Why do parks separate guests at turnstiles?

FortForever

Disney since Day 1
I have noticed that sometimes parks will have cast members directing people with different kinds of tickets to different sides to enter.

I also know that it doesn't really matter since we've been there when people in our group had both APs and and packages that tickets were on resort key. We all picked a side and entered together every time without incident.

What's up with that?

FortForever said:
I have noticed that sometimes parks will have cast members directing people with different kinds of tickets to different sides to enter.

I also know that it doesn't really matter since we've been there when people in our group had both APs and and packages that tickets were on resort key. We all picked a side and entered together every time without incident.

What's up with that?

They are transitioning between systems. Shouldn't last too long.

The people with RFID-enabled tickets go in one line and everyone else goes in the other.

I'm not sure where they're at in the transition. I was there about 4 weeks ago and only the resort guests had the RFID-enabled tickets. There may be others with them now.

KrazeeK120 said:
The people with RFID-enabled tickets go in one line and everyone else goes in the other.

I'm not sure where they're at in the transition. I was there about 4 weeks ago and only the resort guests had the RFID-enabled tickets. There may be others with them now.

I went through an RFID line with old Tyvek APs this morning at Epcot. When I eventually got to the turnstiles, the CM pointed me to a GR CM just beyond with a handheld swiper to read the Tyvek tickets. (A CM before the turnstiles told me anyone could go in any entrance at least this morning, but that could've been due to the immense crowds.)

Either they still have both methods working or we just picked the correct side every time. We were resort guests, but our tickets were on APs. Several people with us had their tickets on their room keys. We always entered together. :)

In any case, glad to hear it's just temporary.

I went through an RFID line with old Tyvek APs this morning at Epcot. When I eventually got to the turnstiles, the CM pointed me to a GR CM just beyond with a handheld swiper to read the Tyvek tickets. (A CM before the turnstiles told me anyone could go in any entrance at least this morning, but that could've been due to the immense crowds.)

We did have a person with a scanner scanning our tickets at several locations. I guess they were ready for people who didn't understand. ;)

We understood, but were bucking the system as we thought it was just some kind of counting thing going on. Like human inventory or something.

There are now three kinds of tickets: magnetic only, bar code, and RFID.

At some entrances, CMs use hand scanners for bar code tickets. This way, guests with invalid tickets are sent to Guest Relations before reaching the turnstiles. If bar code scanning is done at the turnstiles then the fnger scan is omitted.

The finger scan is sometimes skipped for everyone during some busy times. I think a better way is to keep the finger scan procedure but, during busy times the green light comes on after half a second after you put your finger on the scanner unless the computers can prove that the finge scan does not match within that fraction of a second. (If, for example, the system digests the fingerprint in three different ways for validation, if in half a second it completes only two of the methods it turns on the green light.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter