Will soft drinks always be “free”

From everything DCL has said, Paper Navigators are gone for good. Do not expect to see them again.
You are new here, but they also said they would never include soda. Those comment cards ARE read and if people complain, Disney DOES react.

You are new here, but they also said they would never include soda. Those comment cards ARE read and if people complain, Disney DOES react.

Yes, to valid feedback. Not "I cant use the TV or an app to look this up" where the information is already.

The times we sailed with Paper Navigators, we asked them not to put them in the room as they were just thrown away.

Yes, to valid feedback. Not "I cant use the TV or an app to look this up" where the information is already.

The times we sailed with Paper Navigators, we asked them not to put them in the room as they were just thrown away.
We still have ours. They are great souvenirs. And what do they cost to produce? Maybe 25 cents for a weeks worth per guest. It would be nice to at least have them available to pickup at Guest Services. Last thing I want to do is carry my phone on a cruise.

I can't look at the TV unless I'm in my room, so for most of the cruise, it's just the app. But...

1. The app isn't very good. It often stops working and doesn't always update.
2. The grid on the daily navigators was much, much easier to read than the long lists on the app.
3. Some people either don't want to or simply cannot use a phone.

Anyway, navigators are off topic here. Back to soda, I guess.

I've probably become pretty jaded on Bob Chapek's version of Disney, but I fully expect them to start charging for soda in the very near future. In fact, I won't be surprised if it's something that's in place or in progress by the time I sail with my son at the end of September. If it's a perk or included right now, and other industry companies charge for it, Disney will charge for it as well and soon. That's the new Disney business model.

I don't drink coffee, tea or alcohol. I love my soda and I like it free :)

In this case I am probably not much different from most kids on a Disney cruise. A free fountain station where your kids can go themselves and drink as much as they like. It might not save tons of money, but I do see the convenience for parents.

But let's calculate, average for a soda on other cruiselines is about $3 per soda. Let's make that $3.33 for a soda and 3 sodas per day, that makes $10 per day per kid, if there aren't any package deals or flat amount for the entire cruise. For a family with 2 kids that is $140 just in sodas on a 7 night cruise.
I guess I’m going to be the one to say it. Every 330ml can of Coke (or equivalent flavoured soda has three tablespoons of sugar in it. Nine tablespoons of sugar a day? Even on a once in a life time vacation that seems rather a lot in a child let alone an adult. I would rather have something healthier to drink, if that was possible. One in ten Americans has diabetes. I know I’m off topic but I couldn’t help myself. Soda lovers I apologize in advance.

I guess I’m going to be the one to say it. Every 330ml can of Coke (or equivalent flavoured soda has three tablespoons of sugar in it. Nine tablespoons of sugar a day? Even on a once in a life time vacation that seems rather a lot in a child let alone an adult. I would rather have something healthier to drink, if that was possible. One in ten Americans has diabetes. I know I’m off topic but I couldn’t help myself. Soda lovers I apologize in advance.
I was recently diagnosed with diabetes and specifically had conversations with my doctor, my dietician and my ICU staff about soda, because I've been a lifelong soda drinker. They basically said to me that because I've been drinking diet soda my whole life, the only real impact it had on my current condition was making me crave sweets more, and that if I could manage those cravings going forward, there was no reason to stop drinking diet soda.

So with that in mind, I'll be taking full advantage of the free unlimited Diet Coke on Deck 9 for as long as they'll keep it around (which hopefully will be forever).

I don't think they will charge for on deck soda, just for convenience and image issues. It isn't something they lose a lot of money from, and I've heard so many people say that things like "free soda" help make up for the higher price of a Disney cruise (LMAO on that one), that I'm sure they're loathe to remove that informal marketing message.

What would really get me to reconsider sailing on DCL is if they started charging for the Disney on Demand movies. I expect to have entertainment on tap throughout a Disney cruise, even in my stateroom. If I get nickeled and dimed for that, it would probably irritate me enough to find another favorite vacation. When I sail solo I like to spend my downtime in the stateroom with a movie playing in the background. I would resent being charged for that every time, and it would really add up.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter