Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies! - A Dec. 2013 TR *Completed

Welcome back!!! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy some family time and have a fun trip. Take your time catching up. We aren't going anywhere. :thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear about your new trip!

Love, love, love the series of Dumbo photos taken by your mom! That would be something that would happen to me when I try to plan things out in my head!

Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Can't wait to here about it all. We just got back Monday. Did we overlap?

Unfortunately, we just missed you guys. We arrived on the 12th. Which might be for the best. I don't think Disney could have handled 2 adorable little boys with glasses at the same time.:rotfl2:

Welcome home! I'm super excited to hear about both of your trips! :goodvibes

Thanks! It actually feels good to be home. A 13 month old can wear you out on vacation. :rotfl: I know I'm a few updates behind on your TR, it's next on my DIS to-do list! I cannot wait to read about Izzy and her CP breakfast.:goodvibes

Welcome back!!! I'm glad that you were able to enjoy some family time and have a fun trip. Take your time catching up. We aren't going anywhere. :thumbsup2

No, but the more I wait, the farther behind I get! One day I'll log on and go, "Oh, I only missed one update from So and So." Then, later that night, they've posted a whole new day's worth of report! DISers tend to be very reliable with their posts.:rotfl2:

Can't wait to hear about your new trip!

Love, love, love the series of Dumbo photos taken by your mom! That would be something that would happen to me when I try to plan things out in my head!

Hahaha, they were pretty hilarious. I remember showing them to my mom on the laptop later, and we were both in tears due to laughing so hard.
You can't make those kind of moments up!

Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks! It was certainly an adventerous trip. And, since you're on my facebook and probably already know what resort we stayed at, I can safely say, your updates were killing me with anticipation! I remember dragging Alex over to my computer to show him your pictures everytime you updated about your down time.

Welcome back!! Glad you had a good time, and I can't wait to read about it. :goodvibes

Thanks! Hopefully, I'll be able to start the report while everything's still fresh in my mind.

I hope you enjoyed! He is adorable :cutie:

Thank you!:goodvibes

Let's see if I can hash out a super quick update before the weekend. I desperately need to get this report back up and rolling. Nobody wants to see Christmas decorations in July!

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013:

In case anyone forgot, when I left for my trip I had just finished recapping my mother's interesting Dumbo photographs. The incident had lightened the mood considerably, and my merry group of three were ready to show my mother the rest of Fantasyland.

If you can believe it, she had actually not been to the Magic Kingdom since the new land opened. Everything was new to her.

So the first order of business was to take her on the Little Mermaid. Personally, I love this attraction. Putting aside the fact that it's based on my favorite Disney princess, it's just nice to take a step back and get immersed in a classic Disney style ride. Don't get me wrong, I love the coasters and the video game-like rides just as much as the next person, but I think I hold the dark ones in a higher light. Nothing screams Disney more to me than that simple setup.

And while I cherish going on Pirates for the hundredth time (there's nothing like it) and singing along to "In the Big Blue World" I think what makes Little Mermaid nice for me is the newness of it.

It's one I haven't seen and done a million times before; there's still parts of the queue I haven't explored, and I can't quite remember what comes after certain scenes.

As we approached the entrance, I caught sight of Eric's Castle for the first time at night.

It's kind of eerie looking.

Inside, we had to fight the masses to get to the front...

Landon was still asleep at this point, and when we reached the boarding zone, the Cast Member working made Alex flip him from his shoulder to chest so that the baby was facing forward.

This irritated Alex, because if you haven't picked it up yet, Landon was an awful sleeper, and a movement like that could easily wake him.

He was one of those babies that you had to have a very specific system for to get him and keep him asleep. Rock him a certain way, bounce him for five minutes, sway for 8 seconds, then stop, then start again, keep him on your shoulder if you're walking around.

I won't lie, I don't miss that part of his infancy.

My mom and I held our breathes as Alex sat down in his clam car and flipped the boy around. Landon must have been completely wiped out; he barely noticed the change in position.

The few others guests didn't know it, but they just dodged a major bullet there. A cranky baby waking up too early from a nap, only to be trapped in a seat by a metal bar?

No need for Ursula, Landon would have been villain enough!
:lmao:

All that aside, we entered the attraction, and I spent most of my time trying to take pictures and watch for my mother's reaction.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all my favorite scenes in certain rides involve fireworks. Little Mermaid, Soarin', Gran Fiesta Tour...

Doesn't take much to amuse me.

How Landon could sleep through all that music and movement is beyond me. (But let a text go off on my phone and oh gosh, he's awake!)

The sudden upsurge in ride intake (2 in a row?! With a baby?! That's racecar speed right there!) had worked up a thirst in all of us.

Luckily, I knew exactly the thing to try.

It was in this fellow's tavern:

While I am not the biggest apple juice drinker in the world, Alex loves the stuff, and for some reason I just knew a LeFou's Brew would be right up his alley.

My mom was really sweet and offered to buy one of the souvenir mugs for me. I think she was making up for the time we all had to eat microwave dinners at the hotel rather than pay park prices. That guilty conscience and all.

Actually, I think she just had a lot of extra money that she wasn't spending on booze.:rotfl2:

Either way, I wasn't going to complain. I saw the Belle goblet and thought, "Meh, why not? She's a princess. I like princesses. She likes books. I like books. She enjoys the color blue, and I'm pretty partial to it. I'll go with the Belle cup."

I turned to my mom, "I'll take the stein."

So off my mother went, Alex catching up to her inside after having gone off to goodness knows where. I stood near the doors with Landon still sleeping away. The hard life of an 8 month old.

As I stood there, Alex ran up to me and pointed to the souvenir cups on display. "Which of those do you want?"

"The stein."

"The stein?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I was starting to get a little perturbed. Why the heck was Alex giving me such a hard time about this?

"Not the goblet?"

"No!"

Alex cut me a weird look before we went and rejoined my mom. Confused about that whole conversation, I decided it would be best if I went and found us a table outside.

A few minutes later, the two spotted me sitting in our proclaimed seats, and my mom was carrying this bad boy:

A LeFou's Brew.

In a stein.

"Oh, oops. I guess I did want the goblet."

"I KNEW IT!" Alex rolled his eyes and launched into a mini tyraid.
"I knew you didn't want the stein! That's why I asked you about a thousand times! I just knew you wanted the Belle goblet. Gosh, I should've had you point to the one you wanted."

It took a minute or two for Alex to catch his breath. He wasn't upset at all that I'd completely forgotten all common sense for a minute or two and ordered the wrong cup; no, he was feeling overwhelmingly vindicated that he knew I was wrong and he was right. It was like the ultimate husband point that he knew ahead of time that I really wanted the Belle goblet and had actually taken steps to double check my answer. Undeniable proof.

Since such an occurrence doesn't happen too often (because I tend never to be wrong, of course. Ha Ha Ha) I allowed him to bask in his success for a minute or two.

"See, I'm a good husband, I know my wife."

All right, all right. You had your moment of glory, let's move on.

My mom took the first sip of the drink and scrunched up her nose. She'd gotten a big taste of the passion fruit foam, and it was too sour for her liking. Overall, she found the drink to be too sweet. Not a huge apple juice fan to begin with, she found the entire thing to be just okay.

And after taking a sip of my own, I agreed with her. It wasn't a bad drink, but I just don't know if I liked how much sweeter the marshmallows made the apple juice. I did, however, like that it was frozen. The consistency was a hit.

Alex loved it, just as I thought. (But did I gloat about it like he did? Okay, maybe a little.) He ended up drinking most of it and determined it to be his favorite snack thus far.

Landon woke up in the middle of our short hangout session, and Alex was so in love with the drink that he had to share some of it with the kid.

Of course, Landon thought it was the greatest thing in the entire world. But he was a very poor food critic, seeing as the sweetest things he'd had prior to that were fruit and one drop of ice cream.

I wish I were joking, but I'm not. He had yet to have any kind of desserts. Even now, the only time he's gotten sweets were on vacation.
The kid's going to beg to go to Disney just so he can get ice cream...

A great Disney memory right there.
Our kid's first taste of sugar, of apple juice, of marshmallows was the LeFou's Brew at the Magic Kingdom.

:rolleyes2

I'm sure that'll be a story we tell to him years down the road...

When the drink was finished, Alex ran to the bathroom to wash the STEIN out so he could store it away in P.I.T.A. There was a split second on panic from my mom's end when she saw him go to the trash can and thought he'd thrown away the cup along with the straw and used napkins we'd picked up.

"Don't throw that away!"

Alex held the cup in the air. "I got it, don't worry!"

My mother: "I know it's not the goblet, but you can't just throw it away and get another. Like it or not, you're stuck with Gaston."

I'm sure the man in question would have had a few choice words to say to my mom about that little comment, but fortunately he wasn't around, and Alex suggested we walk over to Ariel's grotto to check out the wait time.

Based on how few people were hanging out in the tavern and in line with us on Little Mermaid, we all felt we had a pretty good chance to catching a short wait for the meet and greet.

And luckily, our intuition paid off. There was only a 5 minute wait.

Perfect!

Since waking up, Landon was in an exceptional mood, wanting to try his luck at standing (this was still a fairly new concept for him) and smiling and laughing at the two young girls standing in front of him.

Landon had an absolute ball in the queue, and the mom of the two girls made for nice company. I can't remember what we talked about, but I do remember the conversation made the short wait fly by even faster, and the girls had a field day talking to Landon. Little did they realize that Landon was soaking up their every word, probably believing this was the whole reason we were standing in the line. So that he could be showered with attention.

As I said, the five minute wait was short and pleasant, and we all were in a great mood. A lot of that could have been because of the sugar high we were on, but what does that matter? In the end, all of adults were excited to see Landon's reaction to his first face character.

And my goodness, it was better than our wildest dreams!

For Landon, it was love at first sight.

I brought him over to the bench where Ariel was sitting, she turned around and dazzled him with the biggest, the best princess smile royalty could muster, and Landon was a goner. His whole face lit up, he began grinning and giggling, and he hung onto her every word.

Her first note?

"Why, aren't you just a little guppy!"

I don't know why, but that just made me laugh. It was cute and clever, and I'll be honest. I haven't done many princess meet and greets as an adult, so I hadn't heard any of their quirky jokes. And this one was one of those where you just kind of went, "Oh, guppy, ha ha, 'cuz he's just a baby."

I'm sure Ariel thought I wasn't the smartest seashell in the ocean.

We tried to get Landon to look at the camera for a second, but he just couldn't take his eyes off Ariel.

The Photopass photographer did an even better job at capturing Landon's joy.

"Look, Mom, a princess!"

Needless to say, Landon had found what made him happy at Disney World. Never mind the attractions, the parades, the new food, he was all about the characters. A beautiful girl to talk with and smile at that purposefully tries and make him laugh?

Yep, that was Landon's Must Do Disney.

Landon was very reluctant to leave his new girlfriend. He kept squirming, looking back over my shoulder, bouncing up and down in my arms when Ariel commented, "Oh, I'll have to tell Prince Eric about you!"

Walking back outside, I think my mom, Alex, and I agreed that that was the most shocking part of our Disney trip. We never expected in a million years for Landon to not only be receptive to the princesses, but to actually love meeting them. We expected the Pooh Bear reaction, because he was already familiar with him, and the Pixar meet and greets were pretty standard. So who would have guessed that the girls would be such a hit???

It was right then that I saw just how flexible parents have to be when planning a Disney trip with a baby.

Nobody can anticipate what their kid will love or hate beforehand, even if they enjoyed it on previous trips. You just have to try an assortment of shows, attractions, and meets and figure out what makes your little one smile the most. Then, when you make the discovery, you've got to shift your plans to accommodate that interest.

If you had told me on Thanksgiving, just three days before I arrived at Disney, that most of my trip would be concentrated on scoping out the Disney characters, I would have said you were nuts. That wasn't how I toured the parks! That wasn't my style.

But then I saw Landon's gigantic grin and knew I was going to do everything in my power to get my little guppy to meet as many princesses as possible.

Up Next: There's Something Wrong with this Scenario.

Last edited:
Still laughing about your dumbo experience!

Wow I'm so glad Landon stayed asleep! As a mother of a horrible sleeper I was holding my breathe for you!

Bummer you ended up with gaston instead of belle!

Gavin's first "sweet" was ice cream at o Hana at 9.5 months so you're not alone. He's only had juice when he was sick and he didn't like it even watered down. He wanted plain water after the first day. Breast milk tastes sweeter than sprite though. Gavin only gets bites of desserts and fries on vacation. You're right they are going to learn to like vacation for the food!

We are extremely picky about what Gavin eats too. We did buy some pretzels and goldfish for the trip but everything else was organic or non processed gmo free fresh stuff. I would've lost it if someone gave Gavin soda or sugary drinks! You handled it well! We did not share our lefous brew with Gavin in May lol

What a great Ariel interaction! Gavin was all about characters in May so we did a lot of meets too. I just went with it since you never know when that will change!

Looking forward to reading more!

Those Ariel pics are just precious.. I am beside myself over here, I can only imagine how you felt.. GAH... Only at Disney do you get those sweet smiles and magical memories! He is just too sweet for words. PERFECT LITTLE GUPPY!

Great photos at night too!

Let’s see if I can hash out a super quick update before the weekend. I desperately need to get this report back up and rolling. Nobody wants to see Christmas decorations in July!
But, if they do want to, they can read my TR. :rotfl2: Pretty sure I'll still be going...

Anyway, loved the update!!

I can't wait to ride Little Mermaid again. I've only done it once so far, therefore completely relate to the "newness" and not knowing what's next that you described. Awesome that the crowds were so low that night. Not so awesome that the CM had you adjust a sleeping baby. Thank goodness he was so wiped out! (If only he'd known this ride was devoted to his future girlfriend, maybe he would have woken up. :rotfl:)

Aw, that's too bad that you didn't get the goblet you wanted. But even worse that you had to deal with a husband gloat about you being wrong and him being right. At least you had a moment to do the same, I guess.

We let Izzy sample the LeFou's Brew and I didn't even think to worry about it, I guess. Which is maybe odd since we've never, to this day, given her any juice (other than the LeFou's Brew). I guess I consider travel kind-of a time for new experiences and sampling new things. Just like how we don't eat the same way in real life as we do at WDW. But, then again, I am an everything-in-moderation type person and it's not like she was consuming large amounts of it at that age.

I bet Landon had a great time in line, standing and flirting with the girls. :rotfl: We met that same Ariel! What a great meet you had with her!! So glad the Photopass person was snapping away - you have some awesome pictures that really capture his joy and excitement. Love it!! (And this totally backs up your comment on my TR about how wonderful it is to be surprised by what/who your kid ends up loving).

Yup! The Disney dark ride is the real Disney ride. Period.

:rotfl2: OMG I saw this coming. NO ALICIA!!!! YOU WANT THE GOBLET!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU HEAR ME (in the past)???

"We tried to get Landon to look at the camera for a second, but he just couldn’t take his eyes off Ariel." Yeah, I'm with ya there buddy!

Oh Alicia, those pictures are so fabulous. What a big smile!! That's some Disney magic right there!

Still laughing about your dumbo experience!

Wow I'm so glad Landon stayed asleep! As a mother of a horrible sleeper I was holding my breathe for you!

Bummer you ended up with gaston instead of belle!

Gavin's first "sweet" was ice cream at o Hana at 9.5 months so you're not alone. He's only had juice when he was sick and he didn't like it even watered down. He wanted plain water after the first day. Breast milk tastes sweeter than sprite though. Gavin only gets bites of desserts and fries on vacation. You're right they are going to learn to like vacation for the food!

We are extremely picky about what Gavin eats too. We did buy some pretzels and goldfish for the trip but everything else was organic or non processed gmo free fresh stuff. I would've lost it if someone gave Gavin soda or sugary drinks! You handled it well! We did not share our lefous brew with Gavin in May lol

What a great Ariel interaction! Gavin was all about characters in May so we did a lot of meets too. I just went with it since you never know when that will change!

Looking forward to reading more!

Normally, Alex is stricter than me on what foods Landon gets, so I was more surprised than anything that he gave him juice. To this day Landon hasn't drank anything but water and milk.

I can see why young kids enjoy the character meets, especially the face ones. I think if I was in their shoes and had to pick between a dark ride that's overstimulating or talking to a pretty girl, I'd pick the latter.:rotfl2:

Those Ariel pics are just precious.. I am beside myself over here, I can only imagine how you felt.. GAH... Only at Disney do you get those sweet smiles and magical memories! He is just too sweet for words. PERFECT LITTLE GUPPY!

Great photos at night too!

I was definitely having a "mom moment" in Ariel's Grotto. :rotfl: Even now, when people ask me how Landon did in Disney, I tend to talk about the girlfriend he picked up in the MK.

But, if they do want to, they can read my TR. :rotfl2: Pretty sure I'll still be going...

Anyway, loved the update!!

I can't wait to ride Little Mermaid again. I've only done it once so far, therefore completely relate to the "newness" and not knowing what's next that you described. Awesome that the crowds were so low that night. Not so awesome that the CM had you adjust a sleeping baby. Thank goodness he was so wiped out! (If only he'd known this ride was devoted to his future girlfriend, maybe he would have woken up. :rotfl:)

Aw, that's too bad that you didn't get the goblet you wanted. But even worse that you had to deal with a husband gloat about you being wrong and him being right. At least you had a moment to do the same, I guess.

We let Izzy sample the LeFou's Brew and I didn't even think to worry about it, I guess. Which is maybe odd since we've never, to this day, given her any juice (other than the LeFou's Brew). I guess I consider travel kind-of a time for new experiences and sampling new things. Just like how we don't eat the same way in real life as we do at WDW. But, then again, I am an everything-in-moderation type person and it's not like she was consuming large amounts of it at that age.

I bet Landon had a great time in line, standing and flirting with the girls. :rotfl: We met that same Ariel! What a great meet you had with her!! So glad the Photopass person was snapping away - you have some awesome pictures that really capture his joy and excitement. Love it!! (And this totally backs up your comment on my TR about how wonderful it is to be surprised by what/who your kid ends up loving).

I have actually seen that Ariel in your TR and Rob's (DisneyKid4Life's). She is one popular girl among the DIS. :lmao:

Yep, you just never know who your kid is going to get hooked on. Piglet, Ariel...it's a surprise each trip!

Yup! The Disney dark ride is the real Disney ride. Period.

:rotfl2: OMG I saw this coming. NO ALICIA!!!! YOU WANT THE GOBLET!!!!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU HEAR ME (in the past)???

"We tried to get Landon to look at the camera for a second, but he just couldn’t take his eyes off Ariel." Yeah, I'm with ya there buddy!

Oh Alicia, those pictures are so fabulous. What a big smile!! That's some Disney magic right there!

Alex and I were completely shocked by how much Landon loved Ariel. (Okay, maybe just me, I think Landon got it from his dad.:rolleyes2) And, of course, we didn't see the PP until a few days later in the room. Talk about being completely overjoyed and overcome with the Disney magic when I opened the webpage and saw those.

Those pictures of Landon with Ariel are the cutest things I've ever seen. :)

Aw, thank you! He was certainly giving Ariel his best smile!:goodvibes

Very cute pictures of Landon and Ariel!

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed Lefou's Brew because usually I'm not a big fan of beverages that are ultra sweet. But like you I think the frozen nature of the drink sold me!

My mom and I held our breathes as Alex sat down in his clam car and flipped the boy around. Landon must have been completely wiped out; he barely noticed the change in position.
I'd say that CM was very lucky... :lmao:

No need for Ursula, Landon would have been villain enough!
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: Yeah, I completely understand that sentiment.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that all my favorite scenes in certain rides involve fireworks. Little Mermaid, Soarin’, Grand Fiesta Tour…
And don't forget the float at the end of MSEP... :thumbsup2

It was like the ultimate husband brownie point that he knew ahead of time that I really wanted the Belle goblet and had actually taken steps to double check my answer. Undeniable proof.

Since such an occurrence doesn’t happen too often (because I tend never to be wrong, of course. Ha Ha Ha) I allowed him to bask in his success for a minute or two.

“See, I’m a good husband, I know my wife.”
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: He nailed it. Gotta give him credit. :thumbsup2

Of course, Landon thought it was the greatest thing in the entire world.
Grown up food is always a special treat.

I wish I were joking, but I'm not. He had yet to have any kind of desserts. Even now, the only time he’s gotten sweets were on vacation.
The kid’s going to beg to go to Disney just so he can get ice cream….
I certainly hope he still isn't dessert deprived. :lmao:

A great Disney memory right there.

Our kid’s first taste of sugar, of apple juice, of marshmellows was the LeFou’s Brew at the Magic Kingdom.
Seems like a great memory. A new tradition in the works. From now on, you'll just have to stop for one every trip. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

I brought him over to the bench where Ariel was sitting, she turned around and dazzled him with the biggest, the best princess smile royalty could muster, and Landon was a goner. His whole face lit up, he began grinning and giggling, and he hung onto her every word.
Was she paying attention to him and talking to him??? Well there you go. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

It was right then that I saw just how flexible parents have to be when planning a Disney trip with a baby.

Nobody can anticipate what their kid will love or hate beforehand, even if they enjoyed it on previous trips. You just have to try an assortment of shows, attractions, and meets and figure out what makes your little one smile the most. Then, when you make the discovery, you’ve got to shift your plans to accommodate that interest.
You've got that right. I never imagined we'd ride the Barnstormer approximately 56 times last trip, but hey, you do what you gotta do. I'm glad Landon found something he thoroughly enjoyed.

I totally agree about dark rides, and the Little Mermaid is a fantastic example!
I'd like to try LeFou's brew, but I don't really think I'd like it, judging by everyone else's descriptions of it. I'd say DH would though!
Ahhhh too funny about the stein/goblet mixup. But the stein is cute too. :lmao:
Landon with Ariel is so so so cute! What a fantastic interaction!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter