• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will I be sad if I don't do Disney to Alaska?

Thanks for the info. The first time I saw them here I was excited because I had read about them on here(this was many years ago). After getting one I was disappointed and didn't get why they are so popular. Guess I need to try one the next time we go to Cozumel.
The US ones are called Kinder Joy with the toy on one side and soft chocolate with cocoa wafer bites. We got the 'real' Kinder eggs in Canada and Europe (and a knockoff one called Dragon eggs in Denmark). The chocolate is not very good in the real ones, it's just fun to open them for the toy, which is in a 1 in plastic pod.

Vancouver will be good to fly to as the luggage requirements are different because it is international and if I recall correctly you get a checked bag free. Plus, even from a small East Coast airport it is just one stop.
You know, I just checked my JetBlue flight to Vancouver for my upcoming Alaska cruise and it doesn't come with free checked bags. I guess Canada doesn't count as international.

We have sailed out of both Seattle and Vancouver for round trip Alaska cruises. Vancouver is easier for us since we live there but I do understand Seattle is easier to get to for many Americans. IMO the scenery is better from Vancouver b/c of sailing the inside passage between the mainland and Vancouver Island, and no weird 4 hour nighttime stop in Victoria to contend with. You do often see bigger ships out of Seattle though as they don't have to navigate the inside passage.
I don't think many Alaskan cruisers understand the true difference between leaving out of Seattle vs Vancouver. We've done both. We sailed DCL the one year they sailed out of Seattle and NCL out of Vancouver. When we sailed out of Seattle we sailed north off of the west coast of the inside passage - into the open sea. It was VERY rough - some of the roughest seas I've experienced on a cruise outside of a storm. Also our port times were so short!!
If you sail out of Vancouver you just go up the inside passage and back down. The upside is longer times in port, and smoother sailing. The downside is you're basically reversing your tracks so to speak. Without a doubt the best Alaskan itinerary is a one way out of Vancouver that ends in mainland Alaska. But if you can't swing that, I'd still highly recommend sailing out of Vancouver vs Seattle for smoother seas and longer port times.

You're only going to be sad if you let yourself be sad. Disney's itineraries are limited. I your goal is the Disney experience book DCL if you want to spend less and see more book on somebody else. We did an inside on DCL. It was fine I honestly didn't find Alaska that exciting. We cruised to Norway and Iceland the year before so that might be why.

I don't think you need a balcony to enjoy any cruise. Many of my 30+ cruises have been inside rooms and it been fine.

Last edited:

I just booked my first Alaska cruise on the Wonder for Jun 2024. Going with another family and we got a set of connecting staterooms … man they sure do go fast!

After an extremely disappointing week on RCCL this past summer, I am firmly planted in the DCL camp for my tastes. I enjoy the theming and Disney service … cruising without that I just feel trapped on something I’m indifferent about. Literally being stuck in what I felt was a shopping mall in Vegas and a booze cruise on RCCL. That’s why the make vanilla and chocolate, right? LOL

It’s nice we live in a world with so many options though. Enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts and experiences!

After an extremely disappointing week on RCCL this past summer, I am firmly planted in the DCL camp for my tastes. I enjoy the theming and Disney service … cruising without that I just feel trapped on something I’m indifferent about. Literally being stuck in what I felt was a shopping mall in Vegas and a booze cruise on RCCL. That’s why the make vanilla and chocolate, right? LOL
I very much worry that my NCL cruise next year will feel like that!

Enjoy your cruise to Alaska!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter