Windy?

wdwlovin'family

Mouseketeer
Is it always very windy on deck? I've been watching youtube movies of different things on board and it seems as if the wind is blowing into the microphone constantly, esp. when watching scenes from Goofy Golf. I'm almost wondering if we would need a jacket most of the time. What about by the pools? Is it less windy there since there are things to block the wind on that deck? Just trying to figure out how to pack.

Well, if the ship is going at 20 knots, you'll have a "wind" of about that . If it is a windy day, it can be more so.

Normally, the captain really books it at night...how fast we go during the day depends on how far we have to go and the speed needed to make the next port with a reasonable safety allowance.

We always find a jacket to be a good idea in the evenings.

Of course, it feels less windy when you are in areas where there are windblocks as opposed to more open areas.

As kcashner said, if the ship is doing 20 knots (pretty much the maximum it can), thats around 23 miles an hour, so it can be windy. Less so if the wind is behind the ship, more so if the wind is in front!
But factor in the air temperature (where are you cruising and when?) and even if windy it isn't always that cold.

The pools are a deck down with a deck circling them so that helps along with the funnels and windbreaks as kcashner mentioned.
It can be chilly of an evening or still very warm so depending on the time of year and wind direction a light jacket is a good idea!

DCL recommend "During the summer months, lightweight shorts, slacks, sundresses, jeans and tops are all appropriate daytime attire in the Bahamas, the Caribbean and Central Florida. In the winter and on cruises to cooler regions, a light jacket, sweater and socks may be needed."

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/preparing-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack/

How much air movement on a ship is dependent on which way the ship is moving in relation to the wind, and how fast each is moving. If the ship is moving directly into the wind, and the wind is say 15 knotts, and the ship is doing 10 knotts, the winds will feel like 25 knotts. If the wind is blowing across the deck, then 1 side of the ship will appear windy, while the other, in the lee side of the funnels super structure etc will apear almost non existint. If the wind is coming from the aft portion of the ship, depending on how fast each is moving, you may not notice anything at all.

We have seldomly needed a jacket of any sort on the ship [except in Alaska of course] and we have cruised in November, 3 times in December and 2 times in January. It is a warm breeze/wind on deck during the day if the sun is out usually. Avoid going outside on the way to dinner if you want pictures taken or your hair will have the windblown look.

I've been on 3 cruises--once in March, once in October, and once in January. It was always very windy on deck. Or rather, it ranged from a light wind to you-can't-stand-up wind (that was in March). On our January Dream cruise, to my family it was cold. We're Floridians, so any sort of wind chill requires a sweatshirt for us. One way or another, you can it expect it to be windy on deck when the ship is in motion, no matter the time of year. I would definitely pack a sweater for the evenings, if for nothing else.

We have done almost all our cruises in January and found that a light wind jacket or hoodie covers the night hours. Generally I pack the windbreaker that I use for golfing (packs small) and that has kept me plenty warm. If I get too cold I can always pick up another DCL zippered hoodie:cool1:. My coworkers think DCL should pay me for all the advertising I do:rotfl:

cgolf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter