Will they cancel my cruise because of storm/hurricane weather? Answers:

Snowwhyt

I feel the Magic with every visit ❤️
Usually a cruise is not canceled but altered in a way that makes it easier for you and the ship for navigation. Occasionally a delay could be involved.
Your travel could be a little bumpy, your travel could be very bumpy so be prepared and bring a little extra in the way of sea sickness medicine. Check with your local drug store for disposable vomit bags. It’s easier to put a bag in garbage then wait for cleaning supplies and a person to free-up from the other calls to help you next.
You could be asked to stay in your cabin for your safety for a period of time.
Consider a cancelable reservation for a hotel should you sailing date be canceled on short notice. Better to be stuck in the area with a place to stay. Tks-Weedy
Put your loose items in packing cubes or the smaller suitcase you bought during turbulent times.
What did you find helpful during a storm? I’d love to add a few more tips here if you have any.
5F454F61-A7D9-4C98-929E-A46D18C27AA4.jpeg
Since this was on the national news last night thought I would offer it here. If I spelled something wrong or used poor punctuation please PM me. I’m dyslexic and try hard but still make mistakes and I’ll fix them. Thank you.

Last edited:
yeah they don't outright cancel them very often.

NHC just doesn't want us to be complacent about the fact that so far this season, there have only been three named Atlantic storms and the last one, Colin, was active back in early July. by this time in 2021 we were already through E.

Our favorite cruise was during Hurricane Matthew in 2016. It was supposed to be a 3 night Bahamas cruise but to avoid the storm we sailed to Mexico. On the day we were supposed to return the storm was hitting Port Canaverel and it took another day to determine the port was safe so it turned into 5 nights. Luckily since we drove we didn’t have to stress about flights or anything. They had plenty of food and even brought onboard extra entertainment. The biggest issue was finding an open gas station driving home so now we always make sure to fill up before parking at the port!

Unfortunately for those scheduled on the cruise after ours - that one was canceled.

"Dam the hurricane, full speed ahead"
Our DCL cruise on the Fantasy (2012) plowed right through Hurricane Sandy. CC was canceled so the captain could outrun the storm. That didn't happen. We limped in hours later than originally scheduled. What a mess.
We were on the cruise right after yours. They were still cleaning up days into the cruise. Shattered glass in the shops and inventory on the ground. Things were still choppy for the first couple days. Pretty decent swells that made the 6 year olds trying to walk the halls look like drunks straggling in after 2am closing time.

Our DCL cruise on the Fantasy (2012) plowed right through Hurricane Sandy. CC was canceled so the captain could outrun the storm. That didn't happen. We limped in hours later than originally scheduled. What a mess.
We were on the Dream that got back to PC the day before and honestly that was bad enough. Couldn’t sleep that last night because the motion was so strong it was opening the doors on the closets.

We were on the cruise right after yours. They were still cleaning up days into the cruise. Shattered glass in the shops and inventory on the ground. Things were still choppy for the first couple days. Pretty decent swells that made the 6 year olds trying to walk the halls look like drunks straggling in after 2am closing time.
The interior of the ship was practically destroyed. No breakfast service because dishes and kitchen were "extremely disrupted." When we finally arrived, I saw a long caravan of trucks with conexes at the port, with everything probably new. The smell of broken booze was awful.
We were on the Dream that got back to PC the day before and honestly that was bad enough. Couldn’t sleep that last night because the motion was so strong it was opening the doors on the closets.
Didn't the Dream circle north of Cuba for a while before heading to PC? Maybe the Dream after your cruise.

I read about that. It sounded like a nightmare. It is to be hoped that kind of judgment error will not recur on a Disney ship.

We were on a princess ship during Matthew and it was a great time. Kept all our western Caribbean ports but some water-based excursions were cancelled. The boat was heavily swaying, helping you down the stairs, and sometimes doors to the outside were taped off due to high winds. And barf bags everywhere. But it was a great time.

Our first cruise was in 2004 during Hurricane Frances and we thought it was amazing. Never felt any rough weather and our 7 night cruise turned into a 10 night! (Not so great for the people who were supposed to sail after us) We also were on the transatlantic in 2019 during Hurricane Lorenzo and we missed our Canada ports because we had to get out of the hurricane's path. But again, we never felt any rough weather. Hopefully our luck holds for our Bermuda cruise out of New York next October... 🤞

Our first cruise was in 2005 through hurricane Wilma. Captain assured us he would get us away from the storm and find a sunny spot in the ocean to float around for a day ……. Well the nasty lady moved all around and followed us then covered us. It was an interesting ride for a day.

Our 2017 September cruise was canceled due to Irma. Our 2019 Bermuda cruise came 2 days after Bermuda got whacked by a hurricane (I forget which one) and there were trees down, etc. all over the island. As we were leaving Bermuda, another hurricane was on the way. Seas very calm on way to Bermuda but a bit choppy on the way back. Nothing unmanageable.
Also I am never booking a cruise in the autumn again. Too much worrying and what-if-ing.

During hurricane season trip insurance is a must!! If you’re cruise gets canceled or delayed and you have to stay in the Orlando area ( it may be hard to fly out just before/after a storm) you are responsible for the cost of your hotel and food expenses.
You will also have to find your own hotel room. Many people feel that Disney should put them up on Disney property but they don’t.
Disney hotels get very busy during a storm because mary people evacuated to Disney property.

It is 100% certain that someone will cruise during hurricane season because of the cheap price, then complain about the weather or missed ports. It's all Disney's fault!

-Paul

The interior of the ship was practically destroyed. No breakfast service because dishes and kitchen were "extremely disrupted." When we finally arrived, I saw a long caravan of trucks with conexes at the port, with everything probably new. The smell of broken booze was awful.

Didn't the Dream circle north of Cuba for a while before heading to PC? Maybe the Dream after your cruise.
So what did they do for meals during any of those times? Does no service mean no meal?
I read about that. It sounded like a nightmare. It is to be hoped that kind of judgment error will not recur on a Disney ship.
I hope he didn’t get into trouble for that. He probably made choices from information available to him. Only information he was probably missing was “God’s Plan/Mother nature” and nobody has access to that one.

So what did they do for meals during any of those times? Does no service mean no meal? I hope he didn’t get into trouble for that. He probably made choices from information available to him. Only information he was probably missing was “God’s Plan/Mother nature” and nobody has access to that one.
During dinner (Main seating Oct 26, 2012) is when we plowed into the hurricane. We were in Enchanted Gardens. The waves hit the port hole windows so hard that the people sitting near the windows jumped up and ran to a center aisleway. Service was halted before the main course was served. The kitchen shut down because the ship was tossing as I'd never experienced. The second seating was canceled. Capt. Tom was on the intercom and told everyone to stay in their rooms. Breakfast was canceled.

Before dinner, I watched the ship's TV showing our course, speed, and location. I also had NOAA weather watching the storm on my laptop. The hurricane was north of our position (approximately Jacksonville), slowing down and getting bigger, and the Fantasy was heading towards PC at speed greater than the hurricane was moving. The ship was intercepting the hurricane. If I could see (and calculate) this, why didn't the captain?

He didn't get in trouble, he was promoted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter