIRMer Fannies - Week 1 Check-in

Hi Lisa! I learned the hard way about overtraining--overtraining myself into an injured elbow, shoulder and lower back! I was equating working every part of me every day to seeing quick results, and it just doesn't work that way! I did some major research and discovered a lot about overtraining and what I was doing wrong. I adjusted my workouts accordingly, and my body is now energized after exercise, not exhausted and fatigued! I never realized how important it is to rest and recover, and learned that that's when our muscle actually rebuilds itself and you gain your strength and muscle mass. It really helped me to understand the physiology behind exercising. There's a big difference between working hard and pushing yourself to pain! Congratulaions on all your hard work, Lisa! You're doing an AWESOME JOB!!!:sunny:

Thanks Kim!

So, I can do the legs from Body Sculpt one day and then Upper Body the next day? I tried doing Body Sculpt (the full video) two days in a row and I just about fell over from being so exhausted!:faint:

Hi toystory! You can absolutely alternate--just don't work out the upper or lower body two days in a row--that's the key. Give those muscle groups some well-deserved rest!:faint: Firm videos can be difficult and sometimes the cardio/weights combo routines can be hard to get the hang of at first, so try not to be discouraged if you can't do what the women on the tape do! (I used to just stand there and laugh at them--no way did I think I could do those moves with those heavy weights!). Listen to your body, and follow it's lead. Work with weights that are comfortable for you at YOUR fitness level consistently without overtraining, and I promise you will see and feel the results of your hard work! You're doing great, toystory!

You guys have inspired me to have an all-FIRM week. I did AB Scuplt this AM. No CRUNCH tapes tomorrow. I'll return to Cardio Sculpt Blaster, which I did on Monday. It is my newest tape & I really need to work on it. The "fancy" footwork has me stumbling, I actually fell off my small step. But I am persistent, I will keep doing this tape until I master it & then decide if I like it enough to keep in my routine. The description on the back of the box says: "For those days when you can't just find the time for a workout", so I ask what is a "workout"?

Hey Firmies- Happy Hump Day,

sueg- It is addicting isn't it. I am trying to get Cardio Sculpt Blaster down too. That tape flies by. I think they mean 45min-1 hour for a long workout. The fact that this tape is only 30 minutes is really helpful. It's great to add on to something, or just do on a day when you don't have the time. Definately be careful with the step. Tonight I almost fell off the step too. Try it without arms till your feet get used to the moves. I have a hard time keeping up with them, they go so fast. That will improve as my stamina improves. I already see a difference.

ZerasPride - Great job on Cardio Sculpt. I am still trying to figure out my schedule. Like Kim (luvmydogs), I have really learned alot about working out with the FIRM. I am learning so much from the FIRM believers bulletin boards. Basically they say to do 2-3 Cardio & Sculpt videos (like cardio sculpt & Complete Aerobics and Weight Training), Sculpt videos 1-2 times a week (Body Sculpt & Total Sculpt plus abs) and Cardio 1-2 times a week (Cardio Sculpt blaster, Maximum Cardio Burn plus Abs). Doing no less than 3 workouts per week and no more than 6. You can do abs 7 days a week though, and the next BSS3 system will have a yoga tape that works the core and abs that you can do on rest days. I am doing heavy sculpt only at the moment one day per week, with a rest day after. This leaves sculpt day on Thursday.

Miss Park Avenue- I think they definately meant to do upper one day and lower the next. You definately shouldn't do two total body Sculpt days in a row. I know after a heavy sculpt only day my muscles are really feeling it the next day. But boy do they feel good. Just make sure you rest some. I know what you mean about getting so into working out that you don't want to take a day off. I did 2 weeks in a row 2 weeks ago. I fell asleep on the couch Friday night when I did take a day off. I think it was too much. I might do ab sculpt or the new yoga dvd though on rest days. Maybe a light /short cardio if I just felt I had to work out.

luvmydogs- looks like we did the same workout today. I am not sure about tomorrow. I will probably do either Body sculpt (haven't done it before or Total Sculpt plus abs). If I do body sculpt I will add on Ab sculpt. I am still trying to figure out a good schedule. It's hard to not do a cardio & Sculpt back to back with a sculpt when I want to do my sculpt on Thursday so I have a night off. Do you think this is bad? They say you can do two, but you do do a lot of lifting still in the cardio & sculpt video's.

Blueeyes101817 - Sorry you are sick, hope you get better soon. Great job on the 3 pounds! Good job!! Keep it up!

Cinderelli - I agree with you on getting up- it's nice having the extra time later in the day. Keep up the gret work!

septbride2002- Definately get the fanny lifter. You definately need it - I think. Try to find another exercise you can subsitute for it. Try just doing the step moves without the step. It might help you get them down,, if you try to do it on the floor.

Suzy Mouse- Glad you tried the tapes and didn't return them. I knew you would like them. I definately get such a sweat from them.

Keep up the great job.........we rock!

Woo hoo, Proud of myself again. I got up at 5am and did Body Sculpt. I also added the ab portion of Total Sculpt plus Abs. I sure wish they had an ab section at the end of Body Sculpt.

This was my first time doing this video. Whew! I think it's much tougher than Total Sculpt, but I like Total Sculpt more because they alternate upper and lower instead of doing lower first and upper second. My legs were shaking at the end of each of the leg lifts on the fully assembeled Fanny Lifter, using the heavy weights. WOAH!! The DVD did fly by though, for it being 50 minutes with no ab work. Maybe it helps having two stretches. I did miss the little bit of low impact aerobics in Total Sculpt. I am glad I got this though. I definately want to do different workouts to exercise the muscles in different ways.

My goal tonight is to do Complete Aerobics and Weight Training form BSS2 - we are going out for drinks tonight so I am going to have to keep the motivation to go home and do the exercise after drinks and dinner. I tried to wake up early this morning but it didn't happen.

~Amanda

Good Morning FIRMies!

Melanie! You are an Exercise Goddess! You have really been moving the last few days!:moped: I know what you mean about these videos being so motivating and fun--I feel the same way. This is the first time in my life I've ever looked forward to exercising! I'm still trying to get a good workout rotation going, too. I try to do 3 cardio/3 AWT's a week. However, I have been experimenting with adding on a shorter cardio (Calorie Killer, Cardio Sculpt Blaster) on AWT days, and Body Sculpt's upper body on all cardio days. (Hope I'm making sense!). That does make me do two sculpting days in a row, but I tend not to work as heavy during the AWT's, and really push up the weights during Body Sculpt. For some reason, when doing weights-only work, I can increase the poundage and work really deep. So far, I don't feel as if my muscles are overtraining, but I'll certainly alter my rotation if it happens. I'm sure I've confused you, as I don't even understand what I wrote myself!:rolleyes: Let's just say I'm still experimenting, and listening to my body's signals! I do think that as long as I have the time, I'll keep on adding the short cardios--I like that little bit of extra fat-burning! Keep on truckin' Melanie! You're doing such a GREAT JOB!!!

Sueg--It can be hard getting those steps down, can't it?! I've had some Firm videos for nearly 2 years, and I still stumble over my feet sometimes! And it always takes me like 10 times (maybe more) until I get just the basics of a new video down! I know that if I let my mind wander even just a little bit during these videos, I'm out of step and tripping myself up. You are not alone! I hope you find that you like the Firm workouts--I know I've gotten great results with them. You're doing awesome!

Hi Amanda! CAWT is my favorite workout, and I always look forward to it in my rotation. Have fun going out tonight, and tilt one back for me!

I did Maximum Cardio Burn + Abs and then the upper body portion from Body Sculpt this morning. For those of you that have that video, I always laugh when Allie says, "now hiccup!" during the ab segment.:) Tomorrow is Total Sculpt + Abs (oooooh, those killer front dips off the FL!), and maybe a short cardio add-on.

Have a great day FIRMies, and a big WOO HOO to everyone for working so hard!:sunny:

Good afternoon FIRMies!

I wanted to stop in and say thanks for the advice several of you gave me about taking a rest day. I feel much better giving my body a break today!

These workouts are addicting and I admit it was hard not to get up work out but I'm ready to go for tomorrow morning. Thanks so much for the support and advice!

I'm back in the game tomorrow with Cardio Sculpt! :)

Good afternoon everyone! Wow, I already see some familiar "faces" around here!:D I'm stilling learning the lingo, so bear with me. I just purchased a set of FIRM DVDs yesterday, I believe BS2 or something like that, and a set of 2 and 3 lb. weights to start off with. All I need is the sculpting stick and fanny lifter, but I need them by Monday. Anyone know where I can get them?

I'm looking forward to starting a workout routine and I was so happy to find this thread. Thanks Melanie!

FIRMIES!!!!!!!!!!
I did Cardio Sculpt Blaster, as planned, at 5:30am. I used some of the advice from these Bds., esp. the idea (from MelanieC?) that you when you are lost with the FIRM's moves just make up your own moves to keep yourself going & give yourself a chance to catch up. I didn't fall off my step, but my dowel (which I use during FIRM Tough Tape II) did crash down from the corner of the room. DH is so sweet, he assures me that the dowel fall frequently & had little to do with me hopping on & off my fanny lifter.LOL
As the proud owner of 9 FIRM tapes, I thought I had FIRM exercising covered, but you guys, esp. MelanieC, luvmydogs & ZerasPride have given me so many other tapes to consider. What is the FIRM believers bulletin board? Is it part of the FIRM site?
Thanks for all your help guys! Tomorrow may be an off-day or a WATP day. But my pledge to myself is a WORKOUT, i.e. 45min-1hr. on both Sat. & Sun.

Hello FIRMies!

Castillo Mom~ I got my fanny lifter at Target and it came with the video tapes too. I just kept those in the package and sold them on eBay because I already had the videos. I though I could do the workouts with just a step, but when I got the fanny lifter, I noticed a huge difference!

Today I did the Lower Body part of Body Sculpt and tomorrow it will be the Upper Body. I'm checking eBay out for some of the other FIRM videos that you all are recommending so hopefully I will be adding those into the rotation soon as well. Have a great evening everyone! Keep up the good work!!:Pinkbounc

FIRMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today was a FIRM off-day. DH & I did WATP 2 miles. I've been thinking about the Cardio Sculpt Blaster's description of the tape as intense 30 minutes for when you don't have time for a workout. I think I'm going to try to change my weekly routine. Using MelanieC's suggestion that a "work out" is probably 45 minutes to an hour, I'm going to try to add some longer FIRM tapes to my routine. I already own them, I just use them infrequently. Bottom line still is that a 30 minute workout is better than nothing but I'm committed to at least 2 LONG tapes on the weekend & perhaps getting up 15 minutes earlier (5:15 AM YIKES!) one or two weekdays. Plan starts tomorrow. SGG

Good morning Firmies!

This morning I did the cardio sculpt workout. I usually get through 30 minutes of the tape but had to stop at 25 minutes today or I was going to be late for work. That five minutes saved me because I almost missed my bus! Anyway, it was great as usual.

Nice to see you posting here Lisa (Castillo Mom). :) I got my fanny lifter from Target in a box with 3 videos as well. I saw the fanny lifter listed by itself on a link from Amanda (septbride2002) to her bid on ebay and there was an ad for the fanny lifter for about $30.00. Hope that helps.

Everyone have a great day!

Good morning FIRMies!

Today, I completed the second part of the Body Sculpt and 1/2 of the Ab Sculpt videos. I don't feel like I did much today, so I think that next week I will just do Body Sculpt all in one day and then Abs the next.

I think I need to do more cardio. I am getting much stronger, but my fat isn't melting away as fast I would like it to. I think I need one of those Super Cardio videos. Of course once the weather breaks, I will be outside walking with the kids a lot so that will help.

Have a great day everyone and keep up the good work!:Pinkbounc

Hey FIRMies!!! I'm so glad to see so many of you posting--and welcome Castillo Mom!:wave2: I love to see how everybody's doing with their workouts and getting advice on new things to try--I'm so nosy.:hyper:

HI Lisa (Zera's Pride)! I'm glad you took a day off to rest your hard-working body, and that you're feeling energized and ready to go! Cardio Sculpt was the video that got me hooked on The Firm, and Allie's my favorite instructor. I remember when I first tried it--I was 110 pounds heavier with no cardio-vascular strength to speak of. I had to do the step portions on the floor, rest OFTEN, and not use any weights. Never on earth did I ever think I'd get to the point where I'd actually LOVE doing them! I've seen such great results with the FIRM that's why I think I'm one of their biggest cheerleaders. Keep up all your hard work, Lisa! You're doing GREAT!:) :) :)

Castillo Mom (another Lisa!)--We're so glad you've found this thread and will be joing us! I really hope you'll enjoy your Firm workouts--they're my absolute favorite, and they're the first workouts I've found that I actually look forward to doing! I don't know your fitness level, but try not to get discouraged if you find them difficult to do! Sometimes the footwork is hard to get used too, as is the terminology (calf pump, L-step, step-n-scoop)!!! Take your time, work at YOUR fitness level and keep a good sense of humor! I still laugh at myself when the instructor's doing her thing and I'm doing something completely different! We're so glad you're here, Lisa, and keep us updated!

Hi sueg! Congratulations on getting in your WATP--it's important to get that exercise in no matter what tape you're doing! And Melanie did give you GREAT advice about making up your own moves when the Firm instructors are doing one thing and you're doing another (I've been doing some Firms for nearly 2 years, and I STILL have to do that sometimes!). Just keep marching or stepping until you catch up--your heart rate's still up and that's what counts! Your plan for your new rotation sounds great--good luck with it and let us know how it's working out for you!

Hi toystory! I think it's a great idea about adding some cardio to your weight workouts! It's a great fat-buster and will really strengthen your cardio-vascular system! Walking's terrific low-impact cardio exercise, and when you alternate that with your weight work, you get the best of both worlds! The Firm has some great videos that combine both cardio and weights, and I know Melanie took the time to list all those videos on the Firm Catagories thread (isn't she just great!). I know you'll find something that works well for you, and I hope you know what an AWESOME JOB your doing! Way to go!

Well, Firmies, I guess I need to heed my own advice. I tried a few days of back-to-back sculpting and learned my lesson. The muscles in my shoulders and lower back were killing me last night--way beyond the normal "I worked really hard" soreness. So, no more of that for me. I'm going back to alternating 3 days of cardio with 3 days of AWT. I did all cardio this morning--Maximum Cardio Burn and Calorie Killer, and am going to do all cardio tomorrow also, to really rest my muscles. Sunday's my day off then I'll go back to the weights on Monday. Lesson learned!:rolleyes:

Have a great Friday, everyone! You're all doing such a great job!:sunny:

Hello everyone! :wave:

I did the ab sculpt today along with the first half of the body sculpt. Of the 3 vidoes that came with the fanny lifter, I like the ab and body sculpt tapes better than the cardio sculpt one. I don't have anything against the cardio, it's just going to take me a bit to get used to the steps :teeth: .

Can I ask a quick question? If you do the ab or body sculpt, do you still do a cardio type exercise in the same day? I'm thinking it would be a little much on the muscles but I don't want to be a slacker either. Maybe I'll alternate the days between WATP and FIRM? Thanks!

Hey FIRMies - Happy Friday!

Well I got 5 new FIRM DVD's in the mail last night! The 5 that I didn't have from the 6 pack add on's from the original BSS1 system! I have 3 more I am waiting for, the add on's to the BSS2 system.

Last night I tried to do the Super Cardio Sculpt video which is about 45 minutes. The moves were really hard and I just couldn't keep up!! It was rather humorous! I think I was tired last night since I had a sculpt day yesterday, and that could have been why. We will see when I try it tomorrow. There were some cool moves in that one. They had a part where they would do all these steps then walk around to the other side of the step. It looked like a dance, and looks fun! They were moving pretty fast in this one!

Today is my rest day. Boy is it hard to make yourself rest. I did enjoy getting to sleep in until 6:30am though!

Cinmell- My motto is- Keep doing the one that gives you the most trouble! That is where you will see your best results. Make sure you don't do too many sculpt days in row! Keep mixing that cardio tape in between the sculpt days. You are doing great- Keep up the great work.

Kim- Ouch, hopefully you are feeling better now. I know I couldn't do two sculpt days in a row, but I seemed to do ok doing a C&S on Wed and a Sculpt only on Thursday. I think I would die if i did to Sculpt days back to back. My arm muscles always feel so good the day I do a pure sculpt day. Definately having a few all cardio days is great when you are sore. You are doing so terrific!!

toystoryduo - When you build up more endurance, you can try doing ab sculpt after body sculpt. Body sculpt has no abs, and I like doing an ab routine each day. Definately add cardio. You need the sculpt to add muscles to your body so you an burn more fat while resting, and you need cardio to burn fat while you are exercising. Both complement each other.

ZerasPride - Glad you stopped the tape when you did so you didn't miss your bus. That would not have been good. Keep up the great work!

sueg - I definately agree 30 minutes is great when that is all you have. That is a nice short workout! I really like it. Which longer FIRM ones do you have??

Castillo Mom - WELCOME to the thread! I agree that Target is the best place to look. Or a Modells or Dicks Sporting goods. The only set is the VHS with the fanny lifter only. At Target I saw it in the sporting goods section and it was about $39 for the fanny lifter and 3 video's. Then sell the video's on EBAY! Either way, that is still a decent price for the fanny lifter.

Keep up the good work!

FIRMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I own (& use) an antique set of FIRM tapes. It's a boxed set called The FIRM PARTS 4 Pack. The tapes are all compilation tapes: Standing Legs, Tough Tape 2, Upper Body & 5-Day ABS. I never really bonded w/ the AB tape. The Upper Body tape is about 40 minutes & is really the first FIRM tape that I mastered. It features Janet Jones-Gretzsky (Wayne's wife) as one of the instructors. TT2 is over 45 minutes and uses a dowel during 2 segments. I consider it a good challenging 45 min. tape. The most difficult tape of the pack, for me, is Standing Legs. It is only 42 minutes long, but when I started doing this tape, over a year ago, I was almost immobilized from leg pain. So I loaned it out to a co-worker, who kept it for 6 months. Now my ability level has risen and I recently completed it (on a Saturday) and was able to walk w/o pain the following day. (I've come a long way baby!)
I own BSS1 and heavily use Ab Sculpt & Body Sculpt. But I've made a pledge to work Cardio Scuplt (55 minutes) into my weekends. Since I bought Super Body Sculpt. I find myself preferring Stephanie Corley to Jen Carden. Super Body Sculpt allows me to do both Upper & Lower body (omitting Abs at the end) during the workweek. Currently, it's my favorite tape.
My newest tape is Cardio Sculpt Blaster. While it has been the cause of much lamenting, I'm hoping to master it & add it to my workweek routine.
Tomorrow is Saturday. I'm debating between Cardio Sculpt and Standing Legs. At the moment, Allie is winning the debate, but we'll see. SGG

Good Saturday Morning FIRMies-

Well today I did Compelete Aerobics and Weight training and added Super Cardio Sculpt. This was my 3rd time with Super Cardio Sculpt and I did better than the last two. I actually broke a sweat this time. The moves are getting easier, but I am still behind and can't get a few. I am determined to master it, lol!

Sueg- The FIRM parts 4 pack and the FIRM Super Cardio Mix are the next ones I am going to get. These are older, and the FIRM parts 4 pack is really old lol! You should try not ommitting the abs. I always did that too. I hated abs, despised them and always didn't do them. This time around, I am doing a lot of ab work and I can see huge improvements. I don't get neck pain anymore, and I can already see my upper abs getting more sculpted. If I breathe in while standing in front of the mirror I can see a line on each side.

Cinmell- I didn't answer your question before, sorry. Don't feel like you have to add a cardio. Your not supposed to, but I have been for a little extra intensity. Only do what your body feels comfortable with. Start out slowly. Body Sculpt and Cardio Sculpt are tough workouts!!

Have a great saturday everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter