Why Castmembers Hate DVC Members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting post. We sure know that there are tons of DVC members who demand special seating by the pools by leaving towels on chairs early in the day, then disapearing until god knows when. Good DVC members? I think not. On the other hand, right from the start there were some CMs at OKW who had an attitude. Any old time DVC member will remember them. Most seem to be gone now. I still wonder what happened to the 200 new fiction and mystery books I donated to the Community Hall for the library they had there. 5 months later there was not a one in sight. Don't know who to blame there, but I suspect more members than CMs.
By and large, CMs have been great, but I can't always say the same for other members. I don't blame OP for most of the comments, though perhaps they could have been better worded and not so general.

Now I gotta wonder if we are on the "naughty list" when we complained (nicely) about the incredible amount of clorine that was in the VWL pool 2 years ago. It literally bleached out 3 swimsuits and destroyed the finish on sterling silver jewelry. MY DDs eyes were burning for hours. They did close the pool for a day after they tested the water.. but the manager sure didn't want to compensate us for the ruined swimsuits. She credited us $40.00 total. Oh well.. we didn't let it bother us. I really was more concerned about possible health problems in the pool than our swimsuits.

And if you are telling the truth about the "naughty list" there would be one heck of a fish to fry if it ever got out.

DrTomorrow said:
I believe that a lot of folks use the DIS DVC forum to vent about issues that bother them. I don't believe that this necessarily means that they treat the CMs they talk to with anything less than respect. I may grumble to my DW about something that I'd never seriously raise a fuss about with someone else....

That's a good point Dr Tomorrow.

Chuck S said:
It sure would be interesting to do an IP check and see "where" the OP is actually from.

I don't think he or she will be back to comment, even though comments were welcomed.

jennymouse said:
OP, if you're not a CM and this post is bogus, I've got something for you...
Troll Be Gone repellent?

BAAHAAHAAHAA! That's funny.

Don't think it's a troll though. Too conciliatory. Just an overwhelmed CM who, admittedly "has not worked at WDW that long".

Reading this has made me wonder. Is it going to be different being a dvc member? I thought I was joining a happy family. Now I am reading the word HATE in my vacation club forum from an employee!!
We, the guest have bad days as well, and sometime dont say the things you want to hear, but this is your job. You are a Disney employee and should not care who you are dealing with, poor, rich,dvc, non-dvc, spoiled, dirty, even mean yes even mean. How they are acting or who they are is there problem. You should smile and help them to the best of your abilty, show them you are better. If you cant help send them to someone more fit to deal with there problem. And smile! Good things come to good people. Not may raises lately I bet? Hateful people get what they deserve in the end. In life we all must deal with people and situations that we dont love. The great people make the best of it and dont cry. You should be fired.. you "naughty" employee..
Sorry everyone!!! I couldnt help it.
I really hope you are able to find that happy place one day.
Sad Rookie

I can't believe you are all answering this guy. I learned myself the hard way not to dignify this type of post.

The comments about mortages lowering the class of DVC. Should have been the the first tip off to just stop reading. :rolleyes: The manner in which people treat those in the service industry is a matter of personnel class, that can not be bought it can only be learned.

I will not myself dignify this nasty OP.
Other than to say KUDOS to all the wonderful CM's I have dealt with in my time at DVC properties...
Lorenzo, Lauren, Camille, are just a few at the Boardwalk that I feel have provided me wonderful service experience.
Richard at the Beach Club as well, even though I had problems he dealt with them professionaly and with grace.

We've only been members since 2000, and we have never had a complaint or issue with the room worthy of complaining to anyone about.

I guess we beat the odds for the "Charter members are best" standard.

With 80,00 DVC members, I think it truly unlikely that most (40,001) are the rude demanding type. I would also suggest that the problem members stand out a little more prominently than do others.

Wait, we did have one problem, filthy sheets on the pull out sofa bed at VWL one time. We called the desk and they came up and immediatley changed the sheets for us. Problem solved. The maanager was not satisfied with changing the sheetes, and literally demanded that we let her buy us breakfast the next morning. We thanked her but declined, as we considered the problem addressed appropriately. The next morning at check out, we discovered the pizza we had ordered the night before (prior to finding the dirty sheets) was paid for by the front desk!

Seems she was really into customer satisfaction.

This also was the same day we captured Saddam. Free pizza and a terrorist in the can!!

I happen to be on new DVC member that has yet to use my points. When I purchased them the sales lady told me that a huge majority of members come from the area of New Jersey (where I am from) New York and Penn. I have to tell you that I am not going to apologize for where I come from. I certainly don't need to be told to how to tip everyone since I tip the guy who pumps my gas to the cast member that painted my daughter's face. I do think that in the past few years the quality of cast members has declined. Now I refuse to state what hotel I stayed at this past November but the bartender did nothing but complain about working for Disney and when guests left after buying a drink he would make fun of them, and not in a cute way. My hotel room was barely cleaned, never vacuumed and the maid left the garbage bags with the garbage in them on the beds twice during our 10-night stay. I have a 7 year old daughter that truly believes in the magic and would return every night to the room looking for some kind of surprise left by the maid that she seen in windows of other rooms in our resort and never once found one. Now I understand that they are working and are busy but in 10 days she couldn't get surprised once? I refuse to ask for that type of treatment that would be self-absorbed. The money I spent in the resort was a real disappointment. Despite all that it is still the greatest place on earth and if it weren't for other cast members in the Theme Parks and other hotels we visited for dinner I would have never joined the club. If me being a lowly Police Officer of the NY metropolitan area bring the DVC down, OH WELL, I AM SORRY! You know, after the terrible service I received at the hotel I stayed at I never complained for fear that it may hurt that cast member and I do understand that they are just trying to feed their family and I still left a generous tip (Not that it is any of your business) Let's not forget where the term T.I.P.S. come from "TO INSURE PROPER SERVICE" and despite the fact of the Crappy service at my hotel I still left a very sizable TIP. If you as a cast member had a bad experience with a person from New Jersey I am sorry for you but unlike you I did not cast disparaging remarks at all cast members for the truly un-professional behavior of a few I had the misfortune to run into. I lost some really good friends 3.5 years ago all at once and I love to go down to WDW and just become a kid again and meet cast members that are friendly. I don't expect special treatment but I do expect cast members to be friendly. I see a trend at WDW where the little guy that saves all his pennies to bring his family for a week or so seems to fall through the cracks but again I still dropped over 5K in cash to join the DVC with the hopes that may change but your post does tend to make me wonder if I did the right thing. If other cast members just sees my family and me as "New Jersey Scum". My money is OK tho, esp. in TIPS.

I agree. Society in general has taken a dive. I know of DVC cast members who are also owners. They marvel at Disney and also the vacation club. I have been a member since 1994 and also notice the lack of courtesy that continues to increase. I try to be very grateful to the cast members at my resort. They always seem pleasant for the most part. You can't please all the people all the time. It is still magical and I don 't regret spending the money for my points.
However, it pays to make a post like wdwzues because it brings us all back to reality. It is hard to think like you are at home and not be upset when something goes wrong or are treated poorly by cast or by other guest.
Bill

I might as well offer my 2 cents. I am from NYC and I also work for the City of New York.As a public servant I take alot of abuse from the general public who feel because they pay taxes they pay my salary and as a result can say anything they feel like.I understand this perfectly and when it gets to the curseing stage I generally will just leave the scene.the one thing I never do is lose any sleep over the matter because I undertsood this could happen when I took the job.If you are a thin-skinned person some jobs just are not for you.This being said the clerk at the front desk is one of those jobs.I do agree that some folks feel since buying into DVC that everyone works just for them.I have heard some idiotic conversations at the front desk and I also have talked to some bellman who say they have been stiffed by certain people.I tip everyone often and alot ( thats my motto )and because of this a few bellman have always remembered our family when we pull up.I find if you treat people with respect they try to reciprocate.Now on the other side why is it when you do have a problem it takes 3 cm's and a supervisor to come up with a solution?I have had a problem with a room and it was'nt the view.and it took all day to get fixed.These are the frustrating situations that can send anyone off the deep end.What the CM's need to understand is most of us have traveled a long distance to get here and we just want a room and get settled in.So when you drive 19 hours for a non-smoking room thats what you expect to get.My wife is very proud at me for never losing my temper while on vacation.( i guess I break the sterotype of a new Yorker)
But I have felt that maybe if I did yell I would have gotten what I wanted sooner.I believe people from the north east feel that you should get what you pay for and not settle for less,and some will be more vocal about it then others.

Perhaps I should have read the replies before I went off. I read the reply from LibertyBelle in post #53 ( a Cast member) and I drew a sigh of relief. I was so blind sided my last trip in November by that rude bartender that it shook me. It is great to see a Cast Member that enjoys their work and takes ownership in her work. It is people like you that made me break down and drop the money I did to join the DVC. Thanks LibertyBelle, I look forward to my first trip to the DVC December 2005 to OKW and I hope I run into you.

Cheers

Wow! Some points are well taken - but I don't think DVC members should be singled out as much as hotel guests in general which can then be transferred to people in retail (worked for 10 years while in University - don't even get me started!) or restaurants, public service, etc... My point is that (as most others have said), life is about conducting yourself with decency and tact in order to remember that practically everything we do as humans affects other humans, period. If I want to be treated with respect and dignity, then I should treat others with respect and dignity. Unfortunately the world is greatly lacking in this at the moment, and in my humble opinion everytime we go to Disney World (this year will be 3 trips), I see the worst in human behaviour and it just seems to get worse! That being said, the original OP seems to hold quite predjudiced views in his/her choice of words regarding financial status, and hopefully will learn quickly that it money is not related to human decency at all! People are mean and cruel for a variety of reasons, period!

Hopefully this person finds a career choice that he/she can tolerate better! Tiger

You make it sound like money is the issue. I think you would be surpriced to find out how much money some of those rood people make. YOU HAVE ISSUES!!!!!

I really think the real root of this problem is one word that I and others have mentioned in passing.

ENTITLEMENT.

It is an ugly word, but it is a reality for a (I suspect) small segment of the DVC membership. They really feel because they own in DVC they are entitled to the sun, moon and stars above.

Wrong.

The ONLY thing we as DVC members are entitled to whatever room(s) we can get with those points in DVC's system. That is our one and only deal. But this small few who view their points as an 'investment in Disney' who then feel they are owed something substantial beyond that special deal of a room better than rooms at the deluxe resorts.

I can state a specific instance here from one of the DCL cruises.

Someone, not a DISer, who was chatting with others in line while waiting for the WD theater to open for a show, kept going on and on about 'his iniquity' or somesuch fancy word to describe what turned out to be him just owning DVC points. I am sure he is one of those if he don't get every CM he runs across throwing themselves prostrate on the floor in front of him he get insulted because he invested money there.

I'm sure these people are out there. And no they arn't a huge segment. but they have to be very wearing on the CM's who have to deal with them over and over and over. That can and I am sure does lead to some being resentful of they way they are treated by said guests.

Well, I never requested a room change until last Nov when we checked into BWVs. But I couldn't use my master bdrm window since it opened right onto another person's balcony!! If nothing had been available I would have just made do. But, Alfredo, the manager at BWV, was incredibly accomodating. He did find us another room, but it was still occupied. So, onto another room. All told this took about 2 hours. Alfredo told us we would have a credit on our bill. I told him that no, that wasn't expected or necessary. Please, we would be fine. But, it was there when we checked out. So, I guess I could be one of those naughty people...looking for a room change. But, I did try to be nice about it...not demanding or rude.

We tip very well, even when housekeeping only brings fresh towels. Or even when bell services only stores our stuff and just brings it out to us. I suppose that there are some people that truly could be called 'naughty' but for the most part, the DVC'ers that I have seen are pretty good people. Certainly nothing that would detract from a resorts 'ambiance'.

Sorry if this is repetitive. I haven't read through all the posts.

Assuming the OP is an actual CM, which is highly doubtful, the supposed chronicled list of complaints could have come right off the resorts board as well as the DVC board. These are pretty general beefs that happen everywhere. Attributing these exclusively to DVC members makes one think the OP is not a CM at all, but someone with an incredible case of DVC envy.

Lament of the forlorn CM:
"I love all of humanity, it's the PEOPLE I can't stand".

Good luck in your "new" position.

Just wondering whats the record for the highest number of posts in a thread in the shortest time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter