Wilderness Lodge Mess

I would change to POR for the savings and just plan to take taxis. I can't stand the resort buses but we find the metered checkered cabs are fairly easy for getting around.

Or you could rent a car.

Just as a note about the extra boats. When we were at Disney in Feb. it was a time when the monorail was closed down during the day. It stopped running at 11:30 am and started running again at 7:00pm. We were told there would be extra boats on hand at this time since we had an ADR at Artist Point (in the Wilderness Lodge) for 6:00. We figured we would walk around the Lodge a little before dinner so we left the MK well over an hour before our dinner ADR time and waited for an hour and a half for a boat. Needless to say we were really late but the restaurant was great and got us right in. They said that they were expecting a lot of delays because and I quote" what Disney says they are going to do with the boat runs and what they actually due are two different things". Just something to keep in mind when they tell you they will be adding 6 boats.

Me(44) DW(32) DS(8) DD(2.5) are traveling to WDW for our families first trip from 9/20-9/29. We were so excited about the WL and had a great price with dining plan (just over $4,000). As most know, the pool is scheduled to be refurbed 9/3-11/27. We received the ever-so-timely letter just days ago that catapulted us from simply securing a few more ADRs to complete logistical chaos, so I have come to the great and powerful DISboards for guidance.

My priorities:

1) Although we are there for the parks, we will be taking those much needed afternoon breaks for nap/pool time, so close proximity to a nice pool is important.

2) We chose the WL for it's great price and to be located near the MK, CR and POLY for our secured ADRs. Easy travel to these locations are also a priority.

3) Having two children ages 8 and 2.5, extra resort activities would be a plus.

So, after spending 3 hours on the phone time with some very helpful CMs, here is the info I have and the decisions I have to make:

1) The resort is doubling the amount of ferry boats (will have 6 total) and will have dedicated service to the CR and FW pools. They tell me that the ferry ride is 5mins to the CR, which would be some inconvenience, but doesn't seem all that terrible.

2) We received a PIN to POR Royal Guest for free dining, this would bring our total resort/dining package down to $2900 (significant savings).

I am about to jump ship from the WL to POR because of the ridiculous savings and resort pool. NOT looking forward to bus transportation to MK (3 days) and resort dining. I also wanted to experience FW and the campfire activities, Hoop-Dee-Do, etc. for te kids. I was so excited about all those convenient ferry rides!

So, this DD (Distraught Dad) is seeking advice for those that may have been in this situation or would like to chime in. TYSMIA!

I would JUMP on the POR with Free Dining, not even a question. We LOVE POR, the main pool is awesome, and the quiet pools are great for exactly that, a quieter swim. And it sounds like the swimming will be something important for you. You also have access to DTD ... if that's a thing for you, it is for us, we like to shop and eat down there.

The busses have always been great for us at POR, most often within 20 mins of leaving the room we were in the park of choice ... including the walk, wait, and ride.

We are booked at WL with free dining as well, but mid-November. I was going to change to POR, but when I was on the phone with reservations, I was told that POR was not a free dining resort (which I knew, but I was hoping). Does having the PIN code override that?

Yes. The pin includes a few resorts and dates that are not available to the public.

If you are planning on having a car, I would most definately jump ship and save a considerable amount of money. We stayed at POR last years and it was really nice and had a very calming feel to me.

I forgot to add, the pool slide at POR is awesome!!! Longer than the one at WL, if pool slide is important.

You seem to have a lot of ADRs in the MK/Bay Lake area, 3 or more? I think for that reason you should consider sticking with WL. While it isn't a 5 minute trip from WL to the other MK restaurants (50 seems a good number for planning), you'd probably need to plan for 1 1/2 hours (waiting for multiple busses, transportation time, etc.) for certainty if staying at POR. The pool inconvenience is a shame, but I think the ADR inconvenience staying at POR might be even worse. If money isn't your primary concern, I'd stay with WL; if money is a factor, then POR sounds like a nice alternative.

I'd go to PO, and rent a car if you're concerned about ADRs. Even if you only use it the 3x, the 2900 dollar savings will more than make up for it!

But I'm cheap! Lol!

For that price difference, I would do POR. You can always do WL another trip when the pool is completed and you can really enjoy it. We're big WL fans, but we've also done POFQ and my kids actually liked it better. We had no problem with the busses. With all the money you'd save, you could easily afford to take a taxi if you're in a rush some days. It's usually about $20. We've done that at times for those early morning ADRs just to save time.

Even better-save the hassle of the car and take the taxi!!

Since the pool is important to you, I would change to PO. There is so much walking and waiting in lines at Disney that going to another resort to use the pool would negatively impact my vacation. When planning a Disney trip its easy to get caught up in the excitement but in actuality after dealing with lines, crowds, heat, over-tired kids and other stressors it could easily become miserable. You can always plan another trip and stay at WL sometime in the future if that's possible.

I don't know if you've ever visited PO but it is a charming resort. And, probably something your kids would enjoy exploring.

Also, I would seriously consider using taxis to some of your adr's if you change to PO. This will free up a lot of time and with small children so important. Since you are not going until September, put extra money away specifically for using the taxis. I don't like spending extra money on things that are essentially provided by Disney (in this instance, transportation) but it will eliminate a lot of stress by not having to rush or leave an hour plus for an adr. There are ample taxis waiting at each resort. Money well spent, IMO.

The whole outdoor courtyard is filled with tarped scaffolding right now. There is a bit of noise outside and it was early (large equoment backing up, machines banging that kind of thing, but it didn't go on all day). The river and waterfall is dry, and tarped off so you cant see anything. There are large wooden walls blocking the area around the rock/cave tunnel, down by roaring forks. There is no river in the lobby, and the bridge in the lobby is shut down.
The interior to me is fine, no big deal. But the work outside takes away from the WL feel for sure. Like I said, it didn't impact my stay bc I expected it and got a good deal. If I paid premium $ and wasn't aware I'd have been a little ticked. Overall we had a very nice stay though. Just an fyi!

This is no good for us, this was suppose to be a resort stay for us mostly. A relaxing, beautiful view vacation... It is why I chose this particular lodge for the feel of it, and tarps and dry rivers and waterfall take away from what I was going for. I just got done with construction on house and had to deal with 6 months of this. We are getting away to recoup from a rather huge inconvenience and stress of the construction noise and mess... Does everyone think perhaps it will get worse before better here with tarps and scaffolding, because this may be a deal breaker.... we are going first week in August.. May have to switch if it is looking all construction site, had enough of that and honestly need a break with just peaceful views...

If you have a lot of dining reservations centered along Bay Lake/MK area, I'd stick with WL. The one time we stayed at POFQ (next to POR), it was SUCH a pain getting anywhere for dinner, especially the MK area. Now, if you'll have a car, then I think POR would be easier.

I will say I found the boat situation at WL to be a pain when we stayed in February. The rides to MK took forever- if you weren't down to the dock by 8:10, you weren't getting on the first boat to MK. We also had 20 minute plus waits for boats in the pm after nap to go back to MK. The boat ride back from MK was easy, and I did like that.

I am so glad we stayed before all of this construction. WL is truly a gorgeous resort. I think it and the Poly are the two truly most beautiful resorts grounds wise, at WDW.

Eeck! This is what I have been waiting for...news on specifics. That sounds awful. Were there still tables outside by the fork? Could you walk at all in back or was it a mess? I ask bec hubby is blind and that is my biggest fear is him trying to walk around with stuff everywhere.

Also, was there dust blowing around?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions

NP! Happy to help. Yes there are tables outside by roaring forks, probably 5-6. You can walk everywhere outside as of now, (around pool, to the boat launches, by the beach) except the long paths above the waterfall area in the courtyard, and as I said you cannot walk in the rock tunnel. From that part and all the way back it is closed off. However, based on the proposed construction at some point much more, if not most, of the courtyard will be closed off so at that point, I'm sure DISers will post updates.
I have chronic lung issues and I didn't notice any notable dust as of now.

This is no good for us, this was suppose to be a resort stay for us mostly. A relaxing, beautiful view vacation... It is why I chose this particular lodge for the feel of it, and tarps and dry rivers and waterfall take away from what I was going for. I just got done with construction on house and had to deal with 6 months of this. We are getting away to recoup from a rather huge inconvenience and stress of the construction noise and mess... Does everyone think perhaps it will get worse before better here with tarps and scaffolding, because this may be a deal breaker.... we are going first week in August.. May have to switch if it is looking all construction site, had enough of that and honestly need a break with just peaceful views...

Ok Well I'll start by saying this trip was mainly a resort only trip for us all well. We never left WL till 3 pm every day. That being said, I cannot say the construction took away from our trip. Did we miss the waterfall, and river, esp at night? Yes of course! But we knew ahead of time to expect this and we didn't break the bank on the trip so we were totally ok.

Now, as far as future construction? What we experienced is nothing in comparison with what is to come. If they are refurbing the entire pool, I can only imagine how much scaffolding, tarps, shut down walkways, equipment, etc. Whats there now just from a down stream and waterfall..half the courtyard is under construction and closed off. This will be a major project.

I absolutely think a pleasant enjoyable stay at WL is possible despite this. Depends on what you are going for. But I wish there was more concrete (pardon the pun) description of whats happening.

Every Disney trip is different. Every Disney trip has a different vision. If your vision is a quiet, relaxing time on a balcony, with a natural pristine view then WL won't be for you this time. If its grabbing breakfast early with the family, hopping to the parks often, hopping to dinner, maybe a little pool time, I think WL will work out good.

We will actually have a car on property during our entire stay (we are either driving down or renting from airport). Would you recommend using the car for ADRs only and bus transportation for the parks?

You could use the car for the days you want to go to the pool... throw swimming stuff in the car (wont have to carry it around the park with you) then leave...go swimming, drive back to your resort for change and naps then bus, or ferry back later.... lots to decide...

i just changed from ASMu to Pop because ASMu food court will be down while we are there (traveling with 2 70 something year old aunts)... who wants to shuttle to a different resort for breakfast, back to music to drop off mugs etc, then bus to parks... sounds like a pain for me... bill went up a few dollars but doesnt matter now... closer means a lot to me... good luck deciding

Disneytam said:
Just as a note about the extra boats. When we were at Disney in Feb. it was a time when the monorail was closed down during the day. It stopped running at 11:30 am and started running again at 7:00pm. We were told there would be extra boats on hand at this time since we had an ADR at Artist Point (in the Wilderness Lodge) for 6:00. We figured we would walk around the Lodge a little before dinner so we left the MK well over an hour before our dinner ADR time and waited for an hour and a half for a boat. Needless to say we were really late but the restaurant was great and got us right in. They said that they were expecting a lot of delays because and I quote" what Disney says they are going to do with the boat runs and what they actually due are two different things". Just something to keep in mind when they tell you they will be adding 6 boats.
Wait because no boats came? Or because there were so many guests waiting for the boats?

Many people aren't aware there's also bus transportation between WL and MK.

Can someone please let tell me if the hot tub(s) will also be closed? We were planning on being there Nov 18-23 and would probably not use the pool even if it were open. But the hot tub after a day at the parks is a must!
Thank you.

Wait because no boats came? Or because there were so many guests waiting for the boats?

Many people aren't aware there's also bus transportation between WL and MK.
Most of it was because no boats came and when one did finally come it was a small one and didn't hold many people. We made it on the second boat to come but it was a long wait. While we were waiting they did have a large older looking boat driving around with someone practicing docking it. I don't know if this is true or not but an older gentleman standing in line said that he used to work for Disney and that they must have taken that boat out of storage because they hadn't used it in ages. It did look a lot different then the other boats and "older".

I wasn't aware that they had bus transportation from MK to WL, good to know for the future.

I'd jump ship but I'm extremely biased. I too am upset by the situation and am moving offsite. I'd personally like to see Disney learn a lesson from their late notice on this issue. I know that there isn't much chance of that happening though. And before I get fanned, remember Disney Villains are people too. pirate:

AWESOME!.....eeeeeerrrrrrrrrr

I would take the POR offer. Resort atmosphere is very important to us. That said, if you stay at WL I think taking your swimsuits with you and going directly to CR pool after park time is an excellent idea. Just because disney says they will run extra boats, doesn't mean they will. Oh, and I'd definitely take a taxi or drive to restaurants from POR if you go that route.

Ok Well I'll start by saying this trip was mainly a resort only trip for us all well. We never left WL till 3 pm every day. That being said, I cannot say the construction took away from our trip. Did we miss the waterfall, and river, esp at night? Yes of course! But we knew ahead of time to expect this and we didn't break the bank on the trip so we were totally ok.

Now, as far as future construction? What we experienced is nothing in comparison with what is to come. If they are refurbing the entire pool, I can only imagine how much scaffolding, tarps, shut down walkways, equipment, etc. Whats there now just from a down stream and waterfall..half the courtyard is under construction and closed off. This will be a major project.

I absolutely think a pleasant enjoyable stay at WL is possible despite this. Depends on what you are going for. But I wish there was more concrete (pardon the pun) description of whats happening.

Every Disney trip is different. Every Disney trip has a different vision. If your vision is a quiet, relaxing time on a balcony, with a natural pristine view then WL won't be for you this time. If its grabbing breakfast early with the family, hopping to the parks often, hopping to dinner, maybe a little pool time, I think WL will work out good.

Thank you so much for your honesty and candor. We will switch resort I think now, my house has been under construction for 6 months and it has been a stressful time and total chaos really. We all wanted to do a couple hours in the park and head back to enjoy the resort and scenery. So I have a feeling your right and with the pool redo the tarps and construction and noise will get worse. I thank you so much for the heads up, because I doubt Disney was gonna inform me of the courtyard tarps and scaffolding in August :confused3... Thanks again, now with this info I can readjust...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter