Will ToT change at WDW?

Oh my, but Universal Studios would be so much better off with more of their original attractions than their recent replacements which bombed. I'm thinking of the fast & furious ride and the Jimmy Fallon one. They're both terrible. And I think they are both going to feel dated very quickly (if they don't already) whereas attractions based on older iconic movies would always age better. I'm hoping Universal can see the error of their ways and replace those new attractions before they mess with any of the older stuff.

I think it would be a big mistake for Disney to get rid of too many attractions based on the timeless classics for "popular IP of the moment" stuff the way Universal has done. Nostalgia will always sell, but "new and shiny" IPs wear off. I think Universal is setting themselves up to get bitten by this. Of course, it does help to actually build high quality fun attractions that are fun even if you don't care about the IP.

Seeing what they replaced at Universal in those two cases it was really neutral. No one was clamoring for Earthquake or Twister.

Seeing what they replaced at Universal in those two cases it was really neutral. No one was clamoring for Earthquake or Twister.
I loved both of those rides. One of my favorite Universal memories was walking out of the park by Earthquake, and the guy standing outside said, "Do you want to go on?" It was the last ride of the day, and it wasn't full, so it was even better than a walk-on. And the ride itself was pretty cool. This was back when Universal put a bigger focus on showing how movies were made along with the rides. That's something that's sorely missing at Universal nowadays.

I'm not sure whether I agree in the short term, but I definitely disagree in the long term... Universal would be better served by those classic attractions with nostalgia factor than a bunch of flashy misused tech with IPs that feel dated.

Also they did spend multi millions of dollars to replace them, with attractions that are actively disliked. Considering that, it wasn't a neutral move but a huge mistake. Disney doing this would be an even more terrible choice as nostalgia is a much bigger factor to Disney guests.

Though really, the key thing is making sure the replacement is actually a fantastic experience.

I'm not sure whether I agree in the short term, but I definitely disagree in the long term... Universal would be better served by those classic attractions with nostalgia factor than a bunch of flashy misused tech with IPs that feel dated.

Also they did spend multi millions of dollars to replace them, with attractions that are actively disliked. Considering that, it wasn't a neutral move but a huge mistake. Disney doing this would be an even more terrible choice as nostalgia is a much bigger factor to Disney guests.

Though really, the key thing is making sure the replacement is actually a fantastic experience.

Which is ironic as the man who created the park didn't want it to be a museum...

When and if the creative side wins the control war, when and if the finance side supports all that creatives want to do only then will iconic rides rise once again. ToT being remodelled is unavoidable while the finance side is in charge as a way of lowering costs, real or perceived. There just is not enough cross over revenue from the Twilight Zone to justify keeping it.

I loved both of those rides. One of my favorite Universal memories was walking out of the park by Earthquake, and the guy standing outside said, "Do you want to go on?" It was the last ride of the day, and it wasn't full, so it was even better than a walk-on. And the ride itself was pretty cool. This was back when Universal put a bigger focus on showing how movies were made along with the rides. That's something that's sorely missing at Universal nowadays.
I disagree I love what they have become. IMO they do a great job of mixing thrills with family rides.

As far as IP goes for my family it's secondary. The more important thing is how good the ride is. For us Forbidden Journey is up there with Disney level attractions and we don't even like Potter. Velicoaster is one of the best coasters, even if it had no IP it would still be up there. Whatever happened to liking a ride for how great it is, not cause of the IP

I disagree I love what they have become. IMO they do a great job of mixing thrills with family rides.

As far as IP goes for my family it's secondary. The more important thing is how good the ride is. For us Forbidden Journey is up there with Disney level attractions and we don't even like Potter. Velicoaster is one of the best coasters, even if it had no IP it would still be up there. Whatever happened to liking a ride for how great it is, not cause of the IP
Ok, but Universal was built on the premise of "riding the movies". IP was central to the entire concept. I think Disney ride concepts and Universal ride concepts are really apples and oranges. Disney should really have a bit more leeway creating things just for the parks, while Universal is entirely built around a movie studio, which is why it was fun to not only ride the rides, but also get a glimpse behind the scenes.

Ok, but Universal was built on the premise of "riding the movies". IP was central to the entire concept. I think Disney ride concepts and Universal ride concepts are really apples and oranges. Disney should really have a bit more leeway creating things just for the parks, while Universal is entirely built around a movie studio, which is why it was fun to not only ride the rides, but also get a glimpse behind the scenes.
At the beginning of the park that worked but as soon as DVDs became a thing and they all had the extras on how movies were made many guests were no longer interested in that.

At the beginning of the park that worked but as soon as DVDs became a thing and they all had the extras on how movies were made many guests were no longer interested in that.
DVDs were a thing when I first went. It did not negatively impact the experience at all. You were made to feel like you were part of the movie making process, as opposed to being a character in the movie. I would take any one of those early rides over Fast & the Furious today.

DVDs were a thing when I first went. It did not negatively impact the experience at all. You were made to feel like you were part of the movie making process, as opposed to being a character in the movie. I would take any one of those early rides over Fast & the Furious today.
For fast and the furious and Jimmy Fallon yes. I would not trade in the Mummy, Diagon Alley or Velicoaster

Disney should just straight out buy the rights to the Twilight Zone from CBS (or whomever owns it). CBS isn't doing anything with the property; the library is worth something but not a ton - I can't imagine the acquisition would be terribly expensive. But for Disney, it's particularly valuable: then, much like at Pandora after having purchased Avatar IP, Disney would essentially be writing a check to itself for the rights to the intellectual property. This reduces the rationale/"need" to replace an attraction that is already perfect as is, and in some ways, even nearly 30 years after its introduction, remains the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering at its most creative and brilliant.

The Aerosmith theming is the most confusing to me. I mean, they were washed up in the 90s. And what did they ever have to do with Hollywood or Disney?

The Aerosmith theming is the most confusing to me. I mean, they were washed up in the 90s. And what did they ever have to do with Hollywood or Disney?

They were actually having quite the comeback resurgence in the 90's. I think the idea is that record producers are also mostly in Hollywood, so it was something different but still in the theme.

They were big in the 90s. They had the trilogy of videos starring Alicia Silverstone ("Cryin" was the first one and the last one was "Crazy" with Liv Tyler), and then "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" from Armageddon (again starring Liv Tyler) was a huge hit for them.

They were big in the 90s. They had the trilogy of videos starring Alicia Silverstone ("Cryin" was the first one and the last one was "Crazy" with Liv Tyler), and then "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" from Armageddon (again starring Liv Tyler) was a huge hit for them.

Yeah, Get a Grip is actually their best-selling album - 1993. It was big! Nine Lives wasn't bad either, but doesn't get as much recognition.

I agree Aerosmith theming fit in very well for the Disney-MGM Studios Park of 23 years ago. And most today do still recognize their name and their songs... music is timeless (at lest for a few decades - go back to pre 50's and I'm not as much of a fan). Imaging if Disney had picked some of the bigger rock bands of the 90's that only had a hit or two and are no more today. But I bet Disney has four of five proposals for a change up of Rocking, once they feel it's time to do it.

As for Tower of Terror changing... Would depend a lot on the newer Scarlett Johansson' Tower of Terror movie that Disney seems to be investing a lot into - Johansson star, Taika Waititi directing and Josh Cooley Script. Very possible that the Twilight Zone aspects could be dropped from the film and the ride, and a new pre-show created. Along with changing the travelers in the middle scene and few new props in the transition scene. But on the whole it would still be a spooky old hotel... with a broken down elevator. I don't see them making a theming change to something different like they did at DL. (but what do I know - could change Rocking to the long promised Monster's Inc Coaster and make Tower an Inside Out attraction and and Beauty and Beast could become a Coco show.... change Sunset Ave to a "new" Pixar Place? Change happens....

If they were EVER to drop the Twilight Zone theming (which is doubtful IYAM), you could still keep it pretty much the same and port over the SEA theming from Tokyo. Unlike Disneyland, you can really never change much of the façade. There's a reason the building looks the way it does, and that's all thanks to the Morocco pavilion in EPCOT.

If they were EVER to drop the Twilight Zone theming (which is doubtful IYAM), you could still keep it pretty much the same and port over the SEA theming from Tokyo. Unlike Disneyland, you can really never change much of the façade. There's a reason the building looks the way it does, and that's all thanks to the Morocco pavilion in EPCOT.

Yeah, I think even if they were to drop Twilight Zone from it, it would still be a spooky hotel with the same basic story. It would only require a change to the pre-show, a few effects/props, and some of the audio.

I want to say they dropped the twilight zone IP in Paris fairly recently and was curious to know how much longer Disney has license to use the IP….

While I don’t see mission breakout happening as we just got a GoTG attraction I wouldn’t mind a new original storyline (or clone Tokyo’s tbh)

Though most likely it’s just cause the billboard is in disarray and there are plenty of newer attractions in DHS they don’t need the promotional material anymore
Just interested - what is the Tokyo park storyline? ToT is one of my classic favorites

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter