Will we regret January 1-6?

Lane308

Earning My Ears
Hi! We are a family of 5 tentatively planning our first trip to Disney together - kids would be ages 7, 9, and 11 when we traveled. (Husband and I have been there but not for many years!) Due to our schedules our options are a little limited, but the first week of 2020 is wide open and I was thinking it would be a lot of fun to surprise the kids at Christmas and travel during a week we usually don’t have much going on. I know it’s a busy time at the parks. I’ve read some posts on a Facebook group today reporting this past week was insane at Disney and now I’m getting nervous. Will we regret traveling the first week of next year? Pros for me are the weather (we live in the mountains and do not like extreme heat- we’d all be fine if we needed coats!), the time we all have off that week, starting the year doing something magical together - and the fact that the parks would still be decorated when we arrived is kind of fun. But - give it to me straight? Too crazy with three kids .... or doable with patience and planning?

We did an early January trip in 2016. It was a great trip. If I'm remembering correctly the daytime temps were in the 70's the nights in the 50's. I don't remember it being terribly crowded but we've never let crowds ruin our fun. Get your FP's, dining reservations and enjoy your trip.

I wouldn't recommend that week for first timers.

We were in the parks, Dec. 23 - Jan. 4th. I found the crowds/lines to be about the same last week of December/first week of January. We had the same experience two years ago as well.

If you understand that it's going to be bonkers crowded, I say go for it. Pack your patience, book FPs, and make ADRs.

But it will probably be even more bonkers crowded with Galaxy's Edge being open.

The upside to having one of your first trips be a bonkers crowded time, every other visit will seem easy.....

I wouldn't do it. That level of crowds would be awful for many people, but IMO a first trip you especially want to see so much. Between the holiday, and GE being newly opened I am confident the crowds will be insane insane and I would not find that enjoyable with kids.

It can depend on school calendars. When New Years is in the middle of the week, a lot of schools give the entire week off - which means more crowds. That's what all of the districts around here are doing next year. As long as you're ok with crowds and planning ahead with Fast Passes, go for it!

I don't think you can go to WDW without crowds anymore. The second week of December used to be very quiet, no longer. Crowds are a part of life at Disney but planning ahead and being prepared can make all the difference. I can't believe the number of people who show up Christmas week and stand at the entrance with maps in hand deciding where to go first. Understanding the layout of the park makes a huge difference when visiting at high times. "Zig" while everyone "zags" and you'll have no problem.

There are absolutely less busy times of the year, but realize they are not feasible for everyone. But, for first timers - especially your age children, would not go at that time.
Would potentially be too disappointing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter