Why Disney Why...

Personally I would not want to be booking reservations and dining on the same day but I do agree about the 6 weeks. Makes it very annoying when they have unexpected ride closures or events. I can understand not having it at 120 days. But 60 days out they def should have the calendar. I would even prefer the calendar appearing 60 days out and ADRs becoming available 6 weeks out. At least ppl could plan around the calendar that way.
SAME.

This is fine but what if you are travelling a long way? Then you have to book flights much further out and *hope* that when you want to book accommodation there is something suitable! I get where he is coming from but it's more than just a hotel and dinner to plan for some!
I don't agree with my brother, and have told him so. He remembers the days where we lined up at City Hall at park opening to get Fantasmic! seating dessert seating, and walk up at Blue Bayou where you showed up and waited an hour and could get a table. He also doesn't own a computer (at age 40)... He likes "the good old days".

I distinctly remember my family just rolling up to Blue Bayou and getting seated. Sometimes we'd have to wait a bit in the lobby, but we always got in. One of the big decisions of the day would be where we would eat in New Orleans Square. 🙂. Am I really that old?
I too remember when you could walk up to the Blue Bayou podium at 11am and ask to get a table at the first seating. We were never turned down, and sometimes we even got waterside tables! Perhaps I am also old. 🤨
This just seems to remove equality of access to me. This means that you can do everything right and still not get anything because someone with a 5 day ticket got the ADRs you wanted 5 days before you could even try to get one. That would be horrible for ppl with shorter visits, to me, that is unfair. Right now everyone has the same chance and opportunity if they want to try for ADRs. Regardless of any advantages in knowledge.
Agreed -- and I think Disneyland has too many locals (or folks from throughout California and nearby states making relatively short trips not too far in advance) to cater specifically to multi-day guests.

So here..

Why can't Disney update their systems to tell you that reservations aren't available for that place yet? Because right now it just tells you no times available and if I wasn't connected to disboards and things I would think I completely missed them.. which if you are in any of the Facebook groups some newbies are thinking they completely missed them.

From my point of view, Disney has three options:

1) Keep it the way it is now
2) Just open the floodgates at day 60, and if they can't get the staffing, etc. needed, they just start cancelling ADRs.
3) Provide better messaging on the ADR's (ex. This restaurant on this day has not yet opened up for an ADR. Please come back later.).

They could also provide the paging alerts like the 3rd parties do, to even the playing field.

Honestly, I don't like #2, and I really don't know how much the messaging will help.

They obviously have some issues nailing down staffing, and unless that improves, the ADR's just won't all open up at 60 days.

Also, any of the special ADRs (Fantasmic, WOC, Savi, etc.) likely have additional staffing issues which have always (pre-pandemic included) had issues.

WDW is generally better, yes, but even they have had issues, even pre-pandemic. Example would be Frozen Dessert party, which always seemed to have delayed availability.

Great post with a lot of interesting takes.
Personally I don’t like the system as it stands as it really makes planning impossible. It 💯 will affect whether I continue to choose Disney over another vacation.
People who make multiple reservations and hold them with no intention of using them are also a problem.
The system is something Disney really needs to evaluate as I feel like some changes could benefit both the company and consumer.
The recent quote from Chapek suggests they don’t plan it…

“Well we always watch our demand. When you’re playing a yeild game like we are right now and you have the flexibility with our reservation system, we can move on a dime. We read demand. If demand goes up, we have the opportunity to do that. We have no plans to announce right now in terms of what we’re going to do, but again, we operate with a surgical knife here. We’re at a level of sophistication with our pricing that not only does it maximize shareholder value, but it enables us to provide a value to guests no matter what time of year they want to come.”
Bob Chapek

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter