Why is renting a DVC villa so stressful?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
The first time we tried to rent a DVC property, we were too late (Sept. for a Jan. trip). This time, we are trying to secure something close to 11 months out and it's still a struggle. There seems to be so much uncertainty and waiting for something that might not even happen. I'm used to making a request/reservation and being done with it, but am quickly discovering it is not quite that easy. I've looked into 3 different resorts (PVB, BLT, and VWL) and none of them are guaranteed! There seems to be a wait for almost anything. What am I doing wrong? Is it because I'm not an owner?

If you're going through one of the brokers, they have to have the people with the availability to book at 11 months. Just because those services are there, doesn't mean that they have an infinite number of members with points for their "home" resort being the one you're looking to book.

Also, depending on what size room you're looking to get (studio, 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm, grand villa, etc) there are only so many of those rooms to start with. The bigger the room, the less of them there are and the quicker they're gonna go.

So, I understand why you're stressed about it. Also remember, that even if you use one of the rental sites, they don't necessarily guarantee anything. They can't stop a DVC member from being foreclosed on or something should your reservation go to that particular individual. They are just a middle man to help you get in contact with DVC members who use them to rent points.

If you were to own DVC, you would be solidly in control of the financial security of your DVC account. You would be able to book at 11 months (depending on room size and home resort) and as long as you have the points and the units are available, you'd be in.

So you may not be doing anything wrong. It just may be that whatever site you're using just doesn't have the renters to fit your needs.

If you're going through one of the brokers, they have to have the people with the availability to book at 11 months. Just because those services are there, doesn't mean that they have an infinite number of members with points for their "home" resort being the one you're looking to book.

Also, depending on what size room you're looking to get (studio, 1 bdrm, 2 bdrm, grand villa, etc) there are only so many of those rooms to start with. The bigger the room, the less of them there are and the quicker they're gonna go.

So, I understand why you're stressed about it. Also remember, that even if you use one of the rental sites, they don't necessarily guarantee anything. They can't stop a DVC member from being foreclosed on or something should your reservation go to that particular individual. They are just a middle man to help you get in contact with DVC members who use them to rent points.

If you were to own DVC, you would be solidly in control of the financial security of your DVC account. You would be able to book at 11 months (depending on room size and home resort) and as long as you have the points and the units are available, you'd be in.

So you may not be doing anything wrong. It just may be that whatever site you're using just doesn't have the renters to fit your needs.

We were initially trying to get 2 connecting studios at the Polynesian, but we were told this is the longest wait, but we thought studios would be easier to secure because they are smaller, and more of them. We were then told a 2 BR at BLT is a longer wait than a 2 BR at VWL, but still are both a wait. We keep changing our request in hopes something will work. We have looked at options directly through owners, but it seems like most of them are for OKW, SSR, or AKV. Is there a particular resort that we will have no wait at all to secure? Just so that we know we at least have something in place?

We were initially trying to get 2 connecting studios at the Polynesian, but we were told this is the longest wait, but we thought studios would be easier to secure because they are smaller, and more of them. We were then told a 2 BR at BLT is a longer wait than a 2 BR at VWL, but still are both a wait. We keep changing our request in hopes something will work. We have looked at options directly through owners, but it seems like most of them are for OKW, SSR, or AKV. Is there a particular resort that we will have no wait at all to secure? Just so that we know we at least have something in place?

You're trying for 2 connecting studios at the Poly... Not sure that even exists. Normally studios are connected to bigger rooms via the lockoff. So 11 months from now, you're looking for what, Christmas time? January? When is your trip? That's gonna have a lot to do with the availability. There's very high demand for 2 bdrms. You honestly have to find someone (whether direct or through a site) and be patient. Being impatient and continually changing your request only sets you to the back of the longest line. Keep in mind, you could be #1 or #2 on waitlist for the ressie you want, then you change your request and are now #15 in line somewhere else, then you go to go back to the first place and instead of front of the line, you're now told they're out.

Sorry I can't answer the question of is there something that will be instantaneous. You just need to find someone/place and put in a request and have a little patience.

You're trying for 2 connecting studios at the Poly... Not sure that even exists. Normally studios are connected to bigger rooms via the lockoff. So 11 months from now, you're looking for what, Christmas time? January? When is your trip? That's gonna have a lot to do with the availability. There's very high demand for 2 bdrms. You honestly have to find someone (whether direct or through a site) and be patient. Being impatient and continually changing your request only sets you to the back of the longest line. Keep in mind, you could be #1 or #2 on waitlist for the ressie you want, then you change your request and are now #15 in line somewhere else, then you go to go back to the first place and instead of front of the line, you're now told they're out.

Sorry I can't answer the question of is there something that will be instantaneous. You just need to find someone/place and put in a request and have a little patience.

Thank you! I think the being patient part is key. What you said makes complete sense.

Thank you! I think the being patient part is key. What you said makes complete sense.

When is your trip? Normally from October through the end of December is a nightmare to book, even for DVC members at 11 months out and that's ANY type of room, not just 2 bedrooms. I'm sure there are others here that will agree that trying for a 2 bdrm, at monorail resorts, around Christmas (if that's when you're looking) will have them telling you that even THEY couldn't probably get it without being waitlisted.

So the more options you're open to, the better. It's when you get overly choosy that you'll run into frustration.

1/6/18 to 1/13/18 (2 adults, 4 kids). We were considering 3 options:

-2 connecting studios at Polynesian (can be requested not guaranteed). We stayed at the Poly last month and LOVED it.
-2 BR at BLT
-2 BR at VWL

Briefly considered Boardwalk, but really want to be near Magic Kingdom.

Are any of these likely?

The answer to this is no unfortunately.But overall, SSR, AKLV and OKW are generally easier to book than any of the others.

The Boardwalk isn't bad... it's a short walk to Epcot and you could hop the monorail to the MK. Sure, it's not the closest thing, but it's not bad.

A big reason you might not be finding anything for those dates is that's normally around the time of the WDW Marathon. That's a HUGE draw. Actually the marathon itself is on 1/7.

So there's your reason you can't find anything.

All the studios at Poly except for 4 are connecting, because there are only studios in the three DVC buildings. So the chances of getting connecting studios is higher than other DVC properties. But now so many people are trying to rent points that the brokers are having trouble getting enough owners with points available for renting.
Denise

But now so many people are trying to rent points that the brokers are having trouble getting enough owners with points available for renting.

This is exactly what I pointed out, and it's not just renting, you're also going against DVC members that want to make reservations for themselves.

Also, the WDW Marathon is the weekend they're looking to go, so it's already a higher demand week(end) for units. So I can imagine that's throwing a big wrench in the DVC ressie books.

The Boardwalk isn't bad... it's a short walk to Epcot and you could hop the monorail to the MK. Sure, it's not the closest thing, but it's not bad.

A big reason you might not be finding anything for those dates is that's normally around the time of the WDW Marathon. That's a HUGE draw. Actually the marathon itself is on 1/7.

So there's your reason you can't find anything.

Would are chances be better waiting until after MLK weekend?

Again, you'd have to look at the events going on. The NFL Pro Bowl is slated to be there again next year. That books up a lot of units (that was the end of January). Most of the events are annual, some are even announced already for next year. You just have to find that list and see. Epcot also has that new Arts Festival running on weekends too. No word on if that'll be back or not, but chances are yes it will be.

Yes, most definitely. My experience has been that marathon weekend is one of the highest demand weekends of the year. I own at BLT and the 1BR I wanted for that weekend was gone 10 minutes after the 11-month window opened. Studios go fastest, then 2-BRs, and 1BRs are usually slowest.

I think a lot of Poly owners like me are not looking to rent out our points at this time and since other owners can't book yet, the wait time is definitely going to be there.
This!

One of the DVC rental sites is currently looking for 15,000 points for home resort booking requests for Poly. David's is no longer taking Poly requests through year-end in home resort for Poly. A lot of Poly owners bought smaller contracts and are already in bank-borrow purgatory. Others... they just bought! They aren't sitting there renting. They have a shiny new DVC membership! They're using their points.

And Poly isn't even sold through to the number of units declared.

Poly is an extremely tough get via brokers (or private, really), because the points just aren't out there to be rented.

Yes, most definitely. My experience has been that marathon weekend is one of the highest demand weekends of the year. I own at BLT and the 1BR I wanted for that weekend was gone 10 minutes after the 11-month window opened. Studios go fastest, then 2-BRs, and 1BRs are usually slowest.

Nope. Remember that the issue per the broker is not availability of the rooms - it's the availability of points they have to broker out to renters. When that's the issue it won't make a difference to move the dates later in the same month - they still won't have the points to rent until they get more owners signing up.

Either patience and see what has happened or keep an eye out to rent directly from an owner if one posts points to rent.

The first time we tried to rent a DVC property, we were too late (Sept. for a Jan. trip). This time, we are trying to secure something close to 11 months out and it's still a struggle. There seems to be so much uncertainty and waiting for something that might not even happen. I'm used to making a request/reservation and being done with it, but am quickly discovering it is not quite that easy. I've looked into 3 different resorts (PVB, BLT, and VWL) and none of them are guaranteed! There seems to be a wait for almost anything. What am I doing wrong? Is it because I'm not an owner?
If you're going to cont to rent I'd suggest you find a couple of owners you're comfortable with and go direct, esp for more difficult options.

Is there a particular resort that we will have no wait at all to secure? Just so that we know we at least have something in place?

OP, are you thinking that you should have a DVC rental reservation in place, and then can change it later? I don't think it works that way. From what I've heard, you cannot chance or cancel once you make the reservation. It's not like making a room-only hotel reservation, where you have to give a one night deposit to make the resie but you will get your deposit back in full if you cancel before a certain date.

This is from the website of a well-known rental company:
Can I cancel a reservation?
No. Due to the complexity of banking and borrowing points, cancellations, upgrades and date modifications are not permitted. You may explore the possibilities of adding Travel Insurance to protect yourself against unexpected situations. I do not provide this insurance, but you can obtain a very reasonable quote here: Travel Insurance Quote

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts