#Wine&DineHalf: I'm Only Running for the Food & Wine FINISHED

oh my! Onion Rings were a bad choice before running!

Glad you got to enjoy your Parisian Breakfast (although I do think you all were insane for doing that event post race since the year I did that breakfast - well Shaun and I had to stumble back to the Beach Club very carefully where I sent text messages to friends about all the pine cones I avoided.....).

Glad you got some relaxation in!

That breakfast looks (and sounds) great ... I'm sorry that you didn't get to enjoy it (and the time with your friends) as much as you had hoped.

It was really yummy and fun...just wish we all felt better!

Random question: were you reading a red book at Stormalong Bay? My mom and I walked by there Saturday afternoon and I thought I could see you across the pool!

I was glad we saw you for a few minutes after the 10K, even if we did t get to run together!

believe I did...I need to look to see if my book has a red cover. My journal does and I know I took that with me!

oh my! Onion Rings were a bad choice before running!

Glad you got to enjoy your Parisian Breakfast (although I do think you all were insane for doing that event post race since the year I did that breakfast - well Shaun and I had to stumble back to the Beach Club very carefully where I sent text messages to friends about all the pine cones I avoided.....).

Glad you got some relaxation in!

Lesson learned...I have no idea why we even thought it was a remotely good idea with those things! We probably would have been in danger had we felt good with the mimosas...

Sunday: Best Day Ever

1. Wine & Dine Half

5 a.jpg

2. Completing Lumiere’s 2 Course Challenge plus an additional 3.1 miles

EPCOT_ECENTR1_20161106_7852547477.jpeg

I have always regretted in 2015 not doing the Glass Slipper challenge during Princess Half weekend. So this being my first RunDisney challenge, I can safely say it will not be my last (if my mind can conquer the body). I loved the challenge, but most of all I loved having Buffy there during the challenge!

3. The New Soarin

IMG_0900.JPG

I was never a huge fan of Soarin. I mean I liked it, but it was usually one and done for me during a trip. So I was not holding out any high expectations for the new Soarin. Let’s just say that I believe we ended up riding it 5 times on Sunday, back to back. I am totally in love!

4. Meet Up with Nicole

IMG_0898.JPG

I am so thankful that I was able to meet up with Nicole after one or our trips on Soarin. It was great see her and get a nice hug from her. Thanks Nicole for going out of your way to do something that meant so much to me.

5. Goofy Food Coma in Epcot with Wine & Dine After Party

germany faces.JPG

I had planned all along that Sunday would be my gluttoness (is that even a word?) food & drink coma in Epcot and it was! Although honestly, we did not make it past midnight at the after party! We barely made it to 10 pm, being up 20 hours, running a half marathon and walking our tails off in Epcot was a little too much for this old lady! But I sure had fun while it lasted. Lucky for you my videos ended up with no sound…

Ok I'm caught up!! Woot Woot!!
I totally forgot about the sunglasses, none of us noticed they were different! Hello Captain Obvious! LOL I wish I could have spent more time with y'all at the Parisian Breakfast, I was so looking forward to that. I didn't get to spend any time with Jan and Gretchen.
This was such a fun trip, even with a stomach bug and busted Achilles. I was in a much better place mentally and physically than I was for Princess and it made a huge difference.

I am so fandangled proud of you Tammie!! You knew what you wanted and what to do to get there. I can not wait to do it again.

Debra and Tammie were great travel partners. Could not have asked for a better group of ladies to hang out with!

Sunday sounds like an awesome day! I'm not surprised that you're planning/hoping to do another challenge ... from everything I've heard, those challenges are addictive. And of course it's always fun to experience the challenge with another awesome runner!

I was also a "one and done" person with the old Soarin', but now I'm really excited to see the new one. If it converted you to a multiple times per trip rider, maybe it'll convert me too!

Race Report
Wine & Dine Half 2016

1.JPG

LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO

Our 4th (and last) early wake up call for this run trip came without much fanfare. We were the first to the bus stop, which really paid off when we arrived to the WWOS parking lot staging area. There was literally no one there yet and we were able to get pictures with both Remy & Emile, plus Minnie & Mickey without hardly any wait!

5.JPG
Which was perfect considering I was dropping back a few corrals to run with Buffy again and we knew we had to be at the front of the corral. We parted ways with Debra soon after our pictures, made a last stop to the port-a-potties and entered the corral (which was a good thing we did because once you entered the corral you had to back track completely out of it to get back to them). We made our way up pretty easily to the very front and found a place just behind the barrier net on the curb to wait out the next couple of hours. Buffy and I waited the time in pretty much silence, either from being too tired or extremely nervous. We did notice that the 3:15 pacing group was in our corral and we decided that we would run the beginning of the race as far as we could to get away from the crowd and then when the pacing group caught up with us we would run with them. From where we were sitting we could see the entire staging area and were amazed with how many people were NOT in their corrals with the corrals started advancing, the lines for the port-a-potties continued to be huge even as corrals were being given the sendoff. We watched several people miss their corrals because of it and a few had to join the BACK of ours when we started advancing because they missed theirs because of how the corrals were set up. When it was time for us to advance, Buffy and I got to hold the tape “rope”…so much fun being in the front and actually seeing what was happening. Before we knew it, we were being sent off with all the fireworks and fanfare of a RunDisney event.

12 a.jpg

True to plan we started off with a slow run for about a mile and then settled into our run/walk interval. The crowds never seemed to thin out along Osceola Parkway and lots of people were running dangerously outside of the cones as the sun came up and the traffic began. Around mile 2 ½ the pacing group caught up with us and we joined into the massive wall of runners that was running with them. Jayne and the other Galloway pacer were wonderful. Heading into Animal Kingdom we hit the same very tight area as on the 5K near the bus area (someone behind us fell) before heading into AK on mile 3! It was crazy tight the entire way through AK and we did the best we could with the pacers, dodging and weaving out of people. Buffy and I continued with the pacers all the way through AK but somewhere around mile 6 we were separated at a water station and with the wall of runners we were never able to catch back up with them. It was also around mile 6, we met up with Betsy exchanged a brief hug and hello before moving along with our intervals. Buffy was really wanting to get a PR and we were totally on track with getting her one! The run around the sewer area was not as bad as everyone complains about, or maybe I am just used to odd smells living in cattle country and growing up near a packing plant and sugar beet factory, to me the grease smell behind Africa was far worse. There were also lots of complaints about the back road, but I actually enjoyed the area. The crowd thinned out and it was peaceful running through the wooded area, however between mile 8-9 I began noticing some discomfort with my Achilles along with the knowledge this is where I usually hit a wall. Turning the bend at mile 9 were the Sparkle Addict group with lots of treats! Those Skittles along with having Buffy right there were a life saver (and Amy texting)…never did I hit the wall and the highway stretch (and dreaded uphill exit at Epcot) the run went smooth. On the uphill cloverleaf we tried to get pictures with the Army man but he would not cooperate at all! I loved running the overpass this time around, because I could clearly see that we were in no danger of being swept and there were tons of people behind us, that was until about mile 11 ½ when my ankle gave way not enough to stop me but enough to slow us down to a walk most of the remaining 1 ½ miles. I urged Buffy to go ahead and make her PR, but she stayed right there with me as we finished. When we entered Epcot the adrenaline took over the pain and discomfort I was feeling and we finished strong.

60.jpg

As you can see by the smile in this finish line picture, I finally had the Run Disney race and finish that I always had dreamed for…a friend by my side! Immediately after those medals being placed on my neck my body took back over and I was not sure if I was going to make it back to the BC walking through Epcot, but I was determined to get a margarita…

IMG_0784.JPG

GRRR! We should have taken the bus back to the BC instead of hobbling through Epcot. I did settle for the Filet in Canada and a glass of that Apple Ice Wine.

1. Galloway Pacing Groups in almost every corral! It was awesome to finally have one where I was running!
2. Lots of character stops & entertainment (although we did not stop) it was nice just to pass by!
3. The quiet back stretch wooded area probably my part part of the whole race
4. Start at WWOS-no long hike to the corrals
5. Medals-did you know the Lumiere Challenge medal glows in the dark?

Dislike:
1. Running through Animal Kingdom again during the same race weekend
2. One lane running area on Osceola Parkway…they really needed to allow runners the entire side of the road…there was way too much congestion and nowhere to get around people for the first 6 miles of the half.
3. Smell behind Africa and running through the industrial area.
4. Mostly open road course...no real time in "DISNEY"

I'm here!! I'm here!!! I'm reading now. this was such a fun trip!!! I can't wait to do it again!

WELL IT IS ABOUT TIME....

Ok I'm caught up!! Woot Woot!!
I totally forgot about the sunglasses, none of us noticed they were different! Hello Captain Obvious! LOL I wish I could have spent more time with y'all at the Parisian Breakfast, I was so looking forward to that. I didn't get to spend any time with Jan and Gretchen.

I wish you would have too...I felt so awful for you.

This was such a fun trip, even with a stomach bug and busted Achilles. I was in a much better place mentally and physically than I was for Princess and it made a huge difference.

Me too...I think being in better places helped lots. I can't wait to see what happens during our next RunDisney adventure when we get this Achilles fixed!

I am so fandangled proud of you Tammie!! You knew what you wanted and what to do to get there. I can not wait to do it again.

Debra and Tammie were great travel partners. Could not have asked for a better group of ladies to hang out with!

Thank you Buffy...I finally feel like I got the trip and the run I had been wanting...well almost. There are a few things I want to tweak as I have learned more lessons...I am betting the next trip will be Perfect!

Sunday sounds like an awesome day! I'm not surprised that you're planning/hoping to do another challenge ... from everything I've heard, those challenges are addictive. And of course it's always fun to experience the challenge with another awesome runner!

I was also a "one and done" person with the old Soarin', but now I'm really excited to see the new one. If it converted you to a multiple times per trip rider, maybe it'll convert me too!

Sarah the new Soarin is beautiful...not sure why I like it so much more than the other.

Yay for a good half marathon! I'm so impressed that you kept going despite the pain and finished with a smile on your face! Sometimes having a friend with you really can make all the difference.

Yay for a good half marathon! I'm so impressed that you kept going despite the pain and finished with a smile on your face! Sometimes having a friend with you really can make all the difference.

I am pretty darn stubborn and the pain did not hit me until we walked back to BC through Epcot. I seriously was not sure that I was even going to make it. How I managed it a couple more days I am not sure. Now I am paying the price....

Egads woman I look awful in that finish line photo!! But you are smiling and I'm not dead so its a pretty terrific finish!!

Hold the rope!!! View attachment 213531

Sorry I could not get you to your PR (or even close to mine)...thank you for staying with me and not letting me quit back at mile 11 1/2. I am not sure how we made it that mile. It is an awful picture...but the smile really captured how I felt.

I think we would have been in pretty good shape if we didn't battle the stomach bug. Thanks ok though, we had a blast and the beaming smile is all that matters!!

Sunday: Eats & Drinks
Round 1-Afternoon Delights

I am sure the oreo and the banana were quickly eaten from my RunDisney food box sometime before we got to the parking lot. Buffy & I decided that we would walk back through Epcot and hopefully hit the Mexico Food Booth open, so despite the pain I was having in my Achilles we VERY SLOWLY made our way to Epcot, only to be denied of that margarita.

IMG_0784.JPG

So it was back in the direction of Canada, where we found the Canadian Food Booth open, eh? Needing an excuse to stop and rest my ankle I grabbed a the “Le Cellier” Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Migon with Truffle-Butter Sauce and a glass of the Apple Ice Wine…

1 Canada_filet and ice wine.JPG

The filet of migon was excellent and provided the much need salt that I was craving. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed in the serving size of the ice wine, until I took a sip. Yes, I knew it was ice wine and yes I knew it was going to be sweet, but holy cow this was jaw hurting sweet and I downed it like it was a shot before continuing on our slow shuffle to the BC.

After a shower, foot soaking in ice and a very liberal amount of tiger balm we headed off for what was billed to be “rolling and teetering” through Epcot Day. The mission was simply to enjoy anything (and everything) possible after the Wine & Dine Half Marathon until the After Party finished.

0 sign.JPG

I really considered making my first stop Yorkshire House for Fish & Chips, but decided that I was not going to get filled up my first stop…after all we had all day to stuff ourselves silly. Debra and Buffy went on to Canada, but I was not skipping a booth, we played that game on Thursday when we arrived and I was behind schedule on my plan! My first stop was Ireland, home of the Pumpkin Chai (spiked with Caramel Vodka) and the Warm Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream Liqueur Custard. …

2 ireland_spiked pumpkin chai warm choc pudding.JPG

I think this Chai had to be my favorite drink of the entire day! I really regret not going back and getting another one before I left on Wednesday. Although the Vodka was just dumped on top and being that I did not want to waste a drop I slurped it off the top instantly giving myself a happy feeling. I love Twinning’s Chai! The pudding (for us in the colonies, cake) was so warm and ahhh so chocolaty, and oh I think I licked the plate clean to get every drop of that custard.

My next stop was in Scotland, for a little savory to balance the sugar and vodka rush I was experiencing with the Potato pancake with smoked salmon and herbed sour cream…

3 scotland_potato pancake.JPG

All I have to say is blah and mushy. Next stop was Greece. I was very disappointed that the honey pistaco fried cheese from a couple years ago was not back, so I settled on the Loaded Greek “Nachos”…

4 Greece_loaded nachos.JPG

I was pleasantly surprised how good these are because A. they are vegetarian and B. there is no drippy cheddar cheese sauce. What you did get was a very salty Greek olive flavor and a nice crunch from the pita chips.

Round 1-Afternoon Delights (CONT)

We had a couple of fast passes to use on this time so we left World Showcase to ride Soarin and Spaceship Earth…a nice time to get off our feet. Afterwards we made to Australia where the smell of the Grilled Sweet and Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp with Pineapple, Pepper, Onion and Snap peas drew you in and of course I needed something sweet since once again they were out of the Shiraz that I wanted to drink.

5 australia_berry shrimp.JPG 6 australia_lamington.JPG

The shrimp did not taste as good as it smelled and I enjoyed the Lamington (yellow cake dipped in chocolate and coconut). Pretty forgettable bites. I forget why we skipped over the next few booths, other than we were getting tired and wanted to go rest our feet back at the BC (plus I believe Debra was headed somewhere else for a show, maybe DHS?). I stopped that the African Cool Post, because of Melissa’s recommendation of the Brown Elephant.

7 cool post_brown elephant.JPG

Oh my brain freeze! But oh so yummy and I love the African liquor that was in it! Certainly could use a few more of those! We all stopped at Joffreys (who else thinks of Toys-R-Us?), where I got my second spiked chai of the day, this time with Bailey’s Irish Crème.

8 joeffrys_spiked 8 chai.JPG

Gotta love those Irish for making such a yummy crème. I need to make this at home! Debra went on her way, Buffy stopped in Japan while I headed to Morocco. We met back up in between were I took a bite of her Spicy Tuna Roll…
9 japan_sushi roll.JPG

Okay, not a sushi fan and she shared a bite of my Spicy Hummus Fries…

10 moracoo_humas fries.JPG

I think I could have eaten several servings of these! Probably my favorite bite of the afternoon! We then made it back to the beach club for another round of icing, tiger balm and resting.

I think we would have been in pretty good shape if we didn't battle the stomach bug. Thanks ok though, we had a blast and the beaming smile is all that matters!!

I think we faired pretty well...you were a trooper.

I should have just yelled your name to see if you looked up. Lol! I wish we could have hung out more!

I wish you would have! I regretted not arranging more time to spend with you and your mom! We certainly have to do it next trip...plus now that I am a TA with the same travel company maybe we will get a few more opportunities!

SO MUCH GOOD LOOKING FOOD! You are making me hungry! Anyways I am back home so I can catch up on all the TRs I am missing out on and maybe start mine...

So much food! I'm getting hungry just looking at all the yummy dishes (and drinks, of course).

Round 2-Party Time Treats

I am not sure when we headed back to Epcot, but I know it was just a little before the party started because we had pictures scheduled with Mickey & the Gang.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

I am not a fan of character meets and greets, but I am so happy that we scheduled these! And of course we had to take a few more pictures with our medals at night!

4.jpeg

We then stood in a crazy long line to get our Party bracelets and then rode Soarin a zillion times (basically walk on) before making our way back to the real focus of the food. We stopped at New Zealand for the Steamed Green Lip Mussels…

5.JPG

Which were over steamed to the point that they were rubbery! Thank goodness the best bite of the night was up next in China, the Roasted Dusk in a Steamed Bun.

6.JPG

This little bite of goodness was so yummy! I wish I would have had about 10 of them that night! The fatty duck was perfectly seasoned and the bun so light and airy. My next bite was one I was looking forward to having again, the Korean Lettuce Wrap with Kimchi.

7.JPG

It did not disappoint! Just as good as I had remembered it! Things about this time took a little slap happy diversion, not because I had too much to drink but because I was getting way past tired and my ankle was throbbing. We ended up in Germany where the polka music was blasting and my inner German just had to come out, even before I started drinking that much anticipated Grapefruit beer.

8.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter