Why Disney Why...

OK, I'm going to state the obvious here: the only reason folks are stressing over this is because they want to be able to jump on reservations and snag them before other guests do.

In other words, you are upset that Disney isn't making it easier for you to take a dining opportunity before someone else that also wants it...gets it. Someone that maybe didn't know exactly how the system works. Or is supposed to work. Someone that didn't set their alarm for 3AM exactly 60 days in advance, but just happened to randomly check at the "wrong" time, and got lucky. And people are complaining, because that is wrong and Disney shouldn't allow it to happen...according to them...

Well, allow me to present an alternative viewpoint: what if getting an ADR didn't require that people get up in the middle of the night and frantically poll websites and apps months in advance? Bleary eyed, heart racing, night after night, until the person was either successful (denying some other frantic guest that spot) or gave up in defeat...would it really be so horrible if Disney's system didn't push people to do this?

I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility. I've "benefited" from the current system in the past, too, but as time's gone on I'm increasingly less inclined to bother.

OK, I'm going to state the obvious here: the only reason folks are stressing over this is because they want to be able to jump on reservations and snag them before other guests do.

In other words, you are upset that Disney isn't making it easier for you to take a dining opportunity before someone else that also wants it...gets it. Someone that maybe didn't know exactly how the system works. Or is supposed to work. Someone that didn't set their alarm for 3AM exactly 60 days in advance, but just happened to randomly check at the "wrong" time, and got lucky. And people are complaining, because that is wrong and Disney shouldn't allow it to happen...according to them...

Well, allow me to present an alternative viewpoint: what if getting an ADR didn't require that people get up in the middle of the night and frantically poll websites and apps months in advance? Bleary eyed, heart racing, night after night, until the person was either successful (denying some other frantic guest that spot) or gave up in defeat...would it really be so horrible if Disney's system didn't push people to do this?

I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility. I've "benefited" from the current system in the past, too, but as time's gone on I'm increasingly less inclined to bother.

I don't disagree entirely....

But.. a restaurant can only hold so many people in a day. And there is high demand. It's no different then limited merch or limited lego sets or heck the PlayStation 5 that I seat alarms for to get for my husband.

So I think while we all wish ADR's weren't a thing.. they are because the demand is so high.

I have a hard time with the "folks who don't know the system and get lucky" because it goes against the wiring of my brain.. lol. But I do understand that sentiment. Disney certainly has an accessibility issue for the less tech savvy and less "in the know" folks.

But on the flip side... I'm spending a significant amount of money for our trip- including a huge chunk at a Disney hotel- and I would like to be able to cement our plans ahead of time based on the system Disney presents to me. I research and research because this is my money and I want a good experience.

But I don't disagree. What if Disney dropped ADR's all together? What it they only opened at 7am the day of? (Sound familiar?) .. So what if there were none? Just walk ups? Would that be chaos? Who knows.

I think what people are asking is that Disney just tell us the truth so we can plan accordingly. If they aren't going to drop at 3am then tell us. If they sometimes do and sometimes don't that's totally fine, but tell us. They could update their website daily to change the drop time if it changes. It doesn't require rocket science. What it does require is professionalism and integrity.

I think the reason people (including me) dislike this system is because there really isn't a system. I figured that after covid, things were going to be hairy for a while and I accept that. But at this point it seems that there could be a better way, and there probably is a better way for guests; I think this is just a better way for Disney. Pre-covid still had large numbers going to the parks but it wasn't hard to make dining reservations and it was a lot less stressful. It did, however, require live employees answering phones and emails. I always like using the vacation planner who would find dining reservations for you if you were staying on site. The current method creates a feeding frenzy and tends to create the urge to book multiple reservations "just in case". I myself am guilty of that. A day is available but it's not my preferred date/time. I won't know until coming days whether or not I'll find the time/date I really want so I book the first one that pops up.

I understand your stance to a point, but it is the above bolded sentences that I find a little aggravating. Why are you passing judgement on the people who have taken the time to research? It isn't a secret when the reservation system is supposed to open. A simple google search and 2 minutes of your time and anyone can find out. I don't understand the reasoning of making people who want to have their best vacation made to look like jerks because we are irritated that Disney isn't following their said protocol. :confused3

Sure, in a perfect world we wouldn't have to set our alarms with heart racing to get what we want. But don't hate the player, hate the game. (Which I do think you hate the game more, but I think you are passing judgment on some of the players too.)

If you have trouble getting Blue Bayou Fantasmic, get Hungry Bear Fantasmic instead. The reserved area is still pretty good and while you have to pay for a meal, you don’t have to actually take it or eat it.

re, in a perfect world we wouldn't have to set our alarms with heart racing to get what we want. But don't hate the player, hate the game. (Which I do think you hate the game more, but I think you are passing judgment on some of the players too.)
It's only a game if there are players. And rules.
If people insist on playing, then take away the rules. Disney seems to be doing that. Perhaps through incompetence or neglect, but for whatever reason, the result is the same:

If Disney does ADRs, but drops availability randomly, they will still fill the seats, and nobody will need to stay up all night waiting to pounce on tickets. Because that strategy won't work anymore. And "good riddance", says I.

I think what people are asking is that Disney just tell us the truth so we can plan accordingly. If they aren't going to drop at 3am then tell us. If they sometimes do and sometimes don't that's totally fine, but tell us. They could update their website daily to change the drop time if it changes. It doesn't require rocket science. What it does require is professionalism and integrity.
Can you show me where Disney states they are going to drop at 60 days at a specific time?

I think the problem for most people is Disneyland does NOT have a set drop time for their dining reservations. "Reservations are offered up to 60 days in advance at select restaurants throughout the Disneyland Resort and, due to limited availability, they are highly recommended."

Savi's and Droid don't have a sold out day between now and Oct. 1st. Memorial Day weekend, we walked up and walked in.

If people insist on playing, then take away the rules. Disney seems to be doing that. Perhaps through incompetence or neglect, but for whatever reason, the result is the same:

If Disney does ADRs, but drops availability randomly, they will still fill the seats, and nobody will need to stay up all night waiting to pounce on tickets. Because that strategy won't work anymore. And "good riddance", says I.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I get your intentions, but Disney has made themselves a planning destination. I fully agree they aren't playing by their rules and we are getting frustrated because they don't give a hoot. But to just quit the game and have it be a free for all is not my jam. If I am traveling 2000+ miles and plunking down my hard earned money, give me the game!! (and I am lucky in that regard because I don't have to stay up all night, I just set my alarm ;))

And as a reminder, Fantasmic! doesn't run weekdays during the off season. In case people were trying to get Fantasmic! reservations for M-Th.
Yep! Great to remind folks tho. Blue bayou Fantasmic hasn't dropped for any October weekends yet.

Can you show me where Disney states they are going to drop at 60 days at a specific time?

I think the problem for most people is Disneyland does NOT have a set drop time for their dining reservations. "Reservations are offered up to 60 days in advance at select restaurants throughout the Disneyland Resort and, due to limited availability, they are highly recommended."

Savi's and Droid don't have a sold out day between now and Oct. 1st. Memorial Day weekend, we walked up and walked in.
This is my point right here. Disney has never said a time ADRs drop, that's just us planners that know all the ins and outs and then get upset when something changes despite the fact that Disney never said "ADRs for X and Y restaurants will drop 60 days in advance at 6am PST".

They never mentioned a time and they never mentioned which restaurants and their wording says "up to" 60 days. So the 60 days drop is not a guarantee either, just the earliest possible date. I get the frustration, waking up early to do ADRs and and having them not drop as expected not only disrupts sleep schedules but creates uncertainty in planning. But it's really us who created those expectations, not Disney.

This is my point right here. Disney has never said a time ADRs drop, that's just us planners that know all the ins and outs and then get upset when something changes despite the fact that Disney never said "ADRs for X and Y restaurants will drop 60 days in advance at 6am PST".

They never mentioned a time and they never mentioned which restaurants and their wording says "up to" 60 days. So the 60 days drop is not a guarantee either, just the earliest possible date. I get the frustration, waking up early to do ADRs and and having them not drop as expected not only disrupts sleep schedules but creates uncertainty in planning. But it's really us who created those expectations, not Disney.
I suppose that's true, though one could argue that those posting these times are the people Disney invited often to media events, gives insider scoops too, uses them for marketing and sharing information, and allows all of them to use version of the Disney or park names in their websites and social media handles..

I also just found another plan Disney blog post from June 2022 that states reservations open at 3am...

I think it's okay to be a bit annoyed by the randomness.

But there are already dining alert programs available. So random drops wouldn’t eliminate a “game”, it would just mean that dining alert programs (which are already in use) would be even more essential to snag reservations. Don’t see how it changes anything.

I do wonder what would happen if every table service was walk-up only. Even if it meant that the entire restaurant was booked for the day shortly after park opening. It might spread out rope drop crowds more as some people might choose to “rope drop” putting their name in to restaurants.

Exactly right.

I agree that "we" (collectively) have figured out how their "system" works, and how to best exploit that knowledge. We are members of an (increasingly less) exclusive club. But what about the folks (and there are many many of them) that never joined that club for whatever reason? I feel they also deserve to have a shot at dining in the best places at the best times. Even if that means that I sometimes don't get the reservations I want.

Besides, I know I will still have a great time even if I cannot get those reservations. Most people will. Disney and influencers have created this sense of FOMO, urgency and scarcity that didn't always exist. To some extent, it is toxic and corrosive. It eats away at our enjoyment of the parks, and pits us against each other.

And to what end? Instead of simply looking forward to carefree days at the park (for which we have paid dearly) we are stressed out, nervous and obsessive. I say "we" because I am just as guilty of it as anyone. I've set my early morning alarms, and "screamed into the night" when I still didn't get my preferred ADRs. Or cheered when I did. Did it make me happier? In hindsight, not as much as I thought it would. And I've found that just showing up to the parks, and seeing what happens, almost always exceeds my expectations. And generally costs less, too.

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't plan. But a trip to Disneyland shouldn't make people feel stressful and filled with regret. I wish that Disney made it easier for all of us to enjoy our visits without having to experience any of the negatives that sometimes accompany that. Wishful thinking, I know, but I still wish it.

You're right. Where DID we get 6am from?

While it's absolutely true that we (guests) have created this booking frenzy in a mad dash for reservations, it's not like we did it from scratch. What other way could it have gone once they designed a reservation system that is online only, has no feedback or interaction, and almost instantaneously books out solely on a first-come, first-served basis? It's a very vicious cycle; bide your time and find that the reservations you want are gone, or check at the crack of dawn or earlier 60 days out from your time window because now it may be the only way to have a stake in the game. Boom, that cements the system and is now the norm.

Do I have a solution? No, not really. I just feel that there wasn't this issue before and believe--or maybe hope-- there is a better way of having an equitable way for people to get reservations.

just feel that there wasn't this issue before and believe--or maybe hope-- there is a better way of having an equitable way for people to get reservations.
I distinctly remember my family just rolling up to Blue Bayou and getting seated. Sometimes we'd have to wait a bit in the lobby, but we always got in. One of the big decisions of the day would be where we would eat in New Orleans Square. 🙂. Am I really that old?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter