Will dogs be allowed at a DVC resort??

The declaration of condominium clearly and unequivocally says no pets allowed. Many members, such as myself, bought in on the basis pets are not allowed. The declaration gives DVD the ability to unilaterally amend it, but it is specifically stated this is only when it is not detrimental to the rights of owners.
Cutting down rooms I can book by making a bunch pet friendly, or potentially exposing members to allergies or just dogs when they don't like them and bought in on consideration of this clear rule, would be detrimental to members rights as they are now.

The declaration of condominium clearly and unequivocally says no pets allowed. Many members, such as myself, bought in on the basis pets are not allowed. The declaration gives DVD the ability to unilaterally amend it, but it is specifically stated this is only when it is not detrimental to the rights of owners.
Cutting down rooms I can book by making a bunch pet friendly, or potentially exposing members to allergies or just dogs when they don't like them and bought in on consideration of this clear rule, would be detrimental to members rights as they are now.

They could allow at new resorts as they are built.

I hope not. I am so afraid of dogs, my mom gets sick when she is around dogs. This would really make me think twice about my DVC ownership.

MadamG2U

I hope that if they do allow dogs in the DVC resorts that those rooms are kept reserved for members with dogs only. I like dogs but I don't own one but I prefer to not have a room where a dog was staying.

You still end up with issues on shared resorts. If Poly allows dogs, but not in DVC, you're still dealing with a dog as you walk to GCH.

I spoke with my guide last week about adding on. A few days later I got a very long DVC survey. There were a lot of questions about interest in purchasing prepared foods, cooking habits in the villas.... but nothing about dogs.

I guess they could nominate all the ground floor at BWV as pet friendly. Or maybe the entire DVC wing of the resort. If a whole portion of SSR could be made pet friendly, then it means there would be no legal issue for Disney to make a whole resort pet friendly. Would DVC do it? I don't believe so, but what I would like to know is if creating a category actually restricting some owners to be able to use it for health issues would be against the law or not. If not, they can also make all DVC resorts pet friendly.

There is a difference between a pet friendly building at SSR or OKW and the single building structure of BWV - and that is what I suspect Disney is getting at with how they selected resorts. With BWV, you'd need to have dogs in the public areas - even if you restricted them to the first floor - in order for them to get outside to do their duty. The first floor is used for pool access. Same thing with all of the other completely connected resorts - the hallways are shared. With the resorts where their are separate buildings (even the Poly would qualify, but the Contemporary and BLT wouldn't), you could have entire pet friendly buildings.

And I don't think they will, but I think they could. And if it did, I'm not sure it would be horrible (although I'd prefer no dogs myself). No reason to worry about it until it happens though.

As an owner since 1991 and okw as my home resort I am absolutely totally against dogs being able to stay at any Disney resort. There is a very long thread on the resort board if anyone is interested. I can't even go into all the issues because there are just way too many. I don't want to hear, smell, see, or step in your dog's crap. I know I know e everyone always says they are responsible pet owners but most of us know that isn't true. No no no, a thousand times no. And I realize a lot of people are okw haters but I DO NOT want dogs, or cats, or parrots, or any pet at my home. I bought at a non-pet resort and I want it to stay that way.

VERY good! When in doubt, the CONTRACT we signed is the authoritative reference. If nothing else, it establishes a GREAT Basis for a Class Action Lawsuit, IF something occurs. Nothing has actually occurred, but it's GOOD to understand DVC owner recourse under the CONTRACT, in the event that it does.

Must add - my dear wife and I are SO glad that we are homed at BRV. A SEPARATE BUILDING DVC. The "Dog Hotel" issue could get dicey for "shared with Main Hotel" DVC properties - like Poly, and CCV :(.

I sent some emails...said we hoped the dogs werent coming to the DVC resorts.....and was against the new policy allowing them at designated hotels....if you are against this new policy we need to stick together and voice our opinion....
I mean at times we still stay in hotels on property....

As an owner since 1991 and okw as my home resort I am absolutely totally against dogs being able to stay at any Disney resort. There is a very long thread on the resort board if anyone is interested. I can't even go into all the issues because there are just way too many. I don't want to hear, smell, see, or step in your dog's crap. I know I know e everyone always says they are responsible pet owners but most of us know that isn't true. No no no, a thousand times no. And I realize a lot of people are okw haters but I DO NOT want dogs, or cats, or parrots, or any pet at my home. I bought at a non-pet resort and I want it to stay that way.

Can we not keep that thread the one where everyone complains and this one more waiting to see what actually happens? I avoid that thread because of the hostile tone. Would like to have someplace to discuss it that isn't so angry and negative

I cannot see how this could work for DVC. If they create a new booking category "dog friendly", they would actually remove some inventory to be available for people who cannot book a dog friendly section of the resort because of allergies. Is this something they could go by?

I certainly do not want to find myself in a studio where in the adjacent connecting 1B (from where you can hear people whisper each other) there is a dog barking after being left alone all day.
I may understand hotels that do this in a location where guests are often in their room or around the resort, like a beach location, but in WDW a lot of people leave in the mroning and come back in the evening and they are not allowed to bring the dog with them.

Which is the MS email address better suited to send some feedback?
If they create a new booking category (or categories), they will have to pull them from the rest or at least create sub categories. Then there's the ? of waitlists.

Coming from someone with pet allergies in their family, trust me....any allergy special cleaning is not sufficient.
If they do a true allergy cleaning where they change out all cloth including the curtains, wipe down the walls (etc) and steam clean the carpets, they'd be OK but the likelihood of them doing everything is slim.

Last edited:
They did this at hotels where they could identify rooms enough isolated (or in separate buildings) that impact to other guests should be minimal. We yet have to see how they'll manage the Magical Express or checkin at the main desk, but we'll see, they might manage this so impact for other guests could be minimal.

However with DVC this cannot be done with minimal impact: DVC rooms are booked nearly 100% all time around, there are no isolated or less booked rooms to convert. Making a wing, a building or an area pet friendly means they'd have to create a new category, for sure they cannot risk a member who is allergic or scared by dogs to get a pet friendly room just because they couldn't honour the "no pet" request. This means removing rooms from inventory for some people.
Also, what will happen to dues? Should everyone pay for deeper cleaning that will be needed for both the rooms and the common areas? Will DVC start charging a checkin fee for pet friendly rooms (this would open a Pandora's box of pay-to-play fees)?

I cannot see this happen for DVC, but writing to MS about our concerns and making the point with guides can be useful.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter