WISH Away the Pounds--January 2013 challenge--Everyone Welcome!

Oh! I forgot my something positive.

I am happy and healthy and deserve to be a "normal" weight.

I know, a bit corny but that's what you get when I'm put on the spot. :)

REMINDER:

Weigh in Days--Weight Loss
PM Weight to Rose&Mike
January 1 (starting weight AND pounds lost goal for month; ex 145, goal 5 pounds)

It is easiest for my if you put your weight and goal in the subject line. :)

Weigh in Days--Maintainers:
January 1 (pm starting weight, maintain range, and goal for the month; 145, range 141-149, goal 4 weeks)

Again, if you put the info in the subject line it will make it much easier.

QOTD--December 28, 2012
So since Jan 1 is still a few days off, I want you to start thinking about your goals.

Do you have a goal in mind for January, or even 2013? How did you come up with this goal? Is it based on pounds, inches, clothing size, or something else?

For the purpose of this challenge we are measuring pounds, so how does your goal fit in with the challenge?

Don't think so much about HOW you are going to achieve it yet, but think in terms of what is realistic and start breaking it down into smaller parts.

Share with the group what you would like about your goal.

My primary goal for January will be to lose the holiday pounds that I am SURE that I have gained in the last 7 days. Secondary goal will be to recommit to an exercise routine. It was really lacking this fall and while I've gotten back on track somewhat, it isn't at the level it should be.

Today's question involves more thinking. :goodvibes

We have started thinking about our goals. We are breaking them down into small achievable chunks.

Eventually we will start talking about how to work towards achieving those goals, but today I want you to think a little bit about your trigger foods.

One of the things I found when I lost the 50 pounds in 2010 was that there are some foods I just can't have in the house. Some foods I can eat when we are out only. Some foods that I just have to give up cold turkey. Some foods that I will binge eat or eat until they are out of the house. While I agree with many of the popular weight loss programs that say you can eat anything as long as it fits in the plan, I have personally found that some foods are hard for me to stop eating once I start.

QOTD December 29, 2012

Do you have trigger foods? Do you have a plan for dealing with them? Are you going cold turkey or can you eat them occasionally? Do you have certain things you just need to cut out of your diet for good?

While WW is so flexible that you really can eat ANYTHING (in moderation), there are definitely foods that I lose control around. Thankfully that list has gotten much shorter over the last few years. An open bag of peanut butter m &m's, an open bag of sweet potato chips, and movie theater popcorn are my current "problem" foods. I almost never buy m&m's unless it is for a specific reason or if I have planned them into my plan as a treat. I do NOT buy sweet potato chips any more...they aren't crucial to survival and I'm the only one in the house who likes them, so I am better off forgetting they exist. And we only go to the movies a few times a year, so I plan ahead for a splurge day if I want popcorn.

Good Morning!

QOTD December 30, 2012

You have weight watchers, nutrisystem, Dr. Oz, paleo, south beach, atkins, my fitness pal, etc. There are no shortage of ways to help you lose weight. I am a big believer in failing to plan is planning to fail.

So removing exercise from the equation (we will talk about that tomorrow) what is your plan?

Be as specific as you feel comfortable. Some of your fellow participants might get some good ideas.
:goodvibes

Most of you know I am a tried-and-true WW gal. That said, I watch my carbs more than the usual WW follower and I eat a pretty "whole" foods diet most of the time. Just because I "can" eat something, doesn't mean I should! I try to think a lot about what my body needs for fuel, muscle/bone building, etc when planning my next meal(s). I've read many, many, many weight loss and "eating for healing/health" books and have learned SO MUCH! I find that even if I don't agree with the eating plan recommended in a particular book, there is always something I can take away and learn.

Good morning!

Last day of 2012!

QOTD December 31, 2012

1. What is your exercise plan for this month? Do you have long term goals? I read something that said that women over 40 need 60 minutes of cardio a day. Which is overwhelming. And who knows if it is even true. But I do believe we need some form of exercise to lose weight and to stay healthy. :goodvibes

2. When we find ourselves in that position of needing to lose (in my case, again) it is easy to be negative and get down on ourselves. To play the shoulda, woulda, coulda game and to call ourselves all kinds of not nice things.
Starting today and for the entire month of January, I want you to say something positive about yourself. I would prefer that it not be--I am a good wife, mom, sister, cousin, aunt, etc.;) You can say it in a post, or just say it in your head or write it down in a journal, but I want you to make a conscious effort to say something good every day for a month. And if all you got for that day is I am a good Mom, then that's good enough.:goodvibes

I hope whatever you have planned for today, that you have a happy, healthy safe New Year!

I am off to the gym to get in my last run for the year on the treadmill. It is cold today!

I am still thinking about my January exercise plan. Not sure what it will look like yet.

I love the idea of the positive thoughts and affirmations!

Happy Monday friends! Wow! This thread has taken off on me! My IPad battery is low, so I don't have the time to do lots of replies, but here are a few that stick out....

LTS...feel better soon! IBS can be debilitating if not taken care of, so take time to take care of you!:hug:

Jen......yikes on the arm! Prayers for surgery and recovering going out now!:hug:

Kathy...so glad to see you here, and with such a positive spirit!:thumbsup2

Buffy...hope you can take some time to help your body heal. The wonton-soup-and-hot-tea diet sounds...interesting.:lmao:

Rose...let out that inner 2-year-old and then move on. You deserve an occasional tantrum....but now it is time to move on and make the best of the situation. Pinterest is a MARVELOUS source of recipes! Finding some new recipes might help the situation.:stir:

Returning friends...so happy to see so many familiar "faces" back with us"

New friends.....so nice to have you all here. This is a WONDERFUL way to start the first day of the rest of your (healthier) life!

Well friends....I'm scared to see what the scale looks like this week. It has been a stressful holiday week and being surrounded by treats has not helped. I didn't do anywhere nearly as well as I usually do. It was pretty much a full loss of control, I'm embarrassed to admit. That said, I've gotten in several workouts, which is usually a struggle for me.

I'll hopefully be back on later this evening to chat a bit more! .......P

Good Morning!

Two more days left in 2012. :)

Today we are going to talk some more about food. Tomorrow exercise and a bonus year end question. :)

QOTD December 30, 2012

You have weight watchers, nutrisystem, Dr. Oz, paleo, south beach, atkins, my fitness pal, etc. There are no shortage of ways to help you lose weight. I am a big believer in failing to plan is planning to fail.

So removing exercise from the equation (we will talk about that tomorrow) what is your plan?

Be as specific as you feel comfortable. Some of your fellow participants might get some good ideas.
:goodvibes

I found MFP to be the best plan for me. Thank you friends who mentioned it last year! :goodvibes

My goal is to really stick to my calorie intake .... and eat a lot healthier.

I had a little meltdown last night. One of those I want to quit everything meltdowns. I am pretty stressed about this race and things were starting to get a little over planned. Too many things we felt like we "had" to do marathon weekend. I have had insomnia for a couple of months now and I'm just starting to sleep again, so I think that is part of the problem. Anyhow, last night I decided I wasn't going. I am sick of running those really long distances. It is just not fun anymore. I am terrified of getting a new injury. I got a cold a few days before Christmas and have not run or exercised in almost a week. Basically my inner two year old came out last night. ;) We came up with a compromise that I think will work that involves more sleeping and less stress on the trip. I am planning a trip to the gym either today or tomorrow. :)

Hey .... it is OK to say ... I really don't feel like doing this any more for whatever reason .... and the next day, get back to it. I think I tend to feel this way about lots of things after I have done them for a while and I really don't feel like doing it again (... like the Christmas decorations I need to start putting away). We sometimes pigeon-hole ourselves and don't give ourselves some breathing room. You will be fine and make it to the marathon .... I just know it! ::yes::

Good morning!

Last day of 2012!

QOTD December 31, 2012

1. What is your exercise plan for this month? Do you have long term goals? I read something that said that women over 40 need 60 minutes of cardio a day. Which is overwhelming. And who knows if it is even true. But I do believe we need some form of exercise to lose weight and to stay healthy. :goodvibes

2. When we find ourselves in that position of needing to lose (in my case, again) it is easy to be negative and get down on ourselves. To play the shoulda, woulda, coulda game and to call ourselves all kinds of not nice things.
Starting today and for the entire month of January, I want you to say something positive about yourself. I would prefer that it not be--I am a good wife, mom, sister, cousin, aunt, etc.;) You can say it in a post, or just say it in your head or write it down in a journal, but I want you to make a conscious effort to say something good every day for a month. And if all you got for that day is I am a good Mom, then that's good enough.:goodvibes

I hope whatever you have planned for today, that you have a happy, healthy safe New Year!

I am off to the gym to get in my last run for the year on the treadmill. It is cold today!

My exercise goal is to do something everyday. It can be running, walking, Jazzercise or Yoga. I bought a Groupon for 20 Jazzercise classes. I haven't been there for years and figure this would be good during the really cold days I don't want to walk outside.

Positive: I am a good organizer.

ColoradoLime said:
Happy New Year's Eve!!!

For starters I'm walking a 5k tomorrow morning. It's a "Committment Day" theme put on by my gym, Lifetime Fitness and it's happening in about 30 cities across the country. I've done about 4 5ks this year and am going to increase that number in 2013.

I have been lax lately in going to the gym so I'm going to get back into the groove by going to some classes - most likely yoga and strength training. Part of my issue with not going is I don't currently live near my gym, but that will change in the spring when we move closer.

What I had the most success in sticking with is doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. It's a 20 minute workout you do every day for 30 days and there are three different levels so you can switch it up if you want. And really who doesn't have 20 minutes in their day to exercise?

I love 30 Day Shred!!! Sounds like it is going to be 6 mths before I can go back to those routines :(
Arm surgery scheduled for the 8th....said it is slow recovery and will take upwards of 6 mths before I am back to norm.....now to find a way to workout with one arm
Wondering if I wrap it tight to my body if I will be able to tolerate Zumba or something...... So frustrated

Well friends....I'm scared to see what the scale looks like this week. It has been a stressful holiday week and being surrounded by treats has not helped. I didn't do anywhere nearly as well as I usually do. It was pretty much a full loss of control, I'm embarrassed to admit. That said, I've gotten in several workouts, which is usually a struggle for me.

I'll hopefully be back on later this evening to chat a bit more! .......P
No matter what the scale says Pamela, I know you will be right back on track. I have felt really, really out of control as well. And I hate that feeling. But as we both know all too well, we cannot control everything and we both just need to do the best that we can. :goodvibes

Mary•Poppins;47039248 said:
My exercise goal is to do something everyday. It can be running, walking, Jazzercise or Yoga. I bought a Groupon for 20 Jazzercise classes. I haven't been there for years and figure this would be good during the really cold days I don't want to walk outside.

Positive: I am a good organizer.
Thanks for the kind words Fran. :goodvibes

Sounds like you have a great plan, too!

We are spending the night at home watching LSU beat Clemson! I think everyone in our house is expected to put on some Garnet & Black--for South Carolina--go Gamecocks! We root for SEC teams always and against Clemson--always!

I am cooking a pot of chili for chili fries (ok not that healthy, but I am skipping the hamburger ;) ) and we have a bottle of champagne and a bottle of Nuvo! I am so excited about the Nuvo--they have it at the kiosk at France in Epcot and it is yummy!

Thanks so much for the encouragement to join Pinterest. I think I am going to like it. :)

:wave2:

Count me in however I am going to have tone creative with my goals....tripped going up some stairs Friday and broke my arm :(
Will have to have surgery this week on it :(

What kind of a handicap can i get weight wise with full cast?!? LOL
Yikes! Good luck with your surgery and recovery. :hug:

Count me in. I have been avoiding this like the plague. Finally made the decision last month to start in January.

I will be using MFP to log my food and will be walking and doing yoga for my exercise.

Looking forward to spending the month with you all.
:wave:

Good morning!

Last day of 2012!

QOTD December 31, 2012

Exercise is not really on my list of priorities. My physical issues make it difficult so I really focus on the healthy eating. However I am planning to increase my activity at work. I have a desk job and I could sit there the entire day and never move more than a few feet. But I am going to make an effort to walk around the halls a few times a day. Use the bathroom upstairs and across the hall instead of the one right by my desk. Take the long way around when I have to go somewhere in the building. Park my car further away in the lot. Even just get up from my chair and stretch more. I am going to start wearing my pedometer daily and try to get at least 5000 steps a day. That is a pretty big goal for me.

For my positive today-- I am a very positive person. I am a glass half full and that means we have plenty of room to fill it to the top kind of gal!:yay: DH is a glass half empty and that means it will be gone soon person. :guilty: We do balance each other out. That is why my tantrum yesterday was not normal for me.

I did end up having my tantrum. DH caught me at the apex of my wallowing in self pity and I lost it. Cried on his shoulder for a few minutes, cursed and screamed (softly, the kids were in the other room) and then built my bridge and got over it. This morning I got up with my usual positive attitude, put on nice clothes, pulled my belt really tight (I have lost 10 pounds in the last month because of the IBS so my pants are falling off!:woohoo:), put on makeup and told DH we were going shopping! Returned some Christmas presents to Target, went to the mall to look at dishes (I need new ones), and then did all of our grocery shopping for the month at Costco and Walmart. Hopefully the only things we will need to go back for are fresh veggies, bread and milk. Tomorrow we will have to repackage the meat. We buy it in bulk and then spend a few hours putting it in meal size portions and freezing. Love my vacuum sealer!

Need to get some :laundy: done tonight and tomorrow. DD12 is at a sleepover and DD17 is stuck at home with us. Maybe we will do our nails tonight. I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone and bought some sparkly teal blue polish for Christmas. Put it on a few days ago and while I LOVE the color-- it is just not me. And it is too "flashy" for work anyway. I need to redo them in my usually pinks or reds. The girls are excited that they get to have the teal!

Everyone have a fun and SAFE New Year's Eve! party:

Ok third try

Has anyone used a fitbit or body media monitor? Want to get one but not sure which....

Diet - Eliminating white and counting all calories. I was really successful with this a couple years ago and maintained until the bursitis hit and I had myself a big pity party which included lots of food.

Exercise - I generally do zumba 4 times a week and would like to run, but the weather is preventing that, so I guess I'll be getting on the elipiticle 2-3 times a week. Thinking about a treadmill. I promised my Dr. that I would not run outside when it's icy or snowy.

My January goal is 5 lbs. Downloaded myfitnesspal app on my phone and kindle fire. I've also talked my friend into being my diet buddy and we will try to keep each other accountable.

Count me in! I am really looking forward to 2013 and moving closer to my long-term healthy goals.

After a excessively crappy 2011, I was VERY happy with 2012. I

1. lost 115 pounds
2. dropped A1c from 7.3 to 5.5
3. dropped cholesterol from 207 to 172
4. eliminated back pain despite 2 herniated discs
5. now look forward to exercise - walking, Zumba, swimming and even the elliptical
6. went from size 4x/30-32 to size XL-1X/14-16
7. am no longer morbidly obese
8. no longer dread going to the doctor
9. enjoy just plain leaving the house again

I'm looking forward to moving to Onederland in 2013 and from "obese" to "overweight" and even to "normal".

For January, I'd love to lose 8 pounds and get away from the 200's for-evah! I think that might be a bit ambitious, so I'm going to shoot for 5.

Count me in! I am really looking forward to 2013 and moving closer to my long-term healthy goals.

After a excessively crappy 2011, I was VERY happy with 2012. I

1. lost 115 pounds
2. dropped A1c from 7.3 to 5.5
3. dropped cholesterol from 207 to 172
4. eliminated back pain despite 2 herniated discs
5. now look forward to exercise - walking, Zumba, swimming and even the elliptical
6. went from size 4x/30-32 to size XL-1X/14-16
7. am no longer morbidly obese
8. no longer dread going to the doctor
9. enjoy just plain leaving the house again

I'm looking forward to moving to Onederland in 2013 and from "obese" to "overweight" and even to "normal".

For January, I'd love to lose 8 pounds and get away from the 200's for-evah! I think that might be a bit ambitious, so I'm going to shoot for 5.

WOW! :cheer2: That is awesome!!! Here is to another great year with more great accomplishements!:Pinkbounc

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! pixiedust:

count me in ...i will weight in the morning.....but I know i am at my heaviest weight ever ( non pregnant).....kinda scary......i will post weight and goal tomorrow am......................and Happy New Year

I have been gone for a few months, but still lurking every now and then. I actually hit my goal for the year, but I am still not done. I will PM my goals as soon as I get off work. Here's to an awesome 2013!!!:yay:

Add me to the list of people joining this challenge. I will send my goals later today and PM my weight.

Happy, Healthy New Year everyone! I am exited to have some Dis friends to help me stay motivated this month!

So I went to the DR last night and it's the flu. yay.

He gave me a script for robitussin with codeine in it. I need to get that filled today, the pharmacy was already closed last night by the time I got home.
I did manage to swing by Target and picked up a new nettie pot but I need to find distilled water, they didn't have any at Target.

Not how I wanted to start the new year but I do feel better today than I did yesterday. And other than DS12's friend calling at 11:30 last night (ERGH!!) I got a decent nights sleep.

I guess I should go make breakfast and get moving on my day. School tomorrow so we have the mad rush to get homework done.

Good Morning!!!

Well weighed in and back into the 170's :( would love to blame it on cast and clothes but I know I have been stress eating recently so am sure it is true...

Goal: drop 5lbs. Going to be tough since any physical activity (even walking) is causing an increase in pain to arm. Hoping that after they plate the bones back together that will improve.

Goal: exercise regularly...even if it is short Hoping I can stationary bike in the interm till arm is better

Goal:work on healthier eating

Really struggling because I want to give up before I have started because I am so frustrated with the arm but trying to remain positive and find the things I can do..... And enjoy y husband waiting on me and doing all the dishes and laundry!!!!!

Good morning everyone! Happy New Year! I weighed in this morning, not totally upset but it could've been better! I'm gong to start logging on MFP today too. I was 6 pounds lower mid-November when we weighed out for our work challenge. I'm hoping I can get back there by the first part of February.

Have a great day!
Kristin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!