Why are cast members putting so many people in a ride vehicle?

I did notice this on our recent trip. The rides I noticed it most on were: People Mover; iasw; BTMRR; Pirates; The Land; and Mexico. I am only counting the times when these attractions were walk-on, which I thought odd as it happened on several occasions. After the first time, I just told others in the party to take another row, as the CMs weren't even loading the full vehicle/boat.

This has been an issue our family (of four adults) noticed over the last few years. We've gotten into the habit of splitting into parties of 2 for Gran Fiesta, IASM, Living With the Land, Pirates, etc. I don't even care if there's a wait or not - it's just not fair to cram people in uncomfortably, and it happened too many times for us. It's bad enough when I'm sitting on my sister's lap, but there's no way I'm going to sit on Pirates for 9 minutes trying not to awkwardly touch a stranger in places strangers shouldn't touch.

And it DEFINITELY happens on Great Movie Ride a lot. Over the summer, I was literally squatting in the row because we couldn't fit with the family they tried to squish in with us, so my sister took it upon herself to move us both into another row.

My advice: split your party. You might still get crammed in, you may get split into separate boats, but at least you tried. Some CMs have common sense...but some of them just have capacity recommendations for loading.

We had 6 people-3 adults and 3 children. They crammed us in 2 rows for Splash Mountain. 2adults and a child DO NOT fit. We couldn't gt the bar pulled down! :scared: -and e are not large people but it was obvious it didn't work.

We had 6 people-3 adults and 3 children. They crammed us in 2 rows for Splash Mountain. 2adults and a child DO NOT fit. We couldn't gt the bar pulled down! :scared: -and e are not large people but it was obvious it didn't work.

They tried to do that to us once in the summer, and we were all adults! That was the days before the lap bar...we just made the CM mad and got in rows of 2!

I can't imagine why they would try to cram three people of any size in a Splash Mountain row when the seats are clearly designed for two - they have two indentations in them.

I'm pretty sure this is their answer to "capacity problems". They can make the line move faster if they cram more people into a seat. Wahla...capacity problem solved. pixiedust:

I'm pretty sure this is their answer to "capacity problems". They can make the line move faster if they cram more people into a seat. Wahla...capacity problem solved. pixiedust:

And then the people are having such a bad time on rides they go back to the hotel.

I should have mentioned when I was talking about our Small World experience. This is before DH and I realized what was going on with our weight. At that time DH was pushing 400 and I was solidly over 200. And the seater insisted that he did want us to get in with the other couple. Seriously unpleasant for everyone on that boat.

At the time, what did we know? Thought it was some weird WDW thing that DLR doesn't do. First trip to Orlando.

I refuse to"let" anyone "cram" me into anything...I'll just wait for the next ride vehicle...I would like them to try it...6'4" 300+lbs of man...I don't think so!;)

I refuse to"let" anyone "cram" me into anything...I'll just wait for the next ride vehicle...I would like them to try it...6'4" 300+lbs of man...I don't think so!;)

A couple of years ago, I missed getting on one of the safari trucks. The CM told me, my mom, and my husband to join the party of two just ahead of us. The man turned and looked at the CM and said "are you kidding?". The CM just laughed and said "no you'll all fit, just squeeze together a little". My husband, then my mom squeezed on and everyone tried to make space, but no way was there anyway. There was simply no space at all left. It wasn't even close. There was just no way five overweight people could possibly fit on that seat. We were all overweight and the other couple were even bigger than we were (we're talking in the 300lb range). There was just no way. The stupid CM just kept saying "you'll all fit, just squeeze a little tighter". I got very embarrassed and told my husband and mom I would meet them at the exit. The clueless CM finally realized just how angry we all were and apologized, but because all the rows were filled by that time didn't know what to do, other than ask my mom and husband to get back out. I told them never mind, I'd just meet them at the exit and walked off. When I met up with my family after they rode, my husband told me both he and the other man in their row really gave the CM a tongue lashing for trying to squeeze all of us in that seat and embarrasing me. The CM's response was that usually five people will fit in those seats. A man in the row ahead of them turned to her and sarcastically said 'who? a skinny couple with three tiny skinny kids maybe but not five normal size adults'. It seems like the whole truck was angry with her for insisting on trying to squeeze five overweight adults in there. lol

On our last trip, October 2013, we had FP+ for POTC. Right after we got in line it shut down. A family of 5 in front of us left after waiting 20 minutes. The line started moving at 30 minutes, and we were put in the front row of a boat with another couple. I think they were pushing maximum capacity to get the wait times down.

The first drop was the wetest ride experience in all of WDW for all of us in the front row. Huge wave came over the front of the boat and we were all soaked to the skin. On POTC!!! Never ride with more than 2 adults per row! No matter how insistent they are.

After one very squished ride on the Great Movie ride which I love, I've learned to leave plenty of space on my left side and if someone tries to move me over I am NOT moving.

This squish you in thing has been happening on the Movie ride for some time. I will not move over to the point that I am in physical contact with a stranger, or worse still, someone's young child.

A couple of years ago, I missed getting on one of the safari trucks. The CM told me, my mom, and my husband to join the party of two just ahead of us. The man turned and looked at the CM and said "are you kidding?". The CM just laughed and said "no you'll all fit, just squeeze together a little". My husband, then my mom squeezed on and everyone tried to make space, but no way was there anyway. There was simply no space at all left. It wasn't even close. There was just no way five overweight people could possibly fit on that seat. We were all overweight and the other couple were even bigger than we were (we're talking in the 300lb range). There was just no way. The stupid CM just kept saying "you'll all fit, just squeeze a little tighter". I got very embarrassed and told my husband and mom I would meet them at the exit. The clueless CM finally realized just how angry we all were and apologized, but because all the rows were filled by that time didn't know what to do, other than ask my mom and husband to get back out. I told them never mind, I'd just meet them at the exit and walked off. When I met up with my family after they rode, my husband told me both he and the other man in their row really gave the CM a tongue lashing for trying to squeeze all of us in that seat and embarrasing me. The CM's response was that usually five people will fit in those seats. A man in the row ahead of them turned to her and sarcastically said 'who? a skinny couple with three tiny skinny kids maybe but not five normal size adults'. It seems like the whole truck was angry with her for insisting on trying to squeeze five overweight adults in there. lol

That's just crazy. That CM should have apologized and given your entire group FPs to ride together. Or the rest of your party should indeed have gotten off. I know I would have.

See.....WDW doesn't need to build many new attractions. They just need to "squeeze" more people onto the ones they have.

It's all good.

:thumbsup2

See.....WDW doesn't need to build many new attractions. They just need to "squeeze" more people onto the ones they have.

It's all good.

:thumbsup2

That's pretty much what they have stated. Along with a declaration that they will not get into an arms race of rides with Universal.

We went during the first part of February of 13. We were a group of 12 total, but rarely traveled as a full group, normally just 3, 4, 5 or 8. We had little "cramming" happen to us and overall rode with just our group.
The two exceptions to this were:

1. We were packed into the HM stretching room with total strangers! I mean, I had to stand there with at least 5 people I'd never met breathing the same air as me for almost 3 MINUTES!

2. After exiting the boat at Maelstrom, we hurried to the theater to see the film. There was 5 of us this time. We wanted to sit 3 and 2 (so mommy and daddy could have a little "privacy", dontcha know!). But then 2 other people from the boat behind us rudely tried to pack into our row at the same time! The should have waited for the next showing, as I am pretty sure they were just trying to rush from ride to ride anyway.

Also, I am so tired of cramming at restaurants. Luckily, we were a party of 12 at Coral Reef, or the "Grouper" might have tried this with us. We saw what appeared to be a queue for Single Diners staged out front. When we got inside, it became obvious that these Single Diners were being seated at tables where an odd number were already seated. I mean, really Disney? Do you know how awkward it is trying to figure out split-checks with people you like, let alone complete strangers? They never want to go halfsies, or want to argue that they only ordered water while you drank 3 bottles of white.

Maybe Disney should look into making more parades. Parades always seem to draw people off the ride queues. Less riders = less cramming. Maybe then I can get my own horse on the carousel finally. :stir:

We went during the first part of February of 13. We were a group of 12 total, but rarely traveled as a full group, normally just 3, 4, 5 or 8. We had little "cramming" happen to us and overall rode with just our group.
The two exceptions to this were:

1. We were packed into the HM stretching room with total strangers! I mean, I had to stand there with at least 5 people I'd never met breathing the same air as me for almost 3 MINUTES!

2. After exiting the boat at Maelstrom, we hurried to the theater to see the film. There was 5 of us this time. We wanted to sit 3 and 2 (so mommy and daddy could have a little "privacy", dontcha know!). But then 2 other people from the boat behind us rudely tried to pack into our row at the same time! The should have waited for the next showing, as I am pretty sure they were just trying to rush from ride to ride anyway.

Also, I am so tired of cramming at restaurants. Luckily, we were a party of 12 at Coral Reef, or the "Grouper" might have tried this with us. We saw what appeared to be a queue for Single Diners staged out front. When we got inside, it became obvious that these Single Diners were being seated at tables where an odd number were already seated. I mean, really Disney? Do you know how awkward it is trying to figure out split-checks with people you like, let alone complete strangers? They never want to go halfsies, or want to argue that they only ordered water while you drank 3 bottles of white.

Maybe Disney should look into making more parades. Parades always seem to draw people off the ride queues. Less riders = less cramming. Maybe then I can get my own horse on the carousel finally. :stir:

You seem to have plenty of room in the parks. I think I see why.

:crowded: :crazy: :crowded:

When we were in MK in October there were a lot of college program CMs. When we were loading for POTC a CM was in training and the trainer CM was telling her to judge by people's size how many people fit in a row.

Not sure if part of the issue was a lot of inexperienced CMs or they really are trying to pack more people on.

We had a CM pack me, my adult sized teenager (she's 5'8") and my 6 y/o on BTM. It was not pleasant. I think that one was inexperience since the other times we rode I was by myself and the kids in front or behind me.

We also experienced cramming on IASW. The ride was a walk-on, and there was no one else behind us, but the CM insisted that DH and I sit with 2 of our adult kids in the front row of the boat. I asked if we could sit 2+2 and was told no (the rest of the boat was empty). Then the CM said I could exit and pointed the way if I didn't want to cram into the boat. Both DH and I left the ride, and the kids rode by themselves. Kind of funny, since they were only going on the ride since DH wanted to. Needless to say, I sent an email to guest services and received a phone call from Disney a couple of days later. As I told guest services, the CM was rude and unreasonable. We obviously were not going to fit and there was no reason to cram us into one row.

We had a similar experience on Splash with a party of 10 (7 adults, 1 14 year old, a 15 year old and a 10 year old, not little kids) They put us all in one boat so we had 3 people in 2 rows. It was not ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter