Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I checked,this question was still unanswered.....is there new info out? The researchers discussed a couple of questions to be looked at, that was one, the other was can you be vaccinated,come into contact with an unvaxed person who is positive,and thus still be spreading it to others? OT I know, but I thought valid questions.

What people are referring to as being a “carrier” of Covid is the same as having an asymptomatic case of Covid. The vaccine The US is planning to use doesn’t contain Covid and doesn’t give you Covid, therefore, it can’t make you a “carrier” of Covid.

“FACT: COVID-19 vaccines will not give you COVID-19
None of the COVID-19 vaccines currently in development in the United States use the live virus that causes COVID-19. There are several different types of vaccines in development. However, the goal for each of them is to teach our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. These symptoms are normal and are a sign that the body is building immunity. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination. That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection.“

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...ov/vaccines/about-vaccines/vaccine-myths.html

What people are referring to as being a “carrier” of Covid is the same as having an asymptomatic case of Covid. The vaccine The US is planning to use doesn’t contain Covid and doesn’t give you Covid, therefore, it can’t make you a “carrier” of Covid.

“FACT: COVID-19 vaccines will not give you COVID-19
None of the COVID-19 vaccines currently in development in the United States use the live virus that causes COVID-19. There are several different types of vaccines in development. However, the goal for each of them is to teach our immune systems how to recognize and fight the virus that causes COVID-19. Sometimes this process can cause symptoms, such as fever. These symptoms are normal and are a sign that the body is building immunity. Learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work.

It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination. That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection.“

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...ov/vaccines/about-vaccines/vaccine-myths.html
I don’t think it’s that simple (but it would be nice if it were).

Say someone who is fully vaccinated is exposed to someone with Covid, long enough to take on a viral load, say, in their nostrils, or on their hands. That person has an excellent chance (~95%) that they will not become sick from Covid.

However, what happens if the person then sneezes in a room next to someone who has not been vaccinated, or doesn’t wash their hands and touches the face of someone who hasn’t been vaccinated (let’s say they help a child clean their face or blow their nose). Then what? That is the question, I believe, that no one can answer right now.

And also why preventative measures will likely need to be continued even after people start becoming vaccinated.

The issue has not been studied yet, but will have to be.

I posted this yesterday on another thread - what the CEO of Pfizer has to say about it from a recent Dateline interview.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...certain-covid-shot-prevents-transmission.html
Pfizer's coronavirus jab may not prevent vaccinated people from spreading coronavirus, the firm's chairman admitted this week.

'I think that's something that needs to be examined. We're not certain about that right now,' said Albert Bourla, when asked by Dateline's Lester Holt about whether the shot would prevent transmission during the interview, which aired Thursday night.

Clinical trials found the shot to be 95 percent effective at preventing people from developing COVID-19, which could mean stemming the pandemic's deadliness and burden on health care systems worldwide.

But Pfizer didn't collect data that would show whether volunteers who got its shot transmitted the virus (nor have other companies offered such data), so it's possible that highly-contagious virus could continue spreading after we have vaccines.

I look at it this way: The vaccine may have a small chance of an unknown side effect that may or may not show up for years, or even decades. Meanwhile, Covid causes known problems ranging from blood clots to strokes to long term disability that may impact my life right now.
This sums up my thoughts very well. Covid is very easy to contract, and it carries very real long-term dangers. The vaccine has a remote possibility of future dangers.

I'll protect myself from KNOWN dangers now rather than POSSIBLE boggie men in the future.
I have an autoimmune reaction to the flu shot, so I'll be curious to find out what my doctor advises me to do.
I think we all understand that a certain % of the population will be uneligible for the vaccine. That's a whole different thing from saying, "No, I choose not to take the vaccine."
A friend of mine had Covid early on and is still dealing with the long term affects. He is in his 40's, healthy and had no risk factors. So for me, I am MUCH more worried about the long term affects of getting Covid than I am of the shot!
Yes, I know a couple people -- some young, some not so young -- who have been suffering from lingering after-effects of COVID for months (and see no relief on the horizon). I'm not 'specially afraid of having a flu-like disease for a couple weeks, but I am afraid of COVID's lingering, long-term effects.
Everyone (I've discussed with) plans to get it. Thank God!
Yes, the discussion here isn't "if" ... it's "when, where, how, and how long do we need to wear masks afterward."
Even if some minor to moderate side effect pops up, which I seriously doubt, it can’t be worse than lying on a hospital bed with a ventilator waiting to die and unable to see your family.
This is just common sense.

Consider, too, those of you who are saying you want someone else to be the guinea pig ... my relatives in the UK say that British citizens are going to begin taking the shot on Tuesday, December 8.
We were discussing at work the likelihood it will be required. One firmly said he will never get it. The union rep quickly said, “Well then I guess you won’t be working here anymore.”

Proof of vaccination is going to be a thing. The writing is on the wall for those who are willing to read it.
I do expect the vaccine will be required for schools -- and some businesses will choose to require it as well.

Totally agree that "proof" is going to be a thing for a while.
I don't think vaccines will become mandatory for travel, concerts, etc., especially as more and more people get the shot. Businesses are too worried about their profit margin to sideline a chunk of potential customers, especially if the majority have had the shot.
You make a good point about businesses caring about the money, and many would like to rebound after a difficult 2020.
But consider the other side of that coin: I'm more likely to shop at places where I feel safe, and I would feel safer if I knew my fellow shoppers were "safe". This would really matter for airlines, cruise ships, etc. -- places where we'd be in close contact for a long time.
Oh please with all the righteousness people. We have no duty to inject ourselves with anything to protect you. You hold no moral high-ground here, the reason you are getting the vaccine is to protect yourself first and foremost. You aren't doing it for anyone else and you know it.
We have a duty to behave as responsible citizens -- we already vaccinate ourselves against Whooping Cough, Measles, and more. This is an extension of that concept.

Taking the vaccine will protect ME -- of course, no argument -- but it will ALSO protect the students in my classroom, shoppers at stores I frequent, and fellow restaurant patrons. It's a win-win. Why put that down?
YES. The same people who told you masks and social distancing work are the ones telling you it's safe and incredibly important to get vaxxed.
Well, in all fairness, I think we all know that masks and social distancing don't make us totally safe; rather, they reduce the risk to the point that going out in public is a reasonable choice. The vaccine will be a more solid protection.
Agree I see it as a civic duty to be vaccinated as it needs an 80% uptake to be effective.
Agree. We're in this together. We have to cooperate to solve the problem.
As long as there's no line, I'll be there
Okay, that's fair. It'd be disappointing to contract COVID while waiting in line for a COVID vaccine.
If I went to get the vaccine and saw a line, I would leave and come back later /perhaps at an off-time.

this is my point..... I didn't say it could *cause* the virus.... what researchers have mentioned is STILL a question is...If you get the vax, can you still be exposed,and be an asymptomatic carrier? As in, you are vaxed (and hopefully protected) BUT you may still be able to carry/transmit it to others.... as far as I know, this is still unanswered. (along with a number of other important questions) and let's just hope (and pray) that it actually provides actual immunity,unlike the flu shot which is debatable at best. (when they advertise ahead of time "we got the wrong strain for this year but we advise you get it anyway)

I don’t think it’s that simple (but it would be nice if it were).

Say someone who is fully vaccinated is exposed to someone with Covid, long enough to take on a viral load, say, in their nostrils, or on their hands. That person has an excellent chance (~95%) that they will not become sick from Covid.

However, what happens if the person then sneezes in a room next to someone who has not been vaccinated, or doesn’t wash their hands and touches the face of someone who hasn’t been vaccinated (let’s say they help a child clean their face or blow their nose). Then what? That is the question, I believe, that no one can answer right now.

And also why preventative measures will likely need to be continued even after people start becoming vaccinated.

The issue has not been studied yet, but will have to be.

I posted this yesterday on another thread - what the CEO of Pfizer has to say about it from a recent Dateline interview.
this. :teacher:

Will get it as soon as I can.

It will be interesting how this plays out. Those that have been vaccinated will not feel the need to wear masks, distance, etc. But by not doing those things, others that have not been vaccinated will be less inclined to do so. I would think, that even after you have been vaccinated, you will still need to wear masks, etc until the herd immunity has been achieved.

Will get it as soon as I can.

It will be interesting how this plays out. Those that have been vaccinated will not feel the need to wear masks, distance, etc. But by not doing those things, others that have not been vaccinated will be less inclined to do so. I would think, that even after you have been vaccinated, you will still need to wear masks, etc until the herd immunity has been achieved.
I think this is exactly why they are trying to downplay the vaccine. Which could turn out to be a dangerous self fulfilling prophecy.

Yes and I am even more anxious for my DD/SIL (both HCW) and elderly parents to get theirs asap. I'm a teacher, DH has HBP, and our teens both have asthma. We will wait in line to get this.

Yes, I understand the purpose. I just really think some of you are being very naive if you think that it’s sole purpose is to remind you to get your second dose.
This isn’t like any other vaccine. This is specifically about COVID which has shutdown the world and supports the ideas of digital health passports for the future.
Have you never had a reminder card for a vaccine? Most of us never think about it because we get one shot and we're done.

I understand if you personally feel it will get to that point, I can't agree or disagree about what will happen because I don't know. I think many of us have already started thinking what if I'm required to prove I've been vaccinated, but them announcing this should only be seen right now as innocuous. It's a process that has already been used before. How else do you propose they try to ensure everyone gets both doses?

This is more a measure of pharmacovigilance than anything else. I prefer not to look at it as something sinister. But if Covid is still spreading a lot after vaccines are readily available - this will allow them to see if people received the right number of doses at the right time and which manufacturer provided the serum. It also helps with catching side effects not seen during clinical trials.

Thank you!

I intend to get the vaccine as soon as I am able to, and I feel like the benefits to getting it go without saying. I do wonder about the reasoning people have for not doing it. (Not that anyone owes me an explanation). Do they believe the things going around like tracking us or altering our DNA are true? Are they afraid of the long term side effects, and if so do they feel like we should continue this way of living for the foreseeable future (weeks, months, years?). Do they not have vulnerable people in their lives? (Some people don't, I assume). I don't post a lot because I'm worried that someone will take what I say the wrong way and it will create a whole issue, but I'm genuinely curious.

I don't post a lot because I'm worried that someone will take what I say the wrong way and it will create a whole issue, but I'm genuinely curious.

Don't worry about that. It doesn't matter what your opinion is, someone is going to take offense with it.

You pretty much laid out a lot of the reasons why one will flat out refuse to get the vaccine. But you forgot the one that baffles me the most. Those that do not believe COVID is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter