Will ToT change at WDW?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
with the demolition of the ToT sign outside of WDW having recently taken place, do you guys think it means anything for the future of the attraction? I will SOB 😭 if they re theme it to Mission Breakout like at Disneyland. Of course it could mean absolutely nothing... it's just weird they decided to take it down

My guess is to why they removed the sign is because they didn't want to bother fixing it. I noticed that it wasn't moving on my trip in May and I saw others point out that it hasn't worked in years. Why would they spend the money to fix a sign when they won't even fix some of their broken and/or rides in need of a refurb like Dinosaur and Spaceship Earth?

I like Mission Breakout but I don't want it to be rethemed in Florida. ToT is one of the only remnants of the "classic Hollywood" theming of the park.

TOT is my favorite ride. I’ve done Guardians at DCA and have to say it’s slightly better because of the music and rocking. I doubt they will change it at DHS since they have the new ride at Epcot.

Why is it that people have to read stuff in to the slightest things? A billboard was taken down.
That has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the ride itself. What would make one jump to the conclusion that they are going to change the ride? I just don't even get why that enters ones mind?

Now, that said, I'd be ecstatic if they changed ToT to Mission Breakout. They won't, they've got Guardians and they won't have Mission Breakout too. But honestly, as much fun as Guardians is, Mission Breakout was much better, as a ride goes. It had a much better "fun" factor. I could spend (and almost did) all day riding Mission Breakout. and not get tired or bored. While I didn't suffer from motion issues with Guardians it is not something I could ride all day. It's more thrilling than fun. So yeah, I think for use of the IP, DL wins.

But, they aren't doing anything with ToT. They just took down a billboard. That's it

I want to say they dropped the twilight zone IP in Paris fairly recently and was curious to know how much longer Disney has license to use the IP….

While I don’t see mission breakout happening as we just got a GoTG attraction I wouldn’t mind a new original storyline (or clone Tokyo’s tbh)

Though most likely it’s just cause the billboard is in disarray and there are plenty of newer attractions in DHS they don’t need the promotional material anymore

A continuing slow erosion of the brand, and of park history. Management decides not to invest in repairs of the sign, a low murmur of discontent subsides. Then the sign gets taken down, due to the low murmur dissolving after some time. Now the sign is gone, the purpose of denying repairs to begin with as a method of undercutting a star attraction. No perceived value by the management. Chasing the 20-somethings demographic, who are the few with the change to buy park tickets today, ensures the continuing evolution to Six Flags type operations. Is ToT going to be re-themed? You betcha, keep those licensing dollars in house. Just need to identify specific steps to wean people away from the backstory. Removing the biggest reminder is step one. Now the ToT is just one ride among many. Step two is defer maintenance, so that people who go to the parks today will remember it as a broken down has-been. Step 3 is to "rebuild" it as Mission Breakout - a whole new ride!

A continuing slow erosion of the brand, and of park history. Management decides not to invest in repairs of the sign, a low murmur of discontent subsides. Then the sign gets taken down, due to the low murmur dissolving after some time. Now the sign is gone, the purpose of denying repairs to begin with as a method of undercutting a star attraction. No perceived value by the management. Chasing the 20-somethings demographic, who are the few with the change to buy park tickets today, ensures the continuing evolution to Six Flags type operations. Is ToT going to be re-themed? You betcha, keep those licensing dollars in house. Just need to identify specific steps to wean people away from the backstory. Removing the biggest reminder is step one. Now the ToT is just one ride among many. Step two is defer maintenance, so that people who go to the parks today will remember it as a broken down has-been. Step 3 is to "rebuild" it as Mission Breakout - a whole new ride!
Well, good thing you’re not reading too much into this.

Why is it that people have to read stuff in to the slightest things?
why is it that you feel the need to be rude to strangers on the internet? not just in this post but I've seen several threads where your responses are less than kind. This question was just for fun if you aren't interested you don't need to comment. Next time you want to be snarky to someone behind a keyboard, think about how you would speak to them in real life or how you would react if someone spoke to your child like than when they asked an innocent question.

why is it that you feel the need to be rude to strangers on the internet? not just in this post but I've seen several threads where your responses are less than kind. This question was just for fun if you aren't interested you don't need to comment. Next time you want to be snarky to someone behind a keyboard, think about how you would speak to them in real life or how you would react if someone spoke to your child like than when they asked an innocent question.
My question would be exactly the same in person. My child wouldn't ask such a question

I truly believe it's only a matter of time before we loose all non-IP ride related content. ToT and RnR are in the crosshairs because they have outside licensing to be paid and renewed periodically.

I'm a big fan of the rides that don't have Disney movie tie ins, but the IP synergy with current Disney is a death sentence for these rides over the long haul. It gets lost in a question of a refresh or "can we do them better", they should be spending their resources on new rides - not killing successful ones because they think they can sell a few extra t-shirts...

I appreciate your inquisitive nature (especially as you didn't just state ___ is happening). It's good to wonder. I worry about adults (and kids) who supposedly would never wonder - how can they use their imagination if they're so tied up in what is?

My guess is to why they removed the sign is because they didn't want to bother fixing it. I noticed that it wasn't moving on my trip in May and I saw others point out that it hasn't worked in years. Why would they spend the money to fix a sign when they won't even fix some of their broken and/or rides in need of a refurb like Dinosaur and Spaceship Earth?

I like Mission Breakout but I don't want it to be rethemed in Florida. ToT is one of the only remnants of the "classic Hollywood" theming of the park.
They fixed it last year, but it either stopped working or they shut it off a short time later.

Never say never. We all said they'd never close the parks in 2020...anything is possible as we have seen.

Never say never. We all said they'd never close the parks in 2020...anything is possible as we have seen.
Anything is possible, but we all know that, although Disney is not afraid to change things, and they continue to, they'll never not follow the money on one of their most popular rides.

It's highly unlikely they'll retheme ToT. It's one of the most popular rides in all four parks.
so is splash mountain, and they already rethemed ToT at Disneyland...I know they are more apt to make changes at that park because it draws mostly locals where WDW draws more international and once in a life time guests, I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility that they change it one day

so is splash mountain, and they already rethemed ToT at Disneyland...I know they are more apt to make changes at that park because it draws mostly locals where WDW draws more international and once in a life time guests, I don't think it's completely outside the realm of possibility that they change it one day
It's one of the four park icons. Moreso even than the Chinese Theater. If they rethemed ToT, then why not Spaceship Earth? The Tree of Life? Cinderella's Castle? Yes, Splash Mountain is popular and it's being rethemed, but the reason their retheming it is because they know it'll be even more popular as Princess and the Frog. You can't turn it into Mission: Breakout, because it'll lessen the impact of Cosmic Rewind, resulting in not only a less popular ride, but two less popular rides.

One day? Maybe. Now? It's far too profitable to keep it in the same lane.

Side note: They've canonized the Hollywood Tower Hotel as the hotel owned by Harrison Hightower in the Society of Explorers and Adventurers. Remove the theme, and you rip open a gaping plot hole in Disney's attempt at a shared universe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter