That's a pet peeve of mine. There's no excuse for a resort hotel of that caliber to not have balconies.
It's sounds dumb when I say it out loud but, it's really a big part of a vacation for me. It's how I feel immersed in wherever I am. Getting to view theme parks or fireworks etc are just a bonus. I mean I think about Cabana Bay and how awesome it would be to sit out listening and watching Volcano Bay. The view is great but a Balcony would add a ton of Value.

That's a pet peeve of mine. There's no excuse for a resort hotel of that caliber to not have balconies.

It's sounds dumb when I say it out loud but, it's really a big part of a vacation for me. It's how I feel immersed in wherever I am. Getting to view theme parks or fireworks etc are just a bonus. I mean I think about Cabana Bay and how awesome it would be to sit out listening and watching Volcano Bay. The view is great but a Balcony would add a ton of Value.

Agree with you both. We find the more we go (be it WDW or Universal) the more we take the time to relax and unwind, which for us means a balcony.

I think the balcony thing, while I agree I'd love it as well, is less common unless in specific areas.

Universal's hotels are a partnership with Loews, they are more like your normal hotel and that actually has been seen as a good thing when comparing to Disney's management styles. Also consider that the hotels that have balconies at WDW are the deluxe ones, ones that are in the DVC.

Vast majority of hotels just don't have balconies no matter their level unless situationally speaking (like a beach) for the most part that is or if they are part of a timeshare program.

I totally agree on liking balconies. We had one at AKL and it was great. We also got lucky at PBH once and had one of the first floor patios by the docks. The kids loved being able to sneak out the back door to catch the ferry!

Just a guess, but I suspect the logistics of balconies contributes to them being rare (in addition to the liability if someone falls). The patios on the first floor by the docks are easy to clean and maintain; they just need someone to walk by with the necessary supplies. To access a balcony, you need access each one through the attached room and the same supplies as the patios (which are likely different than what you need for room cleaning). That slows down the cleaning process, which increases costs...

If you are switching don't stay at POP or All Stars after staying at Cabana Bay. I did this my poor sister. She had to listen my complaints the whole time . "Were the pools always this small?" "I miss the Starbucks."
Cabana bay has: pool with water slide, lazy river, bowling alley plus probably the best quick service food in all the parks, along with suites that have an actual living area with closed off bedroom-comparable in some ways to DVC studios (minus full kitchen). Plus better transportation to parks. I’ve stayed at Pop many times but Cabana Bay is a hands down better in every way. Plus Swizzle Lounge is just FUN! Have had a couple custom drinks there from bartenders who enjoy coming up with concoctions-does lobby bar at Pop have that? (Oh wait…)
don't feel like UO has enough to do to keep me busy for an entire week
If you are used to run-run-run then no. But UO has some amazing theming and tucked away areas that people just rush past, then complain “not enough to do”. Taking time to appreciate details without having to run to next booked ride can easily eat up an entire morning for me. I love to catch Beat Builders show, or Blues Brothers or hang in AP lounge or watch Beetlejuice harass unsuspecting guests lol. Also you can actually spend time at resorts amazing pools without feeling guilty you should be maximizing park time because you spent a fortune on tickets.
You can very easily spend an entire day just between the 2 potter areas doing spells, rides, shows, snacks and still not do “everything” :)

Balconies and room views have never been a thing I cared about. They are adding a couple of hotels with the new park I think, I may be offsite any way.

Heading to CBBR tomorrow for 5 nights and looking forward to a lovely relaxing time.

Balconies and room views have never been a thing I cared about. They are adding a couple of hotels with the new park I think, I may be offsite any way.

Heading to CBBR tomorrow for 5 nights and looking forward to a lovely relaxing time.
I’m going to check in tomorrow for 2 nights at CBBR …I prefer the Pool view family suite interior entry.
I am returning for Halloween Haunted Daytime Tour (Oct 30 / 31 ) and need to ask about the special Halloween drinks at the Swizzle Lounge !
Last night I stayed one night at Dockside for the first time.
I loved everything about this place! Was totally surprised !
Def better than POP …and Starbucks and 2 great pools with great poolside Bars!
We stayed at CBBR for Super Bowl weekend fun and they played Pre Game and the Game on the big screens in their cafeteria for a huge Super Bowl Party! FUNFUNFUN

Last edited:
Your story could be mine as well. I didn't go to WDW until I was 30 yo and I was hooked! Until 2022 I was an AP holder for 20/25 years. With ALL increases in prices and decreases in attractions and value not to mention the number of places to SIT IN THE PARKS, I threw in the Mickey Towel and bought UO AP this year for HALF the cost of WDW AP renewal.

I threw in the Mickey Towel and bought UO AP this year for HALF the cost of WDW AP renewal.
We keep both going. I tell myself it’s worth it lol

I’m sure many were tempted to not renew their WDW APs. Problem with that is the moratorium on new ones is enough to keep many plugging away.

U tix have always been substantially less than WDW, thankfully.

when one would raise their prices, the other would jump on the train too.

i just hope that the powers that be at U don’t decide it might be the perfect time to challenge the market on either multi day passes or APs.

We have been fortunate enough to go with the Military Salute tickets and to stay in Shades of Green on most of our trips. Even those tickets have tripled in price.

The Universal offers for military are amazing. We've already talked about visiting there instead because we can get much more bang for our buck.

It makes me sad because I have always loved WDW. But, the pricing and the hassle are starting to outweigh everything else. It's just too much.
Exactly the same for us. We are going later this year and the price of a 4 day PH with genie + was over 2x as much as a universal pass, and the universal pass is good for the whole year.!

It’s a weird jump to make it to “liar” from me saying your statement isn’t true. Saying WDW *has* to increase prices to keep up with inflation is ridiculous.
Since WDW opened in 1971 the cost has gone up 8700% were as the salaries/household earnings has only gone up 1000%. To say that Disney is just keeping up with inflation is absurd. Do a hard search and see how much salaries have gone up for Executives. That is what is absurd. The three top executives at Disney easily have a combined salary of over 100 million dollars, not to mention bonuses, and that is just the top 3. The increase in their salaries has only happened in the past 7-10 years. It's just greed pure and simple. Money grab. WDW is usually incredibly crowded on any given day. I hear people speak of not being able to get a reservation for a park on a given day = no more room = maxed out. Well if you can't get more people into the parks but want to raise your salary by 10 to 20 million what do you do. Start charging for things that were free, reduce the number of employees drastically (don't want to hear they can't hire that is BS), etc.. so revenue goes up and you reach the benchmark that affords you some absurd bonus. Again, pure money grab. Also when you consider the last time Disney paid a dividend (portion of profits paid to shareholders) was 2019 it seems the top guys are keeping a lot of the profits to themselves. On so many levels it is nothing more that the executives lavishing themselves with cash. Keeping up with inflation, that's a laugh.

Since WDW opened in 1971 the cost has gone up 8700% were as the salaries/household earnings has only gone up 1000%. To say that Disney is just keeping up with inflation is absurd. Do a hard search and see how much salaries have gone up for Executives. That is what is absurd. The three top executives at Disney easily have a combined salary of over 100 million dollars, not to mention bonuses, and that is just the top 3. The increase in their salaries has only happened in the past 7-10 years. It's just greed pure and simple. Money grab. WDW is usually incredibly crowded on any given day. I hear people speak of not being able to get a reservation for a park on a given day = no more room = maxed out. Well if you can't get more people into the parks but want to raise your salary by 10 to 20 million what do you do. Start charging for things that were free, reduce the number of employees drastically (don't want to hear they can't hire that is BS), etc.. so revenue goes up and you reach the benchmark that affords you some absurd bonus. Again, pure money grab. Also when you consider the last time Disney paid a dividend (portion of profits paid to shareholders) was 2019 it seems the top guys are keeping a lot of the profits to themselves. On so many levels it is nothing more that the executives lavishing themselves with cash. Keeping up with inflation, that's a laugh.
Thank you! This was 100% my point, then my comment was removed as a personal attack for saying it was an absurd statement to make lol.

. The three top executives at Disney easily have a combined salary of over 100 million dollars, not to mention bonuses, and that is just the top 3. The increase in their salaries has only happened in the past 7-10 years. I
Imagine if they’d put that money into the parks-actual new rides not just rehashed something as a replacement-but actual expanding capacity. Kept Epcot up instead of turning it into IPcot. Invested in the parks instead of only going for ever increasing profits (now before someone jumps to “but it’s a business” I said ONLy going for profits. You can’t keep getting bigger profits with investing in the product). Uni is building an entire new theme park in time it’s taken Disney to do a single ride. I’m kinda wondering how much a jump UOAP will take in 2025…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter