Why we didn't get any free souvies as resort guests:

Everyone got photopass for free for the day. Which a one day cost is $69. Now I know that typically a family would get one and others would have it through their annual pass, but its still not a small amount.
I did not get that, my AP has it included .
So some got a freebie but not all.

Sorry didn’t mean to flame you, it was Disney that didn’t share anything with my family,

Thx for taking the time to post info, I had no idea that was a perk.

Some of y’all really need to learn to move on past stuff in life that doesn’t matter. Like a pin.

Here is an example of win-win that costed WDW very little. Last year at AK, a CM kindly gave my kid a $5 treasure hunt map that redeemed for a $5 magnet upon completion. Total cost to for the map and the magnet ~25 cents. Tbh my plan for the day wasn't to pay $100 per person to walk around AK hunting for obscure patterns in buildings, but my wife and kid were excited so we did the hunt. That ended up taking at least hour around Africa, so instead of 3 of us adding to Expedition Everest's line, we bought a bubble wand and dole whips. A net win for WDW and more happiness for my family. Blah blah less profit for WDW? Wrong.

About a year ago, we sat at Culver's drive through waiting for our food. Eventually cars ahead AND behind us all got their food and left, leaving us as the lone car waiting and wondering what happened. Eventually an employee came to our car to explain that a mixup caused our order to be temporarily lost in the system. He apologized profusely, gave us 3 cards each good for any burger on their menu, comp'd our food, and brought my kid ice cream. That generosity blew my family away and now whenever we run into a screwup at a restaurant, it gets to compared to THAT event. Obviously another case of an employee being stupid, giving away freebies, and decreasing profit? Wrong again.

All sort of businesses do all sort of marketing promos that decrease profit in the short-term but aimed at higher profit in the long-term. Wine and dine clients, send them Christmas cards, and gift them company logo'd swags. Sometimes customers even expect it. The difference between that and WDW, is that WDW has a huge contingent of apologists who believes customers deserve nothing more than what they paid for, and this is despite WDW continually raising prices and cutting product/service quality. If only my rl sector had customers like these.

But as noted above, this was an extremely calculated move made to minimize any loss of revenue, while trying to garner goodwill for the offering. The free photopass was not announced in advance (that I am aware of). So most people who were going to use likely already paid for it in advance. And it really only benefits those who only wanted photopass for one day. If someone was on a multi-day trip they would still have to pay the full price to use it on the days before and after 10/1.
I'm not saying it was awesome, I was just saying that just because there isn't a marginal cost to delivering another unit of a service, that doesn't mean it was not a cost. Carry on.

IDK if it’s just me, but literally every time we’ve ever been in a park when they handed out some thing, we didn’t get it. “Ooh those were gone by 10” or “oh sorry, we only handed those out at the main gate not the IG gate” or some other reason. Every. Time. So yeah, I do agree with OP that it might’ve been cool if you were there to have one tiny thing in your room that you were sure to get. But the entitlement police come out of the woodwork if anyone ever says it would’ve been neat to get something free/cheap/whatever.
I know what you mean :cutie:

Interesting that often the entitlement police, some on this very thread, are very happy with a perk that they already get from Disney, which is often worth much more than a pin. But they love to come down hard if someone else wants something that is not important to them. :rolleyes1

I would have liked a pin that I didn't have to fight for, for my son. Maybe next time :shamrock:

I agree, I thought that was what was saying. Just not as an investment.
He was saying the pins were game pieces and not souveniers because souveniers imply 'memories' and you don't trade memories. Unless I misunderstood. :smickey:

Disney used to mean magic for all. Now it is magic for those who will pay the price. :sad1: <<Walt

I have never gotten a promo anything at Disney. It’s even a running joke that manage to pay the maximum price for everything I do there.

so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing

You are trolling with that username.
Honestly a weak response, I expected better. Also you literally have no idea where that username comes from and while I'm sure you think you have an idea, its 100% wrong.

...For those who choose not to click: pins, magnets, and assorted fun trivia for the bargain price of $500. Limited release, of course :smickey:

Magic for those who will pay the price.
Magic for those receiving the $$....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter