Why we didn't get any free souvies as resort guests:

No it doesn't.

The photographers are there whether anyone gets the photos for "free" that day or not.

For this to actually "cost" them anything, it would require that the people taking them up on the deal planned on buying the one day Photopass package and didn't.

That said, I still think it was a nice offering subset of people it helped. (It wouldn't have been of value to me since we purchase the length of stay Memory Maker when we go.)

That's like saying it wouldn't cost Netflix anything to give out free subscriptions. It does "cost" them lost revenue of the people who would buy Photopass.
Business Professor here.
Joseph

Man, I gotta bump this again since it's a boring day at work and I already made the popcorn.

Except that it's not that they didn't get a free gift. Because everyone did (three really). Just not what they wanted/expected.

Specifically it's that they didn't get the free gift that they wanted/expected but for some reason in the room and not at MK because this should only be a perk for guests who paid the mouse >$1000 rack rate to stay on property. They want a gift for staying at a hotel, not for attending the anniversary. It's like a whole extra layer of weirdness nobody is talking about.

Honestly, Disney hotels are so exorbitantly overpriced that I get the disappointment... last time I was at POR I must admit I was a *little* sad they didn't do anything sweet or extra for me, be it a note or pin or towel animal. I even had to wait in line at front desk to request some luggage tags. Just felt not worth it and now is DEF not worth it with ME being cancelled.

I do wonder why they couldn't get Christina Aguilera to perform or lip-sync to the crowd, that would've been an awesome free gift for the 50th that people could feel good about. They also could've limited the reservations A LOT more to match their staffing levels. They could've increased prices to achieve this. It's clear from the after hours events that people are willing to pay untold amounts to attend special events like this.

Honestly, Disney hotels are so exorbitantly overpriced that I get the disappointment... last time I was at POR I must admit I was a *little* sad they didn't do anything sweet or extra for me, be it a note or pin or towel animal. I even had to wait in line at front desk to request some luggage tags. Just felt not worth it and now is DEF not worth it with ME being cancelled.

I do wonder why they couldn't get Christina Aguilera to perform or lip-sync to the crowd, that would've been an awesome free gift for the 50th that people could feel good about. They also could've limited the reservations A LOT more to match their staffing levels. They could've increased prices to achieve this. It's clear from the after hours events that people are willing to pay untold amounts to attend special events like this.

I agree that the pricing for their hotels is outrageous, but to just expect something for free, just because of that is baffling to me. No one forced anyone to book a Disney hotel, they clearly stated what was included in the price, to expect more, to me is where the problem lies. I also don't think it would have mattered what Disney offered, people would still complain.
For example, Disney gave out free Photopass, and Fliers at MK, but everyone keeps complaining that, that was not the correct thing to give out for free, i would bet my pay check, that the same thing would have happened to any of the examples you listed above

I agree that the pricing for their hotels is outrageous, but to just expect something for free, just because of that is baffling to me. No one forced anyone to book a Disney hotel, they clearly stated what was included in the price, to expect more, to me is where the problem lies. I also don't think it would have mattered what Disney offered, people would still complain.
For example, Disney gave out free Photopass, and Fliers at MK, but everyone keeps complaining that, that was not the correct thing to give out for free, i would bet my pay check, that the same thing would have happened to any of the examples you listed above
I agree that people would complain regardless, but I don't think that makes the existing complaints illegitimate. To touch on something Pete said in this week's show - everyone is an influencer - and the very reason people are expecting so much is because they are relying upon the reviews of their families and friends who went in "better times" and did get better treatment and more overall magic.

I agree that people would complain regardless, but I don't think that makes the existing complaints illegitimate. To touch on something Pete said in this week's show - everyone is an influencer - and the very reason people are expecting so much is because they are relying upon the reviews of their families and friends who went in "better times" and did get better treatment and more overall magic.
i would just say that if you are expecting the same experience people had pre covid, then you are walking in completely blind to the last year and a half. I think most people know that they are going to get less at this point in time. if that's not right for them, they shouldn't book, they definitely shouldn't expect different "perks" bc so many have been removed/ put on hold

Why would you expect them to do something "sweet or extra" for you? There are literally hundreds of people checking into POR every day (when open), what makes you more special than the rest of the Guests (no offense meant, but...)??? You can't expect them to do something for everyone, then it's not "extra". Looks like they gave you luggage tags, that is an extra! If you were entitled to them, they would have been mailed to you in advance of your stay. They may have stopped mailing them now, but when POR was last open, the tags were being shipped. And apologies you had to actually wait in a line to get them...

For the 50th, if they had reduced park capacity or increased ticket prices, people would have complained about that. I do agree that it would have been nice to have the rededication ceremony on 10/1 in front of Guests that morning instead of the night prior for the media. But back to paying untold amounts for special events, if you look at the availability of the after hours version of the Very Merry Christmas Party, it is clear that there is a limit on how much people will pay. Not one night is sold out thus far. Go figure.

You are right, I shouldn’t have mixed up park and resort goodwill, but people were comparing them. I guess I was referring more to resort guest magic. Could have been cool and inexpensive to have a special “Thank you for visiting on our 50th Anniversary” message on the TV, like in the space where they sometimes have “welcome Smith Family”, maybe with a special song or graphic.
We did just get an email for visiting during the 50th. One per MDE :smickey:

I have been going to WDW regularly for 39 years. In that time I have NEVER received a single free piece of bling, not a single fastpass, not a single thing from WDW. I have left behind a whole lot of cash though. To put it in reality context, I have never expected any nor sought anything from them. Not anymore then if I go to a movie and get nothing more then a movie. Those little bling things are worthless once you leave the place anyway. Where can you wear or use them? I paid for a Behind the Scene tour once and got a WDW Lanyard and a single pin. It is now hanging on a peg along side my purchased souvenir golf balls from when they used to sell them with the date on them. They stopped that to and I haven't bought one since then. I have to dust it once in awhile. All those bling things have never been worth what they charge for them especially that selection for $500.00. Seriously? How much are they going to be worth years from now $501.00? Disney has a lot of collectables and they pump out more and more every year. There is a limited market for them so even though a few might make a few bucks, not everyone is going to. The bigger the supply the lower the price.
So actually, pin trading is a big deal among Disney fans.They wear their lanyards with the pins they like and the pins they want to trade. My son collects the pins and was trading with lots of people on our trip. Kids AND adults. And the adults seemed the most excited about the trades! Fun! pixiedust:

Last edited:
That's like saying it wouldn't cost Netflix anything to give out free subscriptions. It does "cost" them lost revenue of the people who would buy Photopass.
Business Professor here.
Joseph
Photopass is lame when everyone has an iPhone that takes amazing pictures. Better than photopass. How many Splash Mt. candids does anyone need. Esp with masks on.

Man, I gotta bump this again since it's a boring day at work and I already made the popcorn.
Specifically it's that they didn't get the free gift that they wanted/expected but for some reason in the room and not at MK because this should only be a perk for guests who paid the mouse >$1000 rack rate to stay on property. They want a gift for staying at a hotel, not for attending the anniversary. It's like a whole extra layer of weirdness nobody is talking about.
No, my main reason for listing exorbitant Disney resort prices is that lots of posters are acting like it's so much money that Disney is losing over a 20 cent pin. Not sure what you're on about in the last part of your post.

Why would you expect them to do something "sweet or extra" for you?
Because they had in the past and they had for other people I knew in the past? It's all good, I won't bother to stay there next time. And it's not a COVID issue. My last trip was 2019 :(

I just don't think "people will always complain" eliminates the validity of existing complaints. But to each his own :)

People attacking the 'I didn't get a free souvie' complaint like it's different than any other complaint about Disney trying to save money. Every single thing they do to save money that generates a complaint = entitlement. After all, they are just a company trying to make money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter