Will this end up being the pandemic that cried wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I don't lie and I have first hand knowledge of what I spoke about so there is that. I can protest because is my right to do so and I am well versed in what I protest - its not just for the sake of joining in.
Was not accusing you of lying. Just saying that whatever you have experienced was not the result of the governor’s order, therefore it makes zero sense to be protesting against it.

So, I would not consider participating in that specific protest, but as Americans I believe that it is important that we support protesting itself. It is an important part of what keeps us free - our willingness to take to the streets when we do not agree with what our government is doing.

So, (IMO) if the PP believed in the things represented by the protest, no matter her occupation, she should be applauded for supporting it. Just as we should be applauded when we protest other things.

We don't have to agree on everything, but we should agree to protect our right to disagree publicly.

If you have ever visited DC, you’ll see multiple protests every day. I think, it’s a right of passage that you take to protest something and then move on.

If you really want to be apart of something, join an organization like the Sea Shepherds. Put yourself out there.

I think these protests happening against the lockdown show how pathetic we are. In the U.K. they clap and cheer their healthcare workers. Here we give them unnecessary crap with these protests.

I think these protests happening against the lockdown show how pathetic we are. In the U.K. they clap and cheer their healthcare workers. Here we give them unnecessary crap with these protests.
How were they giving healthcare workers crap here? I am missing the connection

Very organized gun rights groups were the main organizers of these protests, that’s why many are armed and wearing tactical gear.
They are an anti-vaxxer group that also supported the idea that the Sandy Hook attack was a hoax. The people who organized it are loons. They had these going in several states and are planning more.

They tried to organize one in my town and were not given a permit and told they would be arrested if they protested. I am in NJ, and the current orders do not allow for this kind of assembly even with social distancing.

Keep telling yourself that its not about losing your rights. Like I said, whatever helps you sleep.

Peace out.
I don't need help sleeping, I sleep just fine. But when it comes to public safety, I don't think you really understand what your rights are in this situation. You should read some law cases on this issue. This is about savings lives and keeping people safe. If you don't understand that, I don't know what will make you change your mind. Maybe the unnecessary death of a one of your own might. People keep talking about who is dying, but they are not seeing who are the ones that are surviving. They are not understanding that the people who are surviving are ending up with lengthy hospital stays and recovery. But, you keep telling yourself this is nothing and just wait till that second wave hits. I hope you turn down any care given at any hospital. Just stay home and ride it out. Okay!

Of course the virus looks worse than predicted because the distancing measures we’re taking are WORKING.
It's getting warmer, more humid AND the sun is shining! 🌞 This may be seasonal after all. Not necessarily a good thing but we'll see. Summertime may at least give us some respite from this monster.

It's getting warmer, more humid AND the sun is shining. This may be seasonal after all. Not necessarily a good thing but we'll see. Summertime may at least give us some respite from this monster.

It’s supposed to break a hundred here this weekend. But our cases keep rising. Most cases so far reported today. I think we’re experiencing an Easter bump, where people gathered for Easter.

There is simply no reason to protest health care workers. Unfortunately, as with anything a few bad actors can cast a long shadow on larger groups. We have become a country that engages far too much in generalizations. Both in terms of protesters and those that oppose them.

I find it interesting that people are talking about CFR percentages as if this whole thing is in the past. Its not, It wont be for sometime. Flu CFR is calculated on an annual basis. We are at the end of the 4th month of the worold wide reported novel corona pandemic. Even if one assumes that it began well before China either recognized it we are probably six months in. Given the behavior of pandemic respiratory viruses in the last 120 years this thing is in its infancy. The last really bad pandemic was of course the flu in 1918-and its a fair comparison for the point I am making because while not novel to humans it had a high R0 and there were no effective preventatives or treatments at the time. The first wave was minor compared to the second and the total pandemic lasted 18 moths. Definitions of death rates took years. We are not going to understand the infection rate for COVID, or the CFR for quiet some time yet. Any theorizing about the number of people who have been infected vice reported cases, is just that theorizing. Antibody testing is in its infancy. The question of immunity-idoes infection confer immunity? is it transient immunity? will not be answered for some time. We are YEARS away from knowing if this is the pandemic that cried wolf although at the moment the overwhelming evidence is that no it is not-but again-Years for all the data to be gathered and appropriately analyzed.

My personal observations:
What was the purpose of the lock-down orders? To "flatten the curve" and not overwhelm the hospitals or was it to wait until the new cases were down to 0? By the way, add "flatten the curve" to phrases I never want to hear again.

Maybe people are protesting because some of these emergency orders have obviously overreached? In one state I can buy lottery tickets and beer, but I can't buy grass seed. Explain that order? Protest is in our DNA. Without it we would still be royal subjects and treated like second class citizens. When our governments start asking and then ordering you to give up your basic rights is the same moment everyone needs to start worrying.

Why can't we question these orders based on "expert" medical advice? They have been spot on so far correct? The latest death range is 48k-123k. This model is guiding public policy?

My personal observations:
What was the purpose of the lock-down orders? To "flatten the curve" and not overwhelm the hospitals or was it to wait until the new cases were down to 0? By the way, add "flatten the curve" to phrases I never want to hear again.

Maybe people are protesting because some of these emergency orders have obviously overreached? In one state I can buy lottery tickets and beer, but I can't buy grass seed. Explain that order? Protest is in our DNA. Without it we would still be royal subjects and treated like second class citizens. When our governments start asking and then ordering you to give up your basic rights is the same moment everyone needs to start worrying.

Why can't we question these orders based on "expert" medical advice? They have been spot on so far correct? The latest death range is 48k-123k. This model is guiding public policy?

Not this again.

Those arguments have been thoroughly dissected in various posts around here.

All I can do is shake my head every time I read this thread. Who are some of you? Do you not have love and compassion for others? Because no one in your circle has died it's the world crying wolf? My husband was diagnosed with ALS during all this putting him in extreme risk. I am not asking for your sympathy but I am asking you to think of others. Should he be locked up in the house because taking him to therapy and doctor appts puts his life in danger every single time we leave the house? Home health care is not available at this time. So it sucks to be him? Hey, it's his time anyway so let's just thin the herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter