Why the bad reviews?

Honestly, I think some people have become so accustomed to everyone and everything catering to them, that if they aren't treated like VIPs, they complain about it. I've overheard people griping in the park about things, and I just can't imagine worrying about it and killing the vibe we have going on. We do what we can each day, based on my kids and their state of mind, and just try to enjoy it. I've even gotten to the point where how busy it is doesn't bother me at all. Patience and politeness go a long ways when you've got a ton of people crowded in and it's hot, to boot.

The only thing I do tend to complain about (to my own family, when we're not in the park - and here, I suppose) is how rude and aggressive people can be. I got caught between two people arguing in the carousel line over something quite silly and I was genuinely worried for my daughter's physical well being. I actually had to finally tell the kid (it was a teenager and an adult, and the adult was the aggressor) to turn around and walk, and just keep moving, to keep it from escalating. I have my mom voice down, so he listened. Lol But I can't imagine what would have happened to us if they had come to blows.

We were at the parks 2 weeks ago and doubt Ill go back for a long time. They cram so many people into a very small space and make it impossible to maneuver around with a stroller. Its been 11 years since I visited last and it probably will be 11 more before I go back. So many rides were broken down for 45 mins+ at a time, counted 5 rides down all at the same time for a lengthy amount of time. The food prices have become insane. Every meal was costing us around $60 for basic items. I will admit everything tasted good but came in small portions. I had fun with my daughter but the crowds and the entitlement of many locals really ruined my experience. We had 2 incidents where AP holders belittled cast members and made it known they spend thousands of dollars at the park every year. I agree with the person above about the rudeness of people as well. No respect for personal space and people just don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.

Here's the thing - IMO if everyone would take a deep breath and calm down, the crowds wouldn't affect anyone. There's such an air of "I have to get this done right now, in this order, and I'm going to trample anyone who gets in my way" that it makes for exchanges between people that are rude and sometimes violent. It wouldn't be half as un-enjoyable for those people if everyone was being respectful of others. We seriously have zero issues because we are always smiling and polite, and we make a point to wish people a good day, even when they don't return the favor. I've been amazed at how doing something as simple as complimenting someone's outfit changes the frustrated look on their face to a smile. Too many people are self focused at Disneyland, and it makes for a mass of angry, irritable people.

Disneyland is for everyone. But people seem to forget that it's supposed to be the Happiest Place on Earth - not the "Knock People Out To Get To My Next Destination" Place. The worst isn't the kids - it's the adults. And I'm talking late-20s and up. Not to mention that kids imitate their parents. I've seen behavior from some parents that make me go,"Ooooooohhhhh, so that's where they learned that." It makes a bad situation even worse because now kids are behaving badly too, because their parents showed them how.

It's really all just a shame. We, as human beings, have really kind of turned on each other in all areas of life. You'd think Disneyland would be the one place everyone could relax and just enjoy their time there.

I agree with the person above about the rudeness of people as well. No respect for personal space and people just don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.
I don't think this attitude is unique to DLR, or Disney parks in general. Rude people are everywhere, and it becomes especially noticeable when there are a large number of people in one place.

We were at the parks 2 weeks ago and doubt Ill go back for a long time. They cram so many people into a very small space and make it impossible to maneuver around with a stroller. Its been 11 years since I visited last and it probably will be 11 more before I go back. So many rides were broken down for 45 mins+ at a time, counted 5 rides down all at the same time for a lengthy amount of time. The food prices have become insane. Every meal was costing us around $60 for basic items. I will admit everything tasted good but came in small portions. I had fun with my daughter but the crowds and the entitlement of many locals really ruined my experience. We had 2 incidents where AP holders belittled cast members and made it known they spend thousands of dollars at the park every year. I agree with the person above about the rudeness of people as well. No respect for personal space and people just don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.

I will say that I've had experiences with local APs being that way as well. We're APs (from Arizona), and we do go a lot, so chances are we spend more than the locals (between hotels, my Disney shopping addiction, etc.) but it was MY choice to spend that money. Not anyone else's. I certainly don't feel entitled enough to go rubbing it in people's faces - especially cast members! I actually have quite a few CMs I've come to know and enjoy talking with.

It looks like they have a 4.6, which is a pretty good score. Not even Disneyland is perfect.

I was reading some of the most recent bad reviews, and honestly, I agree with most of them. Rides do shut down often at DL - is there a day when BTMMRR doesn't go down? Throw in a few more that happen daily and people get upset. Yes, it's definitely crowded nearly all the time. I've said for years they need a third gate/park, but they keep building more in the two parks. When SWL opens, I shudder to think how walking down Main Street will be. Definitely agree with the complaint about being in the park during the Halloween Party. Yes, I get it, it's a money maker, and I never pay to go. But it does make one feel unmagical getting kicked out and shoved into another park with about 25K people also being shoved out. And finally, I've always hated the seating/standing arrangements for things like F! and WOC. My kids don't have a chance of seeing either unless I get in line early and take a few shoves and elbows to stay in a position where my kids can see.

Reviews like these are certainly warranted. Disney certainly could do things to adjust, but they don't. That said, 4.6 out of 5 times, Disneyland is great!

We were prepared for the crowd during our trip a couple weeks ago, so we had a lovely time and always tried to stay one step ahead and had planned accordingly...

But if it had been our first time, it would have been a bit disenchanting. Our first time 5 years really was a ghost town and we had a magical time. The crowds do cause stress and make things less magical.

And I don't know if everyone thought midweek in mid Sept would be so crowded. The hours were short. Our best day by far was the Friday we were there, which while the first day of Halloween and packed, was also open until midnight. For the other days, being crowded and closing early was a bit frustrating. So I can see where Disneyland has room for improvement when it comes to crowd management.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the reviews but this trip is definitely less magical then previous trips. Crowd level is a lot higher. EMH is packed. Every bad thing I've read about has happened that we hadn't dealt with before. Lots of rides breaking down while on them or going down unexpectedly when my kids wanted to go on them. CMs being completely clueless. I still have no idea if Jedi Training is actually closed for the week like I was told when we couldn't sign up. Yesterday Screamin' was down and CM said it could be down for days but it was actually back up. People just stopping and completely blocked paths. Clueless and rude people with strollers and scooters. Especially all the double joggers. What's with people on rental scooters all over DTD? It just seems so unsafe. None of them caring about people. Really worried about my kids having their feet run over. People walking in groups and not caring about others. When I have to hold onto small children having groups of adults not letting us through is frustrating. Prices seem much higher for everything. It's crazy hot and all the drinks are so expensive. DS really hates how inaccurate the wait times are when we get in lines.

I do think attitude helps. You need the right mindset. I keep telling my kids that we will see how it goes. They ask what we are doing next and I say let's see how "blank" is. I try not to commit because rides could be down or lines too long for them to handle but it's hard on them. They like to know and get attached to the idea of what they want to do. Plus we used to be able to do a lot more in the same period of time.

Forgot to add my son was so excited to be tall enough for Screamin' and he was so excited for his ride photo but it wasn't there. I'm thinking someone was in appropriate so it was pulled. He was so sad. Not Disney's fault of course but rude and inconsiderate people can definitely sour the experience.

During my last trip, there were a lot of rides that kept shutting down, Space being the primary problem. I was rushing to get a fastpass when I saw it had re-opened, only to find that it had actually just shut down again. A Mom with her two small kids in front of me was clearly irate the ride was closed, she was cursing loudly and saying they were never coming back to Disneyland again -- which made her kids start to cry. It was really sad. I think people have unrealistic expectations of Disneyland and don't have the patience for crowds or other unforeseen issues like ride closures.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Disneyland Facebook page? Why all the bad reviews? Do people really blame the park for being crowded??? Goodness.

I do blame Disney for part of the reason why the parks are crowded. The second they (Disney) get rid of the installment payment option, the crowds will go down some. Having to fork over $$$$$$ for an AP at once, will have an impact, even for a short while.

I wonder what the actual percentage is....but it seems that most of the time a ride goes down because somebody isn't following the rules. If people paid more attention and followed the rules, maybe there would be less ride closures. If people had common decency and paid attention and pulled over in the walkways when they wanted to talk with their family maybe the crowds would be easier to navigate around. Disneyland is there to make money, plain and simple. And they do a really good job. And I feel like it's an unbelievable value for my money. Compared to other entertainment I may choose, Disneyland wins hands down in value.Its clean, it's safe, the experience can be downright magical. A PP mentioned the Halloween party, what a value that is!! I spent $87 for 8 hours. That's less than per hour at the movies!!! They had characters roaming, extra cast members handing out candy, the Cadaver dan, scarecrow, fireworks, parade......I remember looking around and thinking that this is probably not a huge money maker for them, though I can't imagine they wouldn't do it if it wasn't.
But anyways back to my point, I love it when I see negative reviews. Stay away people who don't know how "to do" Disneyland right. You ruin it for the rest of us anyways!!!

I do blame Disney for part of the reason why the parks are crowded. The second they (Disney) get rid of the installment payment option, the crowds will go down some. Having to fork over $$$$$$ for an AP at once, will have an impact, even for a short while.

I do agree with this though . But one could argue that it is simply a way to make Disneyland more accessible for everyone. Its not, it's a way to make more money, but one could argue.....:rolleyes1

I think something that would help is if DL extended park hours. 10 o'clock openings were suppose to be for slow time. If there's no slow time they should extend the hours!
one of the days we were there, DCA closed at 5 for a CM party... and DL closed at 8 that night. For a quick trip, we'd hoped for longer hours, and are paying the same admission as people during the summer who get 8am to midnight with more parades and night time shows.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the reviews but this trip is definitely less magical then previous trips. Crowd level is a lot higher. EMH is packed. Every bad thing I've read about has happened that we hadn't dealt with before. Lots of rides breaking down while on them or going down unexpectedly when my kids wanted to go on them. CMs being completely clueless. I still have no idea if Jedi Training is actually closed for the week like I was told when we couldn't sign up. Yesterday Screamin' was down and CM said it could be down for days but it was actually back up. People just stopping and completely blocked paths. Clueless and rude people with strollers and scooters. Especially all the double joggers. What's with people on rental scooters all over DTD? It just seems so unsafe. None of them caring about people. Really worried about my kids having their feet run over. People walking in groups and not caring about others. When I have to hold onto small children having groups of adults not letting us through is frustrating. Prices seem much higher for everything. It's crazy hot and all the drinks are so expensive. DS really hates how inaccurate the wait times are when we get in lines.

I do think attitude helps. You need the right mindset. I keep telling my kids that we will see how it goes. They ask what we are doing next and I say let's see how "blank" is. I try not to commit because rides could be down or lines too long for them to handle but it's hard on them. They like to know and get attached to the idea of what they want to do. Plus we used to be able to do a lot more in the same period of time.

This. All of it.

The rental scooter thing is a problem IMO. A woman literally RAN UP THE FRONT of my brother a few trips ago. The front wheel was on his shoulder. Luckily, he's a monster and held the thing up so the older woman on it didn't get hurt, but he was definitely hurting the next day. I understand that scooters help those that can't get around easily. However, my mother is someone who cannot get around easily (long story - chronic illnesses) and she does not use them. If she feels like she can't make the walk, she won't go to the park. It's a bummer for her, but she would rather sit out than plug up the streets/pathways with another scooter.

ETA: I think a lot of people have started using them just to save energy around the parks (I see people bounce on and off them all day). I always think, "Didn't you see WALL•E?" :rolleyes:

...though, I'm guilty of having a double stroller. :rolleyes1 But I'm very conscientious about when and where I stop, and have been known to scold anyone pushing the stroller if they stop in the way! In fact, I'm normally the one cruising at 100 mph around everyone stopping in the way. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter