Who is destashing in 2010?

mrsklamc

<font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what
OK- I have to fess up. I was in on the threads 'The Great Destash of '08' AND '09 and lost my momentum. NOT going to do that again. SO, so far today I have purged the bathrooms/ toiletries, pantry, fridge and freezer. Right now I'm doing the socks and underwear, and then tonight the closet. Anyone else?

I haven't gotten any momentum built up yet, but it's my plan to destash my little corner of Hoosierville in the next week or so.

I spent two hours in the attic earlier this week. I got rid of about 6 large boxes of 'stuff.' The Christmas boxes are still sitting in the middle of the house until the attic is finished.

I also got rid of a couple boxes of things from DDs room before Christmas. Hopefully I can continue on this track!

Ok if I understand this correctly...we are just to purge all the excess stuff in our households. I am doing this with my Christmas stuff. I have so many boxes to put away. I have to be honest I really do not need 20 Santa and Snowman candle holders throughout the house. I will then go to the craft room. This could be fun! My husband is deploying in a month for a year. I told if I have not touched something in a year in will be donated. He told me please dont use that with his stuff. I am a recovering shopaholic so I have lots of stuff around the house, Thanks for the challenge.

This is something I keep working on.

We have three tubs of Xmas lights, for example and how have an artificial tree. So most are going (saving the ones we really like for outside, plus a few extra strands).

I decluttered my cabinet with glasses, water bottles and so on, and my "extra" kitchen" cabinet.

Working on the bathrooms this weekend.

Julia

Did this a bit yesterday. Sent three large black trash bags full of clothing, towels, toys, dishes, etc. plus a kid-sized plastic table/chairs to the local charity.

I am de-stashing too! We just moved and I am throwing/giving away as I unpack. Where does all of this crap come from? I swear I only bought some of it, the rest cloned itself or something.

I definitely am... I got rid of a bunch of boxes this past week, and have a bunch of boxes ready to go to Goodwill. I can't stand having all this stuff!

This is also my goal for 2010. With 6 people in my house we do not need any extras. I am thinking of starting on the master bedroom tonight and moving on from there. I did do my DD's closets earlier this week. The kidney foundation comes on Tuesday , so I hope to have plenty for them. These is a good thread. Thanks.

Count me in! It's getting to the point that I HAVE to. We have a house with limited storage, and there is just nowhere to put anything anymore. Once I get it all orgainzed, I think the new rule will be anytime something new comes into the house, something old goes out.

:rotfl: I remember those threads & was on at least the 2009 one if not both. I have gotten better over the years but still have a long way to go. I'm bad about sending stuff to the garage then it just piles up & sits.

I sent a pile in the garage to Goodwill yesterday and working on my next one. I tried one yard sale & hated it and not having good luck on CL w/my little stuff. I decided it's just easier to donate it than keep sitting on it, planning to make $ off it and not doing anything about it.

Yes, I have been de-cluttering today. I hit the bathroom cabinets, under the kitchen sink, row of kitchen drawers, coat closet shelf and started on basement toys. I realized I do not need to buy anymore cleaning supplies until ALL of what I have is used up. And I don't need to buy more stove cleaner, I already did!

Kids closets are next, more to organize than get rid of since we did that during season change for clothes.

Do you just toss those miscellaneous bits & pieces around the house or try to do something with them? I feel like I end up with piles of just odds & ends and they collect because I don't know what to do with them.

Oooooh! I'm in. I've been de-stuffi-fying all December and the push is on to keep getting rid of stuff. I'm not really working on any one room in particular. First I started with the clothes from before youngest DS was born that I hadn't worn before I got pregnant (ya know the when I loose the baby weight ones. :rotfl: hasn't happened in 7 years so why am I saving them. :confused:)

I also went thru the coat closet and found a bunch of winter clothes that the kids had outgrown a few years ago.

Now I've got to start going thru the toys and christmas stuff and...

My goal is to have it all gone by the end of the month. Of course, a few things I am holding onto for a couple more months, which totally throws that goal out the window. DM and DF are re-doing their house and adding a bar and my DM needs extra dishes and stuff to outfit the bar so I'm giving her a few of the things I was going to donate.

I started a couple weeks before Christmas as my DS's Cub Scout Pack set out to collect donations for a local organization, sent them 2 bags of clothes and six boxes of books (that were already sorted). That with my Mom's donations filled the back of our SUV before any of the other kids things got added to the collection.

Now today, I've started on the Christmas stuff, I have tons that we don't even have room to put out so off it will go. I also sorted the CD's, sold them off and will ship on Monday.

Next up, my closet and DS's bedroom (an ongoing issue).

I am selling some things whenever possible as I am reducing my hours at work later this month in order to go back to school full-time, need to supplement whatever I can.

Good luck to everyone with this monumental task we all face together, but separately.

What kinds of odds and ends? Is it stuff you can take to Goodwill? I agree with a prior poster- Garage sale isn't going to be worth it to me this time. I just want it out of the house!

It's odd stuff like little tiny markers that come with all of DD's craft sets, game pieces that we may or may not still have, kids projects, toy parts that we may or may not still own, keys that I don't know what they fit but don't seem to fit anything here, etc. Weird stuff that might or might not have a purpose.

I'm sooo in. I have 2 bins of dd's clothes to list on Ebay and on Monday I will start tossing the stuff I can't sell. DD7 has to be in school for me to toss stuff otherwise she brings it back into the house LOL. I'm hoping to make some Disney vaca $$ off the clothes, 2 mos ago I made over $600 selling her old clothes which paid for a chunk of our Christmas trip to the World :banana:

It's odd stuff like little tiny markers that come with all of DD's craft sets, game pieces that we may or may not still have, kids projects, toy parts that we may or may not still own, keys that I don't know what they fit but don't seem to fit anything here, etc. Weird stuff that might or might not have a purpose.

I throw that kind of carp in a cardboard box and date it and put it away. If I haven't needed to get anything out of the box in a year then it goes into the trash.

Count me in! For starters I am going to reconsider some of these "extra" holiday decorations--if I haven't used them in a couple of years they are going to the Goodwill. No point in storing things we are not going to use. Then I can start on the closets, they are out of control.

I tried this last year with a lot of momentum in January that fizzled by February. I am really in need of trying this again. Maybe going back to a box a day and first name basis with the guy at goodwill! If I could get through even to May I'd be in better shape than I am now--I have so much stuff and most of it isn't being used. I am going to give it a try starting tomorrow.

I've been destashing for the last year.
Last week, we actually recycled boxes from Christmas after 5 years of use.
But on Thursday, I was upset,
because I had everything cleaned up around the tree and my older kids
came from friends parties, and just dumped all their bags and stuff on my dining room table. I gave them 1/2 hour to clean up what they wanted and put away.
Well, I thought I accidently threw my dd's keys away. She swore up and down they were on the table.

I
had
to
go
look
in the
garbage bags,
on the curb,
which was disgusting
and, some animal tore open a bag
and there was food scattered,
so I had to clean-up that mess-
but I ran into the garage and found
some gloves to wear first.

Finally I remembered that we were going to go to the YMCA on Monday, and she put her keys in her gym bag, because her key card was on her key chain for the YMCA. How I remembered that, who knows.

We never went to the Y, because we had a huge snow storm on Monday, so her bag was in the back seat of my car, in which she had, for work.

She kept texting me and telling me,
they were on the dining room table-
and I was crabby and probably threw them
in the garbage,
when I was decluttering.

That is 2 hours of my life, that I will not get back, because of restashing!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter