Wish high end shopping - too many shops, too much space in each, and too empty

anricat

DIS Veteran
Why is so much real estate on the Wish devoted to high end watches, expensive jewelry, and overpriced handbags? And don't tell me "other cruise lines are like this" because we all know that DCL isn't "other cruise lines." Every time I passed by these shops they were empty or nearly so (and I'm not exaggerating). Meanwhile, the shop we know we all want on deck 5 was cramped, constantly full of people, too narrow, and always slammed. I wouldn't have a problem with a couple of high end shops, but these shops felt like wasted space in their spaciousness and quantity. Who is buying this stuff? Someone must or they wouldn't put it there, but it never seemed like anyone was in there while the shop with the actual Disney stuff was mobbed anytime it was open.

Good question. I had the same reaction on the Fantasy, which also has 3 shops selling high-end jewelry and accessories.
That's still fewer than the Wish. The Wish has 5 by my count: Treasures Untold, 3 Wishes, Once Upon a Time, Royal Regalia, Enchanted Castle Jewels. And it's not just the quantity, but when you look inside, they are vast and spacious. It just seems like a waste of space.

Every time I passed by it was empty or 2 or 3 people and even those looked like they were just
"window shopping". Yet you could barely get into Mainsail because of the crowds.

Going forward I wonder if the treasure will dedicate the same amount of space for high end products.

Last edited:
Why is so much real estate on the Wish devoted to high end watches, expensive jewelry, and overpriced handbags? And don't tell me "other cruise lines are like this" because we all know that DCL isn't "other cruise lines." Every time I passed by these shops they were empty or nearly so (and I'm not exaggerating). Meanwhile, the shop we know we all want on deck 5 was cramped, constantly full of people, too narrow, and always slammed. I wouldn't have a problem with a couple of high end shops, but these shops felt like wasted space in their spaciousness and quantity. Who is buying this stuff? Someone must or they wouldn't put it there, but it never seemed like anyone was in there while the shop with the actual Disney stuff was mobbed anytime it was open.

It doesn't seem like the right market for high-end jewelry either. How do I say this without being offensive? I would describe the average DCL cruiser as not being very "flashy." Obviously, there are lots of people sailing with a fair amount of disposable income (along with those who scrimp and save so they can splurge on DCL), but looking around the ships, I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of high-end jewelry consumers. I hope that they just thought the market was there because other lines do it, but find out they were wrong. Is Tiffany's still on the Fantasy? It was empty every day of our last cruise.

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like the right market for high-end jewelry either. How do I say this without being offensive? I would describe the average DCL cruiser as not being very "flashy." Obviously, there are lots of people sailing with a fair amount of disposable income (along with those who scrimp and save so they can splurge on DCL), but looking around the ships, I wouldn't expect there to be a lot of high-end jewelry consumers. I hope that they just thought the market was there because other lines do it, but find out they were wrong. Is Tiffany's still on the Fantasy? It was empty every day of our last cruise.
Perhaps, but it’s not just jewelry. And disney fans do collect stuff for sure. I saw a woman purchase 5 or 6 disney themed dooney bags in one store on the Wish!

Tiffany's is no longer on the Fantasy, but was apparently replaced by a shop selling similar merchandise. (I'm not sure which of the 3 stores replaced it.) There were a small number of Disney-themed items in these shops, but most of the stock was standard purses, bags, and jewelry without any Disney content.

The Dooney bags are sold in the other "Disney-themed" shops, along with some Disney watches and jewelry that would appeal to collectors.

This was my #1 complaint about the Wish. It's not that the other ships don't have some high-end stuff/shops, but it's the amount of space. And in my opinion, a lack of spaces to browse/buy "regular" souvenirs.
And then you have Triton's Lounge, which was teeny...I think the shops could be much smaller to allow for more entertainment/guest space that will actually be used.

I'm wondering how long it will be until Disney realizes that these shops aren't bringing in the $$$ and change them to something more attractive. I suspect the shops have a contract with DCL for some period of time (say a year) and pay a fee for the space plus a % of sales. So, either DCL or the merchant might decided its not worth it for them when renewal time comes up.

So all the high-end stores on the cruise ships pay the cruise companies to be onboard, and there is a good chance that they pay a percentage of each item sold as well.

I'm damn sure Disney is getting some very hefty payments from those shops, to the point that it is worth it to not replace it with their own merch shop.

So all the high-end stores on the cruise ships pay the cruise companies to be onboard, and there is a good chance that they pay a percentage of each item sold as well.

I'm damn sure Disney is getting some very hefty payments from those shops, to the point that it is worth it to not replace it with their own merch shop.

Ding ding ding! That's the incentive for DCL. They aren't giving up that real estate for nothing.

The appeal for visitors is that the high end goods are duty free at sea.
It's not the sort of thing I care about buying, but someone must or those shops wouldn't be paying to be there.

Some people shop for entertainment and/or out of boredom and when those people are a captive audience they buy things that maybe they wouldn't in other circumstances. I mean, how else do you explain that SkyMall was once a thing? I don't know anyone who bought anything from SkyMall but *someone* must have.

Ding ding ding! That's the incentive for DCL. They aren't giving up that real estate for nothing.

The appeal for visitors is that the high end goods are duty free at sea.
It's not the sort of thing I care about buying, but someone must or those shops wouldn't be paying to be there.

Some people shop for entertainment and/or out of boredom and when those people are a captive audience they buy things that maybe they wouldn't in other circumstances. I mean, how else do you explain that SkyMall was once a thing? I don't know anyone who bought anything from SkyMall but *someone* must have.

Skymall was very heavily used by business/first class, not Economy (but they supplied the entire plane). The target audience was/is executive travel.

Also, Skymall was effectively an advertising system for those items. They were not a store (though they sold things). All the items in skymall paid to put them in there.

The order in the air aspect of skymall was aimed at people travelling who didn't have time to find/buy gifts for people.

Every cruise ship I have been on since my first cruise 43 years ago had high end merchandise stores. Must make money or they wouldn't still be there.
Sort of like the art auctions.

We did go into treasures untold, and I did buy a Pandora necklace for my niece’s coming of age. They had some other nice clothes, etc. in there. And they were doing a pretty good business comparatively, that is to the other high end shops. 100% agree I could never get into mainsail until the last day because they were always 1000 people in there.

In the explain please? section is why I did I see Tommy Bahama clothing recently on the Wonder? I get the perfume/watches due to duty free. But who is the Tommy B clothing aimed at? It was a rather large section of the White Caps.

In the explain please? section is why I did I see Tommy Bahama clothing recently on the Wonder? I get the perfume/watches due to duty free. But who is the Tommy B clothing aimed at? It was a rather large section of the White Caps.
Tommy Bahamas has a Disney line, so there is a connection there. You can find their clothing in the WDW deluxe resort shops as well. I'm assuming there is a partnership in regard to retail space across Disney destinations.

As for the number of high-end shops on the Wish, my speculation is, with the number of concierge suites on the Wish, particularly of very high-end suites, perhaps these stores thought they had more of a market on the Wish than other DCL ships. I wandered into one of the shops one evening (my husband is a watch collector and wanted to see what they had) and the sales people seemed quite eager just to have a conversation with me. They seemed bored out of their minds. The selection in those stores is actually quite limited. Even if someone was in the market for a Bottega Veneta bag, the selection was incredibly limited and quite boring, IMHO. I felt like the shops were just for show in a way.

Even if DCL is getting money from these shops yo just be there, if those shops don’t earn the money that they gave to pay to DCL, they won’t stick around. Look at Disney Springs and how things have changed there. Some shops make it, others don’t. There are now more Disney run venues than originally planned because those are successful. I can totally see that we might see changes in a few years time. For example I think a version of the Disney Dress Shop selling these vintage inspired outfits would be a great hit on the Wish.

I love their silk shirts. They are great for traveling and hot weather. I don't buy their flashier patterns, but they even have some subtle Disney versions that I like, and I normally don't wear Disney apparel.

I am a little confused by your surprise that they sell them, since it is a brand associated with tropical vacations, it seems to fit perfectly. Most of the Disney resorts carry them too, as well as many hotels in tropical locations. It seems like a great fit for a cruise line sailing in tropical locations. I have never bought one on a cruise (never seen them), but have at the resorts.

Last edited:
My wife is a designer handbag collector and has saved a few hundred dollars buying vintage Gucci onboard Royal Caribbean ships. I'm sure she'll look for items on The Wonder next week. I love Tommy Bahama and wear their clothing regularly (including the Disney items). pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter